• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NXGamer: Assassins Creed: Unity Performance Analysis.

CozMick

Banned
I think this guy deserves a chance in the spotlight, great video analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdji6gQHp4I

A few bullet points from the analysis.

. PlayStation 4 version had an unlocked framerate pre-patch, reaching 45fps in certain areas.

AXXFcLV.png

. Both versions dropped to <20fps during crowd scenes, Xbox One version was more stable in crowds and during combat pre-patch.

. Cut scenes performed better on PlayStation 4.

. Post-patch both versions have been framerate locked to 30fps, consistently running at "max" frames along rooftops.

. Both versions drop to 24-25fps in crowded areas, however its the PlayStation 4 version that performs better.

.Cutscenes still stutter but generally are locked at 30fps on both consoles with Xbox One receiving the biggest performance increase.

THE VERDICT:

Parity has been achieved regarding framerate sitting at an average of 28fps on both Playstation 4 and Xbox One but the game is "still in alpha stage".

I suppose a little competition is needed for Digital Foundry.

CozMick

Banned
I don't know how much reliable could be the fps analysis. The difference with DF it's unexplainable.

Something is definitely amiss, there is no way digital foundry could not see or even fail to mention an unlocked framerate on ps4

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Something is definitely amiss, there is no way digital foundry could not see or even fail to mention an unlocked framerate on ps4

Pretty sure every single AC game is unlockable ..

you go to top of towers and they all become super smooth with little to nothing going on.

Rogue had this too.

Ateron

DFs analysis are more detailed, but I agree that they need competition to step up their game. NX gamer does some great things but I can't help but feel that some of the things he points out are by eyeballing it. Still, he's doing a good thing, we need more people invested in tech analysis since most game sites barely scratch it.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Been following Nxgamer for quite some time now.

I dearly recommend him.

I do feel for him due to a possible heart attack incoming from constant faint events upon the order 1886 release.

Jonnax

A possibility is that they didn't test it unpatched since Ubisoft locked the framerate in a later patch.

vpance

Even if NXGamer isn't entirely accurate it's good to have another person/site out there doing this level of analysis for some fresh perspective.

Teletraan1

Banned
This guy occasionally uses the wrong terms or terms for graphical features that might not be what they actually are. Expect a huge disparaging shitstorm from some uppity folks in here as a result.

Personally I like his take on certain things. Has a keen eye for details. Frankly I do not trust DF because of Yellow Leadbetter. Never have, never will. So some alternative is nice. Just needs to keep the graphical feature speculation to a minimum and is fine in my books.

adelante

I like his channel as well.

He has some good analysis videos, where he talks about all the tech thats going on in a certain game.

That, he does. But his Uncharted 4 analysis was pretty cringeworthy to be honest (for eg. the liberal use of the term "tessellated" for anything that's high in polygonal/geometric fidelity).

More tech analysis sites, the better so I'm all for his work.

This guy occasionally uses the wrong terms or terms for graphical features that might not be what they actually are. Expect a huge disparaging shitstorm from some uppity folks in here as a result.

Personally I like his take on certain things. Has a keen eye for details. Frankly I do not trust DF because of Yellow Leadbetter. Never have, never will. So some alternative is nice. Just needs to keep the graphical feature speculation to a minimum and is fine in my books.

EXACTLY. And i think that maybe it's his perceived keen eye for details as presented in the Uncharted 4 analysis that has got people praising him for his technical know-how.

omonimo

Banned

Whatever I think of Leadbetter, their fps analysis tools seems quite accurate. This... not convince me, it can't be AC runs better on ps4. The same ubisoft admitted, time ago, it run better on xbone.

Jigolo

I know this is about AC but upon seeing his GZ video I can't believe how silly shadows are in video games. Very high is not life-like at all. Shadows are not that sharp in real life lol

Hell they aren't very sharp at all unless really close to the ground

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I saw his Uncharted 4 video and within seconds he said something obviously flat-out false (that there was no difference between cutscene and gameplay character models). I can see why some people like him if he's going to puff up Sony games like that.

martino

seriously what is the objective of the pre patch section?
showing uncapped game can go above 30 when a capped verison can't in scenarios tha t are not cpu bound has zero interest....
Except idiots who will use it to prove a conspiracy (in really their ignorance)

his measument update seems laggy and it leads to intentional (imo) misuses (like the op screens that try to make you thing game is 42 in this situation where it is more 35 like said )

adelante

How does he get framerate info from the consoles? Always wondered how DF goes about it.

Also shout out to redgamingtech -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq2fDLA-EvA
Website - http://www.redgamingtech.com/dragon-age-inquisition-xbox-one-vs-ps4-pc-graphics-frame-rate-analysis/
Seems to be more accurate in terms of talking about tech.

This article is from 2009, but it explains a little: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fps-tools-v2-blog-post

I saw his Uncharted 4 video and within seconds he said something obviously flat-out false (that there was no difference between cutscene and gameplay character models). I can see why some people like him if he's going to puff up Sony games like that.
Heh this was clearly evident in that huge UC4 gameplay trailer thread. Some of the stuff that he spouted in that analysis video, you can't help but think he's to DigitalFoundry like ******** is to NPD (ok hyperbole on my part but still)

vesvci

Banned
ACU has become infamous for all the wrong reasons.

Nice video. Good to see another performance analysis. DF has too much of a spotlight, and that may have compromised their credibility.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's true that the models are the same but they utllilize shader scaling like LoDs. The thing that was very wrong in thay video was how he said everything was tesselated.

BigDug13

showing uncapped game can go above 30 when a capped verison can't in scenarios tha t are not cpu bound has zero interest....

These consoles were touted as usable offline. Buy a game disc, stick it in your game machine and play. That's the way gaming used to be on consoles. His first half of the video seems to cater to that crowd. How does the game perform if you just get it home and stick the disc in your machine, unpatched.

CozMick

Banned

Before this video we had no idea the ps4 version was unlocked pre-patch. Pretty insightful to be honest.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's true that the models are the same but they utllilize shader scaling like LoDs.

There's noticeable 'ping' when the model LOD drops between the cutscene and gameplay. It's similar to, but less severe than, the one you see in ACU. And as you say, he also just plain made stuff up about tessellation.

As I said, for someone with am agenda to push, I can see that this guy is ticking all the right boxes.

I was asked to say why I don't trust this guy's analyses. Since it's off-topic I'll spoiler-tag it:
I'd like to know what this guy's methodology is, what kind of equipment he's using to capture console and PC framerate, what his credentials are and what kind of technology background he has before accepting him as a legitimate and trustworthy source of information. I also don't agree with using fraps for capturing benchmark data on PC (if he is indeed using that, as I said we don't know) as it introduces significant overhead when recording. The fact that he misnames, misplaces or misses various visual effects is not exactly reassuring. Why is this guy's analyses noteworthy? What makes him something more than a random youtuber?

Sorry for the off-topic, as I said I was asked to post my reservations and I obliged. Carry on!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

His videos certainly fit the narratives that some people would prefer to hear.

system11

As long as his frame rate counts are accurate, I don't really care about anything else.

I think we can all take away that Unity is still hot garbage.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't wanna come down too hard on the guy, mind you. There's some interesting things in this video, although some of the things he says in the videos needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Nevertheless, the agenda behind people pushing him really is totally transparent. The fanboy-approved alternative for those times that DF isn't being mean enough about Microsoft.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
There's noticeable 'ping' when the model LOD drops between the cutscene and gameplay. It's similar to, but less severe than, the one you see in ACU. And as you say, he also just plain made stuff up about tessellation.

As I said, for someone with am agenda to push, I can see that this guy is ticking all the right boxes.
I've watched the footage quite a bit, even in slow motion, and I didn't notice that myself so it's understandable that he missed that.

His videos are most useful to me for pointing out small little physics and animation touches. I've said before he's got a good eye for detail, just not all the knowledge necessary to be a reliable analysis.

CozMick

Banned
I was asked to say why I don't trust this guy's analyses. Since it's off-topic I'll spoiler-tag it:
I'd like to know what this guy's methodology is, what kind of equipment he's using to capture console and PC framerate, what his credentials are and what kind of technology background he has before accepting him as a legitimate and trustworthy source of information. I also don't agree with using fraps for capturing benchmark data on PC (if he is indeed using that, as I said we don't know) as it introduces significant overhead when recording. The fact that he misnames, misplaces or misses various visual effects is not exactly reassuring. Why is this guy's analyses noteworthy? What makes him something more than a random youtuber?

Sorry for the off-topic, as I said I was asked to post my reservations and I obliged. Carry on!

How do you feel about digital foundry?

They have also missed out glaring differences between ps4 and Xbox one versions of games.

adelante

He's doing a framerate analysis, validity is natural concern. So personally, I think your questions have a place in this thread, especially before we blindly treat his data as reliable.

DedValve

Banned
whats up with this thread? My chrome practically crashes everytime I get on this and it's soooo slow even typing, feels like I'm back in a 90's virus infested windows. Only this thread btw.

Took like a full minute for the text to appear after I typed this all down.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
whats up with this thread? My chrome practically crashes everytime I get on this and it's soooo slow even typing, feels like I'm back in a 90's virus infested windows. Only this thread btw.

Took like a full minute for the text to appear after I typed this all down.

I think Chrome has had a falling out with animated GIFs.

Wereroku

I don't wanna come down too hard on the guy, mind you. There's some interesting things in this video, although some of the things he says in the videos needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Nevertheless, the agenda behind people pushing him really is totally transparent. The SDF-approved alternative for those times that DF isn't being mean enough about Microsoft.

Isn't SDF a banned term? Like saying Micro$oft. Anyway he comes at things from a different side and does get things that DF misses. So people questioning everything he do also have to admit that he is doing some things right.

I feel that their methodology is reliable and that their staff is qualified to run performance comparisons. They have produced strange results on PC in some cases, such as a recent issue with a 680-equipped DF PC that run a game much slower than most other users for some reason.

So people questioning everything he do also have to admit that he is doing some things right.

Agreed. But the issue of reliability and trustworthiness needs to be adressed. Please note, trustworthiness is not an issue of bias. It's an issue of proper scientific methodology.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Isn't SDF a banned term? Like saying Micro$oft. Anyway he comes at things from a different side and does get things that DF misses. So people questioning everything he does also have to admit that he is doing some things right.

Oh, well, I've changed it. Thanks for the heads up.

Like I say, there are interesting things in these videos, but literally within the first 30 seconds of that UC4 video he'd said something plainly not true but which painted UC4 in a good light. So if your genuine concern is that DF is getting biased and we need some neutral third party, then I don't see how you could promote someone who's not just making value calls about visual differences, but misleading about them.

Wereroku

I feel that their methodology is reliable and that their staff is qualified to run performance comparisons. They have produced strange results on PC in some cases, such as a recent issue with a 680-equipped DF PC that run a game much slower than most other users for some reason.

Agreed. But the issue of reliability and trustworthiness needs to be adressed.

Yep wish he would explain how he gets his FR info. Also his PC analysis can be really off sometimes. I have played games on a 5770 that he says has trouble on his nicer card it's a little weird.

KKRT00

Lol, this is the same guy who was talking about Uncharted 4 tech while being completely wrong about almost every aspect he mentioned.

Nope, guy shouldnt get recognition, he is basically clueless.

Kayant

Agreed

They have also missed out glaring differences between ps4 and Xbox one versions of games.

At the same time it's also important to how good the information is. DF have shown with their analysis their tech knowledge if often accurate compared to this guy who has shown he isn't very knowledgeable at times to the point of being completely wrong.

This article is from 2009, but it explains a little: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-fps-tools-v2-blog-post

Heh this was clearly evident in that huge UC4 gameplay trailer thread. Some of the stuff that he spouted in that analysis video, you can't help but think he's to DigitalFoundry like ******** is to NPD (ok hyperbole on my part but still)

Thanks saw that earlier. Always assumed it required some special equipment or debug console to capture the frames

Game4life

Banned
Why is there such a disparity between this guy's analysis and DF in the AC unity analysis? Someone has goofed up somewhere right?

Takuan

I don't think he's ever played an alpha if he thinks unity in its current form is at that stage of development.

Cuyejo

Lol, this is the same guy who was talking about Uncharted 4 tech while being completely wrong about almost every aspect he mentioned.

Nope, guy shouldnt get recognition, he is basically clueless.

Yet more competent and meticulous than Digital Foundry in some cases, his analysis for Far Cry 4 and Unity showed lots of stuff they missed, even obvious things.

Top Bottom