• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SWTOR: Shadow of Revan |OT| "This is the final chapter in his story. Probably."

Lucifon

I bought this a month or so ago when they were running the xp boost promo. I wanted to get back into it. Then I played it...and I felt bored :( Now I have an expansion with no intention of playing it. Damn my MMO itch scratching urges.

Well, the story of Revan stop making sense to me when 4 random dude killed him. I mean, he was one of the strongest Jedi/sith who has control on both dark and light side of the force.

The characters in SWTOR are not random guys, each is a major galactic hero with their own epic story lines. The Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior class stories have you playing out as some of the most powerful characters in the galaxy.

Some people see it being a MMO, that the characters are faceless random folks, but from the game's narrative, each of the 8 character classes stories have you playing out a major epic hero/villain of the SW universe who save planets, fate of the universe, cause major political changes, etc, etc

According to the book 'Revan', the Jedi Knight character of SWTOR is capable of doing what Revan was not going to succeed at.

People are just upset because they have this notion that Revan is somehow the ultimate jedi badass. He beat one other Sith Lord down as his big bad accomplishment, he lead an interesting tale of a life, but nowhere in the lore do they make him out to be anything special. Heck even KOTOR2 made the Exile seem more important than Revan.

Moff

Well, the story of Revan stop making sense to me when 4 random dude killed him. I mean, he was one of the strongest Jedi/sith who has control on both dark and light side of the force.

I dont see why 4 other strong sith/jedi couldnt take him down, the jedi knight for isntance kills the emperor.

but if it comforts you, Revan was in a "weakened state" because he was tortured/drained by the sith emperor for a few hundred years. which is probably why it now takes 8 random dudes to take him down after he had some time to recover.

hmmmm must be a new thing. Remember having to respec back at the station before.

Never really understood why respecing should cost any money.

it's part of the legacy system which was introduced about half a year after launch if I remember correctly.
subscribers do not have respec fees btw.

My god! Forget that, the entire post KOTOR-2 business is some of the most convoluted nonsense I have ever read.
It's like they attempted to please everyone and not only have the cake but eat it too.

We really needed a KOTOR 3 in the style of Mass Effect where Revan just dies and gets a respectful funeral...

LastNac

don't worry, it never was.
giphy.gif

Enough of that BS.

Anyway, Filoni rendered a model for the Clone Wars appearance, didn't use it, and has expressed an interest in bringing things that were cut from TCW into Rebels. Actually pleased how things worked out though, I'm tired of everything star wars being connected to the films and that was what Revan's appearance was going to amount to.

revan2.PNG

Not to mention TOR isn't released under the Legends banner and the Lucasfilm story group was involved.

Finally, it's the most beloved Star Wars era after the OT, of course it is going to get canonized.

Felspawn

giphy.gif

Enough of that BS.

Anyway, Filoni rendered a model for the Clone Wars appearance, didn't use it, and has expressed an interest in bringing things that were cut from TCW into Rebels. Actually pleased how things worked out though, I'm tired of everything star wars being connected to the films and that was what Revan's appearance was going to amount to.

revan2.PNG

Not to mention TOR isn't released under the Legends banner and the Lucasfilm story group was involved.

Finally, it's the most beloved Star Wars era after the OT, of course it is going to get canonized.

From what i've read the only reason Revan and Bane didnt show up in that episode of Clone Wars is Lucas made the call that Dark siders dont get Force Ghosts. I REALLY hope he gets overruled in Episode 7

Dysun

Read the spoilers and watched a YouTube video of the final confrontation. Wow, that was botched. Him and the exile were totally wasted

Man I remember trying so hard to love this game back at launch with the Empire side GAF guild. Fun times with the guild...the game not as much.

I bet my character names are taken. No more Agent Thursday or Lord Tee'hee T_T

Moff

I think that was discussed over in the episode VII spoiler thread, wasnt it? it is legends as far as I know.
we'll see if they make revan canon. I believe there is a reason they only bane but not revan in the clone wars finale.
bane didnt look at all what he looke like in the EU btw.

anyway, revan isnt and never was canon. and honestly it doesnt matter to me at all if they make him. but if they did, it would certainly be with SWTOR and not only KOTOR.

From what i've read the only reason Revan and Bane didnt show up in that episode of Clone Wars is Lucas made the call that Dark siders dont get Force Ghosts. I REALLY hope he gets overruled in Episode 7

but bane was in that episode. it raises the question why the story group included him but canned revan. the answer seems obvious.

giphy.gif

Enough of that BS.

revan2.PNG

Using stuff from the EU had nothing to do with making those items canon, they take and use what they want. Ventress origins for example were taken from the comics, and altered to fit with what they want. TCW did a ton of this, taking from the EU ideas only, but it did not make the original EU material canon in any way.

but bane was in that episode. it raises the question why the story group included him but canned revan. the answer seems obvious.

Bane didn't appear in that episode. Bane was also cut from the same ep of the TCW that Revan was going to appear in. His model was based off the novel version of the character. Bane appeared in the last season ep though, yet his design was nothing like the novelizations and past renditions of the character from the EU.

So tempted... I had a max level Sith Sorcerer when it first came out... Then everyone stopped playing and I had no one to do end game content with me!

Then when it went F2P I was turned off by having to change my character name, lol. I bought the Collector's Edition, that alone should reserve my name, heh. Also turned off that I had to pay to play Flashpoints...

But... Maybe I want to give this a shot... It's Revan...

Moff

Bane didn't appear in that episode. Bane was also cut from the same ep of the TCW that Revan was going to appear in. His model was based off the novel version of the character. Bane appeared in the last season ep though, yet his design was nothing like the novelizations and past renditions of the character from the EU.
I thought the last season ep is what we are talking about? is there another?

edit: read up on it. I didnt know that, I loved that episode, it would have blown my mind if revan and bane would have appeared there, pretty amazing.
but speaks volumes about the chances that revan will ever be canon. he wont.

Cystm

So tempted... I had a max level Sith Sorcerer when it first came out... Then everyone stopped playing and I had no one to do end game content with me!

Then when it went F2P I was turned off by having to change my character name, lol. I bought the Collector's Edition, that alone should reserve my name, heh. Also turned off that I had to pay to play Flashpoints...

But... Maybe I want to give this a shot... It's Revan...

Join the GAF guild if you want people to play with.

Oh wow, just realized all my old characters were deleted. That suuuuucks, can't believed I paid $15 a month for close to a year. Even Blizzard still has my characters on record even when their server died they just transferred them for me.

Note to self, this is why you don't buy MMOs at launch that go F2P.

Edit: Which means all the stuff I purchased is also moot lol. Awesome.

Moff

I am not aware that characters were ever deleted by bioware. they have no reason to, it would only do them harm.
the only thing they did was that they gave up names for unused low level characters. I think you have another problem or you got hacked.

maybe they transferred to another sever? have you had a look at the server list? it shows the number of your characters on every server. try changing the region, too.

Jtrizzy

Yeah I bought this at launch and never got into it. I just reinstalled though. Is there much enjoyment for me to be had starting from scratch and not subscribing? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I am not aware that characters were ever deleted by bioware. they have no reason to, it would only do them harm.
the only thing they did was that they gave up names for unused low level characters. I think you have another problem or you got hacked.

maybe they transferred to another sever? have you had a look at the server list? it shows the number of your characters on every server. try changing the region, too.

Crisis averted...wrong account. :3

Cystm

Yeah I bought this at launch and never got into it. I just reinstalled though. Is there much enjoyment for me to be had starting from scratch and not subscribing? Any guidance would be appreciated.

GAF is on Jedi Covenant. You can purchase account wide unlocks via the auction house for in game currency and should pick up the going places bundle. Rocket boots are essential for me when playing this game.

Karak

...Haven't logged in in a great deal of time and my account is filled with a ton of cartel market orange items. Just filled. They all suck and can't be sold. Do I care about them?

Also I asked in the main thread awhile ago. Would love a gaf guild invite. Styygian.

Moff

My guy was max level and they made me change my name when I tried to play again...

yeah that's right, when the servers merged and two people had the same name one had to give it up.
what I meant was an additional issue where they even gave up names without such a conflict. simply to make "reserved" names of unused low level characters available again.

BigDes

Using stuff from the EU had nothing to do with making those items canon, they take and use what they want. Ventress origins for example were taken from the comics, and altered to fit with what they want. TCW did a ton of this, taking from the EU ideas only, but it did not make the original EU material canon in any way.

I thought Ventress came from the original Clone Wars cartoon?

The one that is now super not canon

Top Bottom