• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Walking Dead’ – Season 6, Part 1 – Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razmos

I don't get the crazy praise some of you are giving this episode, almost like compensating for those that hate it. It was fine, nothing great, nothing bad. The problem is that it was just a standard man learns a new path episode, which could have been done on any show. A standard drama you can see anywhere. It had no impact on the overall plot, it didn't really address any of the issues that living in a dead world brings.

The show is about what happens when the world goes to shit, what kind of person are you when you get put In impossible situations. The episode with the girls and the flowers, that was one of the best drama episodes ever, that is exactly what I want out of TWD. There are so many better drama episodes in the series than this one.

Nothing surprising happened, we learned absolutely nothing new. Morgan became a non killing bo wielding dude, we knew that. We just learned why and the why wasn't that interesting.
Pretty much exactly my problem with this episode.

-griffy-

Banned
This should have been the episode that aired following the Wolves attacking Alexandria, which itself focused on Morgan grappling with his new peaceful outlook and direct references to this episode. In other words it should have been last week's episode. It would have been picking up the story of Morgan naturally in the context of the last episode, and it wouldn't have been a 90 minute flashback episode immediately following a giant clusterfuck of a cliffhanger/non-cliffhanger/cliffhanger episode.

You can just tell how big AMC were trolling people by putting a 90 minute Morgan only episode after the crazy cliffhangers that surrounded Glenn and to an extent Rick.

Regardless I enjoyed this episode a lot, good to see more of the timeline being filled out.

dustyherb

This makes so much sense.
Yep it all seems to be adding up to that. Comic Spoilers:
Rick doing what the first person he met in the apocalypse would do makes a lot of sense. Especially since we have already seen Morgan break through to him a little bit with the whole burying Pete properly rather then just leaving his body. Plus I don't see them doing Glen dying by Negan since we are dealing with the whole Glen is "dead" thing right now. I do expect tho that the Glen we knew is dead and is hopefully more badass. Especially going into all out war.

And Daryl I just can't honestly believe they would kill of this early when he's so damn popular and is a show only characters. He could have some great character stuff going into All out war and beyond. So that just leaves Morgan in my book. but who knows what happens. They could be trolling us all with this crap lol

I feel like
if Morgan is the one to die then everyone's gonna start saying the whole "ohhh why does walking dead always kill their black characters" thing again

-redacted-

Neo Member
I don't they'll kill Morgan, the bigger payoff would probably be for him to witness that his ways unfortunately cannot work in this world. He and Rick will have to meet somewhere in the middle in order to continue surviving.

Partition

Banned
Not only are they going to attempt to pull off the cheapest most ridiculous fake out death in TV history, they had the nerve to air this pointless 90 min episode which could have aired a week ago or any other time this season. It's like the show is a constant commercial for itself, doing the most to keep you watching, it's unfair to the fans.

I feel like
if Morgan is the one to die then everyone's gonna start saying the whole "ohhh why does walking dead always kill their black characters" thing again

It's not like it isn't true....

jokkir

I don't they'll kill Morgan, the bigger payoff would probably be for him to witness that his ways unfortunately cannot work in this world. He and Rick will have to meet somewhere in the middle in order to continue surviving.

Nah, Morgan will be Tyrese 2.0

BBboy20

Preacher looks way more interesting than Badlands.
WEll, one is something you usually see in the movies, the other is an adaption of what is considered a corner stone of comic books.

this battlefront commercial always came off like backhanded compliment

on some "do you remember when your life didn't go to shit"
It's like the dude was not aware there were two other Battlefronts.

The comments on how he was bit seem silly to me, though. It was pretty apparent he wasn't a technical master. Constantly, they are hitting you over the head to ensure you know that he isn't some martial arts whiz. It's the philosophy that he embraces. Running over to save Morgan's life clearly winded him, and he let slip his guard. Thus, the bite. If you can buy the chance encounter, if you can buy the forensic psychiatrist/practitioner of aikido who longs to make the perfect cheese, then surely you can buy his ultimate demise.
Are you telling me Eastman was incapable of pulling Morgan back by his collar?

Ithil

Wolf was like cool story bro after all that things morgan said to him. If I was morgan I would have gouged both his eyes out with my blunt dragonball stick the moment he laughed at my face after telling the story. That's all I need to see to know the Wolf ain't gonna change.. If anything that Wolf will do some fucked up repugnant shit in the group.

Sounds like you sure are just like Morgan.

dustyherb

I feel like
Comic spoilers:
i mean that's going to happen no matter when a black character goes. At least if Morgan is the one who takes Lucille to the face his death would go down as one of the biggest in the shows run. Plus it would be Negan killing him. And if it takes Negan to end Morgan I would say his character had a pretty damn good run. Especially compared to how lame he went out in the comics.

zeitgeist

Wolf was like cool story bro after all that things morgan said to him. If I was morgan I would have gouged both his eyes out with my blunt dragonball stick the moment he laughed at my face after telling the story. That's all I need to see to know the Wolf ain't gonna change.. If anything that Wolf will do some fucked up repugnant shit in the group.

Honestly, the guy's teeth alone made it valid to take him out.

Flavius

Are you telling me Eastman was incapable of pulling Morgan back by his collar?

They could have handled it any number of ways. Are you telling me the same goofball who uttered "shit" and stood frozen for seconds when he recognized that Morgan was going to go for the fire-poker was incapable of making an equally dumb decision by putting himself between Morgan and the zombie?

It's a really weird thing to get stuck on, given the whole.

Not bad but definitely didn't need 90 minutes for that episode. Felt a bit try-hard and indulgent. Would have been more epic if there had been a twist where Eastman was actually Creighton Dallas Howard. Howard finding peace would have been interesting...

I seriously was expecting this lol

Is it worth watching the Episode from last night?

I don't care about how he became a stick fighting moral chump who doesn't kill :/

I don't care about how he became a stick fighting moral chump who doesn't kill :/

You should at least watch the beginning as well as the end of the episode. It sets up what will probably be some major Wolf-related plot points later in the season.

Razmos

You will miss literally nothing apart from the last 2 minutes or so which is set in the present day, and even that can be summarised in a line.

If you don't care about Morgan, don't bother. I nearly fell asleep.

Sadist

While a slow episode, I very much enjoyed it. Eastman is cool.

“What’s your name?” “Kill me.” “That’s a stupid name. It’s dangerous. You should change it.”

I chuckled.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Spend your time learning about redirection.

Redirect a zombie into biting your back.

Leave a goat out for zombies to eat unless someone comes running to save it.

Yes, i liked the character moments between Eastman and Morgan, but not at an hour and a half full of commercials and dumb chunks.

I laughed so hard at this. lol

Another interesting thing the captured wolf said: "Those are my rules. That's my code."

There's gotta be some underlying structure to the Wolves and their attacks on communities. Somebody else pulling the strings maybe.

4 more episodes this year!

Now that you mention it...it might be some from that group that Daryl hooked up with when he was looking for Beth. Unless Rick and friends just murdered them all and its just another crazy group.

I laughed so hard at this. lol

Now that you mention it...it might be some from that group that Daryl hooked up with when he was looking for Beth. Unless Rick and friends just murdered them all and its just another crazy group.
I doubt it. That group was in Georgia. They're in Virginia now

JustinBB7

So from the preview for next episode it looks like it will focus on
the group at home and not Rick/Glens death/Daryl

So I'm guessing actors for this get paid per episode/screen time? Because that would make sense for AMC to do this shit since AMC is cheap as fuck.

T.O.P

Banned
Fantastic episode, shame about how cheap Eastman's death was but other than that, loved it

Quite surprised at how consistent this show has been for this season, hell i hated most of the last few seasons

someday

Banned
So from the preview for next episode it looks like it will focus on
the group at home and not Rick/Glens death/Daryl

So I'm guessing actors for this get paid per episode/screen time? Because that would make sense for AMC to do this shit since AMC is cheap as fuck.
My understanding was that once you were a season regular, you were paid for the entire season whether you were in the episode or not. I feel like I read that during season 3 but I've got no sources.

I wasn't crazy about the episode. We already know Morgan's code. It is also tiring to see our group run into people who have in one way or another been surviving just fine in the zombie apocalypse. One episode with a Walking Dead regular and they and everything they loved is dead, usually stupidly.

This show has shoved it down our throats that humans are the real threat. I really don't like this but this is the show we have. Kill or be killed blah blah blah. They have killed off every character that saw the world differently. And now, we have Morgan. I'm just not excited about this. I guess the best case for me will be a compromise between Rick/Carol and Morgan's philosophy. It's just hard to enjoy last night's episode when we've just seen how detrimental Morgan's newfound belief system is to a group of people that we really care about. Hell, Morgan already got Eastman killed. Not a great beginning.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Comic spoilers
yep this is what I've been predicting myself but I still think it's going to be Negan killing Morgan that makes Rick pretty much honor his memory and not kill Negan at the end of all out war. Pretty much doing what Morgan would do in his shoes.

Bingo. If what we think will happen happens 'Here's Not Here' will end up being one of the most crucial episodes in the show's history.

This should have been the episode that aired following the Wolves attacking Alexandria, which itself focused on Morgan grappling with his new peaceful outlook and direct references to this episode. In other words it should have been last week's episode. It would have been picking up the story of Morgan naturally in the context of the last episode, and it wouldn't have been a 90 minute flashback episode immediately following a giant clusterfuck of a cliffhanger/non-cliffhanger/cliffhanger episode.

Agreed.

The episode structure is what hurt it the most. How do you have a 90 min filler after a cliffhanger? NINETY MINUTES. They stretched out something that could have been explained in a small webisode. They are trying to rationalize his new way of life that no one is willing to accept. Rick doesn't want to kill for fun, he simply does it for self defense which is perfectly reasonable. If Morgan causes a main character to die my piss will boil.

NYR

Comic spoilers
yep this is what I've been predicting myself but I still think it's going to be Negan killing Morgan that makes Rick pretty much honor his memory and not kill Negan at the end of all out war. Pretty much doing what Morgan would do in his shoes.
Ugh, no. would hate if this happens.
Main long term cast
will be wearing plot armor forever.

RangerX

Banned
Just watched it. Excellent episode. Morgan is a great character and I thought he did a great job in this one. There was a few scenes were you can see flickers of recognition in his face that focus pure survival and nihilism is not the way to be. I'm really glad he didn't kill the wolf at the end.

dustyherb

Ugh, no. would hate if this happens.
Main long term cast
will be wearing plot armor forever.
Comics spoilers
i fully expect that if Morgan dies at the hands of Negan then we will see some of our major long term cast member perish in the war. In the comics no one really died except Holly and Nicholas as far as I can remember. Both Glen and Carol I could see die during all out war. Still don't think Daryl would but I guess we will see where his character goes this season and the next if he isn't the one who dies from Negan.

plus I just don't think Morgan's character would work in all out war, unless he completely changes again there's no way he will make it. He'll just get all our main characters killed from the saviors and Negan

-griffy-

Banned

This seems counter productive. The whole reason the "black characters dying" thing became problematic is because there were so few black characters to the point that literally the one major black character on the show would die as another was introduced, as if the show only had room for one major black character at a time. If it hadn't happened with such consistency to the point of absurdity, it wouldn't have become a complaint leveled at the show in the first place.

The show has never lacked for major white characters, so pointing out all the white characters who have died is missing or deflecting the entire argument. A white character dying on the show doesn't create a gaping void of representation.

To be entirely fair, The Walking Dead has largely moved past this issue. But it was certainly disheartening that literally the first three people with speaking roles to die on Fear the Walking Dead were the only three black males with speaking roles. Just demonstrated a complete lack of awareness for what they were making.

My understanding was that once you were a season regular, you were paid for the entire season whether you were in the episode or not. I feel like I read that during season 3 but I've got no sources.

I wasn't crazy about the episode. We already know Morgan's code. It is also tiring to see our group run into people who have in one way or another been surviving just fine in the zombie apocalypse. One episode with a Walking Dead regular and they and everything they loved is dead, usually stupidly.

This show has shoved it down our throats that humans are the real threat. I really don't like this but this is the show we have. Kill or be killed blah blah blah. They have killed off every character that saw the world differently. And now, we have Morgan. I'm just not excited about this. I guess the best case for me will be a compromise between Rick/Carol and Morgan's philosophy. It's just hard to enjoy last night's episode when we've just seen how detrimental Morgan's newfound belief system is to a group of people that we really care about. Hell, Morgan already got Eastman killed. Not a great beginning.

I consider everyone that died at Alexandria to be Morgan's fault already. He had the chance to kill the Wolves (at least the two that appear to be leaders) at the end of last season when they attacked him and basically explained that they kill everyone that they come across. They then went on to find Aaron's bag which brought them to Alexandria which interfered with the plan to get rid of the quarry horde. All of that is traced back to Morgan's inaction during his original encounter with the Wolves. Everyone that died during those events is at least partially his fault.

jett

D-Member
I have one word for this episode:

Why.

Every single time this show attempts to either be artsy, deep, or worse, both, it becomes dreadfully boring. Ninety minutes of this, too.

This show is at its best when it embraces its inherent trashy self.

Nodnol

Loved this episode. Nice change of pace, and I thought it was really well done. After all the chaos of episode 1-3, it was great to get something very different.

In that case probably not.

Yeah, you should watch it then.

You should at least watch the beginning as well as the end of the episode. It sets up what will probably be some major Wolf-related plot points later in the season.

You will miss literally nothing apart from the last 2 minutes or so which is set in the present day, and even that can be summarised in a line.

If you don't care about Morgan, don't bother. I nearly fell asleep.

THANKS!

I might check it out if I need something to watch sometime ... this week.
Maybe :/

near

Gold Member
I consider everyone that died at Alexandria to be Morgan's fault already. He had the chance to kill the Wolves (at least the two that appear to be leaders) at the end of last season when they attacked him and basically explained that they kill everyone that they come across. They then went on to find Aaron's bag which brought them to Alexandria which interfered with the plan to get rid of the quarry horde. All of that is traced back to Morgan's inaction during his original encounter with the Wolves. Everyone that died during those events is at least partially his fault.

You can look at it that way or you can trace it back and blame Deanna since Rick had encouraged them to stop scouting for more survivors since there arrival at Alexandria. Rick had also told Daryl not to team up with Aaron and continue looking for more survivors as well yet they still did. If it had not been for Morgan, Aaron and Daryl wouldn't have made it out of the trap set up by the Wolves. Morgan isn't solely to blame, but had he killed them to begin with this story arc wouldn't have existed. It's a formula we've seen with the other characters before, which ends up darkening the character which feels responsible, in this case Morgan doesn't feel that way, it's Aaron who finds the pictures in one of the Wolves' bags and realises he's mistake.

a916

Do people actually like Morgan? He's a more capable but just as dumb and more importantly dangerous character like Carl.

Him letting the W people with a gun last week (who then tried using it on Rick)... like how dumb can you get? We're 6 seasons in, he's actively putting people in danger by letting these people go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom