• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Time to say goodbye,’ Duterte tells US during visit to China

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahasverus

I do not support anything Duterte does, think and represent but as long as he contributes to the end of the empire he has some worth.
Are you Maduro? Empire? What Empire? The closest thing to an empire, as in a country invading others and subjugating them, is Russia.

I'm not defending him if he really is killing innocent people, thats wrong . I dont trust the western media when its about non western countries.

My point was that he would rather deal with china because they dont involve themselves with another countries social issues. Personally I as a black man would love to hear other countries condemn the U.S. like he did about police brutality on black americans .

It sucks but a lot of times its better to solve problems without interference.

The fuck is wrong with you? Police in both countries abuse their power. The difference is that one president gave them permission and actively encourages them to and the other didn't.

Sunster

Are you Maduro? Empire? What Empire? The closest thing to an empire, as in a country invading others and subjugating them, is Russia.

maybe US isn't the dictionary definition of an empire but having over 900 military bases in other countries around the world is kinda ridiculous.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not defending him if he really is killing innocent people, thats wrong . I dont trust the western media when its about non western countries.

My point was that he would rather deal with china because they dont involve themselves with another countries social issues. Personally I as a black man would love to hear other countries condemn the U.S. like he did about police brutality on black americans .

"It sucks"? We're talking about fucking mass murder by death squads.

Yeah China doesn't interfere with other countries at all

BB-South-China-Sea-Rev1.jpg

He's rather naive if he thinks China will treat the Philippines better than the United States does. Then again, China definitely wouldn't speak out on his human rights crimes, as they have their own violations to protect.

The typical U.S. playbook would be to have the CIA assassinate him and set up a new government, but I don't think that's likely in this case.

I mean, the US is, for the most part, an empire, albeit a soft one whose power is legitimised through its ability to project its military worldwide instead of through direct occupation, and the dissemination and consumption of its culture throughout much of the world. That said, the guy's obviously more focused on the end of American imperialism than s/he is on realistic politics.

Oh my sweet summer child. Please look up the history of the U.S, and Maduro isn't even the person that started the whole empire thing, it was in fact, ironically, Americans like Gore Vidal and Noam Chomsky but nice attempt at a passive-aggressive commie comparison.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Dude's turning into a supervillain real quick and in the aftermath, we're all gonna be like we didn't think he'd actually do it.

He pretty much already is one, with his policies encouraging vigilante witchhunting bullshit in his own country.

numble

The other ASEAN nations having been simultaneously courting both the US and China, and Philippines was one of the lone countries that just stuck with the US. If the US will continue to give military aid (which is likely) and other support, due to the importance of the Philippines, there is economic sense in courting China:

http://www.economist.com/news/asia/...ch-american-ally-falling-chinese-camp-rodrigo
What is Mr Duterte up to? Bear in mind that development and growth are his priority—one reason for his sky-high popularity in a country with an entrenched plutocracy lording it over legions of urban and rural poor. But development needs capital, and the Philippines has been excluded from recent Chinese largesse showered around the rest of the region. Relations suffered in 2012 after China dislodged the Philippine navy from the Scarborough Shoal, which is just over 200km from the Philippines proper, within its exclusive economic zone, and almost 900km from China. Filipino businesses have struggled in China, while little Chinese investment has come to the Philippines. The tribunal’s ruling only made matters worse: afterwards, China told even its tourists to stay away.

The Philippines had been plucky in standing up to China. But it has paid a price. Now, the goodies that China is dangling look irresistible. Mr Duterte wants lots of infrastructure, particularly railways. China is offering cheap loans. He wants the country to export more. China is offering to reopen its markets to Philippine fruit. He wants help with the war on drugs. A Chinese businessman is building a big rehab centre. And he wants Filipino fishermen to be able to return to their traditional fishing grounds around the Scarborough Shoal. China has told Philippine officials that it is open to an accommodation.

sphagnum

Banned

The US is a liberal form of empire. We just haven't had a rival like the USSR for such a long time that it's not as obvious unless we do stupid stuff like invade Iraq.

Oh my sweet summer child. Please look up the history of the U.S, and Maduro isn't even the person that started the whole empire thing, it was in fact, ironically, Americans like Gore Vidal and Neon Chomsky but nice attempt at a passive-aggressive commie comparison.
Do I point the issue of calling him out for passive aggressive crap while using the most passive aggressive 'my sweet summer child' lol

fucking hell please.

And he really is the worst. Basically an asian Trump.

Wait, he's actually worse.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Some posters say the dumbest things.

They asked us for a base? or we asked them? and why do we need them again?

Are you asking me to list every single base in the world? Of course it's a mix of both, which I'm sure you're aware of. Why we need them is debatable but you have yet to answer how this constitutes the US as an empire. Having bases in completely sovereign countries does not fit the definition of empire.

If Duerte wants to break the defense pact he can do so, I have no issue with him taking the defense of his country upon himself while saving us tax dollars.

keuja

This guy's bat shit crazy. Sucking china's dick while rejecting his oldest allies. He's as corrupted as all the president before him.

Sunster

Are you asking me to list every single base in the world? Of course it's a mix of both, which I'm sure you're aware of. Why we need them is debatable but you have yet to answer how this constitutes the US as an empire. Having bases in completely sovereign countries does not fit the definition of empire.

