• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is black suit Spider-Man the most iconic costume switch in comic history?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I know superheroes switch their costumes out all the time, but most of the time they don't stick

Except one

Symbiote_Spidey.jpg

Ever since he first rocked it in secret wars I can't remember any superhero costume so recognized and well know.

Every Spidey cartoon after the 90s? gotta have the suit

Every Spidey game after the 90s except the first two movie ones? gotta have the suit

Hell the Ultimate Spidey game had it as a major plot point. Web of Shadows game had it as a major gameplay element. One of the Shattered Dimensions Spider-Men was just the black suit

Spidey 3 marketed itself on the fact that it had the suit in the movie

All this for a suit that spidey didn't even rock first:
2003294-spider_womanxf.jpg

Where are Julia's royalties Marvel?

Sephzilla

It's probably the only alternate superhero costume that is subjectively as good as the primary one. It's also iconic because it eventually lead to one of the better Spidey villains of all time as well.

Ultima_5

01-ori_010.jpg

brown suit wolverine is up there for me too. not really iconic story-wise, but i def think of it when i think of wolverine

OnPoint

Come on are we really discounting Superman 2: Electric Boogaloo?

superman_blue_by_superman3d-d4p8083.png

Yes, Spidey's black suit is
probably the best ever

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I had a Symbiote Spidey toy when I was going up. He was my absolute favorite. It had a little chest piece that pulled out a piece of string and would wind up so he could climb.

It was awesome.

no mention of Penance?
(on 2nd thought, better not)

what about Cyclops and his goggles?

The only good thing about Penance is how quickly Marvel decided it was stupid and then made it a point to have every character shit on it

probably the best ever

Electric Superman is honestly not a completely terrible look, just bad for Superman. he eventually gave the suit to Livewire and suddenly the suit looked good

Livewire_New_Costume.jpg

Lmo911

Batman Blue Cowl, Yellow Oval -> Black cowl, TDKR-like bat on chest?

I don't know if you can compare the change of the bat logo to a full costume switch. If you went Batman to Tim Burton Batman, you might have a point. The black costume changes the character, is thematically appropriate, and is now almost an indicator that Parker is done with your BS. I don't think any other character has anything else like it. Others have tried, but it just doesn't work as well.

Yellow/Brown Wolverine is so much better than blue/yellow but lacks gravitas. I'd give it second place.

EDIT: Ya know if you count Superior Spider-Man, 2099 and Miles Morales, Spidey really has this in the bag. I mean he's had some stinker alt costumes, but his good ones really set a tone for their entire arcs/series like no other.

I had a Symbiote Spidey toy when I was going up. He was my absolute favorite. It had a little chest piece that pulled out a piece of string and would wind up so he could climb.

It was awesome.

I had the same one. Eventually he price broke off so he had a gaping hole in his chest

does this count as a switch or an incremental upgrade?

ironmancomicnewarmorwide.jpg

Bleeding Edge & beyond

It's the only thing that gets close to Black Suit Spiderman IMO

Slayven

The only good thing about Penance is how quickly Marvel decided it was stupid and then made it a point to have every character shit on it

Electric Superman is honestly not a completely terrible look, just bad for Superman. he eventually gave the suit to Livewire and suddenly the suit looked good

Livewire_New_Costume.jpg
Remember when he gave it to Strange Vistor

2336483-9271521_1.jpg

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

probably the best ever

Man that was so bad. I still got that comic around here somewhere with it's glow in the dark cover haha.

Mupod

Well there's quite a few original costumes that didn't end up being that character's 'iconic' look. Iron Man, Daredevil, or Wolverine's stupid original mask for example.

The big ones have already been covered but this is how I've always thought of Rogue. The brown jacket was part of her character as far as I was concerned.

kqFMa5F.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Yeah Spiderman known for for being preachy and looking down on folks

Preachy, no doubt. Looking down on folks? Logan is of his dudes. Short of killing off congress, hes always gonna be on a moral platform above frank through.

.GqueB.

Banned
does this count as a switch or an incremental upgrade?

ironmancomicnewarmorwide.jpg

Bleeding Edge & beyond

It's the only thing that gets close to Black Suit Spiderman IMO

Omg that's gorgeous. I wanna see that in the films. Was it a narrative change or just a random new suit that happened to look cool?

Mupod

The big ones have already been covered but this is how I've always thought of Rogue. The brown jacket was part of her character as far as I was concerned.

Oh that's a good one. I got into X-Men in the 90s, but I went back and read a lot of 80s X-books since my brother gave me his collection. Rogue threw me off even more than mohawk Storm.

I think the key to Spiderman's Symbiote suit being the top runner is that even your average fan can conjour up memories of both. Having a big storyline revolve around it helps a ton too. Wolverine's switch is the only one I can think of that comes close.

Bleepey

I'd say the Hulk is up there. He was originally grey but colouring problems led to his skin becoming green. Daredevil was originally yellow, Superman, Iron Man and Wolverine as said before, Batman's costume becoming black instead of blue. Those are some of the most notable, am i missing any?

Edit: Jim Lee's X-men costumes wil forever be X-men to me. Nothing has ever come close.

Edit 2: Cap's Shield switch.

Meier

I don't think non comic-book fans know Spider-Man has ever had a different costume switch, so I can't really call it iconic. I'd assume that was Venom in the first post.

Raptor

Needs a gold belt though. Red belt looks dumb.

I was going to post MOS suit but I didnt wanted to ruin the thread with objections lol.

MOS suit is the best Superman suit ever IMO.

Oh and Im not talking about that one specifically, I just meant the switch to no undies outside thats all :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom