• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you unashamedly want more devs to copy

emb

Super Smash Bros. is heavily undercopied. Its king-of-the-hill-fighting setup is unique enough to be an entire genre. 64 vs Melee vs 4 are more unique among each other than most traditional fighting games are between different series. There's room for multiple Smash-style games, and I want to see more.

The only game to try with decent scale/funding was Playstation All Stars. And that fell into the trap of trying to be something entirely too different. The TMNT Smash game was terrible (and not very similar). Air Dash Online missed its Kickstart goals by a lot and died hard.

I've heard good things about the two Jump All Stars DS games, but they never made it to NA. There's Project M of course. Super Smash Flash 2 is a pretty competent attempt to mimic Smash's ideas within a Flash game. Rivals of Aether is shaping up pretty well, and it could be cool.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Souls series - I know they won't all be as good as the Souls games, but there's plenty of room to experiment with the formula.

God of War - People will say GOW had its fair share of clones, but IMO none of them are even close to as good. I would like a character action game with a nice balance of story, puzzles, traversal, and combat, with great production values. Add to that the novelty that would come with a new game world and characters, and you've got me. Bonus: Naughty Dog level story and writing. GOW1 had very good storytelling and acting relative to other action games in 2005, but by the time GOW3 rolled out, they had been surpassed, and they need to step it up.

Resident Evil 4 - Dead Space was a refreshing evolution of the RE4 formula, and I think there's plenty of room for deliberately paced 3rd person shooter action/horror games. Even if the length and ingenuity of RE4 is unlikely to be matched, I'd still be very happy with a solid-feeling, no-filler, game that was only 2/3s the length.

Super Metroid or Symphony of the Night - I know metroidvanias are a dime a dozen in the indie space, but I have yet to play one that has made me feel like either of those two games (or one that embraces ALL of the essential design philosophies of the genre). Maybe that's more about me, maybe I'll never feel that way about a game again, but I want to play as many as possible to find

Bayonetta/DMC/Ninja Gaiden - I don't care which you copy, just make more character action games, you assholes!

Dsyndrome

Shadowgate Remake. I want to see a resurgence of this genre of games (Deja Vu, Uninvited, etc.) like we're seeing with CRPG's. New stories and more developers would rock, hopefully the remake developers sold enough to continue making these kind of games.

Wow, tons of awesome answers in here. I'm totally on board with Tactics Ogre and Mega Man Battle Network. Not just for the gameplay, but for the scope and style of the progression/endgame (there's TONS of secret/out of the way/post credits stuff in TO:TKoL and MMBN3 that was extremely challenging and rewarding).

It's always shocked me how no one has even attempted AI like F.E.A.R. did; it's still widely cited as the best example of AI in an FPS to this day, which really shouldn't be the case considering it came out a decade ago.

EhoaVash

i want every action game to have bayonetta style dodge mechanics ._.
playing ninja gaiden 2 really makes me wish for it

MrBadger

I want someone to copy Rhythm Thief. A layton style mystery with rhythm heaven-like mini games instead of puzzles is something I want more of

RetroMG

Zelda: Four Swords - I love that kind of "Screw your neighbor" action gameplay.

On the same lines, Mario Party/Dokapon Kingdom. I actually really like the video boardgame/minigame collection, but Mario Party has gotten stale and we haven't had a new Dokapon in forever.

TheMink

I would say SSB but Nintendo fans went absolutely bat crap crazy over PS All Stars I don't think I could deal with that again.

So more Dark Souls would be my vote.

I think right now my ideal game I would want would be Destiny + Dark Souls. (Essentially Dark Souls with a convinient party system and raids and raid gear.)

KLQkMnL.jpg

Red Faction: Guerilla

Free form, open world, physics based destruction. Add a little more structure to it, vary the world a little more, push the destruction to current gen levels and it could be amazing and still unique amongst games today. At the moment, the only thing on the horizon that sounds like it's even coming close to this is the new Crackdown.

Came here to post this.

Would love Volition to be working on something along these lines again.

Saints Row just doesn't do it for me.

That Stone Dude

Neo Member
After playing Tomb Raider 2013 I'm waiting for more third person shooters to copy the contextually cover system.

It's great. If there's baddies about you don't have to worry about hitting a button. If you get close to something you can take cover behind Lara does it automatically. Pull the left trigger and she leans out of cover and aims. Move away and she just stops taking cover.

I really dig how it breaks the binary In Cover/Not in Cover setup and makes it much more fluid.

Adaren

I was going to say Bayonetta, but I realized that most other devs would just screw it up.

Maybe an indie dev could copy aspects of it without caving to pressure to make it marketable.

Loona

Windjammers - so simple yet to brilliant that it's just asking for it.

Live-A-Live - I love the concept, and it's ripe for re-use in the age of DLC; you could create endless mini-adventures whose varied protagonists could then be used in a final chapter, not to mention the possibility of extending that final chapter into a grander adventure.

