• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Hillary Clinton Took Me Through Hell,’ Rape Victim Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeMaxX

Yeah, I'm sure everyone in here who's defending Clinton would also be defending Mitt Romney if he had done the same thing. Yes, certainly.

What false equivalence?
Lol what? Your avatar might need new glasses if you think people are only defending Clinton because she's a Democrat. She's a lawyer who did her job; what's the big deal?

EDIT: And let me clarify; I have sympathy for the victim, but it was the criminal's actions that are deplorable. He shouldn't have done what he did and the prosecutor should've made sure all the evidence was on the table.

Derwind

Yeah, I'm sure everyone in here who's defending Clinton would also be defending Mitt Romney if he had done the same thing. Yes, certainly.

So as a defence attorney you absolutely cannot defend your client if in 30 years you become a politician?

Btw, I'd say the same thing if it was Mitt Romney but as political dirt goes, doing his job would be pretty tame stuff dont you think?

hwateber

This is why I hate lawyers.

People justify every thing they do as them just doing their job and cite ethics as further justification for their callous actions. If soldiers following orders can be held accountable for war crimes than so can any amoral shitbag in a suit willing to sell their soul to make a buck off the back of victims.

The fact that someone is supposed to do something because its their job is not an excuse for vile behaviour or actions.

If this story is true, Clinton knowingly helped a child rapist get off easy and was even proud of herself for doing it.

There's nothing anyone can say that makes that acceptable or okay. It's not acceptable and it's not okay.
This is so ignorant, I can't even. Yeah I sympathize with the victim but if you had things your way what's the point of even having a trial in many cases? The point of the justice system is to give the accused the fair chance to defend themselves. Making the defense attorney a criminal for defending a criminal is ass backwards

How sure are you? Because you are making a very generalized statement based on your ill-founded assumptions.

I wasn't making a generalized statement. When I said "I'm sure everyone in this thread who's defending Clinton would also defend Romney" I was being sarcastic. My point was that some of the people who are defending Clinton wouldn't defend Romney. If you think her being a prominent democrat has nothing to do with her being so vigorously defended on GAF, you're living in a fantasy world.

Lol what? Your avatar might need new glasses if you think people are only defending Clinton because she's a Democrat. She's a lawyer who did her job; what's the big deal?

EDIT: And let me clarify; I have sympathy for the victim, but it was the criminal's actions that are deplorable. He shouldn't have done what he did and the prosecutor should've made sure all the evidence was on the table.

So as a defence attorney you absolutely cannot defend your client if in 30 years you become a politician?

Btw, I'd say the same thing if it was Mitt Romney but as political dirt goes, doing his job would be pretty tame stuff dont you think?

I don't buy the "just doing her job" defense. And she certainly didn't need to joke about it after (assuming that part is true).

This is why I hate lawyers.

People justify every thing they do as them just doing their job and cite ethics as further justification for their callous actions. If soldiers following orders can be held accountable for war crimes than so can any amoral shitbag in a suit willing to sell their soul to make a buck off the back of victims.

The fact that someone is supposed to do something because its their job is not an excuse for vile behaviour or actions.

If this story is true, Clinton knowingly helped a child rapist get off easy and was even proud of herself for doing it.

There's nothing anyone can say that makes that acceptable or okay. It's not acceptable and it's not okay.
How old are you, exactly?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Honestly I have no particular allegiance to Hillary Clinton and I find the American trend towards family based aristocracies disturbing to say the least given the principles this country was founded upon. However the rule of law in this and most countries is based on precisely this kind of advocacy. Imbalanced and disgusting as the results often are it is absolutely necessary to this country's morality. And so Clinton with her zealous advocacy for her client is absolutely moral and absolutely righteous in her behavior and actions.

So while I hope that the Democrats come up with another unexpectedly young and perhaps better candidate than Obama, it's pretty safe bet to say that she with all her flaws and faults is going to be better than the shit show presented by the Republicans.

And I hope it's a woman.

But this is exactly what we have. The prosecution is immensely interested in convicting criminals, and defense attorneys are immensely interested in preventing that (or reducing the consequences of a conviction).

No the American Prison system heavily tips in favor of getting ppl into prisons, especially private for-profit ones.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1008603/pg11#pid17831916

States pay a fine if they cannot fill beds. When a state gives in to privatization of a prison system to a corporation, that the fine print in the contract DEMANDS that a percentage of beds have to be filled OR the STATE pays a penalty!

Derwind

I don't buy the "just doing her job" defense. And she certainly didn't need to joke about it after (assuming that part is true).

Looking at it for face value, a defense attorney won the case they were hired to take for their client following the consitution.

Everyone has the right to representation.

Her case was unfortunate as it was to defend a man accused of raping a twelve year old girl.

If there's an issue(which there are several) with the current legal system, that is an entirely different conversation.

As jobs go though, to win a case is exactly an attorneys job.

Democrat or Republican.

KingK

I wasn't making a generalized statement. When I said "I'm sure everyone in this thread who's defending Clinton would also defend Romney" I was being sarcastic. My point was that some of the people who are defending Clinton wouldn't defend Romney. If you think her being a prominent democrat has nothing to do with her being so vigorously defended on GAF, you're living in a fantasy world.

I'm pretty sure most of liberal-GAF are not big fans of Clinton...And I also think pretty much anybody here would also defend any Republican in the same scenario for just doing their job as a defense attorney.

Also, what do you mean "you don't buy" the defense that she's just doing her job? Are you disputing the fact that it is in fact the job of a defense attorney to...defend their client? I agree that making light of the situation and joking afterwards is insensitive at best (I find it pretty disgusting), if true, and maybe deserves some criticism. At the same time, it was 40 years ago.

Can't even talk about someone without people generalizing the whole bunch with "you're just okay with what she did because she's a Dem."

She's a corporatist warmongering sellout so no I'm plenty sure a lot of people aren't real happy to be defending her one iota.

Keri

I agree that making light of the situation and joking afterwards is insensitive at best (I find it pretty disgusting),if true, and maybe deserves some criticism.

You know, the audio was posted on the first page...

Boem

I wonder what that tape coming out will mean for her chances of becoming president. Probably not much, given some past presidents. The next couple of days will be interesting for the media though.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
No the American Prison system heavily tips in favor of getting ppl into prisons, especially private for-profit ones.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1008603/pg11#pid17831916

States pay a fine if they cannot fill beds. When a state gives in to privatization of a prison system to a corporation, that the fine print in the contract DEMANDS that a percentage of beds have to be filled OR the STATE pays a penalty!

So much the better for Sundown's world, then!

But I'm not persuaded the quotas have the effect you seem to believe they have. If there's no difference in the cost to the state between a full private prison and an empty private prison (after penalties), then it would still make financial sense for the state to leave the private prison empty rather than shell out even more money to needlessly prosecute someone and send them to the private prison.

EDIT: In fact, having a quota in place removes the incentive from the prison operator to have laws that result in higher prison occupancy--they get paid one way or the other, but with "the other" way, they don't have the expenses of housing as many prisoners. But under an approach without quotas, while it's still to the state's financial advantage to have as few prisoners as possible, the prison operator has an incentive to have as many prisoners as possible--which means they may lobby for more strict criminal laws or lengthier minimum sentences.

SmokeMaxX

I wonder what that tape coming out will mean for her chances of becoming president. Probably not much, given some past presidents. The next couple of days will be interesting for the media though.
Lol. Realistically? Hillary Clinton could probably kill someone and still have a great shot at becoming President. I'm dead serious.

Volimar

Can't even talk about someone without people generalizing the whole bunch with "you're just okay with what she did because she's a Dem."

She's a corporatist warmongering sellout so no I'm plenty sure a lot of people aren't real happy to be defending her one iota.

I want to monger something some day.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So much the better for Sundown's world, then!

But I'm not persuaded the quotas have the effect you seem to believe they have. If there's no difference in the cost to the state between a full private prison and an empty private prison (after penalties), then it would still make financial sense for the state to leave the private prison empty rather than shell out even more money to needlessly prosecute someone and send them to the private prison.

EDIT: In fact, having a quota in place removes the incentive from the prison operator to have laws that result in higher prison occupancy--they get paid one way or the other, but with "the other" way, they don't have the expenses of housing as many prisoners. But under an approach without quotas, while it's still to the state's financial advantage to have as few prisoners as possible, the prison operator has an incentive to have as many prisoners as possible--which means they may lobby for more strict criminal laws or lengthier minimum sentences.

Keep in mind there's also been instances of for-profit prison owners bribing judges to give people longer/harsher sentences just to fill the prisons and make more money. That's why for-profit prisons are bad, at their very core they lead to a corruption of our justice system.

i don't really care about Hillary Clinton but I'm confident that any person who is a trial lawyer for any significant period of time will have some fucked cases behind them. I couldn't be a trial lawyer, but that's the way the system works and it works that way for a reason. Sometimes you end up defending someone who is guilty. I'd have to hear the tapes to decide how douchey she was about it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, actually. They are obligated to vigorously defend their guilty clients even if they know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are guilty, if that is the strategy their clients insist upon. This is one of the central pillars of our entire system of justice.

Yeah, but defending them to a plea bargain? Seems kinda... low.

In all honesty, if the crime-lab fucked up: She's completely in the clear to say they had no evidence/case to prove it. The crime-lab can say "Yes, it's a slam-dunk case against him" to the prosecutor, but if the evidence/samples aren't there to show it, the jury can't see it/prosecution can't make a case with it.

Really, the crime-lab fucked up the justice than Hillary did. Though Hillary's "crime" in this is being so cavalier about the entire thing. "Oh, yeah. He was guilty but (laughs) what can you do if you don't have the evidence! (laughs)"

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah, but defending them to a plea bargain? Seems kinda... low.

In all honesty, if the crime-lab fucked up: She's completely in the clear to say they had no evidence/case to prove it. The crime-lab can say "Yes, it's a slam-dunk case against him" to the prosecutor, but if the evidence/samples aren't there to show it, the jury can't see it/prosecution can't make a case with it.

Really, the crime-lab fucked up the justice than Hillary did. Though Hillary's "crime" in this is being so cavalier about the entire thing. "Oh, yeah. He was guilty but (laughs) what can you do if you don't have the evidence! (laughs)"

Spaking of evidence, what's your evidence for the last paragraph?

Amalthea

Banned
Sometimes I wonder why people seem to make the connection between power hunger and caring for other people. I mean the people always are like "OMG, He/She always acted completely for her/his own ends and cold-bloodedly backstabbed even friends to climb their ladder to power. I bet this person will make our peoples life so much better if we vote/let him/her to become Dear Surpreme President God Emperor of Corruptistan because they wouldn't want to claim this position for purely egomanical reasons, wouldn't they?

The fact that this came out on a Friday tells me the Republicans don't think it'll hold much water.

It'll get a little buzz this weekend and early next week, partisans will say partisan things, and that'll be it. Then Republicans will add this to the list of things that THE LIBERAL MEDIA doesn't want you to know about.

Wynnebeck

Banned

It's going to have the exact opposite effect. You already have the Democrats chomping at the bit to have Hilary run for 2016. Throw in the sympathy factor of an oppressive Republican party trying to smear the good name of a woman who was wife to a president who got impeached for cheating on her? My God, the ratings for Clinton will reach the stratosphere.

Volimar

Damn, some callous responses in here.

Goes to show that being scummy is part of the job for lawyers. :/

It must really suck, starting out as a young idealist, and then little by little watching your personal do not cross line moving a bit further away case by case.

Ponn

Banned
The irony of Americans is that what they really want is a French style inquisitorial legal system.

Americans want whatever suits their needs best at any given time.

When you are on a forum its quite easy to stick to your moral lines. If something happens and you find yourself in court on serious charges I highly doubt anyone is going to tell their lawyer 'Please don't cross any moral or ethical lines you may have just for me"

Valhelm

contribute something
I doubt we will ever get closure on this issue. If Clinton did make those remarks, I doubt her campaign will ever allow tapes to be leaked. If she didn't, then I doubt her campaign will acknowledge this criticism.

I'm anything but an expert, but I doubt that kind of bragging is rare among attorneys. Besides, it's most likely that the defendant(s?) never admitted to anything, but Clinton believed they were guilty.

fallagin

I do understand the outcry at her allegedly making light of a rape case, but I don't believe that she was laughing at the rape victim. She may have simply been proud of her own prowess in the court. It's not something commendable, but I don't think that you can(reasonably) rake her over the coals for being proud of doing her job.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Gosh even playing Phoenix Wright 1 would fix up a lot of the naïveté in this thread.

Phoenix_Head_Shake.gif

Odrion

Banned
I'm not going to say that I disagree with you 100% with the heart of this reasoning, but since nobody would realistically say "Yup, you totally called me out on my double standards!" this is a pointless argument to try and have with anyone.

Almighty

Well I am no legal expert, but from what I can tell it sounds like the victim is blaming the wrong person here. Based on what Clinton said in that tape it sounds like it was the prosecutors who got the guy off on a light sentence by fucking up their major piece of evidence(the underwear). The rest of it just sounds like a defense attorney trying to do her job.

i dont know its an defenders job to be partial and to try to get the best deal for the prosecuted, even if he is guilty. i dont like how it was done by her (by discrediting a small girl) but its the prosecutors job then to discredit the defender.

Herne

So we're taking it as read that she's going to make another run for the White House? I'm not so sure about that.

BouncyFrag

Person who has reached the upper echelon of politics is most likely a pretty scummy person?

I am shocked.
I recently stopped following politics (as well as most of the news in general) after years of close attention. One of the bet decisions I've ever made.

Siyou

I don't really have an opinion on whether what she did was right or wrong or anything like that.

I just think its really weird she uses the phrase, "Miscarriage of justice" while laughing.

This. I searched pages just to see if anyone was going to mention it... heh

I am going to assume that a lot of people here don't have much experience in the legal industry.

While i do believe she was inappropriate, you got to understand, especially as a court appointed defense attorney, you see some fucked up shit.

You don't get emotionally invested. You stay disconnected and you do your job. It's personally the only way i would be able to do criminal defense work and it's exactly how many see it also. So while i do think her tone is a bit inappropriate, it really business.

I've seen some fucked up shit working in a torts firm for the last 7 years and sometimes you say some inappropriate shit. It just comes with the industry.

Just my two cents.

Honestly I have no particular allegiance to Hillary Clinton and I find the American trend towards family based aristocracies disturbing to say the least given the principles this country was founded upon. However the rule of law in this and most countries is based on precisely this kind of advocacy. Imbalanced and disgusting as the results often are it is absolutely necessary to this country's morality. And so Clinton with her zealous advocacy for her client is absolutely moral and absolutely righteous in her behavior and actions.

So while I hope that the Democrats come up with another unexpectedly young and perhaps better candidate than Obama, it's pretty safe bet to say that she with all her flaws and faults is going to be better than the shit show presented by the Republicans.

And I hope it's a woman.

Elizabeth Warren.

Seeds

Yeah. The ''just doing their job'' defense isn't working as well in the telemarketers thread, and all they do is annoy people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom