• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's the 3DS version of Starfox 64?

ceramic

I had the same problem with Starfox 64 3DS as I did with Ocarina of Time 3DS; once the novelty of the upgraded graphics wear off you realize you're just playing the same game all over again. Not that I'm saying it's a bad game, it's one of my favorite games of the N64. I guess I've just played it one too many times. In hindsight I would have been better off spending the money on a new game that I hadn't played before.

Wow this game got expensive
It's the perfect game to have downloaded from eShop. Only reason I haven't bought it yet is because it's still thirty fuckin' nine ninty-fuckin'-nine on the goddamn eShop. It's ridiculous.
I had the same problem with Starfox 64 3DS as I did with Ocarina of Time 3DS; once the novelty of the upgraded graphics wear off you realize you're just playing the same game all over again. Not that I'm saying it's a bad game, it's one of my favorite games of the N64. I guess I've just played it one too many times. In hindsight I would have been better off spending the money on a new game that I hadn't played before.
Isn't that every remake ever made or it is just something specifically for OoT 3D and Starfox 64 3D? If it's a classic game, I don't see what the issue is.

Mr Rivuz

First game i bought on 3ds, it's great. I can't go back to the original on n64 now, it aged really bad graphically.

entremet

It's the perfect game to have downloaded from eShop. Only reason I haven't bought it yet is because it's still thirty fuckin' nine ninty-fuckin'-nine on the goddamn eShop. It's ridiculous.

Isn't that every remake ever made or it is just something specifically for OoT 3D and Starfox 64 3D? If it's a classic game, I don't see what the issue is.

Yeah. It sucks. I don't get Nintendo sometimes. I would download if it was 30 bucks at least.

But might as well track a used copy.

The lack of online play ruined this remake for me.

Only played it for about a day when I got it. Haven't picked it up again since, despite that I spent years playing the multiplayer of the original N64 game.

Perfect version of the game and loved the castillian spanish dub (minus falco everyone is great).
Its a pity to know nintendo can make pretty great dubs in my language, and then have the awful unprofessional dub smash bros brawl and wiiu has.

3bdelilah

Banned
I suppose it's a good remake, it felt good technically speaking, but I didn't like the game in itself. I liked Star Fox Adventure more, so I think I'm just a lunatic in this regard.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think I'm actually going to buy this today. I've been thinking about it for a while. I was waiting for it to go down in price, but it clearly never is. It should be $20 on the eShop.

Esque7

The music is hit or miss, definitely prefer the N64 music and voice acting. Game play is better on 3DS though. I'd say play both if you can, it's only $10 on the Wii VC

Tsunamo

I was quite impressed by the 3D effect. It doesn't pop out too far from memory but it really adds to the immersion of flying across the galaxy for me, which is something I usually don't say about the 3D for 3DS games.

I might be in the minority with that though.
The lack of online play ruined this remake for me.
It sure is a shame they never implimented it for this release, could have really benefitted from having it.

It's a really good remake. I will warn you that prices for it are kinda high right now because it's out of print and because it's the Christmas season right now. The lowest price I see it now is for around $28 used at GameStop. Amazon has them starting at $35 used.
To think I sold two sealed copies earlier this year for around 30. Who knew it'd shoot up like this, yeesh.

Prisoner

It's a decent remake, but I still prefer the N64 and virtual console versions because they can be played with a controller on a TV. And the original voice work is better.

Tookay

Better graphics and presentation, different music and VA. If you hold the original 64 version close to your heart and have the original VA memorized, then the sound changes may be jarring but they're just different, not necessarily worse.

mdubs

Banned
Starfox 64 is bad anyway

BooThisMan.gif

Yes go buy it OP, best version of Star Fox 64 (and I played the original copiously)

120v

its great but i wish we could've gotten an original game. 3DS is perfect for star fox

3DS had a lot of wasted potential on the first party front

It really is a pretty great handheld game since the levels are all pretty short. It suits the system better than Ocarina of Time.

I got Star Fox 64 3DS for 10 euro's a couple of months ago. I guess the store was getting rid of their game stock. Had no I idea it was still that expensive.

Astral Dog

its great but i wish we could've gotten an original game. 3DS is perfect for star fox

3DS had a lot of wasted potential on the first party front
Nooo, it was better realized than DS, and maybe GBA.
KI uprising, Fire Emblem, Luigis Mansion, Bravely Default, ALBW, Mario and Luigi 4, 3D Land, Smash Bros , Pokemon, Mario Kart 7, etc.

MagnesD3

Dont listen to this clouded man, 3DS version is better, better framerate, graphics, high quality music. seriously.

But buy the N64 version if you cant find it cheap.

The framerate isn't a problem on the Wii. Also the music is terrible idk what you are talking about but those voices and sounds were awful compared to the original only thing better is the graphics. Not worth losing the other stuff.

Starfox 64 for Wii virtual console is a must buy the 3ds version is a mediocre remake, reminds me of the crappy twin snakes remake in what they screwed up on.

TRUST ME when I say graphics aren't everything.

Btw play star fox 64 with the GameCube controller on the Wii. The GameCube controller is amazing for n64 games.

Decent at best.

So decent remake, plus awful presentation, means skip it as far as I'm concerned; I am a Nintendo guy, that much is obvious, but I could never reccomend someone spend their money on this.
Basically this.

SCReuter

Don't listen to the hardcore purists. It's a quality remake. Yes, the audio was re-recorded, but it doesn't necessarily sound worse.

Q-Games did a better job updating this game's visuals than Grezzo did with Ocarina of Time 3D.

ReyVGM

The graphics are foxy, gameplay is ribbiting, graphics are peppier, and it's the falcyon of the series.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Is this available on eShop? Kind of interested in getting it now for holiday plane travel. Don't really wanna spend $40 right now tho

Azure J

Game is great. The updated visuals still illicit "whoa"-s from me now and while the music does have a tinny quality to it in places, the new instruments and original composition makes it so there's still a lot of memorable stuff going on. (The wailing chorus in the new version of Area 6 and the really simple and haunting chords at the beginning of the new version of Zoness are fucking stellar.)

It's a perfect lunch time game, you can rock a playthrough in an hour. Would LOVE to see StarFox (SNES) on 3DS too as I utterly love that game.. One day!

I find it hard to accept it as being the definitive version (nor can I even justify buying it) considering that I've listened to the remixed music on YouTube, and it's a huge downgrade.

The music in the 64 version is briiliant, and the graphics aren'd bad enough to make the tradeoff worth it.

sugarless

I heard it has a great re-localisation? Playing the original the other day, I was struck by how awkward a lot of the lines were, but I haven't played the 3DS version for comparison.

linko9

Voice acting is a major downgrade; don't understand why they changed it, was there some legal issue? Otherwise really good.

I heard it has a great re-localisation? Playing the original the other day, I was struck by how awkward a lot of the lines were, but I haven't played the 3DS version for comparison.

Are you unsure you hear that or are you telling us you heard that? They didn't change the script at all, they got the actors to come back and redo the whole thing with the same corny lines.

Top Bottom