• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Tomb Raider’ Live Action From Phoebe Waller-Bridge (Dial of Destiny Actress) Announced

I've said it before, I'll say it again. They need to stop trying to make live action Tomb Raider a thing.

The first Angelina Jolie film was an anomaly in its time--a high budget video game adaptation that didn't totally suck. The sequel was terrible and its box office receipts bore that out. The most recent attempt based on the 2013 game was another abysmal failure.

Lara is fine as a video game character, but she is simply not compelling enough to hold up a film series. She just doesn't have the personality to sustain a full movie or live action series. There's just not enough there to latch onto.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Season 17 What GIF by America's Got Talent
That 70S Show Lol GIF by Peacock

its going to flop

Everything that woman has touched in the last 5 years or so has been garbage. Whether she's just acting in it or writing. That's the exact point in time when her politics ruled over everything she's done, like so many in Hollywood recently.

Billbofet

I enjoyed Fleabag, but I don't see how that humor carries over to Tomb Raider.
As long as she's not cast as Lara, and the woman-splaining is kept in check, I might give it a chance.

To me, it would be more exciting to announce once the cast is in place vs. one of probably a dozen writers that will have their hands in on this.

jason10mm

Gold Member
She didnt write Dial of Destiny and acting like No Time To Die is garbage is some serious revisionist shit.
Going further and ignoring Fleabag and Killing Eve really looks like people just want to be angry about something.

What?
But No time to Die WAS narrative garbage and she did "character rewrites" on DoD. Fleabag had it's moments in s1 but it was mostly just a shitty person getting by, not the tone for Lara Croft at all. Never watched Killing Eve.

My take on her is she has zero respect for anything that came before and doesnt really understand a heroic character, rather it's all internal navelgazing and bad behavior without consequences.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
There is no way original Lara Croft could exist in today's ultra-sensitive world.

They have to make her fugly like Wonder Woman from Suicide Squad. I still can't get over that.

Then she'll have to be a feminist and bi or lesbian.

Then she'll have to be anti-colonialist. Guessing she's going to retrieve treasures from museums to give back to natives or whatever.

It's all going to be so terrible.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is no way original Lara Croft could exist in today's ultra-sensitive world.

They have to make her fugly like Wonder Woman from Suicide Squad. I still can't get over that.

Then she'll have to be a feminist and bi or lesbian.

Then she'll have to be anti-colonialist. Guessing she's going to retrieve treasures from museums to give back to natives or whatever.

It's all going to be so terrible.
Yeah, this really chaps my hide because a lot of this stuff was SAVED from the "natives" who, at the time, had little to no interest in the historic value of pretty much anything and were largely in the process of destroying their own prior civilizations for the building materials or scrap value. It's the europeans with their antiquarian bloodlust that made it a priority to gather this stuff, study it, and preserve it however they could, either on site or back home. Or it was basically plunder from war and guess what, the owners of the things before the europeans got it likely plundered it from a neighbor first, back and forth.

I don't see this show having elaborate tomb sets with a solo adventurer parkouring her way through them. For a TV show she has got to have an ensemble cast, a tragic backstory that can sustain multiple flashbacks as we get spoonfed her past crimes for which she must now atone, probably more than a few mystery boxes, we all know the drill for this stuff. I'm curios if it will go for a TV-MA vibe or be more tween friendly. I actually think a lot of these shows could have a censored version for more general consumption and easily excisable scenes of T&A, language, and gore for the grown ups, like in the old days of syndication.

Top Bottom