If Duerte wants to break the defense pact he can do so, I have no issue with him taking the defense of his country upon himself while saving us tax dollars.

Having military presence worldwide is pretty empire like.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
He's rather naive if he thinks China will treat the Philippines better than the United States does. Then again, China definitely wouldn't speak out on his human rights crimes, as they have their own violations to protect.

The typical U.S. playbook would be to have the CIA assassinate him and set up a new government, but I don't think that's likely in this case.
'He'a naive if he thinks anyone will treat the Phillipines as well as the US does'

'The CIA should assassinate him and set up a puppet government'

Having military presence worldwide is pretty empire like.

Empire is defined by control of territory, which military bases are not since they are in entirely sovereign countries which the US would withdraw from by request. If the bases were used for essentially puppet control of countries/territory then that would be an empire, but they aren't.

Dude should just shut the fuck up. He also brought Marcos with him on his trip to Beijing. Can't believe people voted for this guy.

Sunster

Empire is defined by control of territory, which military bases are not since they are in entirely sovereign countries which the US would withdraw from by request. If the bases were used for essentially puppet control of countries/territory then that would be an empire, but they aren't.

Remember my 1st post where I said we weren't the dictionary definition of an empire? I do. We share a quality with an empire. So offended by the word empire? Fine, we are not an empire but our bases are grossly unnecessary and are widely protested all over the world by the citizens of their host countries.

addik

He didnt even condemn the police killings in the USA, he just used it to retort back at Obama after the latter criticized him for everything.

Yeah, he's always been chummy with China. A lot of his supporters tend to downplay that, especially since they would rather trade the contested waters for infrastructure.

It's dumb really. People are willing to give up their sovereignty for an idol they worship or for infrastructure projects that our government can implement on their own or without giving up contestand lands

Madness

Yeah China doesn't interfere with other countries at all

BB-South-China-Sea-Rev1.jpg

Now now, some Chinese sailors must've stopped on those originally 10 foot wide rocks while sailing 6 centuries ago. This means the islands are theirs and they can spend hundreds of millions of dollars reclaiming land and turning them into military airstrips and army bases.

China is so laughable when it comes to their propaganda. When they get upset they start to sound as batshit insane as North Korea. If China wants to play the historical card, they would transfer half of their land to modern Mongolia. Duterte and the Philippines are going to cry for this. They finally dealt a blow to China using international law and yet will completely disregard this and affect their own self interest going forward. You reap what you sow.

They asked us for a base? or we asked them? and why do we need them again?
Because thanks to the US having such a wide reaching military. It's allowed the EU and many other nations and nation States to all but ignore their own military engagements. The US functions as a global army.

Remember my 1st post where I said we weren't the dictionary definition of an empire? I do. We share a quality with an empire. So offended by the word empire? Fine, we are not an empire but our bases are grossly unnecessary and are widely protested all over the world by the citizens of their host countries.

The large if not vast majority of bases have majority support by citizens in those countries. Because there are some protests does not mean the majority of the country does not support bases. Besides Guantanamo, no US base has been kept open after the host country asked the US to leave.

Whether they're necessary is another question. If you're against bases for cost or some other use of resource, fine. Just don't insinuate they're being kept against the will of host countries.

'The CIA should assassinate him and set up a puppet government'

Uh, I did not say the CIA should do that, that's just the historical strategic move. We have a vastly different relationship with the Philippines than most of those examples. It's not like the population there overwhelmingly likes the U.S. for no reason. The only move we really have is to kill Duterte with kindness and make it impossible for him politically to cut ties with America.

pa22word

Regardless of what you think of the man, this is a devastating blow to us interests in the area, crippling access to veitnam, Singapore, and Thailand in fell swoop. Xi must be throwing parties all night due to this dude's asshatery. So much of the pivot to Asia was centered on our long lasting friendship with the Philippines just staying like it is that we took for granted how unstable the region can be. If we end up killing tpp now the pivot is effectively dead in the water.

All the grandstanding from china and all it took was a thin skinned jackass from a solid ally to blow the entire region up. Funny world we live in sometimes...

Let's hope President Hillary doesn't start the Spanish American War Part 2 over this. We've seen her rattle sabres over lesser provocations.

FStop7

Banned
Regardless of what you think of the man, this is a devastating blow to us interests in the area, crippling access to veitnam, Singapore, and Thailand in fell swoop. Xi must be throwing parties all night due to this dude's asshatery. So much of the pivot to Asia was centered on our long lasting friendship with the Philippines just staying like it is that we took for granted how unstable the region can be. If we end up killing tpp now the pivot is effectively dead in the water.

All the grandstanding from china and all it took was a thin skinned jackass from a solid ally to blow the entire region up. Funny world we live in sometimes...

i imagine this is why Europe is watching the US election so intently.

Renekton

For years, smaller country leaders always took potshots at the outgoing US administration for local brownie points, since after election everything gets reset again.

I wonder if the internet is amplying the outrage.

FStop7

Banned
We have way, way, way, way, way, way more stop gaps in place that would prevent something like this from happening.

A US sitting president could never convene death squads.

I'm more talking about a certain thin skinned orange guy causing instability in Europe based on his talk about pulling out of NATO, etc.

You gotta suspect something when the guy is allying himself with the country that's invading its territorial waters and supplying the drugs to his own people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom