• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns" Registered as US Trademark/Patent Office

albneug.png

webcontent

Edit: Realized I typed "as" instead of "at", shutup it's 2AM for me right now

Edit 2: I should note, that no one knows if its an expansion or not; but then again no Living Story update/episode has been trademarked before. Whatever it is, it's something big.

I knew they had to be working on something. I hope they overhaul some of the game design. I wasn't to fond of the unlock system of skills. I really wish they can return it to to GW 1 style.

Syril

Geez, by this point I thought they just weren't doing expansions. I'd like to get back into it, but I was getting seriously burned out by the pace they were doing new story events that were level 80. I only have one level 80 character, so it was always a choice between using a character I didn't want to play to do stuff I wanted to or using a character I wanted to play to do stuff I didn't want to. Sometimes I feel like the game would be more suited to not having experience levels, as weird as that would be.

NH0zEjj.gif

Wish list:

Playable Race; Quaggans.
Have a hulk form. Says OOOOooooOOooo a lot. Is so cute I can't handle it.

240px-Quaggan_Hatchling.jpg

New continent; Cantha
Tyrias "asian-inspired" world is the best western take on Asian mythology I have ever. Jeremy Soules score is amazing for the original Guild Wars Factions!

161363-guild-wars-factions-windows-screenshot-world-map-of-cantha.jpg

New weapons; Halberds
Time to wreck some fools. Also morning-stars would be nice.
Black_halberd_detail.png

Phazon

I enjoyed the Living World and story a lot. It's a great thing to keep us busy and tell some stories while waiting for an expansion like this.

Let's hope it indeed is an expansion. My Tyrian Heroes are ready to kick some Modremoth butt.

Geez, by this point I thought they just weren't doing expansions. I'd like to get back into it, but I was getting seriously burned out by the pace they were doing new story events that were level 80. I only have one level 80 character, so it was always a choice between using a character I didn't want to play to do stuff I wanted to or using a character I wanted to play to do stuff I didn't want to. Sometimes I feel like the game would be more suited to not having experience levels, as weird as that would be.

My second character I levelled from 1-80 by just doing World vs World. You get bumped to lvl 80 right away, so it felt... it felt almost like Battlefield 2 as an Action RPG. I had tremendous fun doing that.

My third character I mostly did crafting and other parts of the world. you always can go back and do another area because of scaling. And on the fourth character I did a lot of structured pvp.

My current set;

Warrior. My main. Run a regenerateable build. I stick to Greatsword / Longbow, and have for over a year. Before that I had a shout healer build, which I really liked. Before that I had an Sword/Axe / Rifle build which was for mobility, farming.
fSGkq0I.jpg

Necromancer. I'm not good at playing her, as she was mostly done Minion-mastering in a cookie cutter build I saw on reddit. The thing is, that I levelled her with crafting. She is really cool but I am gonna change her soon to something else. I'm thinkg some sort of debuff madness machine. I'm a fan of the staff and the warhorn, but I also quite like the scepter.
eBUWrhC.jpg

Guardian. What I have used the most. He was leveled from lvl 1-80 in WvW and PvP. He runs a great group shout healer build. The gear is a mix of strength/toughness/healing. It makes me very vulnerable to debuffs, but I can take a punch and be a frontline healer character. I have some cleaning buffs, so I remove conditions and debuffs when I use my shout. Im using the greatsword and staff but sometimes I swap for scepter/shield. I love this character.
D3gfYBD.jpg

Good news, i haven't played since the fall of Lions Arch event a while back. I have they go back to Cantha, Factions was so good, Luxon Warrior armour was the shit!

But in GW2 - Once i hit 80 and done all the dungeons i couldn't figure why i should keep playing :/

Also i was playing on a Mac and it runs like shit. Frame rate drops to about 10 when there's alot going on.

Twookie

oh fuck, I told myself I would never ever return to this game. Not sure I can resist the expansion though, I guess one doesn't truly leave this game after all

Good news, i haven't played since the fall of Lions Arch event a while back.

Once i hit 80 and done all the dungeons i couldn't figure why i should keep playing :/

Well, Guild Wars 1, like 2 have always had the philosophy that you could take a break until you felt you wanted to return. They don't have the same follow-the-carrot-on-the-stick like subscription MMOs have had. They don't run on monthly revenues, so they are fine by having casuals who take a break when they are done.

It's one of the reasons why I love it. I can take a break, and not felt pressured into having to get the new latest gear.
The game offers plenty of grind, for 1337 fashion wars, but there is no statistical damnation. That makes it a much more relaxing experience for me. I loved games like WoW, but I never enjoyed the raiding or getting 10 new levels for each expansion.

GW2, is not a perfect game, but over 1000 hours into this - I've fucking loved it. This franchise is the only one I've played, that I felt I could decide what I wanted to do, and still be competitive/relevant on my terms.
I haven't experienced discrimination against my class or build in the regular dungeons (I think this is only in the high level fractals for the serious dungeon crawlers) and I just find the community to be the most pleasing I have experienced since Star Wars Galaxies.

It's not like Galaxies at all. No game ever will be, but for a themepark MMO hybrid. I appreciate the fuck out of this game. I'm excited just talking about it. Having the GAF guild also helps. They are the best sub GAF community I have seen. Except for Kos. That guy is seriously messed up.

I'm kind of conflicted, on one hand I hope the expansion spices things up and changes some of the game design philosophy on the other though I'm not that excited.

I find that odd as Guild Wars 1 was one of my favourite online games,I was always excited for the next Expansion, Guild Wars 2 tried to reduce grind and make itself an MMO,however all it did was make the grind for me worse and put me off.(Story Mode took a hit, even though both games did not have a great one)

It becoming an MMO just ruined Guild Wars franchise for me, I know it is an unpopular opinion, however sadly the game was one of my biggest disappointments of 2012.

However I understand most prefer the grind or doing tasks over and over to get that legendary weapon or armour,so I guess I'm in the minority.

I'm kind of conflicted, on one hand I hope the expansion spices things up and changes some of the game design philosophy on the other though I'm not that excited.

I find that odd as Guild Wars 1 was one of my favourite online games,I was always excited for the next Expansion, Guild Wars 2 tried to reduce grind and make itself an MMO,however all it did was make the grind for me worse and put me off.(Story Mode took a hit, even though both games did not have a great one)

It becoming an MMO just ruined Guild Wars franchise for me, I know it is an unpopular opinion, however sadly the game was one of my biggest disappointments of 2012.

However I understand most prefer the grind or doing tasks over and over to get that legendary weapon or armour,so I guess I'm in the minority.

Nah, I pine for the Guild Wars 1 days as well. That game was almost perfection.

Please be an expansion, I loved this game so much... had to quit cos of lack of content :(

I am willing to go back if the expansion provides enough content and additions.

Philippo

I had to drop it long ago because i didn't have anyone to play it with, and now that i want to i have a crappy laptop.
I wish they'd port this on PS4 :/

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
whos to say it isnt just a reboxxed gw2 with all updates ready and a name to go with the upcmoing living stories

Hastati

A-net seems to be firmly entrenched in their core design philosophy of GW2, I can't imagine this doing anything but adding a lot of new content following that same formula. I have no faith in their current ability to improve on their own game design. I'm just going to wait for GW3 and hope that they stop worrying so much about balance, move on from their failed and hypocritical attempt to fix MMO grinding, and give us an engaging and fun experience.

Cels

Yeah me too especially the combat.

I would be pleasantly surprised if arenanet made sweeping changes to the combat. I would love to see condition builds become good in pve for once. It would be a nice change to be able to use a condition build in parties without sacrificing so much damage. Unfortunately, conditions have always been poor in pve with the exception of solo play, where it can be all right.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They still aren't done with the Thorns crap?

Geez.

I'll look into it when it's out, but GW2's combat just feels wrong. I can't be bothered to do anything past the story missions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I dunno, I actually like the combat itself. Some stats rebalancing is needed (see Conditions), but I like how the combat doesn't feel stiff.

Wish the game was updated more outside of the silly Living Story missions. Game is largely the same as it was at release, save for a few quality of life changes here and there.

They would need to make some serious overhauls to the game to grab my interest again. With that said, hope this makes a lot of people happy.

I would be quite happy if it's an expansion. I haven't played this in quite a while now due to the seemingly lack of relevant content. Those living story things weren't that good to be honest.

