• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Nintendo eShop/digital prices to rise up to 185% on 12.02

I know some of you used an eShop loophole by switching to Russian NNID... Well, the party is over - starting the next eShop update, the prices will go up very highly (at least if we look at them from the prespective of rouble) - at least, as stated, "all Nintendo games and selected third-party games". I wonder if it affects Virtual Console/Wii downloads on Wii U - with these rises, they are basically useless for us.

Here's the link on Nintendo of Russia's announcement on VK: https://vk.com/wall-51893306_19285.

XHMWnRNhn9o.jpg

Just to make things clear - before the crash, 2500 roubles was the price of a $60 game. So, since the wages are the same, a $60 game feels as a $100 game. This already happened in the retail, and this is actually quite sad. eShop was the last hope for Russia.

The last two columns are for prices in Nintendo of Russia's eShop code store (via Yandex.Money). I am giving them a big credit - they cut off up to 900 roubles (15 US dollars, and we are talking about real, not "as we feel it" dollars) form the regular eShop prices.

It's a very sad time to be a Nintendo fan in this country, and things weren't that better - Nintendo was non-existent here till the Wii (which was never really marketed as a gaming console by our dumb distributors), and we received the official Nintendo office only starting with the Wii U. By the way, there is still no retail Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, despite the presence of preorders - I think everybody just understands that a low-budget puzzle game with the price bigger than Smash's is going to flop.

CengizMan

That really sucks for Russia. There must be a way without damaging the consumers in Russia to deal with that loophole.

Wace

Sony did the same with new games rising from 2999 to 4000. Well, it's nice that I managed to obtain about 20+ titles while it lasted, will be enough for half a year, hopefully.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Living in russia must be really bad right now, I hope general cost of living (food, rent) were unaffected by the collapse of the ruble. It's unfortunate, that political problems need to be carried out on the back of normal citizens who might not even agree with their government in the points under discussion :(.

samn

EU people, get those orders in now.... already snagged Hyrule Warrios, Captain Toad and Spin the Bottle.

Yoshi

That really sucks for Russia. There must be a way without damaging the consumers in Russia to deal with that loophole.

Acrually, I don't think the abuse was the only or even the main factor at play here. they could have just locked people from outside russia or only offer the russian lnaguage options for games bought on the russian eShop. You must remember that Nintendo has to exchange the money earned in russia to Yen, so if the local currency drops, the money they earn by selling game lessens, too.

Wace

Living in russia must be really bad right now, I hope general cost of living (food, rent) were unaffected by the collapse of the ruble. It's unfortunate, that political problems need to be carried out on the back of normal citizens who might not even agree with their government in the points under discussion :(.

Meh, nothing we haven't survived before. Collapse is rather weak this time, no more than 100%. Prices for local wares are raising slowly, but nothing critical. Videogames were among the last imports to update prices, by the way. We've enjoyed some fat times, now it's time for belt-tightening.

Well, it's not third-world country type of bad, but things sure got harder. What sucks for me more is that I and my family are half-Ukrainians... no, that doesn't affect directly our lives, but it's just painful to watch how two equally native and once peaceful nations blindly hate each other more than mortal foes.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
this might ultimately be a good thing for russia. putin has never had to deal with anything as dangerous as enraged nintendo fans.

Yoshi

Meh, nothing we haven't survived before. Collapse is rather weak this time, no more than 100%. Prices for local wares are raising slowly, but nothing critical. Videogames were among the last imports to update prices, by the way. We've enjoyed some fat times, now it's time for belt-tightening.

Quite a way of looking at it, I'm sure Germans wouldn't react anywhere nearly as calmly. Considering the continued lamenting because of a perceived raise in prices due to the Euro (yes, we're talking 10 years ago here, and not an effect remotely comparable to what Russians have to endure right now), I can't even imagine the amount of anger if something like that happened here...

maxcriden

That really sucks for Russian gamers. I had hoped games would somehow stay cheap for Russia but locked out for those taking advantage of the morally ambiguous price exploit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
That really sucks for Russian gamers. I had hoped games would somehow stay cheap for Russia but locked out for those taking advantage of the morally ambiguous price exploit.

Everything is going up. It's not just games, there was no chance they'd stay that low.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of price fluctuations in the global economy. Most international business works that way.
I import more from Japan now because the yen is so cheap.

Dunan

Acrually, I don't think the abuse was the only or even the main factor at play here. they could have just locked people from outside russia or only offer the russian lnaguage options for games bought on the russian eShop. You must remember that Nintendo has to exchange the money earned in russia to Yen, so if the local currency drops, the money they earn by selling game lessens, too.

This is probably the only thing preventing even bigger increases, because the yen has collapsed against all the other major currencies in the past two years: it was 77 yen to the US dollar in 2012 and is now closer to 120. Here in Japan we are paying much more for imported goods than we were just a few years ago.

If Nintendo's balance sheets were in dollars, things would be even tougher for Russian customers.

Wace

Quite a way of looking at it, I'm sure Germans wouldn't react anywhere nearly as calmly. Considering the continued lamenting because of a perceived raise in prices due to the Euro (yes, we're talking 10 years ago here, and not an effect remotely comparable to what Russians have to endure right now), I can't even imagine the amount of anger if something like that happened here...

State-wide propaganda helps. :) But enough of the off-topic. Just want to make a point that while there is console market here now (fat times, fat times), most of the gamers still prefer piracy and PCs (or can switch back there without much of the effort). And I think that's one of the reasons prices were kept low as long as it was possible.

This is probably the only thing preventing even bigger increases, because the yen has collapsed against all the other major currencies in the past two years: it was 77 yen to the US dollar in 2012 and is now closer to 120. Here in Japan we are paying much more for imported goods than we were just a few years ago.

If Nintendo's balance sheets were in dollars, things would be even tougher for Russian customers.

Nintendo of Russia has business with Nintendo of Europe Gmbh, not with NCL, so it's Euro/Rouble exchange rate that damages us.

I wonder if selected third party games is due to prices already being agreed on but the games not yet being released due to being the release queue (assuming the release queue is still a thing). I'd always assumed non-€ prices were locked to what NOE said unless you manually requested an override.

Still the only other case studies we have for this are Canada, South Africa, Australia and the UK (two of those are very recent). The UK is still waiting for the game prices to go down (as €1/=/£0.90) but the Wii Shop was unaffected (as are virtual console games on the Wii U that were on Wii, this leads to the paradox of GBA games being more expensive than SNES games in the UK). The fact the prices went up with the DSi and have stayed high makes me worry what will happen in Russia if things eventually stabalise.

Btw, NOE conversion to South Africa was €1=12zar but is now €1=13zar and went up after actual rates had reach a height of €1=16zar (it is about €1=13zar now).

Let's not give too much credit to tapantaola for ruining the Russian eShop as I believe the inflated MM 3D price was already on the eShop before that.

Anyway an interesting interview with the head of Nintendo Russia:
http://ru.ign.com/wiiu/73466/feature/nintendo-v-rossii-deti-net-fanaty-jrpg-da
It should be noted that is focusing on physical games (which already went up in price) and talks about how they stalled it (some of it is they already have the physical games so no point boosting the price).

Although that said I was under the impression the physical games were more expensive than the eShop (plus like the interview says in some parts they are very hard to find).

Edit:
Nintendo of Russia has business with Nintendo of Europe Gmbh, not with NCL, so it's Euro/Rouble exchange rate that damages us.
Plus these are eShop prices where NOE run the eShop for all PAL regions so they're effectively letting you pay in Roubles but will convert that to Euros then maybe Yen.

maxcriden

Everything is going up. It's not just games, there was no chance they'd stay that low.

Nothing wrong with taking advantage of price fluctuations in the global economy. Most international business works that way.
I import more from Japan now because the yen is so cheap.

I understand it's unlikely things would stay that low, I just feel bad for Russian gamers. :)

The issue is not importing. If you were importing from Russia to buy games I'd have no problem with that, but I believe it breaks the eShop TOS to change your region to buy cheaper games in Russia digitally. I think it's different than importing a physical good, you didn't agree to a TOS as a consumer of physical goods. (not trying to give you a hard time, just my two cents)

I feel sorry for the legitimate russion customers who...now....have to pay out the ass, but I won't shed a tear for those mainland europeans who exploited the russion eShop to get games cheaper than they were supposed to.

The issue is not importing. If you were importing from Russia to buy games I'd have no problem with that, but I believe it breaks the eShop TOS to change your region to buy cheaper games in Russia digitally.
Depends on how you view the following part of the Nintendo Network code on conduct:
http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/terms/wiiu/index.html said:
Providing any incorrect or false data when registering the Nintendo Network ID or using Nintendo Network; fraudulent activities on Nintendo Network (in particular, in relation to transactions in Nintendo Shopping Services);
I'd like to think the fraudulent shopping part is more about using stolen credit cards etc (I'd imagine like PSN they auto ban upon chargeback) so more the crime definition of fraud rather than the general deception definition of fraud but saying you're Russian when you're not could be viewed as providing false information.

As for the eShop as used on a 3DS sans NNID. Its terms have a similar statement about fraudulent or unlawful activity being grounds to suspend your use.

gugeifer

Actually, it's kinda news for another reason - Nintendo is not doing good in Russia.
Previous gen I could find their games and systems in some malls and shops - now I just order from their online shop, because I can't find anything, they either pulled or were pushed from every major country wide chain, if you want to buy, you either order from their online shop or order it elsewhere, like game.co.uk and such.

So, imagine, you operate in a country where PS4 has a cult following (it's like Iphone of consoles here really - you hold up, don't eat for a few months, get yourself PS4, or you are young and successfull and get one - that kind of stuff), Xbox is still living in it's full 360 pirated glory and you are Nintendo who nobody really cares about because you don't put out ads, you just manage with small group of really dedicated fans. And now prices go up.

Granted, Nintendo was at 2014 Moscow Igromir convention (and it was great, you could play a bunch of games and win prizes), they launch games, they are really showing that they are special and we love them, but it doesn't really help, Nintendo is distanced now from customer in Russia more then ever in recent history.

MUnited83

For you.
I understand it's unlikely things would stay that low, I just feel bad for Russian gamers. :)

The issue is not importing. If you were importing from Russia to buy games I'd have no problem with that, but I believe it breaks the eShop TOS to change your region to buy cheaper games in Russia digitally. I think it's different than importing a physical good, you didn't agree to a TOS as a consumer of physical goods. (not trying to give you a hard time, just my two cents)

It doesn't because you can just create a new account to do that, not change the region your main account is on.

Has nothing to do with the loophole.
Their currency has collapsed.

This. Games were expensive as fuck before the collapse and they would almost match the US pricing.

Kouriozan

Thanks whoever pointed it out for everyone :p
But really, almost everything increased there, even apple stopped selling app for a while.

robotnik

Didn't care before, don't care now. If I want something I'll import it from Canada. Still cheaper, than this abomination.

Dunan

Thanks whoever pointed it out for everyone :p
But really, almost everything increased there, even apple stopped selling app for a while.

Don't even get me started on how, after several big price jumps, Apple suddenly and without warning raised the price of the iPhone by a further 14% overnight to reflect even further falls in the value of the yen. ^_^;

Anybody who thinks that Nintendo would change their pricing structure in the largest country in the world because a few people took advantage of a long-winded trick, is fooling themselves.

The prices are being amended for the same reason the exploit was possible in the first place; their economy is doing really badly.

Mr White

Well, this kind of shit happens every 10-15 years here. So, nothing new to us. Sad part, that these prices on videogames really hurts our very small console market. Thankfully Valve didn't rise prices on Steam.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Does the Wii's VC shop or Wiiware exist in Russia? I mean, can you guys buy vc games on Wii? if yes (which I'm doubtful), how are the prices?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Also, the third colum says 1529 for Toad, but on the eshop right now is 1625?
And also all the other titles have a lower eprice on the third column, where can you buy them like that? I only see prices as the first column (and of course those will change in two days).

Son Of D

Also, the second third colum says 1529 for Toad, but on the eshop right now is 1625?
And also all the other titles have a lower eprice on the third column, where can you buy them like that?

I think that's for buying them in a retailer. Probably the Russian equivalent to Gamestop/GAME etc.

Does the Wii's VC shop or Wiiware exist in Russia? I mean, can you guys buy vc games on Wii? if yes (which I'm doubtful), how are the prices?

Actually, no. It wasn't available in Wii era since Nintendo was represented in Russia via third-party importers, and when Nintendo of Russia was formed (that happened, IIRC, alongside with the launch of Wii U), nobody really cared about it.

I think that's for buying them in a retailer. Probably the Russian equivalent to Gamestop/GAME etc.

No, it's for digital codes in Nintendo section of money.yandex.ru, an e-currency and online shop service by Yandex (Russian web search giant, like Baidu in China).

I guess they'll probably change that soon or go OOS, though.
I don't have a WiiU yet and am contemplating buying some games there just in case.

They will - the last two columns are for Yandex.Money. It will still be cheaper than eShop and maybe even cheaper that the retail.

Funnily enough earlier today I unboxed and hooked up the WiiU I bought last week and was hesitating whether to buy Super Mario 3D World from the Russian eShop or not when I got to the payment page, but looks like I'll have to make a decision quick then.

Shame that in the long term I won't be able to buy the games for as relatively cheaply as I got the console, but might as well make use of this once or twice before the prices go up.

How does it work through that Yandex thing? Sign up, buy it and get the download code?

You can buy from here and get a code to redeem on the eshop? Does it have to be on the Russian eshop or does it work in all of EU?

Good question.

Funnily enough earlier today I unboxed and hooked up the WiiU I bought last week and was hesitating whether to buy Super Mario 3D World from the Russian eShop or not when I got to the payment page, but looks like I'll have to make a decision quick then.

Shame that in the long term I won't be able to buy the games for as relatively cheaply as I got the console, but might as well make use of this once or twice before the prices go up.

I recommend you to buy Mario Kart 8 DLCs in advance - maybe you'll find retail copy cheap... but I highly doubt it - I have barely seen used MK8s since launch.

Top Bottom