• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Time to say goodbye,’ Duterte tells US during visit to China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

Beijing, China – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte said it was “time to say goodbye” to the US during a visit to China on Wednesday, as the combative leader reconfigures his country’s diplomatic alliances.

Duterte is in China for a four-day trip that is expected to confirm his tilt away from Washington and towards Beijing’s sphere of influence.

During a speech addressing the Filipino community in Beijing, the firebrand president said the Philippines had gained little from its long alliance with the US, its former colonial ruler.

“Your stay in my country was for your own benefit. So time to say goodbye, my friend,” he said, as if addressing the US.

“I will not go to America anymore. I will just be insulted there,” he added, before once again referring to US President Barack Obama as a “son of a whore.”

Duterte, who took office in late June, said he was fed up with the Philippines’ foreign policy being dictated by a Western agenda.

“What kept us from China was not our own making. I will charter a new course,” he said.

Foreign policy under Duterte has dramatically shifted from that pursued under predecessor Benigno Aquino III, who took Beijing to an international tribunal over its extensive territorial claims in the South China Sea and won a resounding victory.

The move infuriated Beijing. But Duterte, who took office in June shortly before the tribunal ruling, has made a point of not flaunting the outcome.

He has also suspended joint US-Philippine patrols in the South China Sea, and has threatened an end to joint military exercises.

Manila ‘a pawn’

The South China Sea is of intense interest to Washington and it has repeatedly spoken out on the various territorial disputes between China and its neighbours over the strategically vital waters.

Tensions have risen between the US and China over Washington’s so-called “pivot” to the Asia-Pacific, a move that Beijing says is intended to contain it.

Duterte will meet top leaders including President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Keqiang during his stay.

Hours before he spoke, Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told a regular briefing that Beijing was pleased to move towards resolving the territorial dispute “through consultation and dialogue”.

“Anyone who truly wishes for peace, stability, development and prosperity in the Asia Pacific” should welcome Duterte’s visit, she said.

In an editorial Wednesday, China’s nationalist Global Times newspaper said Washington had treated Manila “as a pawn,” adding Duterte was now “redesigning Philippine foreign policy based on Philippine interests.”

Duterte has said his China trip will focus on promoting economic ties.

The Philippines is hoping, among other things, that Beijing will repeal a ban on imports of its bananas – an economic sanction intended to punish Manila for its South China Sea stance.

Hua said Wednesday announcements on infrastructure cooperation and economic development projects could be expected during the Philippine leader’s visit.

As Duterte has cosied up to Beijing, he has repeatedly denounced the United States for criticising the deadly war on crime he instigated upon taking office.

Last month Duterte sparked a diplomatic storm when he branded Obama a “son of a whore” after being told the US president would raise the rights concerns at an Asia meeting.

Beijing, meanwhile, has enthusiastically endorsed Duterte’s war on drugs, which has seen more than 3,700 people killed and led the International Criminal Court to warn that those responsible could face charges.

Hua said Wednesday that the two sides were already in close communication about cooperating on drug control and anti-crime issues.

China has also offered to train some Filipino cadets in “anti-illegal drug and VIP security protection,” according to Senior Supt. Ramon Purugganan, deputy director of intelligence with the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/14...-tells-us-during-visit-to-china#ixzz4NafuBOcY
Follow us: @inquirerdotnet on Twitter | inquirerdotnet on Facebook

Source: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/147175/time-to-say-goodbye-duterte-tells-us-during-visit-to-china

Hmmm...

before once again referring to US President Barack Obama as a “son of a whore.”

Dude's crazy

norm9

Dude's turning into a supervillain real quick and in the aftermath, we're all gonna be like we didn't think he'd actually do it.

sphagnum

Banned
Yeah, it's absolutely true that the Philippines was always just a pawn to the US. Does he think China's going to treat them any differently?

Mesousa

Banned
Yeah, it's absolutely true that the Philippines was always just a pawn to the US. Does he think China's going to treat them any differently?

Philippines has been a pawn for centuries. The question is would being a pawn of the Chinese be a better deal than being a pawn of the US.

Many African nations have decided to accept the former.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The US will continue to lose influence in Asia even without crazy leaders like him. He just sped up the process.

Fuchsdh

If I were Trump, I'd point out that the Philippines is a country of losers. Now the Vietnamese, those guys don't quit. We're gonna' make great deals with them.

Piecake

Sounds like the reaction of a think-skin whiner who doesn't like being told his vigilante murder gangs are bad.

Good luck allying with the nation that wants to steal your territorial water claims and shit on the nation willing to protect them. I am sure that will work well.

This guy says the damnedest things. He truly has no filter.

But, if he follows through on this... how long before he has an "accident"?
The US will continue to lose influence in Asia even without crazy leaders like him. He just sped up the process.
He's not the only leader who feels like this based on how many of them interact at ASEAN but then interact with China diplomatically. They're trying to please both US and China at the same time.

sphagnum

Banned
Philippines has been a pawn for centuries. The question is would being a pawn of the Chinese be a better deal than being a pawn of the US.

I suppose that's true for his purposes. They won't give him any trouble for his mass murder and will prop him up pretty well. Also makes it so they won't have to worry about conflicts over Chinese claims to their waters since, you know, they'll be vassals and will just give in.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
byebitch.gif

Many African states are far more deeply entrenched with China economically but have bilateral military agreements with the US. Same strategy... play both sides.

mieumieu

Thats a poor way to break tie to a country. Chinese wont trust him either; who knows when you are going to flip again?

Don't the Philippines have competing claims with China over the South China Sea?

20120428_asm906.png

You can be close with China and still have those old WW2 protection and trade agreements, see Taiwan.
USA just pays 200Million to have a Navy base, Countries like Albania get far more for less.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
This guy says the damnedest things. He truly has no filter.

But, if he follows through on this... how long before he has an "accident"?

He's not the only leader who feels like this based on how many of them interact at ASEAN but then interact with China diplomatically. They're trying to please both US and China at the same time.

Duterte has had this in mind since the start, probably even before getting elected. He wants to align the Philippines with China, but he needs to sell that to his people and not come off looking like a pawn. So he has been trying to provoke the US since the start. The US kind of tried to avoid playing into that trap, so he is still keeping at it when he's almost at the table with China hoping the US will react. He wants to be able to take the populist approach to justify rapprochement with China, but without a reaction from the US it has made things difficult.

Calling Obama a son of a whore, and again today, isn't a random spurt.

The US can't do anything about it except hope he screws up enough to get kicked out of office, but that's not going to happen; any opposition will be said to be US-led anyway, so it will just add to his narrative.

The US has lost the Philippines for sure, no going back.

I do not support anything Duterte does, think and represent but as long as he contributes to the end of the empire he has some worth.

Piecake

Duterte has had this in mind since the start, probably even before getting elected. He wants to align the Philippines with China, but he needs to sell that to his people and not come off looking like a pawn. So he has been trying to provoke the US since the start. The US kind of tried to avoid playing into that trap, so he is still keeping at it when he's almost at the table with China hoping the US will react. He wants to be able to take the populist approach to justify rapprochement with China, but without a reaction from the US it has made things difficult.

Calling Obama a son of a whore, and again today, isn't a random spurt.

The US can't do anything about it except hope he screws up enough to get kicked out of office, but that's not going to happen; any opposition will be said to be US-led anyway, so it will just add to his narrative.

The US has lost the Philippines for sure, no going back.

I don't know about that. US has like a 95% approval rating in the Philippines for some weird reason.

Popular leaders can definitely change the opinions of their followers, but not everyone is a follower of Duterte and that is a sky high approval number.

China also has to play ball and not encroach on Philippine territorial water, and especially not attack Philippine boats in the disputed area or his strategy, if it actually is one, will crumble

finowns

Well, it's up to the Philippines to control their future. I wonder if Duterte talks shit to China? I think the relationship will be different for some reason.

Duterte is not a smart man. China will easily manipulate him to be their lapdog.

I think it has more to do with the history of western powers towards them.

They would rather deal with China who doesnt come off as trying to down talk them and act superior

Toxi

Banned

They would rather deal with China who doesnt come off as trying to down talk them and act superior.
China also has a lot less of a problem with state-performed mass murder.

The Philippines is hoping, among other things, that Beijing will repeal a ban on imports of its bananas – an economic sanction intended to punish Manila for its South China Sea stance.

Bitch-made motherfucker. I really wonder what Duterte supporters are saying now. I know some who are very anti-China when it comes to the Spratly Islands dispute. China hoping to gain more allies to control the territory easier.

Kthulhu

They would rather deal with China who doesnt come off as trying to down talk them and act superior

Yeah. Instead of talking down to them they just invade their waters without saying anything.

Espada

Yup, Duterte is simply hastening a process that'll happen eventually. As China has grown in power so has their desire to expand their influence. For countries in that region China is the undisputed reigning Queen, all rely on doing business with them. I really think we should rethink the doomed Asia pivot and put our resources to work elsewhere.

Toxi

Banned
Hes killing the drug dealers is what im seeing in the news . Yea the U.S. just kills leaders under the guise of democracy for their own personal goals
“Hitler massacred three million Jews ... there’s three million drug addicts. There are. I’d be happy to slaughter them.”

You are defending a mass murderer who has already killed thousands of his own citizens and vows to kill many more.

SURGEdude

Bye.

The US influence depends on many factors, but the consumption of fascistic dictators by the PRC is hardly a consolidation of anything but the rape of their natural resources.

The only difference in choice is an ineffective democracy versus the fucked up mix that the PRC is pushing.

Like in Europe only an idiot would choose China over the US if they have any intention of honest trade.

geestack

Hes killing the drug dealers is what im seeing in the news . The U.S. just kills leaders under the guise of democracy for their own personal goals

these are extrajudicial killings; he's essentially turning a blind eye to death squads operating in country. the "evidence" in these killings is slim to none, and anyone can be named a drug dealer and killed in the state duterte has created.

“Hitler massacred three million Jews ... there’s three million drug addicts. There are. I’d be happy to slaughter them.”

You are defending a mass murderer who has already killed thousands of his own citizens and vows to kill many more.

these are extrajudicial killings; he's essentially turning a blind eye to death squads operating in country. the "evidence" in these killings is slim to none, and anyone can be named a drug dealer and killed in the state duterte has created.

I'm not defending him if he really is killing innocent people, thats wrong . I dont trust the western media when its about non western countries.

My point was that he would rather deal with china because they dont involve themselves with another countries social issues. Personally I as a black man would love to hear other countries condemn the U.S. like he did about police brutality on black americans .

It sucks but a lot of times its better to solve problems without interference.

I'm not defending him if he really is killing innocent people, thats wrong . I dont trust the western media when its about non western countries.

My point was that he would rather deal with china because they dont involve themselves with another countries social issues. Personally I as a black man would love to hear other countries condemn the U.S. like he did about police brutality on black americans .

It sucks but a lot of times its better to solve problems without interference.

What the fuck are you on about? It's verifiable that he's killing people, he brags about it. It's all over every news outlet on earth. Your trying to minimize and dismiss a MASS MURDERER.

SURGEdude

To this day I wonder how Trump people can exist in our modern society.

I think it disproves Darwinism. No way this could happen without a DumbAss God.

I win Bigly.

Bigly.

Bigly.

Love me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom