• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Two PS4's, One House, One Account.

eznark

Banned
So I just picked up a white PS4 and signed into my account, it immediately logged me out of the old PS4, where I was playing Destiny.

Now, I googled the issue and found some things saying that I should be able to have them both connected, like this Engadget article:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/11/playstation-4-details/

Should you have two PlayStation 4 consoles in your house, you can have both signed in under a single PSN ID at once -- anything beyond that and your access is cut on the box using your guest account.

I can't find a way to enable this and anything I find online has to do with kids whining about not being able to gameshare. I don't want to gameshare, I just want to be able to use both PS4's at the same time.

Wereroku

So I just picked up a white PS4 and signed into my account, it immediately logged me out of the old PS4, where I was playing Destiny.

Now, I googled the issue and found some things saying that I should be able to have them both connected, like this Engadget article:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/11/playstation-4-details/

I can't find a way to enable this and anything I find online has to do with kids whining about not being able to gameshare. I don't want to gameshare, I just want to be able to use both PS4's at the same time.

Make sure one of them is set as the primary console. Then you should be able to log into both at the same time. It sounds like it was trying to use a roaming login on both.

Edit:

I am wrong.

Hmm I found this Playstation support page

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/796

Which details some of the sharing features

Maximum Number of Systems

There is a maximum number of systems that can be activated with one account which differs depending on the content. These limitations do not apply to the PS4 as it employs a different method of content management.

For purchased/downloaded content before November 17, 2011 the number of systems for activation is:
  • For Game Content - Five (5) PS3 and/or portable systems
  • For Video Content - One (1) PS3 and up to Three (3) portable systems

As of November 18, 2011, number of systems for activation is:
  • For Game Content - Two (2) PS3 and/or portable systems
  • For Video Content - One (1) PS3 and up to Three (3) portable systems

If you exceed this amount, you will need to deactivate a system before the new one can be used to download content. You must also have the system with you in order to activate or deactivate it.
Please Note: Sony limits the number of PS3 activations for Video Content to a maximum of 3 times during the most recent 90 day period. If you attempt to activate for the 4th time on the specific device, you will be prohibited from any further registrations (activations) for a period of 90 days from the 1st re-registration event.

But the bolded makes it seem like PS4 has different content management rules

SerTapTap

Sony should really just make primary login the default option when first adding a login to a PS4...assuming this is related to primary console status, it's hardly the first time I've seen people get caught up by this. It does ask if you want to set the PS4 as primary at launch, but maybe a lot of people blaze through/don't properly appreciate what it does.

eznark

Banned
I set the black console as primary, logged in on the white one, and the black one was disconnected,

KennyKen

I don't think you can be signed into the same account on two different consoles at the same time. If you account is on both consoles other accounts on each console should be able to access your games. At least other accounts on the primary console can.

Wereroku

I set the black console as primary, logged in on the white one, and the black one was disconnected,

Wow I think I am really wrong. From what I see you can't be the same login at the same time. What you can do to work around this is set one ps4 as the primary which lets you share your ps+ benefits with any account on that primary system. So you need a second account but you only need one plus account to get full online access.

Edit:

As Kenny said I think they can use your downloaded digital games as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think that is the correct behavior. You cannot be logged into more than one console at the same time.

Mind you, the "home" console can still play the games downloaded to it without being online, but the "guest" console needs to be actively logged in to play. This is the "sharing" portion of games and PS+ benefits.

But two consoles cannot be logged in on the same account at the same time. You cannot play Destiny on both at the same time with the same account. You can however set up a different account for each.

fernoca

From what I remember, you can't be signed in at the same time on two diffrent PS4s. You can have the same account on two and share content.

The one set as primary so that you can have someone else with a separate account use your content, and the secondary unit so that you can be signed in on your account and play all your content with the person using your primary console's content.

What fernoca said is correct. I've done this for co-op with my roommate before.

As well, I knew about not being able to sign into multiple PS4s at once, but what about other systems? Can I be logged into a PS4 and Vita at the same time? What about PS4 and PS3?

fernoca

I knew about not bwing able to aign into multiple ps4s at once, but what about other systems? Can I be logged into a PS4 and Vita at the same time? What about PS4 and PS3?
Yeah. Across PS4, Vita, PS3 and PSP you can be signed it at the same time. Heck, I once tried UMvC3, Street Fighter vs Tekken and PS All-Stars online between Vita and PS3..with my same acount, on my same room. Was just experimenting something. :p

Timmay

Banned
Can't be logged into the same account on two PS4s. 1 PS3 and 1 PS4? Yes. To access your games, on your primary console you need to log into that console with a secondary ID. Because it's your primary console, that second account will have access to all your games and PS+ rights offline and online. On the second console, you need to be online and logged in as your main ID to access your games and PS+ rights.

eznark

Banned
Thanks guys. So if I set up an account for my kids on the "primary" console they will be able to use any PS+ feature as well as any games installed on the console?

Timmay

Banned
Thanks guys. So if I set up an account for my kids on the "primary" console they will be able to use any PS+ feature as well as any games installed on the console?

Yes. The rights management changed from PS3 to PS4 to resemble the 360 method with the added benefit of also sharing PS+ rights.

I have 2 at the moment. A third is on the way because Destiny.

I cannot be signed in to both at the same time with my main account. I've had a PS3 and a PS4 going at the same time and did not have an issue..

Ramza

Banned
It makes sense that you couldn't sign into both at the same time, actually, on the same type of console. Can't you just make a separate PSN ID if you want them both signed in at once?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How does it handle online saves? I have my white one I the living room set to primary so anyone can play, and my launch one will go in the playroom (I deactivated it so I can only play digital games when signed in). Will both consoles automatically upload save games after I finished playing, or do I have to manage them manually? I'll likely be flipping between the fairly regularly

Yeah you can't use the same account in two places at the same time.

You can however download the games etc. from your main account to both consoles and just play them with any other account on that other console at the same time.

plainr_

Off topic but imagine if you could sign in with the same account on two consoles and then running into yourself with matchmaking.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Off topic but imagine if you could sign in with the same account on two consoles and then running into yourself with matchmaking.

No, that is exactly on topic, and why it's not allowed.

As to Klaw's question, the saves get synced automatically to the cloud on your Home machine, but not on the "guest" machine is the way it was explained to me. So when you go to the guest machine and play, you have to manually sync your save to the cloud before logging out.

Are there any ps4 games that don't allow game share or whatever it would be called? Ex: I get the digital version of Destiny, load it on both ps4s, have a roommate play on my primary console with their account and login to the second on mine.

CREMSteve

You can't be logged into one account on two PS4s. You can however, be logged into the same account on PS4, Vita, PS3 all at the same time. On the PS4, each account is tied to a controller, this is how it distinguishes who is playing.

Create two accounts, but have both on the new system. This way, when you sign in on account #2, all games and content from account #1 will be playable.

sestrugen

Sorry for bumping this thread, at the moment I have a white PS4, we have two accounts on the system, mine (PS+) and my sister's (non PS+). She is able to play my games on the console with no problems and play online. If I were to acquire a second PS4 and use my account with the new PS4, would she still be able to use the white PS4 to play those games and go online or is a second PS+ subscription needed?

Ramza

Banned
Sorry for bumping this thread, at the moment I have a white PS4, we have two accounts on the system, mine (PS+) and my sister's (non PS+). She is able to play my games on the console with no problems and play online. If I were to acquire a second PS4 and use my account with the new PS4, would she still be able to use the white PS4 to play those games and go online or is a second PS+ subscription needed?

I believe by having the console your sister would play on as your Primary PS4, every account on that would share the PS+. I believe....

Audioboxer

I read this title in a deep dramatic American presenter voice as if it's a fight to the death.

Two PS4's, One House, One Account. Which PS4 will rule?

sestrugen

I believe by having the console your sister would play on as your Primary PS4, every account on that would share the PS+. I believe....

Thanks for the answer, I just don't want to pay for a second PS+ subscription if I can avoid it.

2real4tv

Hopefully someone can answer. I got two ps4's one for me and the other for my son. The only way for us to play Destiny together would be to buy two separate copies plus dlc?

Derpyduck

Banned
One copy of Destiny is all you need in that situation as long as it's digital. Your son would play on the primary console using his own gamer tag, and you'd play on the non primary console connected to the Internet to verify licenses logged in on the account that bought the digital game.

Can anyone tell me how well playing the same game (at different times) works with two ps4s on the same account?

Just wondering if it's better as of July 2016?
Being able to easily transfer saves back and forth is important to me.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Can anyone tell me how well playing the same game (at different times) works with two ps4s on the same account?

Just wondering if it's better as of July 2016?
Being able to easily transfer saves back and forth is important to me.

If you have Plus, it auto-syncs the saves overnight (if enabled). Or you can manually do it anytime.

I am getting a new PS4 pro and my daughter is going to use our old PS4. She uses my profile to play fortnite and Minecraft. Question is do I need to get a new user id/account for the new PS4. She doesn't want to lose all her Minecraft/ fortnite progress and I don't want to lose my Apex progress lol. What do youll suggest?

Aion002

I am getting a new PS4 pro and my daughter is going to use our old PS4. She uses my profile to play fortnite and Minecraft. Question is do I need to get a new user id/account for the new PS4. She doesn't want to lose all her Minecraft/ fortnite progress and I don't want to lose my Apex progress lol. What do youll suggest?

Set your new console as primary so you can use your games offline, the other console can go online on the account and play the games.

The problem is: the same account cannot be online on two consoles at the same time.

So you can create a new account for one of the consoles, so both can be online at the same time or... If one console is online, the other will have to play offline.

No other way around.

Important note: the primary console can access all the content (games/dlc) of the account on other accounts.

Saves and progress are not transferable between accounts.

Last edited:

trikster40

I have
Set your new console as primary so you can use your games offline, the other console can go online on the account and play the games.

The problem is: the same account cannot be online on two consoles at the same time.

So you can create a new account for one of the consoles, so both can be online at the same time or... If one console is online, the other will have to play offline.

No other way around.

Important note: the primary console can access all the content (games/dlc) of the account on other accounts.

Saves and progress are not transferable between accounts.

I have two PS4 Pros in my house, and Aion nails it on the head. You can’t be logged into both at the same time, and the one not designated as your primary HAS to be online to have access to your digital purchases.

If you have a significant other that wants to play while you’re online as well (especially maybe coop with you on a digital purchase), make sure they use your primary PS4 and you login under your ID on your secondary. All users have access to your games in your primary, but only you have access to your games on your secondary.

Also, Make sure to have it setup where you don’t automatically login when you start your system unless you’re the only one in the house playing. If you have it set to auto login, you’ll boot someone else who’s playing on the other PS4 if they are playing on your lo

I always hated it when my nephews would come over, I’d be in the middle of a game, and they’d boot me out because I had auto login on.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Still catching up, but I'd assume it to be DRM measures to safeguard against piracy. (Hence why games can only be used by multiples on "primary".)

As for the single login, may be safety-measure against account theft. That way if someone elsewhere around the world logs into your account you should know it instantly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom