• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing local multiplayer is one of the biggest loses to modern gaming. *Pics & Story*

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
15389911653_7694b2a4e7_b.jpg

I just got done playing Smash Bros with about 9 people from 6pm until 1 in the morning. It was an absolutely phenomenal experience - one of the best video game memories I've made in years.

Little back story - always been a Nintendo fan, but none of their games really "yank" me in outside of a couple classics. I've always bought the new Smash Bros, and I play casually, but I've never been more than an amateur at best. But for some reason, the new Smash game really captivated me over the last year. I think it's a combination of finally having a 1080p/60fps version that feels "definitive," and having a very worthwhile handheld version that you can play on the go as - at the very least - practice.

When I got Smash Bros for 3DS, I fell in love. It's so much fun - it's the epitome of "one more round" gameplay. The controls are tight, the graphics solid, but most importantly... it's just fun.

I don't know how, but I managed to convince a large handful of co-workers to buy 3DS systems of their own (yes, they know about the upcoming new model), and a copy of the game. Over the last couple months, we've mad little mini-tournaments: four or five of us will get together over lunch, or steal a conference room after hours or even hang out for a few hours and play. We can play if we travel together. It's fun on the airplane. And, it's just fun to compare stats and whatnot.

Tonight I organized for a large group to come together at my apartment.

My best friend
Six great co-workers
Two of my cousins

I invited a couple others, too, that unfortunately couldn't make it. But I bought a bunch of Gamecube controllers, splurged on an extra adapter, and bought a bunch of pizza and chips. Told everyone to just bring a small case of beer with them, and we'd call it even.

What unfolded was seven hours of non-stop fun.

Just... non-stop.

We did 8-player Smash. We did teams. We did un-even teams to respect the Master Chief Collection. We did 4-player. We did 1 on 1. We did a tournament. We did another tournament. We did free-for all for 5 minutes, for 1 minute, with items and without.

But here's the kicker: the variety of people we had there, and the skill levels that were playing together are so incredibly varied. My best friend and I play games all the time - but not Smash. My cousins play a bit less, but probably more Smash. My co-workers hadn't TOUCHED a video game outside of FIFA in years, with only one or two playing games like Call of Duty, too. A few had good memories of Smash on '64. One guy hasn't touched a video game that isn't Mario Kart in a decade (fun fact, he bought a 3DS yesterday, too, after playing mine).

The point is - is that Nintendo has crafted a game that almost anyone can like, feel good at, and have fun with. There were a couple of guys who lost almost every match, and yeah - they talked shit - but they didn't get pissed off. It was fun! More fun was the rare upset. Those of that kicked ass didn't get bored. We were enthralled. Everyone has a favorite character. Everyone has good memories of playing games when they were younger, and it's fun to get to play a character from your childhood.

Here's the deal: Smash was so much FUN tonight. It felt fair and exciting and enthralling. It brought a bunch of us together and allowed us to experience comfy-couch-gaming like no games really do now. EIGHT PLAYERS on one TV. Pure chaos. And so much fun.

This isn't to say that Nintendo is the only company doing this. That's absurd. There are a lot of pure, fun multiplayer games out there. There are a lot of games that do a lot of things better, and lot of capable studios. But, my best friend and I took Nov 11th off for MCC, and didn't get to play but 2 or 3 matches all day. It's still broken. I love TF2, but I'm at a desk by myself in my room. Drive club is GREAT, but the multi is still partially broken and I'm not enjoying Splitscreen. Yeah, CoD LAN is great, but it's hard to setup and get enough TVs and systems. And no matter what, most the time you're playing with people who already play the game. But this is different. With Smash, it's just as much fun to play with people who are just picking up the controller for the first time. It's easy enough to have fun, and it's deep enough to get incredibly skillful. And even more importantly, there's something that's just inherently lost when you're not next to the people you're playing with and/or against. Convincing someone to buy a console, a subscription, a game, and hop online to play with you is tough if they're not "into it." Asking them to come over, drink some beer, eat some pizza, and enjoy some video games with a bunch of friends is a lot, lot easier.

TL;DR If you have a chance to put together a local Smash Bros get together - I implore you to do it. I assure you - if you like video games, you'll have an amazing time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfNCPtshiQc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDxUHLj20-4

(Yeah, we all sound a little "bro," but I promise we're not. That's just what several hours of drinking will do to you)

15389911003_314d907eb0_b.jpg

15823520749_3dbbc855a0_b.jpg

15983756106_5fff728cd1_b.jpg

15382662073_f8f31e7815_b.jpg

15233806194_e7376a64a3_b.jpg

I saw the thread title and was gonna say "Buy a Wii U" and drop the mic and wait for everyone to quote me and say how right I was but then I read the thread.
I had a similar experience not too long ago. 8 player Smash and copious amounts of booze resulted in a really fun night and 6 of the 7 people I had over weren't gamers and could care less about games. I'm glad Nintendo is keeping local MP alive.

Redrop

Such warm humanity in this thread. I really enjoyed reading (skimming) it. :p

My only criticism of 8 player smash is the stage selection, really. If they simply bit the bullet and allowed for custom stages with 8 player, I think you really would have the ultimate get-together game.

Besides that, it really is an awesome experience. One of my favorite moments from a recent 8 player session I had with some friends was when three Little Macs set off KO punches in succession. So glorious.

Many of the best times I have had in 25 years of gaming are local multiplayer experiences.

Doom (local link), Gauntlet, Bubble Bobble, Contra, Mario, TimeSplitters, Baldurs Gate...god it all brings back so many good memories.

Cool story bro.

Honestly. Cool story. Haven't had a gaming night like that since Tigerwoods Golf in 2005. Glad Nintendo is keeping the dream alive.

Ah the good times of local multi-player. Brings back wonderful memories especially of Halo: CE with 2 OG Xboxes and 8 friends playing for hours on end. Those were the days....

IMACOMPUTA

Legit lol'd at the expense of MCC while reading that :)
My cousin has a wii u and smash.. I anticipate a get together similar to yours in my near future.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Already got an 8-player event planned with old friends for Christmas week.

I game at local fighting game events on a bi-weekly basis already, though, so I'd hardly consider local multi to be "dead." I let my Xbox Live subscription lapse over 2 years ago and don't miss it one bit.

RedAssedApe

Banned
post made me very nostalgic. :) used to do this a ton back in high school and college in the 90s and early 2000s. sadly the younger kids probably never got to experience much of this.

Deadstar

One of the many reasons why I started playing board games with my friends. Online is fun but you lose the human element. You really do miss something not being in the same room as your friends.

BlazeVoi

Banned
Its not that everyone doesn't want to so what you did, it is that is nearly impossible to get everyone in one place AND wanting to play games holy shit.

Holy shit.

Online play is my savior. Especially for people like me that dont have the luxury of knowing gamers irl and not across the Earth.

vareon

That sounds like helluva plan. Circumstances made me unable to play as much as I could but there's such session in the end of the year and I'm really looking forward to it.

Same thing happened with Monster Hunter, too. There's just something different in directly yelling at people beside you to throw a lifepowder, or seeing their reactions when they got smashed by a Brachydios.

Hikami

Great story. Man, I haven't had one of these gaming nights since the gamecube/ps2. Most local gamer friends I had pretty much all dispersed once we hit college.
Local multiplayer is great and all but, online is my savior since its impossible for me to organize these things now with most of my friends living all around the world.

Dizzy-4U

This thread hits me right in the spot. I'm 34 and still hang out with my childhood friends. Everyone is married, working and have a very busy life but somehow everyone makes the time to gather at my place every friday night to play some video games. We mostly play N64 since that was our multiplayer console of choice since forever. We mix it up with all the other consoles (I'm some sort of a collector wannabe) and lately with PC.

Some of our picks (They rotate depending on the mood of the night):

- Goldeneye (N64)
- Snowboard Kids (N64)
- Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
- Mario Party 2 (N64)
- NBA Hangtime (N64)

- Beach Spikers (GC) <----- This game is so damn good.
- Mario Party 7 (GC)
- Mario Tennis (GC)
- Mario Golf (GC)
- Timespliters 2 (GC)

- Micromachines V4 (PS2)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2)
- Track & Field (PS2)

- 3 on 3 NHL Arcade (360)
- Warlords Classic (360)
- Dungeons and Dragons (360)
- Perfect Dark XBLA (360)

- Blur (PC)
- Gang Beasts (PC)
- Hidden in Plain Sight (PC)
- Mount Your Friends (PC)
- Speedrunners (PC)
- Towerfall (PC)
- Virtua Tennis 4 (PC)

- Bust a Groove (PSX)
- Guitar Freaks (PSX)
- Winter Heat (Saturn)
- Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
- Street Fighter (all of them across different systems)

I have a WiiU and recently bought 4 pro controllers so Smash is definitely coming one of these nights.

PS: I'm dying to get a Dreamcast but it's really hard to find one in good shape over here. Someday....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Amazing OP but.

Your title says biggest loss to modern gaming - but I do think it is having a mini renaissance. Recently I've played fibbage, drawful, Johan Sebastian joust, mario kart, niddhog, tower fall ascension. Not all of them are lots of players (honestly nidhogg gets in just because it is so great) but I haven't had so many local multiplayer games for a good long time. And obviously I wants more.

Smash never really clicked with me but maybe I'll give it a go on WiiU.

wildfire

Banned
Well Splatoon will have local multiplayer. So at least one FPS this generation won't suck with friends coming over.

I'm so jealous OP. I want a moment like that. I wish people around me were gamers :(

It's nice that Nintendo focuses on whats fun with 8 player Smash.

RedSwirl

“I do think that consoles trying to concentrate on online rather than local multiplayer will be remembered as a huge mistake.”

– Ben “Yahtzee” Croshaw of Zero Punctuation in a VICE interview

I really do believe this, because the way I see it, local multiplayer is the default multiplayer of console gaming. It's what console gaming was designed around.

Don't get me wrong, I think online on consoles is fine (if mainly as an alternative for when you can't organize local), but the way it's currently implemented is just a shoddy imitation of PC online gaming. When I play games online these days, it's on PC 99% of the time. I just don't like how much console online has been built around matchmaking with random people on peer-to-peer connections. If dedicated servers with actual server browsers and dare I say private servers were standard or even common on consoles the story might be different. With dedicated servers you at least get communities that develop online, not too different from forums when you think about it. I just wish someone would try to figure out a way of online gaming that actually feels right for consoles.

That's why I at least appreciate Nintendo for trying to figure out another way of doing online, even if its first attempts were pretty terrible. I actually get the idea behind friend codes -- mainly centering your online gaming around people you already know instead of a bunch of strangers. The implementation was just nonsensical. I guess quick join with friends lists and Microsoft's party/couch system are a really good attempt at the same effect, but console manufacturers need to go further. I don't know why Nintendo didn't take Mario Kart 7's online communities feature and make it system-wide on the Wii U. They need to do something.

In the meantime though, I still think any game where it makes sense should at least have local multiplayer as one option. Actually, right now there are enough games on the new consoles (and even PC) that feature it, you just have to really look for them. The best game for local multiplayer on PS4 or Xbox One is probably Diablo III.

This thread hits me right in the spot. I'm 34 and still hang out with my childhood friends. Everyone is married, working and have a very busy life but somehow everyone makes the time to gather at my place every friday night to play some video games. We mostly play N64 since that was our multiplayer console of choice since forever. We mix it up with all the other consoles (I'm some sort of a collector wannabe) and lately with PC.

Some of our picks (They rotate depending on the mood of the night):

- Goldeneye (N64)
- Snowboard Kids (N64)
- Beetle Adventure Racing (N64)
- Mario Party 2 (N64)
- NBA Hangtime (N64)

- Beach Spikers (GC) <----- This game is so damn good.
- Mario Party 7 (GC)
- Mario Tennis (GC)
- Mario Golf (GC)
- Timespliters 2 (GC)

- Micromachines V4 (PS2)
- Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (PS2)
- Track & Field (PS2)

- 3 on 3 NHL Arcade (360)
- Warlords Classic (360)
- Dungeons and Dragons (360)
- Perfect Dark XBLA (360)

- Blur (PC)
- Gang Beasts (PC)
- Hidden in Plain Sight (PC)
- Mount Your Friends (PC)
- Speedrunners (PC)
- Towerfall (PC)
- Virtua Tennis 4 (PC)

- Bust a Groove (PSX)
- Guitar Freaks (PSX)
- Winter Heat (Saturn)
- Saturn Bomberman (Saturn)
- Street Fighter (all of them across different systems)

I have a WiiU and recently bought 4 pro controllers so Smash is definitely coming one of these nights.

