• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft at 5.6 million subs (was 7.1M, 10M), Diablo 3 has sold 30+M copies

Rafterman

Banned
F2P is just an eventuallity, tokens were the first concession.

I can't see vanilla ever happening and it would be shit, people have huge nostalgia glasses in this area.

Skill trees aren't coming back. The current talent system is superior in that it actually gives you choice and gameplay shifts.

Didn't Wildstar teach people anything? They don't really want what they claim to want. There isn't really a market for the things they claim would be huge hits. Wildstar was a better game than vanilla WoW and it was/is a fucking disaster.

Basically, please Blizzard give us vanilla servers so people will finally STFU about them. They will play them and get bored, nostalgia will wear off, and the rest of us will finally stop having to hear about how much better vanilla WoW was than anything since.

Oh and when they finally give you vanilla servers have fun storing your mounts, quest items, reagents, and tons of other stuff in your 12 slot bags, and walking everywhere until level 40 and being slow as shit until cap. Also have fun endlessly farming raid mats and keeping a 40 man raid team. Don't forget your 60 minute hearth and your only decent spec per class and no dual spec. Have fun visiting 4 zones to complete a single quest, or having a fraction of the flight points per zone. Bleh, I'll just leave this here, I could sit here all day talking about things that were much worse in vanilla than even today's WoW:

http://hallowedgaming.com/find-out-why-vanilla-wow-sucks/

As for what I want to see in WoW. No fucking garrisons or shipyards. Finally allow cross faction play, factions in this "War" have meant virtually nothing anyway. I want a new class and a new race wouldn't hurt. And probably the least possible, I'd like a way to level my character outside of levels. Some sort of AA or hero level type stuff would make being a max level more than just about the raids.

Even that is probably preferable. The whole "follow the map/compass/hud marker" gameplay in both MMO and single player games drastically alter the dynamic of the gameplay where you essentially just turn off your brain. At least reading an instruction guide requires some abstract thinking and paying attention to your surroundings.

Do people really not know why the quests in WoW were changed?

So many people were using the Add-on Questhelper that Blizzard basically integrated it in to the game, so for people who wanted to use it they no longer had to rely on an addon. For people that wanted to read the quest, they could still do that too.

Like the people that cry for 40man raids to return in their original formats, yeah it was fun if you were one of the 20 useful people that happened to pick a useful class, but sometimes you were the mage just making water and portals non stop, you were the paladin standing out of combat to resurrect people dying in the fight. So much of Vanilla WoW is clouded by rose tinted glasses that if a game released right now in the same state as vanilla WoW was after a year or so, people would hate it.

WoW's decline has been happening steadily for years, no MMO lasts forever, the huge MMO fad has long since passed too, I am amazed it still has over 5 million subs. I loved the game for years but I just can't stomach going back now as much as I would like to still enjoy it I simply can't.

Blizzard will have been aware of the trends and decline for a long time and have planned accordingly.

Rafterman

Banned
How long would it take for a new player to make that amount?

His numbers are exaggerated even for a maxed out garrison, and starting from scratch will take you quite a bit of time. Don't expect that kind of money in less than a month and it will still take multiple garrisons.

Floridian

Ten years and they can't effectively balance pvp yet. I wonder if the majority of those subs that left were on for pve/pvp or both.

labx

Banned
Damn...D3 sold 30 million copies and Blizzard still isn't committed to a second expansion? WTF???

I was wondering the same. Some years ago there was a picture with blizzard plans and it shows a MMO and Diablo III exp 2 between 2016 and 2017 if I'm not wrong.

But, I guess they are focusing on Diablo IV or something and make it multiplatform from the start. Or I'm talking crazy and there will be D IV pc only and 3 years latter consoles of that time will get it with the expansion (ps5 xbx two?)

Top Bottom