• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I want to travel to Europe. Need some help from fellow Gaffers

Hello my dearest friends. As some of you probably know I'm from Brazil. I'd like to go to Italy with my wife and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. There's tons of things there we'd like to see. We have a possibility of going to Portugal first spending very little money, how difficult is it to go to Italy from Portugal? Have in mind that neither of us has ever been out of our country.

What's the best time of the year to visit? What can we do to make our money worth? :) Any recommendations? Places we should visit? Thanks!

Last edited:

thief183

Travelling between Europe's country is really straightforward, but you should think about buying the ticket a bit before to save some money. In Italy there is a lot to see, I'd say go ti Rome, that city is marvellous, them travel through the centre of Italy (Umbria and Tuscany) there are a lot of medieval town to visit and the food is awesome, if you prefer sea places than you can't go wrong with Sicily and Sardegna, but both will require a travel with a ship, still I travel a lot, but I've never seen places like the ones I've seen in Sardegna.

Don't forget ofc of the grand classics, you can't come I Italy and don't visited Venice, that should be illegal :p

So as summary: Rome, Assisi, Florence, Venice, and if you can, Sardegna and Sicilia. It is going to be a lot of road tho :)

Edit: sorry for the errors but the phone is making me get mad

Last edited:

stn

Italy is amazing, go to Florence! Its small and great, I have a summer place there that I try to visit every year. Highly recommended, though tons of tourists.

Travelling between Europe's country is really straightforward, but you should think about buying the ticket a bit before to save some money. In Italy there is a lot to see, I'd say go ti Rome, that city is marvellous, them travel through the centre of Italy (Umbria and Tuscany) there are a lot of medieval town to visit and the food is awesome, if you prefer sea places than you can't go wrong with Sicily and Sardegna, but both will require a travel with a ship, still I travel a lot, but I've never seen places like the ones I've seen in Sardegna.

Don't forget ofc of the grand classics, you can't come I Italy and don't visited Venice, that should be illegal :p

So as summary: Rome, Assisi, Florence, Venice, and if you can, Sardegna and Sicilia. It is going to be a lot of road tho :)

Edit: sorry for the errors but the phone is making me get mad
Italy is amazing, go to Florence! Its small and great, I have a summer place there that I try to visit every year. Highly recommended, though tons of tourists.
Thank you both! Sounds awesome. Wifey likes rustic places and I heard Italy has a lot of historic places like that right?

Edit: damn you weren't kidding, Assisi is incredible wow. I'm thiking if going to Naples.

Last edited:

dsp

I'm thiking if going to Naples.
shaking_head_disgust_keanu_reeves.gif

T4keD0wN

Watch your pockets when in Rome and go in outside of the tourist season.
Kidding aside, its easy as hell to travel around most of the europe. Avoid going to shadier restaurants near the popular tourist locations and dont just visit big towns, look up some smaller towns that sound cool to you, they are often more pleasant to briefly visit than some of the major ones that are crammed with people. Not as big of a problem when you go outside of less popular months. Look up some castles, churches, torture chambers, dungeons, museums and palaces.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You can look at doing a BUS tour which will spend a day or two in every major spot and give you some highlights. It is what I did for the Balkans.

I assume you want to hit Rome, Venice, and Maybe Tuscany. If you are into history you may look or stuff on the Etruscans.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Visit the coast of Croatia, then go east into Bosnia.
Maybe hit Rovinj, Split, Dubrovnik,
R.f9dd54ec7bcada31e39d6a38f3e89db5
dsc03182-768x512.jpg
Dubrovnik-Croatia-night-shots-1.jpg

go over to Mostar, Sarajevo.
th
09a486fbee10931d1896bf38b97d4afc.jpg

then north to Perucica Forest (Europe's last primeval forest.)
3cf33bd7-2dea-4271-b7e7-6d574fd9c880-naslovna.jpg

Then keep going north into more Europe. (Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, etc.)

Last edited:

Trilobit

Traveling in Europe is as easy as seeing an attractive Brazilian woman on a beach.

HKmcWoG.png

Just look at how small Europe is compared to Brazil. It's super dense. You'll get to see so many different places and taste different foods on your travels!

Fuz

Banned
Hello my dearest friends. As some of you probably know I'm from Brazil. I'd like to go to Italy with my wife and I'd really appreciate it if you could help me. There's tons of things there we'd like to see. We have a possibility of going to Portugal first spending very little money, how difficult is it to go to Italy from Portugal? Have in mind that neither of us has ever been out of our country.

What's the best time of the year to visit? What can we do to make our money worth? :) Any recommendations? Places we should visit? Thanks!
Yo. Sardinian here (they say it's part of Italy, I dunno about that but anyway)
I've actually been to Portugal, but we did a road trip from Madrid, so not sure about flights from there.
I can give you some pointers if you tell me what you're interested it.
Rome is always a safe bet, so is Florence. Problem is, they're overcrowded in turist season. Venice is shit in the summer, you'll only see people.
Best regions for eating: Tuscany, Sicily, Sardinia, Campania.
Best time of the year is mid spring, good weather and not too crowded. Either that or September/October. August is a massacre.
if you prefer sea places than you can't go wrong with Sicily and Sardegna, but both will require a travel with a ship
Uh, no? We have international airports.

