• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How's the 3DS version of Starfox 64?

sugarless

Are you unsure you hear that or are you telling us you heard that? They didn't change the script at all, they got the actors to come back and redo the whole thing with the same corny lines.

I meant that I thought I had heard that, but apparently I was mistaken—must have been the re-recording I was getting it confused with. Shame.

NewGame

Banned
Everything is really good-

Except the voice acting. I don't know what they did but the new voices are horrible. The worst hit voices are the boss final exclimations.

YOU'LL NEVER DEFEAT ANDROOOOSS-*PUCHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW*

becomes

youll never beat andross *bang*

Prisoner

I think they lost the high-quality audio masters (The quality on the original release was dire)

The compressed voice clips are very fitting though, since you're supposed to be hearing everyone over a radio.

They should have at least given the option to switch between new and old audio.

Prisoner

How is the replay value on this? Thinking of grabbing but I'm hearing the story is incredibly short.

It's a game made to be replayed lots of times. The story is short because you're supposed to be able to beat it in one sitting.

The challenge doesn't come in beating the game, but in getting high scores (you win medals for achieving certain scores in each level). It also has branching paths, so you're not playing the same levels in every playthrough.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
I don't feel comfortable with the 3DS controls :(

Neither with the VC controls.. I still like the most the N64 version thanks to the controller

OnPoint

It's a really good remake. I will warn you that prices for it are kinda high right now because it's out of print and because it's the Christmas season right now. The lowest price I see it now is for around $28 used at GameStop. Amazon has them starting at $35 used.

So the OP would have to pay the price it was when it came out?

This should be fine.

While I personally prefer the slightly cheesier dialogue in the original, Star Fox 64 3D is a fantastic game that I highly recommend. It's still a classic, and a great example of how fun games can be when they don't take themselves too seriously. You can tell just how much fun the team making this game had.

Eiolon

I really like it though the 3DS cramps my hands so I can't play it for more than 20-30 minutes at a time. Glad there is save progress so I don't have to start from scratch, and that I can go back and play any level I have cleared again for pick up and play.

ZeroX03

Banned
I've never played Star Fox. I'd pick this up if it were available for something less than the ridiculous eShop price. $90 is a joke.

(mat)

Man... Star Fox 64 is one of my three favorite games of all time.

The 3DS remaster is good! I still prefer the N64/Virtual Console versions, but that's 100% due to nostalgia.

If you've got the extra dough, go for it. If not, stick to the console. :)

Flappy

Banned
Speaking of the emulated version, I recently played a Japanese ROM of SF64. The voices are awesome. Adds a whole new dimension to the game.

Speaking of the emulated version, I recently played a Japanese ROM of SF64. The voices are awesome. Adds a whole new dimension to the game.

I was under the impression that Star Fox 64 didn't have voice acting in Japan. I thought NOA added this to prove they didn't need CDs.

woopWOOP

I was under the impression that Star Fox 64 didn't have voice acting in Japan. I thought NOA added this to prove they didn't need CDs.
You're probably thinking of the EU version which has an optional gibberish language for the voice acting.

I got this game for cheap, but I couldn't get used to the 3DS controls very much. The voice acting's less memorable too, tho both these are obviously compared to what I'm used to playing SF64 back in the day. Graphic and music wise it's a nice upgrade.

They are different games, and lol, Star Fox hasn't aged at all. The mechanics are still tight as they have always been.
They are different games, but 64 is a bore fest by comparison. The barely upgraded models don't help.

Basically, the game is more lifeless than you remember it. Characters are boring, level designs are boring, and gameplay isn't as fun as you remember.

(mat)

They are different games, but 64 is a bore fest by comparison. The barely upgraded models don't help.

Basically, the game is more lifeless than you remember it. Characters are boring, level designs are boring, and gameplay isn't as fun as you remember.

It's a shame you can't enjoy this the way I do, anymore. I'm so sorry about that.

It's a shame you can't enjoy this the way I do, anymore. I'm so sorry about that.
Me too :(

I mean, I didn't not enjoy it at all (I went back a few times and got some emblems), but I can't recommend dropping those crazy prices on it really, since it's so hard to find used.

My favorite thing about the game is that the VO is all new, but absolutely faithful to the original performances. It gives me hope for future Star Fox games with the same vocal direction

Like some other dissenters are saying, the Music and Voice Over replacements are really pretty detracting. Slidepad controls are also kinda not great.

The visuals are upgraded and the gameplay is very much still intact, so it's worth it for a portable version of the classic.

Other then closing the lid to do the suspend feature, there is no saving in this game, it's a one shot through the entire game still correct?

Peltz

It's exactly what you'd expect it to be in a good way. They got everything right, and I actually don't mind that they redid the soundtrack.

But I still prefer the N64 version because it's simply more comfortable to play. My highscores are consistently higher on my N64 cart.

Prisoner

I could not disagree more. I loved it when it was released and I still have a blast playing it 17 years later.

entremet

So I just got this off Club Nintendo. It was a reward item thankfully. The physical and eShop versions are overpriced, especially the physical versions, which are going for 50 bucks and up!

Pretty impressed with the remake. The 3DS has been a great N64 remake machine, especially since the original games have poor frame rates and the fuzzy textures that were common for the N64.

Even though we got a Mario 64 remake already on the DS, I would've loved a 3DS version instead, due to the better hardware of course and Circle Pad.

Xav

They FUCKED UP the music with unnecessary remixes that sound cheap. Other than that, it's a great re-skin of the original.

Top Bottom