• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: A black blues musician has a unique hobby: Befriending white supremacists

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

That neo nazi marketing is effective when neo nazis murder people and people try and turn against one of the anti-nazi groups.

Those same people are in this thread.

Hot, hot takes.

It's like you didn't read the thread to understand why.
I understand why. I also understand that people jumped on it and started whining before anyone here even said anything anyone in here is whining about.

Call it a hot take if you want, but it's clearly the truth.
Only you could be so fucking stupid to not understand context.
Like I said, I understand the context, but no one in here even did anything to provide the context people are complaining about before they started complaining.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Because we've done this thread like twice before.

Nobody has an issue with his efforts. The problem is the implied idea that it's the responsibility of minorities to win over their oppressors, and when people say stupid shit about how effective he is, and how if we talked to each other we could make progress. None of the above is true.

In fact, if white people took the lead on racial oppression and actually made it unacceptable to be a racist in this country, we could have effectively stamped out racism a long fucking time ago. The issue shouldn't be "look at this awesome black guy changing the minds of racists, let's focus on that." it should be, "Why aren't the people least likely to be discriminated against racism doing everything they can ti stop it?"

What's especially funny about seeing this story now is that unlike the last few times it was posted, we weren't dealing with actual Neo Nazis with torches and yelling about blood and soil having large demonstrations that get people killed. Miss me with talking to any of those "people" right now.

The maddening thing about the bolded is that it answers its own question: They're the least likely to he discriminated against, so they have no compulsion to do everything they can to stop it. If the roles were reversed, you bet your ass they would be fighting to their dying breadth to end their oppression.

It's the lack of empathy that is literally and figuratively killing my people. And when the hatred that oppressed us boils over, and violence erupts like in Charlotte, we get "feel good," stories like this, and 99% of people miss the implied subtext that the onus should be on black people to end racism, and that if they'd just reach out to the people that don't even see them as human beings, things would have been solved a long time ago.

I can appreciate what this guy is doing. Thing is, there are over 300 million people in the United States. Over 70% of them are white. He'd have to befriend a few million racists to begin to make a dent, and even then, those people more than likely only see HIM as "one of the good ones." I guarantee that courtesy and invitations to dinner doesn't extend to the millions of other black people in this country. As soon as a FOX news segment highlights black looters at the next riot, they'll slip back into old habits. They always do.

Minorities need white allies. Period. Things aren't going to change until angry Facebook posts about ending bigotry and hatred go beyond just words, but reasonable action. And reasonable action taken by white allies.

Ozigizo

I understand why. I also understand that people jumped on it and started whining before anyone here even said anything anyone in here is whining about.

Like I said, I understand the context, but no one in here even did anything to provide the context people are complaining about before they started complaining.

Lol, what?

This is drivel. "I know what these people knew before they knew it, and know they didn't know anything!"

This thread comes up EVERY 6 months or so. It seems like you're the one with no context.

FOH

It seems like every year when some white supremacist group does something hateful enough to get news coverage, we get op-eds dedicated to this guy.

Like, stop. It's fucking offensive at this point. It's like low-key blaming white supremacy on the black people who don't go out their way to play the Magical Negro trope for a racist.

Yeah, no one mentioned the context for all of 9 posts.

This is the third thread about this man in recent history, not to mention countless mentions of him in other threads regarding protesting and dealing with white supremacists.

If you want to pretend there's not an ongoing conversation to make yourself feel smarter than other posters then fine, but don't be surprised when called out.

This is the third thread about this man in recent history, not to mention countless mentions of him in other threads regarding protesting and dealing with white supremacists.

If you want to pretend there's not an ongoing conversation to make yourself feel smarter than other posters then fine, but don't be surprised when called out.

Don't even give him that, because he was clearly talking out of his ass.

That's cause it ain't the first time posters here have heard about him.

...Or the second time...

No lies detected.

Lol, what?

This is drivel. "I know what these people knew before they knew it, and know they didn't know anything!"

FOH
How is it drivel? Someone posted a nice story about a man fighting bigotry and your first instinct was to bitch and moan. You quite literally immediately did what I posted happened.

If anything is drivel, it's the nonsense you have in quotation marks up there, which is so far off from what I said that I question your reading comprehension. I didn't claim I predicted anyone doing anything or that I knew what people were going to say before they said it. Ironically, that would be the behavior shown by everyone preemptively complaining about "Both sides" people before anyone said anything like that. I made an observation about what already happened.
So? Not everyone is on here all the time, sorry you already know a bunch of stories that have been posted, but that doesn't really mean
that starting an argument no one made yet is reasonable behavior.

If you didn't want to hear peoples opinions about this article or read about this person again you could, you know, not click on the thread.

How is it drivel? Someone posted a nice story about a man fighting bigotry and your first instinct was to bitch and moan. You quite literally immediately did what I posted happened.

