• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why don't western games have melodic music?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Edit: Thread title should read "more western", oops. Now the defensiveness in this thread is making more sense.

I made a thread a while back about the differing styles of game music. I've come to wonder - why don't more western games have music in the purest sense of the term? The tracks you find in Japanese games can sometimes clearly be defined as instrumental versions of musical genres:

MMZX - Last Area

Mega Man X6 - Infinity Mijinion

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - Condemned Tower

Chaos Legion - Feel no Fear

Chrono Trigger - Undersea Palace

These all seem to function as "music" on their own, rather than as an accompanying score for a particular area or event. The two most glaring exceptions in the western gaming scene I can think of are the Donkey Kong Country series and Metroid Prime, with the Prime series actually finding a way to marry the ambient with the melodic, but these are both western takes on Japanese franchises.

This isn't to say that melodic music doesn't exist in any western games - it certainly does - just that it is far, far more rare than it is in Japanese games. Personally, I feel as if the western gaming scene could benefit greatly from having more distinct musical scores. The music in many Japanese games has become symbolic of its respective franchise, whereas western games tend to have it more as background than as a distinctive feature. I'm not saying that ambient music along the lines of The Streets of Whiterun is bad and should be replaced, but it doesn't have the same captive influence that more melodic music does, and it's a wonder more western games don't go for the melodic approach.

epmode

You're playing far too many "cinematic" AAA games if you feel this way. They tend to go for more ambient music.

There's all sorts of incredible stuff once you start looking elsewhere.

The PS2 Ratchet and Clank games are pretty melodic for the most part, although it's a good mix.

There is great stuff of all categories though. Deus Ex HR has a largely ambient soundtrack and it's amazing to listen to.

UnrealEck

Yeah it depends on the game. Open world RPGs and MMOs for example tend to have really long ambient music that's broken up into numerous segments and has little sort of themes that kick in and out. It suits the gameplay.

KingFire

Banned
The view of music is different. In western games, music is typically viewed as an enhancer of the experience. A lot of composers go for the atmospheric route because they do not want you to even pay attention to the score. It is there to enhance your feelings of the situation.

For some studios, music is a character. It is something that must be as forceful as your game characters. The music must not only enhance your experience, but also must stay with you even after playing the game.

In the past developers, had to use melodic tracks as they lacked the technical capacity of doing atmospheric non-melodic music. David Wise talks about his track for Wizards and Warriors for NES. He wanted to use vertical harmony (aka chords) but the system doesn't allow him. So he ended up writing it in a broken chord arrangement at high tempo, giving his composition a baroque texture which is highly melodic.

Some people say that melodic is just more difficult to perfect. You need great knowledge of counterpoint and creative melodies to come up with a great score. Ask any composer and they will tell you that counterpoint can be hellish despite being really fun to tackle.

BLunted

Banned
I don't know, but all the examples you provided are what I would consider as "cheesy video game music" and would definitely put me off playing a game.

Just different tastes for different folks I suppose. If you like that stuff, then more power to ya :)

injurai

Banned
Halo?
Uncharted?
God of War?
Ratchet & Clank?
The Elder Scrolls?
Red Dead Redemption?
Secret of Monkey Island?
Civilization?
World of Warcraft?
Splinter Cell?

entremet

Influence from film making, where music sets the tone.

Indie games are a bit more gamey in terms of their music.

K.Sabot

Sure Western Music can be really boring most of the time, but there are some exceptions 2 biggest being Darren Korb and Austin Wintory.

I'm a really big fan of Oscar Araujo's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1 and 2 OSTs. They kinda bridge the gap between the AAA ambient / boring orchestral score with more melodic sensibilities. Probably the only soundtrack of its kind that actually stood out to me during the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Influence from film making, where music sets the tone.

Indie games are a bit more gamey in terms of their music.

Yes, especially for AAA.

In indie games by contrast, the music is usually one of the centerpieces.

There was a time this was actually popular in film making and television as well. If you go watch 80's or earlier movies/TV shows you'll often see music in starring roles while things happen.

For good modern indie examples I'd point to things like Hotline: Miami, Monaco, and Risk of Rain where music is in an exceptionally present role.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
Look up Chris Heulsbeck.

You're welcome.

Hurray for your post!

Shovel Knight and Fez have two of the best soundtracks I've ever heard.

Flower has a great soundtrack too but it's perhaps a bit more Steve Reich-y than straight-up melodic.

The Last of Us has a gorgeous main theme, it's appropriately melancholic and cinematic.

You could probably also go back through any number of c64 games and find beautiful chip tune stuff.

So in short I'm not sure I agree with you, although I do love melodic themes in games - so am grateful to you for posting those links!

The music I listen to outside of gaming tends to be expiremental "atmospheric" music, so I'm perfectly fine with this being a trend in Western games. I'd sooner listen to Fallout's ambience-oriented soundtrack (in fact, I have this on my iPod right now) than most of the stuff in your OP.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hollywood envy.

Plus Japanese game music evolved from early console music which favoured simplistic tunes, an area where American development was kind of rare (give a shoutout to Europeans and their microcomputer chiptunes though)

jtb

Banned
Hans Zimmer.

it all comes back to this overrated fucking hack who has ruined Hollywood and now AAA developers look upon that garbage with envy

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Halo?
Uncharted?
God of War?
Ratchet & Clank?
The Elder Scrolls?
Red Dead Redemption?
Secret of Monkey Island?
Civilization?
World of Warcraft?
Splinter Cell?

Halo says hello.
Halo is right there in the OP, look harder. ;)

Ratchet is definitely a good example of a melodic western franchise. I feel as if WoW, Civ, Elder Scrolls, Splinter Cell, and most of the rest of those tend to fall more in the ambient category. Again, I reiterate that ambient does not = bad.

DKC: Tropical Freeze is a Western game
Also in the OP.

The view of music is different. In western games, music is typically viewed as an enhancer of the experience. A lot of composers go for the atmospheric route because they do not want you to even pay attention to the score. It is there to enhance your feelings of the situation.

For some studios, music is a character. It is something that must be as forceful as your game characters. The music must not only enhance your experience, but also must stay with you even after playing the game.

In the past developers, had to use melodic tracks as they lacked the technical capacity of doing atmospheric non-melodic music. David Wise talks about his track for Wizards and Warriors for NES. He wanted to use vertical harmony (aka chords) but the system doesn't allow him. So he ended up writing it in a broken chord arrangement at high tempo, giving his composition a baroque texture which is highly melodic.

Some people say that melodic is just more difficult to perfect. You need great knowledge of counterpoint and creative melodies to come up with a great score. Ask any composer and they will tell you that counterpoint can be hellish despite being really fun to tackle.
This is some nice insight. I guess when you think about it, atmospheric music wasn't really possible until later on in the video game world.

I don't know, but all the examples you provided are what I would consider as "cheesy video game music" and would definitely put me off playing a game.

Just different tastes for different folks I suppose. If you like that stuff, then more power to ya :)
Different tastes, indeed. The music you describe as "cheesy" is one of the biggest draws of those games for me. To each his own.

entremet

Yes, especially for AAA.

In indie games by contrast, the music is usually one of the centerpieces.

There was a time this was actually popular in film making and television as well. If you go watch 80's or earlier movies/TV shows you'll often see music in starring roles while things happen.

For good modern indie examples I'd point to things like Hotline: Miami, Monaco, and Risk of Rain where music is in an exceptionally present role.

Yep. The Rocky films are a good example of this.

Iksenpets

Banned
Western media in general is in a trend of pretty minimalist soundtracks right now. Much more focus on ambient atmosphere than on melody. It's just part of the overall trend towards realism in Western stuff. It'll probably cycle back around at some point in the future.

Sagely

I love an ambient soundtrack, but there's plenty of melodic stuff out there too. The first thing that springs to mind is Bully (one of my all-time favourite game OSTs) but as others have said there's some great material to be found in indie games. I enjoy the soundtrack to Towerfall Ascension more than I enjoy the game itself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTIbBpxHHCM

Super gamey.

Battlechili

Banned
Perhaps Western developers are less willing to take risks or different countries developed different musical styles and now its hard to break form.
Western indie games still have plenty of great melodic music though. Just look at Freedom Planet or Skullgirls. Great stuff.

The topic is backwards. Western games have both ambient music (generally in AAA titles) and melodic music (generally in indie titles). Japanese games on the other hand very rarely use ambient music. Thread should be about the lack of ambient music in Japanese games, not the so-called lack of melodic music in Western games.

K.Sabot

Halo is right there in the OP, look harder. ;)

Ratchet is definitely a good example of a melodic western franchise. I feel as if WoW, Civ, Elder Scrolls, Splinter Cell, and most of the rest of those tend to fall more in the ambient category. Again, I reiterate that ambient does not = bad.

There is one exception to the Splinter Cell osts and that is Chaos Theory(one of the greatest OSTs of all time) but if you played that game perfectly you'd barely ever hear it.

Game4life

Banned
I prefer Western Music to the music found in Japanese Games.

The topic is backwards. Western games have both ambient music (generally in AAA titles) and melodic music (generally in indie titles). Japanese games on the other hand very rarely use ambient music. Thread should be about the lack of ambient music in Japanese games, not the so-called lack of melodic music in Western games.

Also this.

CaptNink

Totally agree with this.

SolVanderlyn

Yeah, I guess this is true. I tend to avoid indie games, for the most part, so this topic has been a welcome surprise.

I do still stand by my statement that I wish melodic music was more prevalent, however.

I feel like naming western indie games harkening back to 8/16-bit eras is dodging the question.
This too.

BouncyFrag

Soundtrack threads are odd on GAF as they are often built on an incorrect premise. Western games are chock-full of melodic music.

BocoDragon

I feel like naming western indie games harkening back to 8/16-bit eras is dodging the question.

DMiz

Something else along this line of thinking that has always got me wondering is why there never seems to be as much music in Western games compared to Japanese games. Quantity, specifically, as opposed to quality.

I mean, the argument that it's more about quality over quantity is certainly valid; but considering how every Final Fantasy has had 4 CD's worth of music since FFVIII compared to the one disc that all of Skyrim's soundtrack fits on, it just seems strange.

I get the sense that this is a thinly veiled stab at western video game music. I'm at a loss at how stuff like Pilotwings 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Kameo, Age of Empires 3 and Castlevania LoS are not considered "melodic" in your book.

SolVanderlyn

I get the sense that this is a thinly veiled stab at western video game music. I'm at a loss at how stuff like Pilotwings 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Kameo, Age of Empires 3 and Castlevania LoS are not considered "melodic" in your book.
Not at all, and I love ambient music, too. I listen to the LoS soundtrack on a regular basis, along with Skyrim, World of Warcraft, and other more ambient OSTs. Shadow of the Colossus is also a Japanese game that has great music that tends to lean towards the ambient. The question is more about the prevalence of melodic music in Japanese games, its comparative rarity in (non-indie) western games.

BocoDragon

Yet most of the examples of japanese games used in OP are fairly old.
That's a good point.

But I think there is an argument to be made that Japan kept the model of prominent, melodic game music in the more recent 3D eras - and not in retro throwback games. While western music is generally more like film score, unless we're talking especially about retro-inspired indie games.

There's probably a point to be made about Japanese games being like interactive anime, and Western games being like interactive Hollywood.

Top Bottom