• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘One Piece’ To Be Developed As Live Action TV Series By Tomorrow Studios

Link.

Marty Adelstein and his Tomorrow Studios has partnered with Shueisha on the series adaptation of Japanese comic series One Piece, the best-selling manga series in history.

The live action adaptation will be executive produced by One Piece publisher Shueisha and author Eiichiro Oda, alongside Adelstein (Good Behavior, Prison Break) and Becky Clements (Good Behavior, Snowpiercer) through Tomorrow Studios.

One Piece follows the adventures of Monkey D. Luffy and his pirate crew as they explore a fantastical world of endless oceans and exotic islands in search of the world’s ultimate treasure known as “One Piece” to become the next Pirate King.

In 1997, Oda’s wildly popular story was first serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine in Japan. Over 416 million copies have been published worldwide. The series also made history in 2015 obtaining the Guinness World Record title for having the most copies published for the same comic book series by a single author.

“I’ve been a fan of One Piece for 20 years. I am so honored that Shueisha and Oda-san have entrusted me with such a cherished iconic property,” said Adelstein. “I will do everything in my power to make the One Piece TV series an absolute success. While I expect this to be one of the most expensive shows ever done in television, the worldwide interest is tremendous and will be well worth the financial commitment.”

Hiroyuki Nakano, Editor-In-Chief of Weekly Shonen Jump at Shuiesha, added, “It is a great honor for Shueisha to collaborate with Tomorrow Studios on the One Piece live-action TV series. Marty understands the original comics and has the same vision as us for the live-action adaptation. We trust that he and his team at Tomorrow Studios will be able to produce a TV series reflecting Eiichiro Oda’s vision.”

“I received numerous offers for live action adaptations for One Piece. Three years ago, I finally decided to take a step forward on a live-action adaptation,” said Oda.

“After twists and turns, I met the right partner. It is a great coincidence yet pleasure that I’m able to announce the live action adaptation today on the 20th anniversary of One Piece. The first condition I presented is that ‘the live-action will be faithful to the fans who have supported One Piece for 20 years.’ I expect to hear worries from fans but more than that, I’m looking forward to hearing the excitement. Stay tuned for more news on the project!”

kewlmyc

Surprised you missed the 800 post thread we had on this.

Anyway, like I said in there, there's a very high chance this won't make it off the ground like 90% of the anime adaptations announced. WB's Naruto, Bleach, and AoT, Ron Howard's Tiger and Bunny, SAO TV show, Cowboy Bebop anything, etc.

Love it, hope it's absolutely terrible and something I can constantly laugh at whilst watching. It should be fascinating, do we know when this should be airing?

ckohler

Like everyone, I'm seriously hesitant.

However, on the ToonamiGAF podcast I said that this is likely to fail from the start unless Adelstein is a closeted, massive One Piece fan. Judging by this, it sounds like he might be.

So... I guess that lessens my concern somewhat.

Like everyone, I'm seriously hesitant.

However, on the ToonamiGAF podcast I said that this is likely to fail from the start unless Adelstein is a closeted, massive One Piece fan. Judging by this, it sounds like he might be.

So... I guess that lessens my concern somewhat.
But every time an anime adaption happens, you hear the person in charge boast that they're a huge fan.

ckohler

But every time an anime adaption happens, you hear the person in charge boast that they're a huge fan.

This is a little different because this isn't just some US company acquiring the creative rights and handing it off to a director to create. This is Oda himself reaching across the pond and personally selecting the director. That last sentence is Oda himself saying, "yeah, I hear you fans... this sounds like a bad idea but I think this guy can do it."

Jashobeam

By the sounds of it, they are willing to spend money to make it a worthy adaption so no worries there considering how epic shows like Game of Thrones can be with proper budget. Oda being an executive producer gives me tons of hope so I wouldn't immediately write it off.

MonstroMash

Neo Member
Missed the last thread on this but I think this can be okay if it just runs with the core premise of pirates, rare magic fruit, legendary treasure (is that most of it?) in a realist-fantasy sense. Effects on Luffy will prob be goofy no matter what but eh, some of the other powers could look pretty cool in live-action if done right.

Depends on the tone I guess, not really expecting much.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
By the sounds of it, they are willing to spend money to make it a worthy adaption so no worries there considering how epic shows like Game of Thrones can be with proper budget. Oda being an executive producer gives me tons of hope so I wouldn't immediately write it off.

The issue being that bring the characters of One Piece to life in any sort of believable or decent looking manner is going to require a shit ton of work and a huge budget. Imagine if everyone was comparable to a dragon from Game of Thrones in terms of the amount of effort it would require to realize them in live action. That's how daunting this task would be.

Akira Toriyama was an executive producer on Dragonball Evolution.

Kusagari

I just don't see how they'll get the budget to do this.

It would need a far bigger budget than even Game of Thrones.

Why would anyone back this?

Ferr986

Maybe they will scale back the powers and be more of a grounded fun adventure with more normal pirates.

I think it's going to be pretty far away from OP manga story.

ExVicis

You know what? It's happening and no amount of me posting "I can't see how this can be good" willchange that. So instead of me saying the same thing that everyone else in this thread is going to say I'll watch whatever they turn out and hope it's good/not a lazy attempt to get some money. So I'll just sit here and try to think of how I would cast this and how I would make this is for some reason I was the one handed this task to make a live-action One Piece.

No idea how you can cast Luffy though. Guy's basically just the epitome of the shonen character. Basically Goku without all the asshole negligence to his family and friends.

deleted

I guess this could only work if they move far away from the visuals of the Manga.

Set it apart and just use the broad strokes for characterization. Might work then, but probably won't without a massive budget.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is going to cost them Avengers money every season and that just special effects. Just do an animated CG series, like Toy Story or something.

ExVicis

I think it's mostly the characters, for me.
It's long enough in the past that I can't really recall, I just remember not enjoying anything that happened and hating every new face.
I think from a lot of discussion I've had with people, the Dressrosa Arc seems to be hated because it introduces a ton of new characters and a lot of people seem to dislike the characters introduced.

Personally I like a lot of the characters introduced and the Donquixote Pirate Admins are all interesting characters to me.

I think from a lot of discussion I've had with people, the Dressrosa Arc seems to be hated because it introduces a ton of new characters and a lot of people seem to dislike the characters introduced.

Personally I like a lot of the characters introduced and the Donquixote Pirate Admins are all interesting characters to me.

Wasn't that the arc with the toddler man?
I think he was the final straw, or closer to it.

aBarreras

Mind spoiling it?

he was a member of the donquixote family, when he finds and fall in love with a girl, he marries her and decides not to tell her he is a pirate, so he says that he is a banker, they live happily and have a son, while being on a job for the family his son dies, then the wife finds out he is not a banker and runs away from him, she has a accident that leaves her vegetative, full of regret he visits her but she doesnt respond to anything, one day he uses his son bonnet and the wife smiles a little bit, so little by little he starts using things from his son so she can be apparently happy until well he is always dressed as a toddler.

that is why he rejects all the women too

ExVicis

he was a member of the donquixote family, when he finds and fall in love with a girl, he marries her and decides not to tell her he is a pirate, so he says that he is a banker, they live happily and have a son, while being on a job for the family his son dies, then the wife finds out he is not a banker and runs away from him, she has a accident that leaves her vegetative, full of regret he visits her but she doesnt respond to anything, one day he uses his son bonnet and the wife smiles a little bit, so little by little he starts using things from his son so she can be apparently happy until well he is always dressed as a toddler.

that is why he rejects all the women too

Also
She dies too so he keeps it on more in memory and mourning of his wife.

Honestly I liked all the characters. Hell the fact that they're all a family and for some reason Doflamingo seems to care about all of them is a refreshing change from the villains who just keep betraying their subordinates trust and get rid of them after one or two failures. The fact that Doflamingo keeps trying to get Law to come back was interesting too.

Top Bottom