• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Nintendo eShop "loophole"

Wii U games cost half the price compared to Eurozone eShop. i.e. Metroid Prime Trilogy costs around €5.

Wii U supports up to 12 NNID accounts, so apparently many people exploit that loophole to buy cheap games and play them on their main account. You just need a PAL console and set the console's region to Russia.

I know people have been doing this for ages on PSN/XBL, but Sony/MS are too lenient to ban people for that.

Do you think that Nintendo might ban those Russian alt accounts?

It seems like something you would do if you dont have a good income. Which I think is ethically fine. You are still buying the game. You arent stealing it.
So ....its not a bad thing.

Dunkley

Pretty sure that Nintendo will do something against this and it will end up pissing off a lot of people.

Don't think they'll ban those alts though, but they'll probably restrict region access rendering the account and the associated games inaccessible, just how it would be as if they were banned. So I guess in the long shot it won't matter.

INB4 we get another thread bitching about Nintendo banning a person's account and them losing access to their games for willingly exploiting and probably abusing (this is key) a loophole

Sakujou

Banned
No, it isnt illegal to buy things from other countries. It might be in Nintendos terms of service however, but it shouldnt be illegal.
if this is not illegal, why the fuck does ms ban people for doing that in xbox live?

iam not buying digital products, if they exist as a physical product, so i dont care about this.

Given that this is Nintendo we're talking about, I almost guarantee they'll do something to stop this, if word gets back to them.

Madao

couldn't they just raise prices in the Russian eshop?

like how they raise Canada's eshop prices to compensate for the weakening canadian dollar.

Cipherr

Sounds like fantastic groundwork to lay for your future thread filled with anger once they figure this out and strip your accounts
KuGsj.gif

No, it isnt illegal to buy things from other countries. It might be in Nintendos terms of service however, but it shouldnt be illegal.
Ah, alright. Just reminded me of a similar topic of some guy setting his NTSC Wii U to a tax less state to save money.
Also remember Valve adding region locking since people were doing the same with steam

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
couldn't they just raise prices in the Russian eshop?

like how they raise Canada's eshop prices to compensate for the weakening canadian dollar.

EA did this when people were using the Indian Store. I don't see how it solves much, Indians get higher prices and everyone else just started buying games from a different region.

Son Of D

I doubt they'll do anything about the accounts, but I do expect them to up the prices of Russian games.

Or they'll actually let it slide since they never did anything when the UK Nintendo store had digital 3DS and Wii U games for like £9 because of a pricing error.

Yeah I'm going with a price increase in Russia

finalflame

Gold Member
Ah, alright. Just reminded me of a similar topic of some guy setting his NTSC Wii U to a tax less state to save money.
Also remember Valve adding region locking since people were doing the same with steam

It's a different story if your changing your U.S. state to avoid state sales tax. That is tax fraud (to some degree); buying games from another region is not.

With that said, what states charge sales tax on digital purchases?

Jackano

Didn't knew that. Didn't even knew there was a Nintendo presence in Russia.

Seeing the mess it is to have a "Nintendo account" and the mess it is for them to switch to NNID purchases security, I bet no one is winning if you have an alt russian account too.

test_account

XP-39C²
if this is not illegal, why the fuck does ms ban people for doing that in xbox live?

iam not buying digital products, if they exist as a physical product, so i dont care about this.
It could be against Microsoft's terms of service. I have to admit that i'm far from any expert at law, but i havnt heard of any law that says that its illegal to buy digital goods from another country.

In that case, it seems that he is actively trying to avoid taxes within the same country, and that sounds illegal. But buying a digital game from another country isnt any different than ordering something online, at least in my opinion. Then normal import laws should apply. I'm not expert at law at all, but i havnt heard of anything such import being illegal at least. It could be a violation against terms of services instead, but i dont think its illegal as in breaking the law.

Adding region lock should be legal, so Nintendo can probably do this.

Pikma

Banned
Watch them create a new region just for Russia, or just create a Country Lock because who the fuck lives in two different countries.

Syriel

Microsoft has never banned people from buying games from different regions.

Not even when it was free games.

What Microsoft DID ban for was an instance where there was not actually an Xbox Live store in said region. If you just logged in with an account of that region, you wouldn't see the Xbox store online or any games on the console.

What people were doing was:

1) Creating accounts in the null region.
2) Accessing cached results from the primary region.
3) Using those cached results to attempt a purchase which went though at $0.00 since the price was null.

There is a big difference between simply buying from a foreign store and willingly exploiting a bug in an online system that would never normally be seen in normal usage.

If you're just logging on with an account from a foreign region and trying to make a purchase, MS isn't going to ban you.

I'm pretty sure they'll end up raising Russian prices at some point, they must have not touched them since its fall in December.

Ocaso

It is a violation of their terms of service. Those are their rules, not laws.

Madao

also, from the descriptions in this thread, it looks like the Russian eshop is better than what we get in most Latin American countries.

NoA just can't resist not being at the top of shittiness.

It is a violation of their terms of service. Those are their rules, not laws.

Yeah, you agreed at some point that you'd play by their rules when you set up your account. If you break the rules, they delete your account. The law doesn't enter in to it.

zsidane

Honestly, I won't mess with my NNID since I remember some shity lines on the TOS regarding changing countries and Nintendo reserving the right to lock your account and shit like that.

But do you need a russian credit card for that or the usual MasterCard/Visa are enough??

Honestly, I won't mess with my NNID since I remember some shity lines on the TOS regarding changing countries and Nintendo reserving the right to lock your account and shit like that.

But do you need a russian credit card for that or the usual MasterCard/Visa are enough??
No, you don't need a Russian credit card.

Welp, after witnessing this use of the image from someone who doesn't understand how finances and profits work, I can't ever use this again to mock genuinely greedy practices.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of Steam's massive userbase to make dosh off of massive pricecuts.

samn

Welp, after witnessing this use of the image from someone who doesn't understand how finances and profits work, I can't ever use this again to mock genuinely greedy practices.

Nintendo doesn't have the luxury of Steam's massive userbase to make dosh off of massive pricecuts.

What difference does the size of the userbase make? What matters is the percentage by which you can increase your sales compared to the percentage of $ lost per sale.

What difference does the size of the userbase make? What matters is the percentage by which you can increase your sales compared to the percentage of $ lost per sale.

It's almost as if that percentage were wholly dependent on the userbase or something.

No, you don't need a Russian credit card.
This sounds like the easiest way for them to deal with it if they deliberately cut prices in Russia (knowing Nintendo, unlike Steam's methods this is not deliberate). Fixing the card region. Unless this is somehow impossible in Russia.

ZeroX03

Banned
2400 rubles, IIRC.

Yes, they're English. It's only the eShop that's in Russian (Google Translate on your smartphone comes in handy).

Hooooly shit that's a good deal. That's less than half price of the New Zealand store, incredible.

I've bought stuff from the UK store before with no issue too. I've been on the fence about Hyrule Warriors but well now.

Top Bottom