• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic The Gathering - tell me everything I need to know please

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatStupidLion

Gold Member
Hey friends.

So I was never into Magic The Gathering growing up. I wanted to be, but always missed the boat and never had friends who played.

Recently, some friends at work have picked it up again, so I kinda joined in and learned a little bit.

I am a little familiar with the basics of how to play a general game and even played with a deck I drafted from boosters with coworkers a few times.

I'd like to take it to the next level and actually know whats going on in the community and the general game/seasons...but have NO idea where to start.

I'm so confused with all the different editions and decks and years of releases and rule changes etc.

Can you guys/gals give me a run down of what i need to know. websites. things to buy. dice. counters? apps? whats really important to keep up to date on etc. I don't even know if I can mix and match cards from different editions... I think the cards I currently have are from 2014 with a symbol of a gate? or some arch on the cards. do i need a new 2015 deck? do they have new sets come out every year that changes rules and cards that can be used?

anyways yea, I'm such a n00b. please help! get me ready in time for the pre-release draft at my local game store next week!

Thanks

I'd recommend starting with the Duels of the Planeswalkers games first. Get a feel of how to play the game and make a deck, play against the CPU, learn the nuances of the different spells and abilities.

THEN, spend money on real cards.

Also as far as equipment to buy, I use a 20 sided dice as a life counter, and some 6 sided dice as tokens and counters. That's all I use.

Ludovico

Buy a current intro/event deck and find some friends to just play casually with.

If you really want to compete and play standard/modern, be prepared for a huge money sink. If that's not an issue, pick an archetype that you're drawn to (I played RTR, so I went Black/Green and did all kinds of shenanigans with my graveyard, undying, tokens, etc...) and see how all the different mechanics interact, being mindful of the current meta as well as the environment of your local card shop(s).

PLAY TO HAVE FUN

Edit - Event decks come with a cool D20, and serve as a good enough deck box for getting started. Your shop should also have a master card list or a binder, and MTG's official site should have all the cards and their respective rules.

egruntz

shelaughz
Inherently flawed resource system. =/
Mana being actual cards you draw from creates problems.
In a lot of cases, you either draw mostly land and not enough spells, or you draw only spells and not enough land. Mixing two resources (cards/mana) into one is rather silly.

Other games learned to shift away from this.
Health
Mana
Cards

Those are typically the 3 resources card games like these use, and they work great.
Magic...eh.

It's the granddaddy of the genre. It'll stick around, and it's much more developed than any other out there, but I'd personally avoid it. Get into Hearthstone maybe?

EDIT: Sort of totally misread the intent of the thread. My bad.

Nikodemos

In a lot of cases, you either draw mostly land and not enough spells, or you draw only spells and not enough land. Mixing two resources (cards/mana) into one is rather silly.
MtG is specifically supposed to have a higher element of luck-of-the-draw compared to other card battle games.

Fusebox

Banned
I love a good game of MtG with real cards. You should probably direct most of your questions to the guys you're playing with though, I'm sure they already have enough counters and dice to cover you.

Also ask them what format they play - eg standard, modern etc that will let you know which cards from which sets you'll be able to mix and match

Health
Mana
Cards

Those are typically the 3 resources card games like these use, and they work great.
Magic...eh.

It's the granddaddy of the genre. It'll stick around, and it's much more developed than any other out there, but I'd personally avoid it. Get into Hearthstone maybe?

The designers of Magic have talked a lot about the benefits of the mana system, including in this article. The same designer helped to create Duel Masters / Kaijudo, which allows you to play any card as a resource, and has concluded that such a system is not as good for gameplay as Magic's mana system.

As for how to get into Magic, I recommend playing Duels of the Planeswalkers to understand the rules and be able to fail in privacy. Before you start playing the physical game, make sure you actually have people to play it with. Then, you can get a Deckbuilder's Toolkit to start your collection, and get a preconstructed deck such as an Intro Pack or a Duel Deck to start out.

Also, I made a big post about the story of Magic, so I may as well post it here:
Because I'm bored, I decided to create a post introducing the Magic story for whenever an OT topic is created for details about the presumably still upcoming Magic movie.

The General Story
Welcome to the Multiverse! There exist multiple worlds that exist side by side in different dimensions, known as planes, and each plane is as different as night is from the day. One plane is incredibly tiny, where a leviathan that is far larger than a blue whale on that world is no bigger than an elephant on another. One plane is entirely covered by a single city, which is ruled by ten guilds. Some planes are ruled by the whims of capricious gods. All of them, however, have a form of magical energy known as mana, generated from bonds to the land, that can be channeled into powerful magic.

Usually, all of these planes are mutually unaware of each other, but there are some special beings with the unique ability to safely travel between them, known as planeswalkers. They aren't, by nature, any stronger than a typical wizard, but the ability to create mana bonds with land in different worlds and learn spells from all over the Multiverse puts them a step above everyone else.*

You can find several official stories in the world of Magic: the Gathering here.

*= In the past, Planeswalkers were, in fact, significantly stronger than typical wizards by nature, but that has since changed. This will be explained a bit later.

What is Magic: the Gathering, the game?
Magic: the Gathering is a Trading Card Game, the first of its kind, developed by Richard Garfield and his playtesters for the gaming company Wizards of the Coast in 1993. The game quickly became a big hit, and after some hurdles, it is currently bigger than it ever has been.

In the standard game, you and your opponent play the role of dueling Planeswalkers, using customized 60-card decks made up of your spells, the creatures you can summon, your mana bonds with lands, and even other Planeswalkers you can call in to help out. Whoever can get his or her opponent down to 0 life, from a start of 20, wins, and your rival Planeswalker flees to fight another day, although there are various alternative ways to triumph.

There are other popular formats, including limited, where you are given a collection of various cards and have to build a 40-card deck then and there before getting to the actual matches; and commander, where everyone has 99-card decks and a separate "commander" card (for a total of 100), with its own set of rules in addition to the normal ones.

For those who want to start out, it is recommended that you check out the Duels of the Planeswalkers video games, which offer tutorials and AI opponents to face, so you can fail in the privacy of your own home. As for the physical game, it indeed can be an expensive hobby (it isn't called "cardboard crack" for nothing), but if you can keep yourself under control and make sure you actually have people you can play your cards with, it should be worth it. There is also a Magic Online application, but let's just say they could really learn a lot from Hearthstone.

The Colors of Magic
colour+pie.png

There are five colors of magic, each of which has mana tied to a different kind of land. Each color has different spells and creatures affiliated with it, but also interestingly, each follows a different philosophy, which I personally find to be one of the most intriguing aspects of Magic: the Gathering. Each color favors two other colors (the ones next to it on the above chart) and has two other colors that it disfavors (the ones across from it).

This tension between colors, known informally as the color pie, can be used to describe a great many conflicts in stories. Some people have even credited the color pie with helping them with their stories, by allowing them to better understand what is motivating their characters and what they are conflicting about. The current head designer of Magic, Mark Rosewater, has written a great deal about the colors. Articles specifically about this from 2008 and before can be found here, and his newer articles on that topic and much more can be found here.

White
whitemana.jpg

White mana is tied with Plains, and is affiliated with order, societies that benefit as many as possible, organized religion, organized armies, helping those in need, and law. Typically, this leaves white as the default good color, but one man's justice can be another's tyranny. White is allied with green and blue, favoring the former's sense of community and desire for everyone to have a place in the world, and the latter's ability to improve the world. White is enemies with black and red, disapproving of the former's amorality and the latter's desire for freedom at any cost. White mana is affiliated with humans (though they appear in every color), cat-humans known as leonin, soldiers, clerics, and angels, among others.

Blue
bluemana.jpg

Blue mana is tied with Islands, and is affiliated with learning, continuous improvement, the belief that everyone starts as a blank slate and can become anything they want to be if they try hard enough, education, trickery, and meritocracies, in addition to elemental associations with the air and sea. Blue is often good or neutral, but its tendency to dick around with those it deems inferior and run experiments regardless of the consequences sometimes places it in a villain role. Blue is allied with white and black, favoring the orderly society of the former, and the focus on individual improvement and lack of restrictions of the latter. Blue is enemies with green and red, disapproving of the former's fatalism and desire to keep the status quo, and the latter's irrationality. Blue mana is affiliated with merfolk, wizards, sea creatures, flying birds, faeries, djinn, and sphinxes, among others.

Black
blackmana.jpg

Black mana is tied with Swamps, and is affiliated with amorality (it doesn't believe in good and evil), focusing on your own needs above everything else, taking advantage of others, death, undeath, social darwinism, capitalism, and self-confidence. As you might expect, black is typically evil, but many anti-heroes are black; black is fully capable of being friendly and even loving (if it's in its own best interest); and black will help save the world if it's the world that black lives in. Black is allied with blue and red, favoring the former's intelligence and ability to ignore morals, and the latter's hatred of rules. Black is enemies with white and green, disapproving of how the former takes an already difficult existence and then proceeds to make it even harder with restrictions and forced morality (though black will gladly take advantage of those adhering to this system), and how the latter doesn't care much for the individual and wants to keep the status quo. Black mana is affiliated with zombies, vampires, assassins, clerics, wizards, and demons.

Red
redmana.jpg

Red mana is tied with Mountains, and is affiliated with listening to your emotions, freedom, rage, loyalty, acting on impulse, trickery, living in the now, passionate love, and artistry (though as an action game, those last two rarely show up on cards), along with elemental associations with fire, stone, and lightning. Red appears equally often as a hero and a villain, covering both the hotheaded hero that fights for friendship and the mindless brute. Red is allied with black and green, favoring the former's lack of restrictions and encouragement to accept who you are, and the latter's belief in acting on your instincts and desire to live and let live. Red is enemies with white and blue, disapproving of the restrictions the former places on everyone, and the latter's tendency to reject emotions and generally be agitating. Red mana is affiliated with goblins, ogres, minotaurs, shamans, warriors, and dragons.

Green
greenmana.jpg

Green mana is tied with Forests, and is affiliated with nature, destiny, the idea that everything has a place in the world, patience, growth, life, instinct, reverence of the past, wisdom, and viewing things in the long term. Of all the colors, this is probably the most difficult to understand as it applies to a sapient individual, but heroes of destiny and their mentors tend to have at least some green in them. Green is allied with white and red, favoring the former's desire to keep the peace and the latter's tendency to listen to its heart. Green is enemies with blue and black, disapproving of how both mess with the world and others on large scales but lack perspective on the long term; but green is the color that most accepts that its enemies have a purpose. Green mana is affiliated with elves, treefolk, beasts in general, shamans, druids, wurms, and hydras.

Ongoing Storylines
Each year of Magic will develop and wrap up storylines set on particular worlds, but there are also larger stories that cover multiple planes.

Nicol Bolas
ur_wk23_303_cardart_cruelultimatum.jpg

Long ago, the Planeswalkers were far more powerful than they are now, being able to create entire planes on their own and living nearly immortal lives. But still, this was not enough for the elder dragon Planeswalker Nicol Bolas, who strove to achieve true immortality and infinite power. But then came The Mending, where the very nature of the Planeswalker ability was changed and Nicol Bolas suddenly found himself significantly weaker. He was still immensely powerful, but now he was even further away from his goal than before, which agitated him, to say the least. Regardless, he has plans within plans spanning multiple worlds, Planeswalker underlings, the willingness and ability to bring about the destruction of an entire plane just to further one of his plans by a bit, and the patience to let things develop on their own for centuries until the time is right to act.

The Eldrazi
cardart_ulamogtheinfinitegyre.jpg

Before mana even developed distinct colors, the Eldrazi came into existence, born in the gaps between planes. Like Planeswalkers, they are able to travel between worlds, but they devour every one that they come across. There appear to be swarms of Eldrazi, but in fact, there are only three extradimensional ones whose projections into the third dimension appear as distinct beings. Before the Mending, three Planeswalkers were able to seal them into the plane of Zendikar: the vampire Sorin Markov, the kor lithomancer Nahiri, and the spirit dragon Ugin. The Eldrazi laid there dormant for thousands of years, until they were awakened through the machinations of Bolas and are now roaming freely. As Sorin travels to reunite those who once sealed the Eldrazi, other Planeswalkers also travel to warn others and possibly find a way to fight back.

Phyrexia
ur264_5_mls2pwuioz.jpg

Long ago, before the Mending, there existed an evil empire that corrupted everything it touched, called Phyrexia. Over the course of thousands of years, the Planeswalker Urza led the fight against them. He died in the end, but his creation, Karn the silver golem, and the hero Gerrard brought an end to Phyrexia once and for all... or so they thought. After Phyrexia's defeat, Karn became a Planeswalker and created his own plane that came to be known as Mirrodin. What he didn't realize was that he was carrying some of Phyrexia's glistening oil, which he had transferred to Mirrodin in turn, and over the course of centuries, the oil corrupted more and more, merging flesh and metal to create monstrosities to further the infection. By the time the people of Mirrodin noticed what was happening, it was too late. Mirrodin was turned into New Phyrexia. Thankfully, Phyrexians are incapable of becoming Planeswalkers, and Planeswalkers can't be infected by Phyrexia, but there is evidence that Phyrexia is already present on planes other than Mirrodin somehow.

Garruk and Liliana
cardart_ingarrukswake.jpg

Long ago, the Planeswalker necromancer Liliana Vess made a deal with demons on various worlds in order to gain more power, and she got it, but she didn't like the idea of being stuck in deals with such untrustworthy partners. But then, she discovered the Chain Veil, an artifact of great power--enough power to allow her to kill them. Liliana thus set out on a journey to do just that, but the Chain Veil may be costing her more than the demons would have. On the way, Liliana angered another Planeswalker named Garruk, a powerful hunter, and tested the power of the Chain Veil on him when he attacked. The Chain Veil turned Garruk into a mad killer, hunting every other Planeswalker he came across, and right before he started turning into a demon, the corrupting influence of the veil was halted by INSERT PLAYER NAME (this happened in a video game), but he's still not cured.

Firemind

We have a community thread you can join: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846152

Here are some useful links:
New to Magic: A beginner's guide
Rules FAQ
Types of events
There's a prerelease of the new set, Fate Reforged, coming up next weekend. Go here to find an organizer near you.
The many formats
Prereleases are always Sealed Deck, meaning you get several packs to build a deck with.
For constructed formats, Standard is the most popular format and the one that rotates the most, meaning sets go in and out every few seasons. The legal sets currently in Standard are Theros (
21px-THS_symbol.png
), Born of the Gods (
22px-BNGsymbol.jpg
), Journey into Nyx (
25px-JOU_symbol.png
), Magic 2015 (
40px-M15_symbol.jpg
), Khans of Tarkir (
18px-Symbol_Khans_of_Tarkir.png
) and soon-to-be legal Fate Reforged (
21px-Fate_Reforged.jpg
).

Use sleeves to protect your cards!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'd recommend starting with the Duels of the Planeswalkers games first. Get a feel of how to play the game and make a deck, play against the CPU, learn the nuances of the different spells and abilities.

THEN, spend money on real cards.

This. There's also a tutorial based on the 2010 version of Duels you can download on PC to learn the ropes.

Hearthstone got me interested, but apparently it's expensive as hell to get into now, and I just want to play casually, but don't have any friends

Too bad it's not online like Hearthstone. Surely there is a way to allow people to register owned cards and have a game that can get all kinds of new fans into the game.

I want to try that Netrunner game. Seems more fair/price sensible.

I want to buy a deck, but don't really know anyone that plays

Negator

Be prepared to learn. I've been playing Magic for 15 years, and due to the way the game constantly updates and shifts, I am still learning a lot about the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No it doesn't. In fact it helps compared to Hearthstone's "get one mana/land/engine power-up per turn up to 10 max." And other such systems. You have to BALANCE the deck between power cards + the "engine"/mana whereas other card games can let you just throw that balance out the window.

Health
Mana
Cards

Magic...eh.

Im curious, is the mana thing severely flawed? Any fixes to it?

What are considerd to be Magic's inherent flaws? What about Hearthstone?

No it doesn't. In fact it helps compared to Hearthstone's "get one mana/land/engine power-up per turn up to 10 max." And other such systems. You have to BALANCE the deck between power cards + the "engine"/mana whereas other card games can let you just throw that balance out the window.

Makes sense... So you have to sacrifice what you want?

Just curious, what is considered the most skilled/fair card game?

I want to play Magic but the possible lack of accessibility scares me, and I've been wondering if it was more luck based or not

Hero

I always like reading people when they complain about the land / mana system in Magic because they never understand how that goes a long way to making the game interesting, varied and fun. The mana system in Hearthstone is terrible as exemplified when they have to constantly balance cards that were too aggressively costed because there is never a chance you're not going to have 4 mana on then 4.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

A lot of us will argue that no, the mana system isn't flawed. In fact for a game design course I experimented with ways to make it more consistent and found there was a tangible decrease in drama, and I think the drama is good

If there's a flaw its how expensive various ways to play are. If its just casually with friends its cheap (that's how I play) but any organized play can quickly cost hundreds of dollars per deck. There's also "drafting", which is super fun and involves opening new packs to build a deck for an event from, which will run you maybe $15 a pop

The Technomancer

Makes sense... So you have to sacrifice what you want?

Just curious, what is considered the most skilled/fair card game?

I want to play Magic but the possible lack of accessibility scares me, and I've been wondering if it was more luck based or not
Its definitely not too luck based, but that's because the very high skill potential balances out the luck elements. Good Magic play is one of the most skill dependant games out there (which isn't the same thing as "complex" importantly)

Its definitely not too luck based, but that's because the very high skill potential balances out the luck elements. Good Magic play is one of the most skill dependant games out there (which isn't the same thing as "complex" importantly)

I wish it was online.

Hell, I'd even play over Skype if I could.

I was overlooking how to play most of the card games just the other day. I have a stack of Yugioh cards that I collected from friends when I was a kid. Looks fun, but more simple.

Magic looks fun. Should I just go out and buy a basic pack?

Also what are the new rule changes they've introduced? What kind of new elements did they add to the game?

I'm guessing almost everyone has a basic deck they can play, right? I imagine the average player has strong decks, and that this would make me purchasing a basic deck pointless.

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread OP!

Sober

Don't play blue. Don't be that guy.
You must mean u/b control!

Also yeah the mana system is great, but it does get expensive as hell if you want to dip into those rare lands to help your deck. I'm pretty sure anyone who complains about the mana system never tried building a deck beyond two colours anyway.

Kerrinck

I wish it was online.

I was overlooking how to play most of the card games just the other day. I have a stack of Yugioh cards that I collected from friends when I was a kid. Looks fun, but more simple.

Also what are the new rule changes they've introduced? What kind of new elements did they add to the game?

I'm guessing almost everyone has a basic deck they can play, right? I imagine the average player has strong decks, and that this would make me purchasing a basic deck pointless.
Have you looked into Magic Online? It mirrors the real game though you lose the irl interactions which are a big part of it.

The new rules actually make things a lot simpler. Much better when compared to older days when the stack was much more complex and we had interrupts.

Have you looked into Magic Online? It mirrors the real game though you lose the irl interactions which are a big part of it.

The new rules actually make things a lot simpler. Much better when compared to older days when the stack was much more complex and we had interrupts.

Is it any good/populated?

I see there are versions on PS3. I'll try the demo!

The Technomancer

I wish it was online.

It is online, but you have to pay real money for packs and the client sucks. The latter is something a lot of us find infuriating.

EDIT: The PS3 game is a separate single-player (I think) experience that's great for learning the rules

It depends on how you want to play. The thing about Magic is that there are like a billion different formats. The two major competitive ones, Standard and Modern, might run you between eighty and a few hundred dollars for a competitive deck, sure. But for casual play with friends its not going to be nearly as much, you could go buy a basic deck, play it a few times to get a handle on things, and then drop another dozen or two dollars on specific cards to spice it up into something you like playing

And then there are Limited formats like Draft which would cost you $15 each time you do them but put everyone on the same foot since you're opening new packs to build from

Kerrinck

Is it any good/populated?

I see there are versions on PS3. I'll try the demo!

Like Technomancer said, the client is far from good but hopefully Wizards will eventually fix it. The other problem is that you have to spend actual money on your digital collection so it may get a bit expensive.

If you'd like to play standard or modern, one of the common routes is to start playing drafts so you can build yourself a collection to build/trade decks from.
Advice I would give you is to start playing casually to get a feel for the game and if you get interested enough in competitive games, build yourself a deck to play on Friday Night Magic. Some strong decks can be somewhat cheap.

Firemind

Blue guys are better than red guys. Seriously fuck off red.

I take it you're not a Zerg player? kekekekeke

It depends on how you want to play. The thing about Magic is that there are like a billion different formats. The two major competitive ones, Standard and Modern, might run you between eighty and a few hundred dollars for a competitive deck, sure. But for casual play with friends its not going to be nearly as much, you could go buy a basic deck, play it a few times to get a handle on things, and then drop another dozen or two dollars on specific cards to spice it up into something you like playing

And then there are Limited formats like Draft which would cost you $15 each time you do them but put everyone on the same foot since you're opening new packs to build from

Basically, Draft is the most fun format. It has a lot of variance, but not too much variance like Sealed Deck. And you don't need to drop hundreds of dollars to be competitive. Plus, pulling planeswalkers and other goodstuff feels good.

As I mentioned, the designers of Magic have talked a lot about the benefits of the mana system, including in this article. The same designer helped to create Duel Masters / Kaijudo, which allows you to play any card as a resource, and has concluded that such a system is not as good for gameplay as Magic's mana system.

In short, having mana as separate cards allows for more variance between games; creates another area for players to demonstrate skill via how to handle different land states and how to construct your deck; and allows a way for less skilled players to win against more skilled players, which really is an important thing for games.

ultron87

You mentioned the prerelease next weekend. That's a great way to start! Prereleases are really a great time where all facets of the community come out to play and plenty of people will be willing to help out newer players.

You'll get a pool of cards to play with so you really don't have to bring anything. It would be helpful however to bring a pen and paper to keep track of life totals and maybe a few dice for keeping track of other stuff. Also if you want to bring cards sleeves to protect anything nice you open it might be a good idea.

Some basics on putting a pre-release deck together: You'll want to build a 40 card deck and use two or three colors. You get to add basic lands as much as you want to whatever cards you open in your pool. You'll want to try and build a deck with 17 or 18 land to get the proper ratio of lands to spells.

Though as a warning, Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged are on the far end of complexity, with both morph and the new manifest ability.

Novocaine

I take it you're not a Zerg player? kekekekeke

Basically, Draft is the most fun format. It has a lot of variance, but not too much variance like Sealed Deck. And you don't need to drop hundreds of dollars to be competitive. Plus, pulling planeswalkers and other goodstuff feels good.

Green/black are what I usually have the most fun with. I guess I'm also an asshole, I played a lot of elf decks.

The Technomancer

Though as a warning, Khans of Tarkir and Fate Reforged are on the far end of complexity, with both morph and the new manifest ability.

Oh yeah, be warned, the current sets are kind of insanely complex to a new player (jesus I wouldn't want to be learning to play with Morph and Manifest at the same time)

Its not always like that, but it swings back and forth

Ludovico

Wait... we're coming up on pre-release?

Damn, just reading this makes me want to get back in....
So next Friday, I can show up, roll with one of 8 pre-built decks, with 3 added boosters, and build and play a full tournament?
I did Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash pre-release, but that was ages ago...

The Technomancer

Wait... we're coming up on pre-release?

Damn, just reading this makes me want to get back in....
So next Friday, I can show up, roll with one of 8 pre-built decks, with 3 added boosters, and build and play a full tournament?
I did Return to Ravnica and Gatecrash pre-release, but that was ages ago...

Hm? That's not how pre-releases work, but yes they are next weekend. You get six packs for a sealed pool

ultron87

I remember picking guilds for Gatecrash, which iirc determined our initial cardpool that we could supplement with two or three boosters.

Similarly for this one you pick a "clan" which represents a set of 3 colors and get a box that has some boosters including one that is specifically for your set of colors.

Also the prerelease will be on Saturday and Sunday, not Friday. Unless you go to a place doing a Friday at midnight one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom