• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Ghost In The Shell” Producer Explains Why The Film’s Approach Is “The Right Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Ghost In The Shell” Producer Explains Why The Film’s Approach Is “The Right Approach”

Surprising News: Movie Producer defends his decisions on his movie.

Until now, those behind Ghost in the Shell have remained silent. But on Wednesday, BuzzFeed News spoke with Steven Paul, a producer on the film who announced his plans to adapt another manga series, Lone Wolf and Cub, this week. Paul told BuzzFeed News in a phone interview that he thinks manga fans will have a change of heart after they see the movie version of Ghost in the Shell.

“I think everybody is going to end up being really happy with it,” he said. “They’re going to be very, very happy with it when they see what we’ve actually done with it, and I don’t think anybody’s going to be disappointed.”

Paul also clarified the name of Johansson’s character: She is referred to as “the Major” in the movie, despite being known as Major Kusanagi in the source material.

While the original Ghost in the Shell takes place in the fictional Japanese city of Niihama, Niihama Prefecture, Paul referred to the setting of Ghost in the Shell as “an international world.” “There [are] all sorts of people and nationalities in the world in Ghost in the Shell,” he said of the cast, which also includes Pilou Asbaek, Michael Pitt, Takeshi Kitano, Juliette Binoche, Kaori Momoi, and Chin Han. “We’re utilizing people from all over the world. … There’s Japanese in it. There’s Chinese in it. There’s English in it. There’s Americans in it.”

While there are fans who argue Ghost in the Shell is an inherently Japanese story and not a universal narrative, Paul, who grew up watching Japanese films and reading manga, doesn’t see it that way.

“I don’t think it was just a Japanese story. Ghost in the Shell was a very international story, and it wasn’t just focused on Japanese; it was supposed to be an entire world,” he said. “That’s why I say the international approach is, I think, the right approach to it.”
“I think we’ve done the manga comic great honor. As I said, the fans will be very happy, because there’s a great respect that’s been paid to the manga,” Paul added, saying that Ghost in the Shell creator Shirow and Kodansha — the company that first published the manga — have been supportive and involved in the making of the film. “We’ve been very, very careful. Obviously, there’s some new imagination, as well. I mean, like anything, when you’re making a movie, you’ve gotta bring your own.”

Edit Bonus: Scarlett Johansson Says We Should Keep Asking For Diversity In Hollywood!

As for this week’s expansion of the membership of the Motion Picture Academy — adding more women and minorities to the Oscar-granting organization’s roster, Johansson said, “It’s awesome to have a diverse group of people in an organization like that. You need to have different points of view and different perspectives.

“Of course, it’s also the studios who ultimately will make the movies, but I think when the audiences speak loudly and tell the studios what they want to watch, there’s an ear there. The audiences will drive the direction of what is green-lit and put on the fast track. I truly believe that to be true, especially now in the time of social media. The voices cannot be ignored. So I tell people to keep asking, and to keep asking for diversity in Hollywood.”

So keep begging and eventually Hollywood will listen.... someday.

Is this the first they've said she is just "the Major" rather than pretending she's Kusanagi? Because that's relieving

I don't see an issue with them just taking the framework of the original and working from there (taking liberties with castings and such), it's more of an issue when you are saying "look it's those exact characters and that world on the big screen!"

Expectations are still at rock bottom but it'd be nice to at least get a solid cyberpunk film out of this, albeit a poor adaptation of the source material

2San

It make sense to be honest. The movie is adapted for western audiences. Movies are adapted for local markets all the time.

They could've gone with something other than a white person again though.

Pitt and Binoche rock but this movie will be mediocre at best coming from this director. Snow White and Huntsman was bland as shit.

A damn shame that this property ended up in the hands of somebody so uninspired.

- J - D -

That's about as safe a response to the hubbub as you can get. And I get it -- someone in an authority position on this movie is essentially in a precarious position when making a statement in response to a touchy issue. What else could he say? "Yeah, the racial heirarchy in Hollywood casting is what it is. We know. But Scarlet brings in the crowds. Deal with it. Also, go see our movie, we have a bunch of other ethnicities in it, just not as the lead."

The right approach alright, for a cynical studio system.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Disregarding the state of America in the GITS world kinda ruins some of the uniqueness of it.