SSBM or even just Smash in general. With all the SF2 and VF clones there are it's weird no one really tried to imitate smash, especially with its crazy sales.

Peltz

Super Smash Bros. is heavily undercopied. Its king-of-the-hill-fighting setup is unique enough to be an entire genre. 64 vs Melee vs 4 are more unique among each other than most traditional fighting games are between different series. There's room for multiple Smash-style games, and I want to see more.

The only game to try with decent scale/funding was Playstation All Stars. And that fell into the trap of trying to be something entirely too different. The TMNT Smash game was terrible (and not very similar). Air Dash Online missed its Kickstart goals by a lot and died hard.

I've heard good things about the two Jump All Stars DS games, but they never made it to NA. There's Project M of course. Super Smash Flash 2 is a pretty competent attempt to mimic Smash's ideas within a Flash game. Rivals of Aether is shaping up pretty well, and it could be cool.

You should check out Towerfall Ascension. It's not a fighting game, but it still feels a bit like Melee in its own way. It's all projectiles and platforming though. But still... it's a great take on Melee's air dodge mechanic.

Sagely

Zelda, without a doubt. I'd take even a middling game that followed this formula, there's so little out there. The mixture of exploration, combat with varied weapons, tool usage and light puzzle solving is just a winner as far as I'm concerned.

And I actually prefer a smaller world to giant open world maps; locking parts off until you get the right tools is a fantastic idea that is highly preferable to a map that requires hours to explore just because it's big.

Pikmin. Want new and diverse strategy games.

Vanquish. I want the pace of playing this in just about every video game about shooting.

Spec Ops: The Line. I want video games to have something to say about what's happening inside them.

Uncharted. Valuable formula to copy, is the outline for an ideal action game. I'm in luck.

Tactics Ogre

There are hardly any SRPG games even released every year. Most are way too easy to be any fun. They also usually have bad stories. Tactics Ogre has branching paths.

I was blown away when I found out "The Knight Of Lodis" was developed by a Japanese company. Such a mature and well-written game in terms of dialogue and overall narrative.

Caronte

The Sims. It blows my mind that a game that sells so much doesn't have a billion clones. I know its expensive but any of the big plublishers could do it.

Cookies and Cream
Project Eden
Trap Gunner
Crimson Tears
Unholy War
Magic Pengel
Dr. Muto
Crazy Taxi
Kya
Jackie Chan Stuntmaster
Brave Fencer Musashi
Gitaroo Man
Portal 2
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
Steambot Chronicles
Journey
Maximo
Romancing Saga
Dark Cloud
Blood will Tell
XCOM
Catherine

All of the above should be copied, updated, amplified for the amazing things they did right, and...

I'd love a version of Souls that deepened the co-op possibilities in new and interesting ways that amplified the mood, lore, connection you feel.

Pokemon, Dragon Quest Monsters and/or Suikoden.

I enjoy games where you can recruit/collect a huge pool of characters and use a few at a time. Do people love Pokemon so much that only Game Freak can use the genre? It becomes a catch-22: people want Pokemon on other platforms but if someone tries a clone they all whine that it's not Pokemon. More power to those devs, I say.

Seanspeed

Banned
yep, space sims reviving is all well and good but motion sickness be damned I want to go back into the mines with VR.
Holy crap, I've somehow never even thought about how a Descent game would be in VR. That would be..........the end of me. haha But in a good way. The feeling of being lost in a disorientating mine as if you were there. The scale of some of the places would be pretty cool, too. I bet the feeling going from a little narrow corridor into some big old space with the reactor and a bunch of enemies would be pretty damn awe inspiring.

I'm not sure it would even be that bad with motion sickness if it was designed as a seated cockpit view and all. But I cant say for sure.

Well now I *really really* want this! Damn you.

On another note, those of y'all clamouring for Souls clones, there looks to be a really good one coming out, but its maybe not exactly what you'd expect - its 2D! But its totally Souls most every other way. Check it out:

Salt & Sanctuary

Gotten some pretty good impressions from those who have played it so far.

Orayn

Xenoblade and Final Fantasy XII. I love the open-world JRPGs.

I want these, but also hybridized with Mass Effect. Full party control, real time with pause, and a fair amount of manual fine-tuning in terms of both positioning and actions. That would be the ultimate East-meets-West combination for me.

DLaicH

I know this has been said already but...

Super Smash Bros

Specifically, I would like to see a Smash clone with some of the iconic characters from indie games. I loved how Super Meat Boy had a lot of playable characters from other indie games, and it made me want a massive crossover game with characters like Meat Boy, Captain Viridian, Commander Video, Tim (from Braid), Quote from Cave Story, etc. I can especially imagine Tim being able to drop that ring that slows down time in its vicinity to help him in battle.

FaintDeftone

Metroid and Zelda.

Love me some Zelda clones. I remember even playing terrible ones and enjoying them to an extent. This is one of them:

256px-Monkey_Hero.jpg

Top Bottom