• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Watchmen’s’ provocative portrait of race in America has its own creator worried

brap

Banned
Damn... It shouldn't be so hard to say 'fuck wypipo' in this day and age...

The new “Watchmen,” which premiered Sunday, reverses that dynamic in startling fashion, centering an African American woman, known as Sister Night, as its caped crusader protagonist, while injecting hot-button political issues — race and racism, white supremacy and police brutality against African Americans — into its main plot lines.

Even more striking, the fantastic world of “Watchmen,” with science-fiction flavored elements like flying ships and raining squid, has been merged with a story arc based on historical events, one that includes horrific images of black men and women being tortured and killed.

The opening scenes of the first episode, for instance, re-create the Tulsa, Okla., race riot of 1921, in which a prosperous African American community was savaged by angry whites, including the Ku Klux Klan. Black men are shown being dragged by cars. In a scene from a later episode, a black man is strung up, and the scene is shown from his point of view as he looks down in horror at his attackers, gasping desperately for air.

While hopeful that this fresh, progressive spin on the material will attract and engage an audience beyond the franchise’s existing fanbase, those responsible for HBO’s version are acutely aware that the series is a leap of faith, one that risks turning off both “Watchmen” devotees and potential newcomers who might feel the show is trivializing racism’s painful legacy.

Damon Lindelof, who created the nine-episode series, was determined to explore the long history of — and current furor over — racial tensions in America in “Watchmen,” a direction he admits was a scary choice.

“That scared the [expletive] out of me,” he said. “But everybody I talked to thought it was a potentially exciting idea. It would need to be handed delicately and [responsibly]. Simultaneously, the show is about to drop and I’m still thinking, ‘Should we have done it?’ ” He smiled while adding, “Even though I’m well-intentioned, I’m probably going to step in it a bunch of times.”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
White racism over Black people in 1921 is a "fresh, progressive spin on the material"?

Sounds like something that happened every day.

Now a more ballsy storyline would a fresh take on history........... Whites had their asses kicked in, and Blacks were in power as slave masters.

Typical left wing "white man bad, black man good" garbage. I don't know why they feel the need to ruin every single IP on the planet.
It starts off like that but then it all seems like a front with a greater conspiracy at play to pit everyone against each other.
Regina King, Don Johnson, and Jeremy Irons were great in this. So much random stuff going on right now.

Last edited:

Joe T.

I was pulled in by the opening, even though I thought it could have used an extra line or two. Then it all fell completely apart for me.

That might have been the shallowest hour-long TV series premier I have ever seen and it was frustrating considering the material and the cast. I wasn't given much reason to get invested in any of the characters, good or bad - except the squid, I want to know more about them. The interrogation scene made me shake my head, the question about the American flag in particular. Was the intention to appeal to the leftist social media crowd that loves Kaepernick's anthem kneeling and thinks there are white supremacists around every corner?

The music from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross might have been its only saving grace for me.

Loved the movie and expected HBO to do this some justice, but that opening episode killed off most of my interest.

Manus

Yeah this was absolutely awful. I'll watch episode two to see where it goes.

Music was dope though since Reznor and Ross are the best ever.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Yeah, I'm just not going to watch this.

I loved the OG Watchmen, the film was an ok adaption, and I'm good with that.

As someone of mixed race, this narrative is too tired for me to give it any more time of day.

Jon Neu

Banned
Watchmen is overrated as fuck.

Remember Michael from Lost? That black dude that was the father of Walt. The actor accused the Lost staff of being racist because he wasn't given more time.

Lindelof could have told the tale of false racism accusations.

Big fan of the original graphic novel. The film was OK.
Hard pass on this.

Tired of the narrative of prejudice being an issue - yet only ever focusing on one or two types of prejudice.
Which, ironically, is its own form of prejudice.

Shrap

Damn. Truly stunning and brave stuff here.

He is humble even though he knows how much he can change the world with this bold strategy. Let's see if it pays off for him.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Damon Lindelof in charge of an HBO Watchmen show is even more dismaying than the 18,000th attempt at dredging up racial issues to make relations worse.

How do these people fail upwards so spectacularly?

Last edited:

Mendax89

This is Watchmen in name only. This first epsiode is boring, incoherent, breaks continuity (if you believe it is a sequel not a reboot) and full of 'member berries. The only other thing it does is pound home that "Racism & Police Brutality" bad. How this made it to series is beyond comprehension.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I always wondered if black people actually like slavery/oppression being brought up in every media thing involving black people.
indeed, the role is kind of forced on them throughout mainstream media. white people are addicted to black suffering. outside of athletics/music/etc., it is one of the few roles allowed by white society for straight black men. so here we go again w this white creator just peddling that money making stereotype.

Lindelof seems to be talking up a storm trying to generate buzz for his crap. last week he was trying to drag Moore's name into this, suggesting he cast a curse on him, when all Moore wants is to be left alone.

Damon seems like a pretty exploitative dude, hoping he does or says something controversial to get his series free promotion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom