• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favourite section of TLOU? (Obvious spoilers)

This is simple, explain your absolute favourite chapter of The Last of Us. It can be because of the visuals/setting, the story progression that occurs, character moments, or anything really. Just tell us why it sticks with you the most, and feel free to post photos that you think convey your choice.

Mine:

The Suburbs

I didn't appreciate this area as much the first time around, but playing it again on the PS4 really cemented its place in my heart as my favourite chapter in the game. For one, I find a lot of dreary/depressed games wear me down and lessen my enjoyment. While TLOU is a masterpiece all around, I did find it a struggle to keep going at times, simply because I was exhausted emotionally both from plot developments and from the tension of fighting enemies.

The Suburbs comes at a perfect time, fighting through all the hunters in Pittsburgh and the escape from that sewer journey left me battered and weak. So what a relief it was to find this quiet little surburban neighbourhood, the soft glow of sunlight illuminating the houses. The conversations and character moments here are some of the best for me, as is the slow pace of just going from house to house, taking in all the wonderful detail and interacting with various items and places. My absolute favourite was the little game of darts that Ellie and Sam played. And of course, what follows the Suburbs (Sam and Henry's death) makes you appreciate these brief moments of happiness all the more, and how rare and special they can be.

ibqQvnIMHfMnJ0.jpg

ibhTi3m1DeoxgQ.jpg

iQiv5p8HMfpBl.jpg

So GAF, please feel free to share your favourite moment!

Probably The University.

But yeah, it's like picking a favorite chapter in your favorite movie. There's a lot that bring the whole thing together.

Yeah, Winter might be where the game peaks for me.
I love the overall mood, it's the one part with a clear antagonist character (who is well written) and thematically, it feels like this big payoff to a number of things the game has been building towards.

ascii42

I loved the Suburbs too. Exploring those houses was great. I also loved the optional conversation about the ice cream truck. But winter was probably my favorite part. Playing as Ellie was an interesting change, and the whole thing was so well paced.

Best season was Winter.

Best area was Bills Town. The traps, the character, the escape... Full of such great sights, scenes and characterisation.

I really adored discovering the remnants of the sewer community and Ish's notes.

There's waaaaaay more that come to mind, though. The game is just brimming with memorable sections and moments.

Gestault

I think the giraffe scene was such a beautiful moment that it makes that whole segment my favorite. Otherwise, Winter was pretty excellent.

Gonna have to go with Winter. The game had me by the balls by that point.

Everything from story to the encounter design was just flawless.

Jachaos

Winter

Bill's Town was cool too. The hotel, the suburbs, the dam and ranch scene and the university were also all very good.

I can't think of any especially singularly excelling section, but Winter is definitely the bit i'd replay again. I played the game on hard, and while everything was, well, hard, that bit was stressing and tense in a way the rest of the game wasn't.

...All of it?

Ok fine, Pittsburgh was amazing for gameplay, and while I love winter it was just too short to give it the nod.

So when I replay the game, I look forward to the hunters in Pittsburg.

Melchiah

I don't know why but I really like the University section. Something about it really just stuck with me.

Same here. I enjoyed exploring the area, and it also contributed on the atmosphere that Ellie and Joel had grown close at that point. Bill's town comes as a second.

Arondight

I had three main highlights

Winter chapter easily. I loved the setting, how you played as Ellie and starts with you tracking down the deer, and then the confrontation with David was just creepy.

The second favourite section would be just right after where your in the tunnel and have to sneak past bloaters, clickers and runners. Very intense section.

The third would be in the apartment/hotel where you are separated from Ellie, when you see the rats scrambling towards you. Gave me shivers knowing something was up. Got a massive fright when the clicker jumped when turning the generator on and I pretty much gaped it as fast as possible.

Winter. Followed by Fall (mainly University) and Bill. The entire Pittsburgh story was the low point for me (at least the basement section was good).

IndustryX

Greatest game of all time, my top 3 parts in order

1. Winter - The cannibal scenes with David was intense, really made me feel like I was fighting for my life, then simultaneously switching between Joel and Ellie, pacing was superb. Sneaking up to David's building with Ellie is some of the most rewarding game-play in the entire story and chopping David up at the end of the season in the burning down restaurant was uber satisfying.

2. University - When Joel impaled himself I almost shit my pants, crazy atmosphere. I also initially thought we were reaching the end, then those monkeys on the top floor really added a lot. Leaving the building as Joel hobbled over, seeing Ellie save Joels ass.. pure awesome.

3. Bill's Town - I really enjoyed bill's story, the traps, first encounter with the bloater, getting a bow etc.

Pittsburgh is close as that has some of the best human combat sections in the entire game.

Seriously my favorite game ever, beat it 4 times and I could easily go back and play it all over again and love it just as much.

Can't forget that intro either, hit me right in the feels..

Bluefist

Neo Member
The attention to detail throughout the environments. Such as the bottle of tide in the basement laundry when Joel wakes up during winter or what were clearly spectrophotometers and chromatography instruments in the university labs.

Very small things that add to the authenticity of the world, which greatly assists the story that the world itself is telling.

Eightguy

Neo Member
The very beginning of the game. It just really set the tone for me and is one of the best introductions to any game I have ever played. The time jump at the end also really surprised me the first time I played.

Certinty

Has to be the first chapter, the setting, tension, pacing and what not were all amazing.

Besides that though nothing else really stood out for me, I mean I liked the game but everything else was rather repetitive and got boring fast.

I liked poking around the university. The hotel basement really stands out in my memory though, I felt so dejected when I realized that the keycard wouldn't open the door, and the mad dash after starting the generator was exhilarating.

Not really my favorite moment (that would be the unanimously lauded winter segment) but this was a memorable one for me; during the escape from Pittsburgh, you find an artifact document from one of the bandits in Henry and Sam's hideout.

I can't remember the exact content, but it was a final entry from a bandit that was forced into their service under the threat of death, and made to kill or otherwise be killed. The hideout was something of a sanctuary away from his captors.

So by having the note in that location, the game implicitly tells you that Henry and Sam killed this person in order to gain access to the hideout.

It's not like this is the only case of the collectibles and environment together telling a story in TLoU (the sewers were just massively impressive in that regard) yet somehow this one remained the most memorable to me for the way it reframed the enemy you were fighting so hard against in Pittsburgh, and the location you thought was just a random safe haven.

Rolf NB

These images remind me of how much I hate DOF. It's a whole damn lot.

I really liked the suburbs after picking up car guy, mostly due to gameplay reasons. That's roughly the place where all training wheels and other restraints are dropped and the game goes into sandbox mode. It's challenging, and solutions are usually of the strategic kind.

Story moments, I dunno. Everyone loves the giraffe thing, and so did I, including the whole stretch leading up to it.

Derpcrawler

I like part with Tommy, with Ranch and horse rides and areas around dam. Honestly it's hard to point most favorite part since game is so good. I wish I could erase my memory of playing it and replay it again.

I liked the tension in the section where you go against the cannibals. Also my 2nd favorite was the University, and last but not least, my third favorite one is the first part with joel and his daughter.

Hunting the deer.

holy shit really?! I HATE that part of the game with a boiling passion. Fuck the bow and arrow in the last of us

Bandit1

My favorite section to actually play through, so not really counting story moments, would be Pittsburgh. From the moment you wreck the truck up until you get to the guys with the Hummer and the turret. It's just straightforward, pure, gameplay. No gimmicks, no other characters tagging along. Just you, the hunters, and the bloater in the hotel basement.

Top Bottom