Whatever. I'll never understand why American audiences can't watch a movie where America isn't the center of it.

Disregarding the state of America in the GITS world kinda ruins some of the uniqueness of it.

Whatever. I'll never understand why American audiences can't watch a movie where America isn't the center of it.

It's one of those myths that isn't actually supported by anything.

She is frequently called The Major on Stand-Alone Complex. Dunno about the other material.

She's called by her actual name frequently as well

These type of responses never end well

They should honestly just not say anything, but there's no justification other than "The guys giving me money are racists and don't like anyone, but white leads. Please see our movie regardless"

She is frequently called The Major on Stand-Alone Complex. Dunno about the other material.
I knew that, but everything I've seen before has said (or assumed) "Scarlett Johanson will play Major Kusanagi", which only worsened the backlash....rightfully so, I suppose

They can still call her The Major without pretending she's Japanese

lazygecko

“I think everybody is going to end up being really happy with it,” he said. “They’re going to be very, very happy with it when they see what we’ve actually done with it, and I don’t think anybody’s going to be disappointed.”

That's a pretty surefire way to fuel spiteful resentment.

Pitt and Binoche rock but this movie will be mediocre at best coming from this director. Snow White and Huntsman was bland as shit.

A damn shame that this property ended up in the hands of somebody so uninspired.

I actually thought the director was pretty decent in Snow White and the Huntsman. If this adaptation fails, I don't think it'll be because of its visuals and direction. Matter of fact, I'll go out on a limb and say at the very least, it'll look good.

Kthulhu

Is Scarlett going to get naked for the ending or are they keeping this garbage PG?

image.php

I've never had my opinion of a movie do a 180 so quickly before.
I'm somehow feeling both of these.
I'm a lot more interested now and he seems to be a fan of manga and anime so I assume he'll pay more respect to the source material than a director who was handed a property and doesn't care for the original. On the other hand
Snow-white and the huntsman.

It make sense to be honest. The movie is adapted for western audiences. Movies are adapted for local markets all the time.

I still don't know where this movie is even supposed to be set.

Simo

Were these posted before? Nothing related to the producer's comments but Production I.G tweeted these out a few days ago where Mamoru Oshii (GITS and Innocence Director) and Kenji Kamiyama (Stand Alone Complex TV series director) and Kenji Kawai (Music composer for GITS and Innocence) visited the set in Hong Kong:
Cl8o0iHVEAECNbC.jpg:large

ClIQ71JUYAA1Vbu.jpg:large

Merc_

Yeah, no.

Non whites are good enough to support the white leads and that's all that is usually comes from Hollywood "diversity". Fuck that nonsense.

Loudninja

Nah being adapted for western audience to me is a lame excuse.

GavinUK86

Were these posted before? Nothing related to the producer's comments but Production I.G tweeted these out a few days ago where Mamoru Oshii (GITS and Innocence Director) and Kenji Kamiyama (Stand Alone Complex TV series director) and Kenji Kawai (Music composer for GITS and Innocence) visited the set in Hong Kong:
Cl8o0iHVEAECNbC.jpg:large

ClIQ71JUYAA1Vbu.jpg:large

I have not seen these before but WHY IS TRICKY DRESSED AS A MONK

2San

I still don't know where this movie is even supposed to be set.
Hawaii

I have no idea.

Nah being adapted for western audience to me is a lame excuse.
Just seems odd to me that a western studio is forced to make a Japanese movie, just because of the origin of the source material. That it takes place in Japan isn't really important the movie, also considering the Anime movie looks like it takes place in Hong Kong. Furthermore, local movie studios make adaptions of foreign movies all the time it's not just US doing this. Is Old Boy worse because it takes place in South Korea?

I think that I'm going to approach this like I did Edge of Tomorrow, judge it entirely on whether or not it's a good movie.

I think his point is that there are westerners that are Asian, even ones in America.
The point is situations where a story that originated from one country is adapted by movie makers from another country and the cast of characters are changed to people from the movie maker's country happens all the time and all over the world.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
While the original Ghost in the Shell takes place in the fictional Japanese city of Niihama, Niihama Prefecture, Paul referred to the setting of Ghost in the Shell as “an international world.” “There [are] all sorts of people and nationalities in the world in Ghost in the Shell,” he said of the cast, which also includes Pilou Asbaek, Michael Pitt, Takeshi Kitano, Juliette Binoche, Kaori Momoi, and Chin Han. “We’re utilizing people from all over the world. … There’s Japanese in it. There’s Chinese in it. There’s English in it. There’s Americans in it.”
Look, I've already cooled down and come to terms with the ScarJo casting and at this point I'll just judge it as its quality solely as a film, but this is just a bs argument through and through.

"They’re going to be very, very happy with it when they see what we’ve actually done with it, and I don’t think anybody’s going to be disappointed.”

Not a subjective bone in his body. Plus I have zero confidence in his words, that seem to want to push the real issue out like it's old beard and not address them or it. Also sorry Ghost in the shell is very much a Japanese story.

Their not even trying to approach the film like EOT handled the material and the director has no other films that speak to his experience and expertise in how to handle the subject matter let alone the massage or the nuance. The writers for this make that clear, he's not a talent behind the camera more of a tow the company line and not really branch out. The safe bet...not the right one.

Also i hate when films like these try to pander with the creators like they have some type of input and are just pieces in the circus.An will dismiss it or not say a thing once it come out if it's bad.

The point is situations where a story that originated from one country is adapted by movie makers from another country and the cast of characters are changed to people from the movie maker's country happens all the time and all over the world.

I agree, but you're still not getting the argument that Asian Americans are Americans too. Your post is kinda implying that people from the movie maker's country are only White therefore only White leads should be considered.

Now I've been saying the way Hollywood operates, them acquiring a Japanese property, adapt it for western audiences, and then cast Asian Americans in leading roles would defeat the purpose of Hollywood getting the property in the first place. The only way I see this changing is for Asian American production companies to start acquiring these properties and adapt it themselves and cast Asian Americans.

RedSwirl

I think that I'm going to approach this like I did Edge of Tomorrow, judge it entirely on whether or not it's a good movie.

They probably should have done it like Edge of Tomorrow or The Departed -- just a total adaptation with a different name.

At this point they've probably already burned all chances of using the original name to draw in some fans. They obviously care more about attracting people who wouldn't normally watch Ghost in the Shell as-is.

Is this the first they've said she is just "the Major" rather than pretending she's Kusanagi? Because that's relieving

I don't see an issue with them just taking the framework of the original and working from there (taking liberties with castings and such), it's more of an issue when you are saying "look it's those exact characters and that world on the big screen!"

Expectations are still at rock bottom but it'd be nice to at least get a solid cyberpunk film out of this, albeit a poor adaptation of the source material

I'm really hoping they look at what worked with Edge of Tomorrow (taking the framework of the manga and making a sort of new story out of it) and try to replicate that. If that happens, I think we may have a pretty decent movie.

RangerBAD

Oshii is probably eating Johansson's involvement up. Watch Avalon. I might have been slightly interested if he directed it (I still wouldn't go see it.)

That would be fine and dandy, but they aren't even trying to handle this project like that movie and frankly. Edge of Tomorrow had a much better production team and pedigree along with a veteran Director. This is just amateur hour.

Opto

Banned
This whole thing is weird. Why not make a cyberpunk movie and avoid all of issues about race. Ghost in the Shell is more cult following than mainstream.

Also don't forget they tried to digitally yellowface ScarJo, so don't give me that crap about "utilizing people from all over the world"

And people wonder why it's hard for others to take anime seriously, sometimes.
If this is a good reason to not take anime seriously and dismiss it. Then they aren't worth the time and need to educate themselves.

Practice good judgment they must...don't be sheep.

This whole thing is weird. Why not make a cyberpunk movie and avoid all of issues about race. Ghost in the Shell is more cult following than mainstream.

Also don't forget they tried to digitally yellowface ScarJo, so don't give me that crap about "utilizing people from all over the world"

aka two or three line characters, background noise and or generic bad guys.

That would be fine and dandy, but they aren't even trying to handle this project like that movie and frankly. Edge of Tomorrow had a much better production team and pedigree along with a veteran Director. This is just amateur hour.
Am I the only one that thinks Edge of Tomorrow was mediocre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom