• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Future Shop typo last night: Brand New PS4s sold for $20.33

Why does this always happen when I'm not at my computer ? sigh

Last night, at around 3:00 AM EST, there was a mistake on the webpage of futureshop.ca: brand new PS4s were being sold for $20.33. Yes, you read that right. Some people were able to buy some, including one guy from Radio NRJ, a popular radio station in Québec, who bought four (page is in French). Under Québec law, the transactions cannot be canceled by the store. Lucky buyers.

Last year it was the crazy Wal-Mart deals and now this. Why can't my poor student self never grab one of these deals when they pop up ? (cries)

Bricky

Well, lowering the price of the PS4 to $20 all around the world is one way to win the December NPD.
/s

khaaan

I should just not go to sleep anymore =(

Edit: Though I wouldn't be surprised if most orders ended up being cancelled.

Ogawa-san

Oh hey, the monthly thread where we high five each other for taking advantage of someone's mistake.

Congratulations on cheap shit and stuff.

duessano

Oh hey, the monthly thread where we high five each other for taking advantage of someone's mistake.

Oh hey, the monthly thread where some killjoy comes to muck it all up.

Company doesn't test price listings before making them live. Finally a consumer friendly law. Vive le Quebec libré!

Aces&Eights

It's one thing if you are shady and change the price tags on items to get a good deal. This is a legitimate transaction. Here in the USA, if you make a "clerical error" while doing your taxes the IRS won't just say, "oh, silly you." They will send you a bill, tack on 18% interest and assess penalties then send you a demand letter for the money. Turn about is fair play.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I believe just Canada and US. If media regions are any indication then Mexico and the rest of North America is lumped in with South America and the Caribbean.
I haven't checked lately but IIRC, the monthly NPD threads are based on the USA.

You say that as though BB is in good shape hah.

Are you assuming Best Buy in Canada is booming?

Ha, touché. They still won't get any sympathy from me, though. Poor corporation.

Pretty much the reason why almost every major contest, sale etc. always has excluding Quebec in their fine print lol.

Yeah, I remember every time Gamespot would run a contest, it was USA+Canada only, and their would be an asterisk next to Canada saying "excluding Québec". At the time, I didn't know why. Now I know, lol. They didn't want to be held accountable for any dumb shit that might happen. Our consumer laws were too common-sense for them.

It's one thing if you are shady and change the price tags on items to get a good deal. This is a legitimate transaction. Here in the USA, if you make a "clerical error" while doing your taxes the IRS won't just say, "oh, silly you." They will send you a bill, tack on 18% interest and assess penalties then send you a demand letter for the money. Turn about is fair play.

Yeah, that's not how it works. You can always submit amended documents to the IRS to clear up your errors. They're actually fairly reasonable.

tkalamba

Why does this always happen when I'm not at my computer ? sigh

Last night, at around 3:00 AM EST, there was a mistake on the webpage of futureshop.ca: brand new PS4s were being sold for $20.33. Yes, you read that right. Some people were able to buy some, including one guy from Radio NRJ, a popular radio station in Québec, who bought four (page is in French). Under Québec law, the transactions cannot be canceled by the store. Lucky buyers.

Last year it was the crazy Wal-Mart deals and now this. Why can't my poor student self never grab one of these deals when they pop up ? (cries)

Samething happened a bit ago with Lenovo laptops, and not a single order was actually honoured, not even in Quebec if I remember correctly. Happened around May I think.

The Act is only enforceable I believe if the order was already accepted by the retailer and processed. They usually have a caveat for online orders that state that the initial order confirmation does not constitute an acceptance of order and that the order can still be cancelled before processing by the supplier. I think the Quebec Act only pertains to orders that are considered accepted, and that is when the whole contract thing actually comes into play.

Dunlop

Yeah, I remember every time Gamespot would run a contest, it was USA+Canada only, and their would be an asterisk next to Canada saying "excluding Québec". At the time, I didn't know why. Now I know, lol. They didn't want to be held accountable for any dumb shit that might happen. Our consumer laws were too common-sense for them.
I believe it it's more because quebec has a tax on these type of contests

The websites actually listed the price as $0.00 for PS4 500gb w/ The Last of Us and Far Cry 4 bundles. People who purchased or reserved got varying prices, such as $2.75 after taxes, but the stores are apparently calling/cancelling orders.

Top Bottom