• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank PS4 is a complete reimagining, coming 2015, not Q1.

VLiberty

What if they do it like other PS4 games? 30 fps as "standard" + an option for unlocked framerate.

If they really want to go the 30 fps route (which is lame) this is the best compromise

Thrakier

Since they are pushing 30FPS and sub 30FPS lately, I'd guess that the new ratchet also runs at an average framerate below 30FPS? I'd guess that comes with the "reimagining".

20 is pretty far from 11. Of which, just six were mainline.(incl. Nexus)

It's still a high number, no doubt, but it's in line with Jak's releases ratio. It's just that one series was abandoned by the devs at a certain point and the. other not.
Except it's 13, and ten were main releases.

SerTapTap

Except it's 13, and ten were main releases.

I'd hardly count anything except the PS2 and PS3 trilogy as "main releases". Size Matters, Full Frontal Assault definitely not. Actually not sure I'd count Pirate's Booty as one, maybe just Tools and CIT for PS3. Nexus is maybe the closest but is still like 1/3rd to half of a main release.

R&C,2,3,TOD,ACIT,Nexus are main.
Deadlocked, Size Matters, Secret Agent Clank, Qforce and A4O are spin offs.

6+5=11.

The only spin offs are FFA, A4O, and Secret Agent Clank. All of the others (including Quest for Booty and the upcoming game, which makes 13) have the same core gameplay, characters, and are part of the main story line. Being portable or smaller does not make a spin off. A spin off focuses on different characters and/or gameplay mechanics.

I'd hardly count anything except the PS2 and PS3 trilogy as "main releases". Size Matters, Full Frontal Assault definitely not. Actually not sure I'd count Pirate's Booty as one, maybe just Tools and CIT for PS3. Nexus is maybe the closest but is still like 1/3rd to half of a main release.

Well I disagree. Not that it's very important, since it's just a difference in definition. Maybe there should be more than just spin off and main release, because Size Matters is a full blown Ratchet and Clank game in every way, it's just on PSP. Same goes for Deadlocked except he doesn't wear Clank, and Q4B and ItN except they're not as long.

Either way, the franchise still has the most games of any Sony IP and more than double J&D.

VLiberty

The only spin offs are FFA, A4O, and Secret Agent Clank. All of the others (including Quest for Booty and the upcoming game, which makes 13) have the same core gameplay, characters, and are part of the main story line. Being portable or smaller does not make a spin off. A spin off focuses on different characters and/or gameplay mechanics.

Quest for booty is a 2 hours standalone dlc. If you're really counting that one in then you're getting me to think that this is just a biased attempt to make the series look like it's been overly milked.

And while Size Matters is still borderline, Deadlocked definitely does not qualify as a main game, even by your standards.

Ramenman

I was kind of sad to not-see it last weekend. Hope we get more info/images soon (ie before E3...)

I never understood why Sony keeps pushing Ratchet and Clank instead of making a new Jak and Dexter! Makes no sense at all.

Well, because there's still some Insomniac Games staff available to make Ratchet.

There ain't nobody left to make a Jak & Daxter....

Quest for booty is a 2 hours standalone dlc. If you're really counting that one in then you're getting me to think that this is just a biased attempt to make the series look like it's been overly milked.

And while Size Matters is still borderline, Deadlocked definitely does not qualify as a main game, even by your standards.

Oh god no! I don't think the series is milked at all. I love that it gets tons of releases because I'm absolutely crazy about it. Why don't you think Deadlocked fits by my definition?

TripOpt55

So with a reimagining to go alongside the movie, will the story of the game series be starting over from scratch going forward? Like say the movie is successful, would the next game follow along with the plot of the next movie? Or is this just sort of a one-time deal? I guess I fear we may not continue on from Into the Nexus going forward, but that may be irrational on my part.

VLiberty

Oh god no! I don't think the series is milked at all. I love that it gets tons of releases because I'm absolutely crazy about it. Why don't you think Deadlocked fits by my definition?

The core gameplay of the series isn't really there. It's missing the whole platforming and exploration sections. The whole level design is different, as well as how progression is structured. Characters either: aside from Ratchet and Clank, there's just Al. Sasha appears in the intro, Qwark in the ending, maybe there were some cameos here and here but...that's it.

As for the storyline, it's not an argument that can be made for an R&C game. Most of the games except for the Future series are not linked each other if not by a couple of references here and there. And if I remember correctly, what happens in Deadlocked isn't even mentioned in any of the later games.

You forgot Quest for Booty

OT, I hope it's good, unlike everything after ACIT.

Do people really consider QfB as a game? It's a 2 hours standalone addition to TOD.

Just like Freedom Cry is towards AC4. Just like Festival of Blood is towards I2, just like First Light is towards ISS. Unless I've missed something, people aren't saying that First Light is inFamous 5.

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4. As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market.

So it's going to be like this?

20172_front.jpg

I hope the game doesn't just follow the movie's plot

elfinke

Fanfuckingtastic. My favourite shoot em up platformer by far, maybe even my favourite 3d platformer, not having played Sunset.

Knowing it's coming 2015 seals the deal, along with Bloodborne and Driveclub: I'm gonna have to pony up for a PS4 next year.

Jeels

This, Tearaway, Bloodborne, and Until Dawn are my Sony quartet for next year. So much first party goodness.

thuway

This really does feel like the typical PS2-PS3 release window. PS3's first "real" holiday launched with Uncharted and Ratchet. Looks like it's happening again!

boingball

Hopefully Insomniac gives this enough attention. Into the Nexus was ok but not as good as the early PS4 Ratchets. In any case one of my most anticipated games of 2015 and a day 1 purchase.

injurai

Banned
Hopefully Insomniac gives this enough attention. Into the Nexus was ok but not as good as the early PS4 Ratchets. In any case one of my most anticipated games of 2015 and a day 1 purchase.

I feel like they started working on it as a full game. Then Sony wanted to do the reimagined game and movie. So they basically turned it into a smaller game.

This is so weird and feels kind of pointless, what exactly are they reimagining, and how? Why not just another installment building off what they've done? Does this universe really need to be rebooted after 12 years, and so soon after the most recent game? Why can't I stop asking questions?

pixxxelz

I'm so existed for this! Ratchet & Clank is my favorite Sony first party ip, followed closely by my recently discovered Sly Cooper

i just hope they improve the actual platforming segments and mechanics. I felt it was always the worst out of Sly and Jak when it came to platforming

It's a good thing the series is more about blowing stuff up and evolving weapons. The platforming could always be better, but that's really never been a R&C focus.

The puzzles in R&C are definitely the best between Ratchet, Sly and Jak. Each game has a new type of puzzle that scales difficulty well, ranging from interesting change of pace to legitimately challenging. I never see the series get acknowledgement for that.

Better be a solid 30fps like SO, not 20-30 like Into The Nexus.

How about the 60 the series is known for?

Vashetti

Banned
It's a good thing the series is more about blowing stuff up and evolving weapons. The platforming could always be better, but that's really never been a R&C focus.

The puzzles in R&C are definitely the best between Ratchet, Sly and Jak. Each game has a new type of puzzle that scales difficulty well, ranging from interesting change of pace to legitimately challenging. I never see the series get acknowledgement for that.

Some of the Great Clock puzzles with Clank in ACiT actually stumped me for a while and made me think. Great fun.

Nice! Already, I am starting to get a little bit hyped. I am yet to be disappointed by a Ratchet and Clank game, so... Fingers crossed~

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I never understood why Sony keeps pushing Ratchet and Clank instead of making a new Jak and Dexter! Makes no sense at all.

because jak and daxter are for emo man babies and ratchet and clank is fun and awesome.

"We never said Q1"

Ummmmmmmm YEAH they did.

Well OK, to be fair, maybe THEY didn't say it, but Sony definitely did. They said it would coincide with the release of the R&C movie which is spring 2015.

Top Bottom