A new expansion is exactly what is needed.

Grudy

Anet please let this be an expansion. After more than 2k hours I've had enough of the current dungeons, fractals and bosses :l I want Hard mode >.>

After 29 months they finally announcing an expansion...took them long enough..

Guild Wars: Eye of the North was already out at this point in GW1's lifespan. I really hope this doesn't end up just being some more living story stuff, I want a full on expansion. Guild Wars 2 has been a massive disappointment for me after loving GW1.

DMiz

Really curious to know if this will be enough to re-invigorate interest in Guild Wars 2. It seems like much of the hype that it was building up prior to its release culminated in a rather dedicated fanbase, but not much general buzz.

Given GW2's model, this seems like the most assured way that it can keep its servers open, but how much of its starting player-base will return, and how many new customers that they can convince to bite, is going to be interesting.

Still, looks interesting. Cheers to ArenaNet for staying in the game!

potam

Banned
I'm interested in seeing what they'll be adding. Unfortunately, I still think the core mechanics of the game are just bad and boring. Maybe not boring, but unrewarding. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if any of my complaints are addressed.

Grudy

They have a 1.5 hour main stage PAC South panel about the he future of Guild Wars 2 soon.

Yep, on the 24th to be exact. The president of the company and the game director will be conducting the panel so it has to be something big :)

Retro

They have a 1.5 hour main stage PAC South panel about the he future of Guild Wars 2 soon.

Yep;
Guild Wars 2: Beyond the Point of No Return

Join ArenaNet president and co-founder Mike O’Brien and Guild Wars 2 game director Colin Johanson for an exclusive sneak peek at what’s next in Guild Wars 2 and be among the first to hear how we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning.

Panelists:
Mike O'Brien [President and Co-Founder, ArenaNet],
Colin Johanson [Guild Wars 2 Director, ArenaNet]

Main Theatre: Saturday 1/24 10:30AM - 12:00PM
(source)

A lot of folks think the "new framework for how an MMO can grow" bit suggests something other than a traditional boxed expansion. Whatever it is, it's certainly big enough to merit a new logo and the company president on hand for its announcement (He hasn't done a trade show since the game launched).

A lot of guys in the GW2 OT say it will be crystal desert. I also think it's what WoodenPotatoes has been hinting at ( https://www.youtube.com/user/WoodenPotatoes )

Come on Vigi...are you even paying attention to OT?

There is no way this has anything to do with Crystal Desert in the South East of Tyria, when this whole time the Living World is moving us West towards Magumma (also a deserty area).

Nevertheless I am super excited for whatever this ends up being, which I guess we will find out more at PAX South on Jan 24th.

HYPED!

I also hope they add NOTHING that the people who quit the game (most people in this thread) are asking for. Keep the people who are still playing happy not the people who didn't like the game anyway.

I also hope they add NOTHING that the people who quit the game (most people in this thread) are asking for. Keep the people who are still playing happy not the people who didn't like the game anyway.

The fuck?

Why would people that didn't like the game come back for the expansion?

I loved the game, just thought i was done with it. So this expansion will bring me back and probably alot more people with me.

Come on Vigi...are you even paying attention to OT?

There is no way this has anything to do with Crystal Desert in the South East of Tyria, when this whole time the Living World is moving us West towards Magumma (also a deserty area).

Nevertheless I am super excited for whatever this ends up being, which I guess we will find out more at PAX South on Jan 24th.

HYPED!

Did you forget that the crystal deserts is where the ghost warrior and forgotten is at? Aka ascension.

Did you forget that the crystal deserts is where the ghost warrior and forgotten is at? Aka ascension.

So what?

He probably will just help us open that cave entrance at the end of last episode, during today's episode.

If we were going to Crystal Desert there is no way there wouldn't be something in the name of this expansion that hinted to Kralkatorrik the Crystal Dragon.

The fuck?

Why would people that didn't like the game come back for the expansion?

I loved the game, just thought i was done with it. So this expansion will bring me back and probably alot more people with me.
Wasn't really talking about people who loved the game and just stopped playing. I was talking about people who quit because they didn't like the game and keep suggesting things that do not make any sense for GW2 to people like me who have played for over 3000 hours.

Top Bottom