Last edited:
When I went backpacking in early 20s around Europe, friends and I just got the Eurorail pass and you can get youth rates if you're under 28 - there are downsides getting the pass like making sure you book ticket, different train vendors have different policies but we managed. You can also also stay in hostels for cheap like <$20/night. Hostels not for everyone (usually sanitation/fright of strangers is biggest complaint). But for us hostels were perfect as you meet new people, go out with them, "college vibes". Prague is probably my favorite city in europe.

As others have mentioned, super easy to get around Europe once you land there whether by flight or train.

Last edited:

Trunx81

When I went backpacking in early 20s around Europe, friends and I just got the Eurorail pass and you can get youth rates if you're under 28 - there are downsides getting the pass like making sure you book ticket, different train vendors have different policies but we managed. You can also also stay in hostels for cheap like <$20/night. Hostels not for everyone (usually sanitation/fright of strangers is biggest complaint). But for us hostels were perfect as you meet new people, go out with them, "college vibes". Prague is probably my favorite city in europe.

As others have mentioned, super easy to get around Europe once you land there whether by flight or train.
Just wanted to mention Eurorail. It's the cheapest way to travel around all of Europe.

If you come in September, avoid Munich. During Octoberfest, the prices for a night are crazy and not affordable. Otherwise it's the most beautiful city of Germany, close in front of Hamburg.

Visit Amsterdam, it's great and has more bridges than Venice. Although I love Venice.

Pairs, for sure, or you visit the eery Verdun battlefield and take a look at the corpses that they couldn't identify and threw into a monument with a glass in front to look at them. Terrifying but also amazing.

mxbison

It's pretty easy and cheap to travel around Europe so if you're making the long trip from Brazil (and depending on how long you're staying) it's definitely worth doing more stops.

Some great locations:

Rome
Amsterdam
Berlin
Prague
Vienna
Barcelona
Paris

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Mid September in the northern parts of Italy is glorious. Have spent time both in Lake Garda and Lake Como, around the Italian Grand Prix times. I’d recommend a place called Sirmione, which is a gorgeous little town on Garda.

Last edited:
Did a trip with my wife a few years ago, this was our itinerary iirc, with a heavy focus on beach/coastal towns.

Fly into rome, stayed a night or two.
Train to naples, Rented a car in naples.
Drove through / stayed around pompei, salerno, amalfi, sorrento, capri. Spent like 3-5 days here

Did train back from naples to florence (enjoyed this city way more than rome). Only spent 1 night here.

Then trained over through piza to cinque terra and spent the remaining 3-5 days here.

Did it in sept

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
If you watch the news, western Europe is pretty much on fire and not in a good way, and as Fuz said, it's very crowded with dumb ass tourists. Best time is always mid Sept-Oct., prices lower as well.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If you go to Italy and somebody comments on your "nice shoes" do not engage! Just ignore and keep on walking.

belmarduk

Portugal is a wonderful country to visit. The food is excellent and the people are nice. I loved everything about it. Its also very inexpensive compared to other European countries.

Alebrije

Be aware of scammers , pickpokets....specially in Italy.....

I know there are scammers in all places like the ones on New York ( Cd rappers)but on my exprience Italy has more and diverse.

Do not get me wrong , Italians are very good people with charisma but some of them uses that to scam tourist.

Also no matter wher you are in Europe take care of the exchange rate..you will get more euros if you look for the right places.

Fbh

Traveling around Europe is pretty easy as it's fairly small so once you are in any major European country you can get to a ton of nice places within 2-3 hours by plane. Also if you buy your plane ticks with some time in advance and don't mind flying with budget airlines with shitty uncomfortable cramped seats the prices are really low too.

Italy is awesome, depending on what you want to do you can enjoy it by visiting a couple of the major cities and locations for a few days, but it's also a country you can travel through for a month and have a great time. I've visited Venice, Florence, Roma and Sicily and really enjoyed all of them . I've heard great things about some of the lesser known southern areas near Lecce (as in that they are really nice and not as crowded or expensive as the more famous locations) but I've admittedly never been there.

From what I remember I think September is a good month as the weather is still nice but places aren't as crowded. Avoid June/July if possible.

keraj37

Amazing pizza and cool people. The underground was interesting and the archeological museum was one of the best in the world. Also the Sansevero chapel sculptures were beyond incredible. Italy never disappoints.
Italy, alongside the Spain, is the tourism place league on its own. You can have 3 lifetimes sightseeing there and still, it wouldn't be enough. I know, I lived there in the south - Villa San Giovanni

Amazing pizza and cool people. The underground was interesting and the archeological museum was one of the best in the world. Also the Sansevero chapel sculptures were beyond incredible. Italy never disappoints.
The Sansevero Chapel sculptures are actually what made me want to go to Italy! I'd love to see them in person.

Also, to those who know the place, is there a neighboring town I could stay in instead of finding a hotel in, say, Rone or Naples themselves? Something cosy but not as expensive?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I’m going to go with no on this one - Venice proper is an area of ruined, small buildings and flats. You can find numerous articles mentioning almost no one lives there anymore since it’s PITA logistics-wise - no stores to serve the inhabitants, hordes of tourists, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom