• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Ghost In The Shell” Producer Explains Why The Film’s Approach Is “The Right Approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
That kind of assumes that movies bomb due to whitewashing in the first place.

They don't have a very good track record as of late.

Movies that have recently had whitewashing backlash: Prince of Persia, The Last Airbender, Exodus, Gods of Egypt, The Lone Ranger, Aloha, Pan, etc.

I'm struggling to think of a film with a recent whitewashing controversy that has done well at the box office. I think the only one that will prove to be successful in the foreseeable future is Doctor Strange, and that's because Marvel films are impervious to anything but success at this point.

Edit: Actually, Star Trek Into Darkness is probably an example of a film experiencing a whitewashing controversy that is successful.

RedSwirl

I'm 100% positive that this movie is going to under perform. Box Office has not been kind to non-YA large budget science fiction films. Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, John Carter, After Earth, Tomorrow Land, Elysium, Jupiter Ascending, Ender's Game, Chappie, Transcendence, Dredd, etc.

I don't think today's audiences give a shit about Ghost in the Shell type science fiction. I feel like it'll do Total Recall type numbers.

This might actually be a good point.

Best shot is probably some YA-type movie that just cribs off GitS and Akira like a motherfucker. The current YA trend already leans heavily on dystopian settings.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That kind of assumes that movies bomb due to whitewashing in the first place.

Most whitewashed movies have been received very poorly as of late. ATLA movie, Exodus, etc (see the movies HarSon referenced)

Although I suspect you're insinuating the movie will bomb because of other reasons? While that's also plausible I think a great deal of it's possible failure will be because of the whitewashing.

UrbanRats

They don't have a very good track record as of late.

Movies that have recently had whitewashing backlash: Prince of Persia, The Last Airbender, Exodus, Gods of Egypt, The Lone Ranger, Aloha, Pan, etc.

I think some of these felt the whitewashing backlash more than others.
Films like Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt, PoP, were pretty much garbage beyond the WW.

Inoffensive pap that could've done alright, like Aloha, were definitely hurt by it, since all i could hear about that movie, were jokes about Emma Stone.
(anecdotal, admittedly).
Exodus and Lone Ranger, too.

Pan i have no idea, because i forgot it even existed.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I think they're going for the japanese consciousness in a white android body.

Even if this does fit in with the logic of the GitS universe, this is definitely going to rustle even more jimmies than it already is. They've pretty much backed themselves into a corner with casting no matter what.

I think they're going for the japanese consciousness in a white android body.

So basically the Reverse Psylocke origin story, give or take some stuff

Ghost in the Shell producer defends controversial Scarlett Johansson 'whitewashed' casting

Another argument against the casting is that the story of Ghost in the Shell is inherently Japanese, something Paul - who grew up reading the manga - doesn’t agree with.

He said: “I don’t think it was just a Japanese story. Ghost in the Shell was a very international story, and it wasn’t just focused on Japanese; it was supposed to be an entire world. That’s why I say the international approach is, I think, the right approach to it.

So why give her a Japanese mother? Give her a Spanish mother for the sake of being "international" Yes I'm being facetious, but you were do adamant on not calling it a japanese story, but you allude the MC is Japanese. At least 1/2

Even if this does fit in with the logic of the GitS universe, this is definitely going to rustle even more jimmies than it already is. They've pretty much backed themselves into a corner with casting no matter what.

I know, but there's no turning back now. The only thing they can hope for now is the quality of the movie itself is good.

BBboy20

Wait, what? Japan is a big deal in the GITS mythos. Like, did they forget nationalism being a big theme in 2nd GIG?

From SDCC
SDCC-2016-WETA-001.jpg

SDCC-2016-WETA-015.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom