• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Year Later: Does XB1 still lag behind PS4 for new digital game releases? (yes)

joecanada

I don't know how it works in practical terms but this

"We’ve done it before, and we’ll work with them on that. If another platform does a deal with you as a developer to build an exclusive version of your game for them, and you can’t ship on my platform for a year, when the game comes out in a year let’s just work together to make it special in some way. "

doesn't sound like a quick oh you want to put your game on xbox? sure! response to me....

sounds like a bunch of pr "weve done it before" "make it special in some way"

Through their PlayStation blog(s), Sony definitely gives smaller studios and their games more time to shine in the "mainstream" spotlight. I guess that reflects back on how "Joe Average" views these games, too.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's equivalent Xbox Wire has stories about Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront and 3rd person shooters this month, i.e. all the heavy-hitters. I know there's Major Nelson, too, but he usually just does "It's available now" posts, along with the game description taken from the store.

MS has an entire site devoted with weekly streams.

http://www.idatxbox.com/

Subbed, as always well detailed post chubigans.

Looking down those lists I can barely recognize any of those games at all.

The xb1's list will benefit from backwards compatibility though, the list will grow a lot depending on which games they make compatible first.

To me that just feels like a reaching post IMO. You can't really compare 6 year-old indie games with the indie games we are getting now. It's not like they are ports with upgraded graphics they are just the same.

LQX

A year later and I still do not get the fuss. As a XB1 owner I have no issues with MS requiring additional content if your game is going to be released months later at the same price. You want that extra money XB1 users can potentially provide? Then release your game the time as your PS4 release.

Danneee

Xbox One got Elite Dangerous. That's pretty huge imo and might make me buy a console if it turns out not getting a PS4 release.

Head.spawn

Through their PlayStation blog(s), Sony definitely gives smaller studios and their games more time to shine in the "mainstream" spotlight. I guess that reflects back on how "Joe Average" views these games, too.

Meanwhile, Microsoft's equivalent Xbox Wire has stories about Halo 5, Tomb Raider, Star Wars Battlefront and 3rd person shooters this month, i.e. all the heavy-hitters. I know there's Major Nelson, too, but he usually just does "It's available now" posts, along with the game description taken from the store.

idatxbox.com doesn't count?

An MS website, solely devoted to promoting indies...

Not only that, but if you actually were on xbox wire, you would see clearly that there are indie-based articles this month. There is Halo 5, TR, Battlefront and a third person shooter..... and Gigantic, Elite Dangerous and Pinball FX2. If you are going to pick a few things to form an argument, at least don't leave out relevant opposing information; that makes it look a bit lopsided IMO.

Stanng243

A year later and I still do not get the fuss. As a XB1 owner I have no issues with MS requiring additional content if your game is going to be released months later at the same price. You want that extra money XB1 users can potentially provide? Then release your game the time as your PS4 release.

You do realize some developers simply can't afford to do a simultaneous release?

Subbed, as always well detailed post chubigans.

To me that just feels like a reaching post IMO. You can't really compare 6 year-old indie games with the indie games we are getting now. It's not like they are ports with upgraded graphics they are just the same.

Well......some would say that playing Super Meatboy on X1 is preferable to the PS4 port.

Purest 78

In terms of general public eye, he's not wrong. A lot of people will make noise for Rocket League. There are a few PS4 people who also made noise when #IDARB came out for Xbox. We're just on a gaming forum, so of course every game is going to matter. But to Joe Schmoe who bought a Call of Duty or Destiny bundle? Probably not going to matter to him as much.

Games that a reasonable person wouldn't miss sorry that's a shit post simple and plain.

JaggedSac

I think you missed a few games from September that released on the Bone:

toto temple deluxe
standpoint
fermis path
guns gore cannoli
inside my radio
gunworld
overruled
draw a stickman
aritana and the harpys feather
clusterpuck
nightmares of the deep
quest of dungeons

I would go through the other months to see if you missed any others, but I am waaaaay too lazy.

EDIT: Off the top of my head though, Deer God released in August I believe.

Gnasher

Neo Member
To me that just feels like a reaching post IMO. It's not like they are ports with upgraded graphics they are just the same.

x2v7Wpw.jpg

This is one of the ps4 games listed - kitten squad. Not sure if quality is much of a concern when making lists like those in the op. It's just pure numbers which backwards compatibility will most likely provide.

I'd be interested to know how many of those games on the lists are vita/ps3 ports.

LewieP

Xbox One got Elite Dangerous. That's pretty huge imo and might make me buy a console if it turns out not getting a PS4 release.

They have specifically said it's timed exclusive, and hinted that it will come to PS4. No timeline was given, mind.

RowdyReverb

Didn't the Shovel Knight DLC retail version get canceled on the X1 because of some Microsoft policy?
Something to do with minimum number of retail units printed, supposedly. That wouldn't affect the overall trend though since indie games receiving retail releases on console is far from the norm.

As far as I can tell, the XB1 is basically losing by 1 (Rocket League).

Everything else is digital indie cannon fodder that no reasonable person would miss. This is just "is console x better than console y? #clickbait."

What a stupid post. Really? Is this nonsense of indies titles not being true games still in play?

Sorry, I missed the clickbait part of it. Shame is what I feel... :-(

Reading through some of the replies in this thread, I get the impression that a significant portion Xbox owners do not feel that indie games are worthwhile?

But then you say you and other indie developers have been verbally abused by the community, which doesn't strike me as "we don't care" behavior.

Either way though, genuine apathy or retaliation, I can see why it would be discouraging for developers to bring games to a community that doesn't appreciate them.

LQX

You do realize some developers simply can't afford to do a simultaneous release?

How is it a cost issue if they already plan on multiple console release? And I would think it would cost them more to have to promote the game again rather than promotion for a simultaneous release.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I think you missed a few games from September that released on the Bone:

toto temple deluxe
standpoint
fermis path
guns gore cannoli
inside my radio
gunworld
overruled
draw a stickman
aritana and the harpys feather
clusterpuck
nightmares of the deep
quest of dungeons

I would go through the other months to see if you missed any others, but I am waaaaay too lazy.

Ah yeah I'm missing a week in September as the cutoff date on the release list was the 25th. Thanks, gonna add these ASAP!

Stanng243

How is it a cost issue if they already plan on multiple console release? And I would think it would cost them more to have to promote the game again rather than promotion for a simultaneous release.

Because they can only afford enough programmers to work on one version at a time? We've had developers in these threads stating such before.

bombshell

2129549-169_gamescom2013_sony_indie_catchup_082113.jpg

Microsoft have put themselves in this position with the attitude towards indie devs leading up to and after the launch of Xbox One.

SOMA is amazing, and I'm shocked it's a digital only game. People who criticize the PS4 library and do not own a gaming PC need to search through the library because if I did not follow GAF I wouldn't know how amazing that game is.

Gwyn

But which one is better? Quality > Quantity debate here.
Personally I find Xbox Ones library better than PS4. This is only because they have K̶i̶l̶l̶e̶r̶ ̶I̶n̶s̶t̶i̶n̶c̶t̶ Cuphead(soon!!!).

fixed

N.Domixis

Banned
Release first on ps4 since way BIGGER console base makes more sense if they don't have enough resources for both.

LewieP

Not sure if quality is much of a concern when making lists like those in the op. It's just pure numbers which backwards compatibility will most likely provide.

The thread is about tracking new releases.

But that's not an indie game...............................

An odd quirk of making these kind of comparisons is that there's no watertight definition for what people consider to be "Indie games".

The lists in the OP are ostensibly "digital releases", but they include first party games, games from studios that are part of major corporations (I don't consider News Corporation to be indie), and games which have had both physical and digital releases.

I'm obviously not going to argue that Killer Instinct is "indie", but I can't give a definitive statement as to what is and what isn't. It's kind of a nebulous marketing term. I'd be interested to see a comparison of self published games across the two platforms.

Head.spawn

Which is kind of my point. They're being shoved off to a dedicated, apparently not heavily frequented site while Sony treats the newest Call of Duty trailer and some obscure indie equally on their blog.

Well, I updated my post. You clearly left out three indy mentions that are on the first page.

So, you mentioned three AAA titles and then ignored three indie titles. What was the point?

Doffen

Added Screamride, State of Decay, Ori and the Blind Forest and Halo: Spartan Strike to the lists, as they weren't included as part of the ID@Xbox release lists that I was working off of.

Currently only released on Windows Phone, Windows and iOS.

Your Xbox list looks partial. For example, Frozen Free Fall came out on Xbox One too, but you mentioned it only for PS4. And where's Guns, Gore & Cannoli?
And Crimsonland?
And Clusterpuck 99?
And The Deer God?
And Velocity 2X?
And Teslapunk?
And Guncraft?

And I'm pretty sure there are other ones missing. I suggest scanning the web Xbox store, you should find them all there.

The problem with this opinion is that consumers deserve to decide for themselves whether or not a game is worth the asking price. You and Microsoft shouldn't be stepping in front of people with open wallets and telling them they can't have a finished game.

With respect, the "It's not good enough for me, so it's not good enough for anybody" mentality needs to fuck off.

2129549-169_gamescom2013_sony_indie_catchup_082113.jpg

Microsoft have put themselves in this position with the attitude towards indie devs leading up to and after the launch of Xbox One.

Pretty sure Microsoft were on the indie train before Sony. Starting with allowing people to develop and publish on their system with games such as Super Meat Boy, Braid and Fez. Even to much smaller indie developers with the indie marketplace on the 360...which obviously led to complete crap being put on there. Combined with being able to giving people development tools such as XNA. PS3 didn't have any of this other than the big indies(oxymoron)?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
As far as I can tell, the XB1 is basically losing by 1 (Rocket League).

Everything else is digital indie cannon fodder that no reasonable person would miss. This is just "is console x better than console y? #clickbait."
I've heard of the other 2.

Again, I doubt "random horror game that will be in a humble bundle or $1.99 on Steam soon" is moving the needle and helping people buy 1 console over the other.
Ah, that good ol' argument where the only games that matter are ones that singularly, significantly, and directly sell consoles. What silliness.

Hoje0308

Banned
I am not even sure what "SOMA" stands for so I will assume not and, as far as I can tell, I don't think Hotline Miami 2 is setting the world on fire.

Again, seems like 1 game of consequence is on PS4 and not on XB1 (yet).

"I don't know what that is, therefore your point is irrelevant."

What a shit post. You claim no reasonable person could miss those games while having the balls to say the OP is clickbait and when presented with examples of games reasonable people care about, you bust out the weakest response I've seen in quite some time. Go take a nap, kid.

Pretty sure Microsoft were on the indie train before Sony. Starting with allowing people to develop and publish on their system with games such as Super Meat Boy, Braid and Fez. Even to much smaller indie developers with the indie marketplace on the 360...which obviously led to complete crap being put on there. Combined with being able to giving people development tools such as XNA. PS3 didn't have any of this other than the big indies(oxymoron)?

PS3 and Xbox 360 were a generation ago. We're on PS4 and XB1 now. Try and keep up.

Conduit

Banned
MS inadvertently fostered an attitude towards indie games on their platform. With Phil Spencer calling for indie games to have "exclusive" content for their platforms so that XB1 owners don't feel like "second class citizens," most XB1 gamers incorrectly assumed that the early release drought was due to a form of quality control that MS had implemented, when in fact there was no quality control at all- there just weren't any games being released at that time. One dev contacted me and lamented that his/her big PS4/Steam/XB1 game announcement was marred by a lot of the Xbox community spouting vitriol and hate towards them, and how he/she wished that they didn't announce for the XB1 at all. Now, I'm not about to pretend that the PS4 or even Steam communities are even remotely free from anything like that, but the Xbox community really is something else. I even heard from them when I announced my game for PS4/Steam only...not so much because they wanted to know why my game wasn't announced for XB1, but to let me know my game wasn't welcomed on their platform. Fun stuff.

WTF?

EDIT :
There really is a lot of crap on both consoles that are just clogging the system. I'm not fanboy but I would honestly say that PS4 has a lot more "crap" on it than the Xbox One does. If that's a plus, then so be it.

Well, nothing weird then.

Top Bottom