• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft at 5.6 million subs (was 7.1M, 10M), Diablo 3 has sold 30+M copies

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Last quarter WoW was at 7.1 million subs, and the quarter before that it was 10 million.

Activision said:
Blizzard Entertainment had the largest online player community in its history, with Q2 MAUsB up
50% year-over-year. Though World of Warcraft® ended the quarter at 5.6 million subscribersC,
Blizzard revenues are up year-over-year based on strong performance across the expanding
Blizzard portfolio.

On April 23, 2015, Sanctuary’s gates were thrown open to all Chinese heroes, as Blizzard
Entertainmentʹs award‐winning action role‐playing game Diablo® III: Reaper of Souls™ went
live in China. Diablo III has now sold-through over 30 million units life-to-date globally.

Blizzard Entertainment’s Hearthstone®: Heroes of Warcraft™ and Heroes of the Storm™, and
Activision Publishing’s Destiny combined now have more than 70 million registered players and
over $1.25 billion in non-GAAP revenues life-to-date.
Source: http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...993F1/Q2_2015_ATVI_Earnings_Press_Release.pdf

RPGCrazied

Yikes, thats a stiff drop from the other drops, this better be a freaking epic expansion to get those people back.

clo1_2000

Banned
As for them hemorrhaging subs:

200_s.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Reaper of Souls has been such a turnaround for D3, hopefully they have another expansion in the pipeline, I'd be all over it.

orochi91

Diablo 3 is a really good game; Ultimate Evil Edition on the PS4 is stellar.

Patch 2.3 is gonna make it even better!

Adaren

doooom

I hope that this (and last quarter) is the wake-up call they need to give it their all on the next expansion.

I think if a lot of people have moved on, an expansion of any quality isn't what will bring them back.

Maybe this is true now, but it wasn't true at the launch of WoD. People came back for the good leveling experience and left when it turned out the expansion was largely terrible.

It isn't just a case of natural expansion fatigue; the player base is dissatisfied with recent content, and rightly so.

border

I wonder how long it will be before the game goes Buy 2 Play? At this point they almost ought to be looking at a Destiny-type monetization strategy, rather than a monthly subscription.

LogN

Warlords started with a bang and became a quick whisper.

I dint think I'll even be back for the next expansion, they've run out of steam with WoW.

Recall

WoW was at 10 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS IN NOVEMBER 2014.

Jesus Christ, Blizzard. How do you fuck up so badly? This is the lowest sub count since December 2005.

Is it fucking up or a just a game having run it's course? It is pretty old after all? The context of then and what was available is much different compared to now.

WoW subs lowest since 2005.

It's dropped off to below its Vanilla peak. There are fewer people playing now than when Tier 3 content came out.

Yes yes "Other MMOs would kill for WoW's numbers." But the trend is the same as other MMOs that petered out into irrelevancy or died horrible deaths in short timespans.

That WoD drop is insane, what the hell happened?

Front-loaded content in an expansion that had extremely thin content at the top end of player progression. Two raids and a Garrison are not enough to retain customers who were expecting a return to Wrath-levels of content depth. Add to that WoW's age and the expected caprice of the modern casual gamer market and you've lopped off a lot of what made WoW hit 12 million in the first place.

Neoweee

WoW was at 10 MILLION SUBSCRIBERS IN NOVEMBER 2014.

Jesus Christ, Blizzard. How do you fuck up so badly? This is the lowest sub count since December 2005.

It is still by far the most successful game of its genre and business model. I don't really see that as a fuck up. It's just nearly a decade past the genre's hay day.

How many 11 year old games have 5.5 million players paying a monthly fee to pay the game? How many NEW games have those numbers?

This is still an extraordinarily impressive cash cow.

Kysen

Wow looking at the graph and realizing I haven't played since 2010, damn time has flown by. How the fuck did they lose so many people in such a short time? Don't tell me they still have huge content droughts.

Is it fucking up or a just a game having run it's course? It is pretty old after all? The context of then and what was available is much different compared to now.

Honestly I don't think it's really their fault. The game is just fucking old.

It is still by far the most successful game of its genre and business model. I don't really see that as a fuck up. It's just nearly a decade past the genre's hay day.

It's a fuck up. You don't lose 4.5 million people in two quarters due to the age of the game... You lose them to having them sat in their Garrison for months on end with nothing to do. Blizzard caused this, not the age of the game.

Kacho

WoW has lost what made it magical. I don't know what happened exactly but the game just doesn't hook anymore. Everything feels so souless and bland now. The class changes still suck balls too.

Mitch

Banned
Surprised it dropped that low. Being a long time player myself, WoD really isn't cutting it, and now it really shows. The players have spoken.

Nokterian

Diablo 3 is a really good game; Ultimate Evil Edition on the PS4 is stellar.

Patch 2.3 is gonna make it even better!

Patch 2.3 is going to ruin me another 600+ hours..and i don't mind! fantastic game for sure so happy how it turned out. But seeing those WoW sub numbers dropping hard well Blizzard it is time to step it up and make me exciting again for the new expansion since WoD was good but not mindblowing or anything also i blame the garrisons they ruined the whole game.

Are we finally seeing the end times? I subscribed for the 3 months prior and 3 months post Draenor after a good 2 or 3 year absence.

It really needs some kind of update/sequel if that's even possible.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Warlords is a piece of shit. Make a shit expansion, people aren't going to stick around. Especially when I can go Diablo 3 instead. Next expansion better be something good, not an expansion based on taking stuff away.

Jira

Wow looking at the graph and realizing I haven't played since 2010, damn time has flown by. How the fuck did they lose so many people in such a short time? Don't tell me they still have huge content droughts.

They do. Doesn't help that with the latest xpack they put out 2 patches and said we're done guys. Also doesn't help that only one of those patches would be considered a real content patch.

Top Bottom