• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Namco Bandai announces Mobile Ops: The One Year War for Xbox 360 (56k, no)

Jim

ehh? Was this a previous Japanese release of something? Looks like a Gundam title.

NAMCO BANDAI ANNOUNCES "MOBILE OPS(TM): THE ONE YEAR WAR" EXCLUSIVELY FOR XBOX 360

Metal-to-Metal Giant Mecha Combat Comes to Life in 2006

SANTA CLARA, Calif., (April 24, 2006) - Leading video games publisher and developer NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. announced today "Mobile Ops(TM):
The One Year War," a next-generation mechanized shooter exclusively for the Xbox 360(TM) video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Scheduled to launch holiday 2006, this title features beautifully detailed graphics, a wide array of giant mobile suits, and intense multi-player combat to deliver an exhilarating experience in mechanized warfare.

The story of "Mobile Ops: The One Year War" opens with the space colonists' brutal battle for independence from The Earth Federation. Advanced ECM (Electronic Countermeasures) has rendered range sensors and communications useless, resulting in the rise of new war machines called mobile suits. These ultimate instruments of destruction, capable of metal-clashing hand-to-hand combat, completely redefine modern warfare.

"With dramatic cockpit views and exquisitely detailed mobile suits, we fully expect 'Mobile Ops' to immerse gamers into a futuristic world where giant mechas loom against a war-torn horizon," said Yoshi Niki, business director at NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc. "As desperate battles ensue in both open battlefields and urban environments, players can choose to engage enemies on foot, in vehicles or in mobile suits."

Utilizing the Xbox Live(R) online game service, "Mobile Ops: The One Year War" will put players right in the cockpit of their very own mobile fighter for thrilling battles online as they fight in teams through multiple scenarios and battlefields. Gamers can also modify mobile suits with a robust customization options, including beam sabers, heat hawks, and other melee weapons. Vividly presented in HDTV resolution, "Mobile Ops" offers beautifully detailed graphics, right down to the brown rust on metal and stress damage from combat.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's the gundam game, no?

edit - oh, and never forget:

However, the real bombshell announcement made yesterday was the Gundam first-person-shooter being developed by Dimps and published by Bandai-Namco. The game looks positively gorgeous. Drop-dead gorgeous. The grass textures, the lighting. The robots look like "de-familiarized" Gundams, almost as they'd look if they were to exist in the real world.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2694&Itemid=34

llTll

Banned
screw this shit.

when its xbox exclusive from japanese developer. it will look like crap even though its next gen console.

but when its sony exclusive. god have mercy on us. best looking thing ever.

FCK, RR6 [ compared to RR7], and now this.

really. this is stupid and its clear japanese developers dont care about Xbox 360 even if they are paid for exclusive game, it will still look like crap.

this is not really funny

Jim

"Looks" like a Gundam game, but why wouldn't they just use Gundam in the title? They have before in previous North American releases.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Jim said:
"Looks" like a Gundam game, but why wouldn't they just use Gundam in the title? They have before in previous North American releases.

Someone in their marketing department probably figured subsituting "Ops" for "Gundam" was a smart move for the western markets.

ThirdEye

Jim said:
Sorry, it's reserved for the PS3 exclusive Gundam game... ACCOMPLISHED.

Matlock

Banned
[Nintex] said:
:lol Should I post some Gundam PS3 demo shots?

No.

The game is essentially Battlefield 1942 in the Gundam Universe--you start off on-food, then you get into a vehicle if it's available. Lots of variety, looks like a whole helluva lot of players on at the same time.

Looks interesting.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
llTll said:
screw this shit.

when its xbox exclusive from japanese developer. it will look like crap even though its next gen console.

but when its sony exclusive. god have mercy on us. best looking thing ever.

FCK, RR6 [ compared to RR7], and now this.

really. this is stupid and its clear japanese developers dont care about Xbox 360 even if they are paid for exclusive game, it will still look like crap.

this is not really funny

Awwww, its ok

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
4.jpg

Sh$t, if this is not next-gen or what, even the freaking status bars on the monitor of the robot have a bloom effect.

I think the mission of the game is for your character to find out the engineer who designed that monitor and ask him "what the heck he was smoking that day!!!!" :lol.

"Captain, can you tell me what is on your radar ?"

"I wish I could read it myself, it is so bright I have my sun-glasses on !"

Kidou Senshi Gandamu is the Japanese name... a more literal dictionary English translation would be Mobile Soldier Gundam, which could be translated as Mobile Ops. Gundam. They seem to have dropped the Gundam title from it. Take that how you will. Embarassed? Moron translator?

bloke

Dimps is developing this game (and not BandaiNamco inhouse), gameplay movie from that MS conference in Japan looked really bad, still the game will probably sell few more X360s to Gundam otakus in Japan, and that's what MS wants afterall.

Zerodoppler said:
Isn't this how next gen is supposed to look? I sure as hell have lowered my expectations accordingly.

You didn't lower them, you just gave up on it altogether if this is what you expect.

Speevy

Banned
Why is this game such a mess visually? I mean, not just the technical stuff. It just doesn't look good, even if it were an Xbox game.

Speevy said:
Why is this game such a mess visually? I mean, not just the technical stuff. It just doesn't look good, even if it were an Xbox game.

It's Bandai, you can't expect much out of them graphically (atleast alot of the time).

Tat

Banned
Let us all thank MS for giving Japanese developers money they can spend on awesome PS3/Rev games.

atomsk

Party Pooper
MS Saga didnt have gundam in the title either, maybe they're just assuming people automatically equate giant robots to gundam?

Chromehounds is making Namco look silly. Hell NAMCO is making Namco look silly.

It would be forgivable if there was a crazy amount of action going on but this is just pathetic.

Tat said:
Let us all thank MS for giving Japanese developers money they can spend on awesome PS3/Rev games.
:lol :lol :lol

Is Namci Bandia TRYING to sabotage the X360 in Japan?

Obviously:

first: Frame City Killer (completely Shame!) and now this (love football). I think Namco's(bandai) purpose is to Ruin XBOX360 Credibility.

Namco: We do All we can to Shit XBOX360!
Sony: Good. Go on!

8 Month Later:
Namco: Mission Accomplished Sir!
Sony: Excellent. And here is UR Reward, a ps3 with HDD.

Top Bottom