PS: I'm dying to get a Dreamcast but it's really hard to find one in good shape over here. Someday....

Glad to see another 3 on 3 NHL Arcade fan. It was great and I was obsessed with it, and would love to get a sequel but we won't. Ended up playing it so much that I was something like 150 on the leaderboards with a ton of wins.

killatopak

Good for you OP that you still have close friends to play with you locally. Playing with my friends gets harder the more I get old. They get busy and stuff.

vareon

Amazing OP but.

Your title says biggest loss to modern gaming - but I do think it is having a mini renaissance. Recently I've played fibbage, drawful, Johan Sebastian joust, mario kart, niddhog, tower fall ascension. Not all of them are lots of players (honestly nidhogg gets in just because it is so great) but I haven't had so many local multiplayer games for a good long time. And obviously I wants more.

Smash never really clicked with me but maybe I'll give it a go on WiiU.

Yeah, as with many other genres, indies helped a lot in fields where other companies cannot.

Yeah, local multiplayer is some of the most fun I can have playing video games. It's the only reason I still bother buying sports games

It is idiotic that the best platform for local multiplayer may be the PC.

A lot of the indies may also be on the PS4 mostly, but I have great fun with Sonic All-stars, Towerfall, Gang Beasts, Mortal Kombat, Jamestown, Octodad, Nidhogg, Monaco.

Riposte

Every time this subject comes up, it's really annoying.

Nintendo makes a racing game - "Finally there's a racing game with local multiplayer!"

Nintendo makes a fighting game (or indies make dumbed-down fighting games) - "Finally there's a fighting game with local multiplayer!"

Do I need to explain what's wrong here?

Putting aside genres, there's local multiplayer in a lot of games if you actually look. Yes, even those "AAA" games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Losing local multiplayer is one of the biggest loses to modern gaming.

Yep. I agree.

I even bought the recent version of Gauntlet (PC) to enjoy local multiplayer with my kids. Good times.

Dizzy-4U

Glad to see another 3 on 3 NHL Arcade fan. It was great and I was obsessed with it, and would love to get a sequel but we won't. Ended up playing it so much that I was something like 150 on the leaderboards with a ton of wins.
No idea about hockey at all and yet it was so simple and addictive. One of my friends laughs his ass off every time someone steps on the banana peel. He just can't control it.

Dizzy-4U you forgot..

0.jpg
I know there were some great wrestling games for the N64 but since wrestling didn't exist over here, those games were kind of hard to find. Which one was the best? I'll track it down and give it a shot for sure.

vareon

Every time this subject comes up, it's really annoying.

Nintendo makes a racing game - "Finally there's a racing game with local multiplayer!"

Nintendo makes a fighting game (or indies make dumbed-down fighting games) - "Finally there's a fighting game with local multiplayer!"

Do I need to explain what's wrong here?

Putting aside genres, there's local multiplayer in a lot of games if you actually look. Yes, even those "AAA" games.

That is not what the OP is saying at all--you're clouded by the fact that he made Smash Bros as a point. OP even made a point that there are a lot of companies other than Nintendo is doing this in the first post

Ferrio

Banned
Indies are really picking up the slack though. Lot of really good ones out there right now. Towerfall, gang beasts, broforce, nidhogg, lethal league etc..

Riposte

That is not what the OP is saying at all--you're clouded by the fact that he made Smash Bros as a point. OP even made a point that there are a lot of companies other than Nintendo is doing this in the first post

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with what the OP said, although I admit only skimming through it. There's more than enough posts in this thread that cover exactly what I mean.

kazegami

I wish I was invited, too :)

Btw I miss 4 player multitap Tekken Tag and Urban Reign matches with my old friends on PS2

Indeed. The frequent push for local multiplayer to "lucky to have it" is a really sad development.

It also ensures that those online-only multiplayer games become "you had to be there" games that are eternally stuck in the past. Once the servers go down, the experience is effectively gone.

But I can still pop in MK64 and Block Fort is as fun as ever.

Nekofrog

Banned
i'm not 20something years old anymore and i dont have time to wait for my schedule and all my friends schedules to line up one magical fortnight for two hours to play games with them

geordiemp

Problem with most local multiplayer Screen sharing is its lost in time like its 1990's + genre....

Most local games are 2D camera type fighters, platformers or top down plan view Gauntlet or Diablo...esque..

Or you could get 4 to play a split screen racer or maybe a 4 player game of Footy (soccer for US).

Things have not changed much in last 20 years as the same game types are the ones with this feature - Old guy here remembering student days multiplayer.

Today I use 2 Ps4 / 2 360's and 2 TV's, its local coop but allows 2 players allot more gaming options. Black ops 2 zombies being one of the best (and dare I say Destiny lol)

I guess that for sharing a TV screen you are limited to the same type of games....

This story warms my heart. With any luck, I'll be replicating this in a few weeks. My best friend is in the middle of a move and another friend of mine who likes Smash is similarly unavailable. The missus and I play every day, though.

Any GAFers around Madrid, Spain?

My my my, what a heartwarming thread :D

And people want Nintendo to go mobile smh

Indeed I shake my head every time people shout for Nintendo to pull a Squenix

Indeed. The frequent push for local multiplayer to "lucky to have it" is a really sad development.

It also ensures that those online-only multiplayer games become "you had to be there" games that are eternally stuck in the past. Once the servers go down, the experience is effectively gone.

But I can still pop in MK64 and Block Fort is as fun as ever.

This is why Im glad so many Nintendo DS games had local multiplayer

As a kid I only played local multiplayer 4 or 5 times in my entire childhood so I took to playing strategy, rpgs and strategy/pc games, then my love for horror blossomed as a teen. Glad I was able to rectify this as I grew older.

Neo Dark

Problem with most local multiplayer Screen sharing is its lost in time like its 1990's + genre....

Most local games are 2D camera type fighters, platformers or top down plan view Gauntlet or Diablo...esque..

Or you could get 4 to play a split screen racer or maybe a 4 player game of Footy (soccer for US).

Things have not changed much in last 20 years as the same game types are the ones with this feature - Old guy here remembering student days multiplayer.

Today I use 2 Ps4 / 2 360's and 2 TV's, its local coop but allows 2 players allot more gaming options. Black ops 2 zombies being one of the best (and dare I say Destiny lol)

I guess that for sharing a TV screen you are limited to the same type of games....

I think Hyrule Warriors was a great execution of having that and how the Wii U gamepad should be used for local multiplayers. One console and one TV but two different views of the same game. It's a shame Nintendo didn't do it for Mario Kart

Yat&#333;kiri_Kilgharrah;143110969 said:
This is why Im glad so many Nintendo DS games had local multiplayer

As a kid I only played local multiplayer 4 or 5 times in my entire childhood so I took to playing strategy, rpgs and strategy/pc games, then my love for horror blossomed as a teen. Glad I was able to rectify this as I grew older.

Completely forgot the DS and 3DS have functions like this. I remember back in high school, I'd be in the library and my friends and I would all be playing local multiplayer games. Good times

Local multiplayer definitely is great to have even if you can't have it all the time. Going to my friend's house for a smash party on launch date was essentially something like OP describes (though about half the time since I showed up late).

And people want Nintendo to go mobile smh
There's probably like three people on GAF that WANT Nintendo to go mobile. There's a fair amount of people who think it would be a good idea from a business perspective if they put games on mobile platforms.

I like local multiplayer but I can't remember when I since played something, I think it was SFIV or Rayman Legends with my girlfriend for a while.

I don't have that many friends that play video games and I especially don't have the time and resources to organize playdates so I can play a game. Which is why online multiplayer is the biggest gain in modern gaming (since the 90's)

StayDead

The problem people have, which thankfully I don't have with local multiplayer and this is especially amongst the people I hang around with on mumble is that as we grow up many people either feel weird inviting people to their house to play games (which quite frankly I find ridiculous, if you're friends you should do what you enjoy, not what society tells you to do) or they don't have any friends locally anymore to play local multiplayer so to them they view it as a waste of time.

I love local multi and have my friends over as often as I can to get it done, but I also like online and I think devs need to strike a balance between the two. Only online sucks, but only local sucks as well if you don't have anyone to play with locally.

Top Bottom