If anything is drivel, it's the nonsense you have in quotation marks up there, which is so far off from what I said that I question your reading comprehension. I didn't claim I predicted anyone doing anything or that I knew what people were going to say before they said it. Ironically, that would be the behavior shown by everyone preemptively complaining about "Both sides" people before anyone said anything like that. I made an observation about what already happened.

So what you're saying is tales from your ass. Got it.

What exactly did we say when we "bitched and moaned"? You're completely skipping past the point we're making. You making it sound like we just whining for the sake of it with no underlying observations or points about this story or how it's being used to push a narrative. You're not even taking the time to disagree with it point-by-point. You're not discussing this in good faith.

So? Not everyone is on here all the time, sorry you already know a bunch of stories that have been posted, but that doesn't really mean
that starting an argument no one made yet is reasonable behavior.

If you didn't want to hear peoples opinions about this article or read about this person again you could, you know, not click on the thread.

You haven't even given anything resembling a coherent opinion on the story. You're just defecating on posters responses. Disagree all you want but our reasoning has been laid out. Now if you too much of an intellectual coward to break our reasoning down point by point that's cool. But don't pretend you're doing anything other than bitching your damned self.

What exactly did we say when we "bitched and moaned"? You're completely skipping past the point we're making. You making it sound like we just whining for the sake of it with no underlying observations or points about this story or how it's being used to push a narrative. You're not even taking the time to disagree with it point-by-point. You're not discussing this in good faith.
There are plenty of posts in here already mentioning "Both sides" and people talking about how they can't wait until people come in here to bring it up in regards to the article.

That is quite literally people whining for the sake of it. It's them preemptively whining. Literally no one in the beginning of this thread, nor the article push this narrative. So the people jumping in to immediately complain just bring their negative experiences with what is, at it's core, a nice article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of something that wasn't even present in this thread yet.

You haven't even given anything resembling a coherent opinion on the story. You're just defecating on posters responses. Disagree all you want but our reasoning has been laid out. Now if you too much of an intellectual coward to break our reasoning down point by point that's cool. But don't pretend you're doing anything other than bitching your damned self.
My point isn't that it's unreasonable to be annoyed at people using something like this to push a narrative you don't like. My point is maybe people should actually wait until that narrative pops up before turning the thread into that.

NoName999

Okay white folk stanning for this guy:

If someone wanted YOU dead, joined an organization that wanted YOU dead, and gleefully wished that YOU would die, would YOU have an open conversation with him and see that he's human?

No? Then why suggest black people do it towards the fucking Klan?

Here's an idea, maybe it should be white people should be telling these racist white people that their views are wrong. And not let a minority risk his/her fucking life.

Ozigizo

There are plenty of posts in here already mentioning "Both sides" and people talking about how they can't wait until people come in here to bring it up in regards to the article.

That is quite literally people whining for the sake of it. It's them preemptively whining. Literally no one in the beginning of this thread, nor the article push this narrative. So the people jumping in to immediately complain just bringing their negative experiences with what is, at it's core, a nice article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of something that wasn't even present in this thread yet.

So you didn't read the thread is what I'm getting from this post.

You are a bad faith poster.

Aselith

Umm, if your fanning of flames starts a forest fire, you should absolutely be held accountable. Good on you for converting racists but also fuck off, dude.

Daingurse

Okay white folk stanning for this guy:

If someone wanted YOU dead, joined an organization that wanted YOU dead, and gleefully wished that YOU would die, would YOU have an open conversation with him and see that he's human?

No? Then why suggest black people do it towards the fucking Klan?

Here's an idea, maybe it should be white people should be telling these racist white people that their views are wrong. And not let a minority risk his/her fucking life.

The onus ain't on us to reach out to these people. Shit is fucking infuriating.

That is quite literally people whining for the sake of it. It's them preemptively whining. Literally no one in the beginning of this thread, nor the article push this narrative. So you're just bringing your negative experiences with what is, at it's core, a nice article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of something that wasn't even present in this thread yet.

So you still don't actually have a retort for the reasoning posters have laid out and are just thread-shitting? Got it.

I'll be the adult here and actually make a cogent argument: The reasoning the article isn't 'nice' to me is because it reeks of white-moderate-fantasy that the social onus is on the Black man to be patient and ever loving in order to help rid the misguided White man of his bigotry. It's only a feel-good story if you're fucking myopic like shit. Take a step back and see how it's being used in a wider context.

That shit only feels good to folks that get to read the article, smile and go right back to their snow-globe of a life where they are unconcerned w/ being black on the day to day in a nation awash w/ folks that hate their guts.

The onus ain't on us to reach out to these people. Shit is fucking infuriating.

This. This. This. That's my point.

My point isn't that it's unreasonable to be annoyed at people using something like this to push a narrative you don't like. My point is maybe people should actually wait until that narrative pops up before turning the thread into that.

So you're bitching because of a technicality? This ain't court mofo, lol. I don't have to wait until evidence has been submitted to raise an objection when I know god damn well how his story gets used by White-moderates and folks that wanna use this to say "See, BLM...this is what ya'll need to do. Hugs not protests!"

Umm, if your fanning of flames starts a forest fire, you should absolutely be held accountable. Good on you for converting racists but also fuck off, dude.

DarylDavisKKK.jpg

So you still don't actually have a retort for the reasoning posters have laid out and are just thread-shitting? Got it.

I'll be the adult here and actually make a cogent argument: The reasoning the article isn't 'nice' to me is because it reeks of white-moderate-fantasy that the social onus is on the Black man to be patient and ever loving in order to help rid the misguided White man of his bigotry. It's only a feel-good story if you're fucking myopic like shit. Take a step back and see how it's being used in a wider context.

That shit only feels good to folks that get to read the article, smile and go right back to their snow-globe of a life where they are unconcerned w/ being black on the day to day in a nation awash w/ folks that hate their guts.

This. This. This. That's my point.
I don't even disagree with the points people are making. It's just extremely odd that people are making them when no one in this thread said anything that went against the points they're making in the first place.

As for your second paragraph, you're kind of proving my point. You see what is a positive article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of it. Aspects that aren't even present in the article you're describing.

MUnited83

For you.
Yuck, normalizing human beings by having a conversation with them. Disgusting.

We must excommunicate them from all discussions while ridiculing them at every turn, also we must reject all political moderates who are unwilling to adhere to this all or nothing philosophy. Only then can we truly begin to lose every election.

This guy seems like good people and i dont really care about the "media agenda" of sharing the story, weird to start playing the media conspiracy card

I'd rather not have a conversation with people that base their philosophy on murderers and lynchers and that wish that the times they could do that without consequences could come back.

Might as well start a conversation with motherfucking ISIS. That'll go well.

Cranzor

As for your second paragraph, you're kind of proving my point. You see what is a positive article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of it. Aspects that aren't even present in the article you're describing.

Is it really that bizarre to think about the context of this article and its message in our current climate? Why is this such a stretch for you?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hot, hot takes.

It's like you didn't read the thread to understand why.

I doubt he wants to understand. To him, we're all just trying to detract form his enjoyment of a model magic negro and the idea that white supremacists are just like normal folks!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did it take a long time to build that strawman?

No strawman here. It's clear as day from your behavior in this thread (and supposedly others if certain posters are to be believed). Congrats on starting some bullshit and making this thread all about you, though. Must be fun.

I don't even disagree with the points people are making. It's just extremely odd that people are making them when no one in this thread said anything that went against the points they're making in the first place.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere. So you're more concerned with posters bitching @ no one and not what they're actually saying? Strange but ok.

There's nothing positive in the article to me. It's not what's in the article it's how it's been used for YEARS.

No strawman here. It's clear as day from your behavior in this thread (and supposedly others if certain posters are to be believed). Congrats on starting some bullshit and making this thread all about you, though. Must be fun.
I don't see how I'm making anything about me. I'm only answering to people who are talking to me.

In fact, if you want to continue the conversation, we can do it in a PM. That way we aren't clogging up the thread with posts you feel are off topic.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere. So you're more concerned with posters bitching @ no one and not what they're actually saying? Strange but ok.

There's nothing positive in the article to me. It's not what's in the article it's how it's been used for YEARS.
We can continue this through PMs as well if you'd like. If I am distracting the thread in a way people feel is off topic it would probably be the best way to continue.
You barged in with this mega-shit post:

Don't act shocked or confused with the reaction you getting.
I understand why people are talking with me. My point was that I don't feel like the thread is "About me" or that other people that aren't in our conversation aren't able to have the conversation they want to have. It feels like we are having a conversation within a thread, which is what being on GAF always feels like when you get into a conversation.

I don't see how I'm making anything about me. I'm only answering to people who are talking to me.

In fact, if you want to continue the conversation, we can do it in a PM. That way we aren't clogging up the thread with posts you feel are off topic.

We can continue this through PMs as well if you'd like. If I am distracting the thread in a way people feel is off topic it would probably be the best way to continue.

You barged in with this mega-shit post:
Only GAF can take a news story like this and turn it into a whiny, negative mess of a thread.

Don't act shocked or confused with the reaction you getting.

I certainly don't speak for everyone but I'm enjoying y'all's dialog actually. I wouldn't mind if it continued.

psyfi

Banned
I think this work is 100% valid, worthwhile, and amazing. Tremendous change can come when you reach out to someone in this way, even people with extreme bigoted beliefs.

It's by no means the only way to combat fascism, though. Antifa and black and brown power movements are just as valid and important -- violent and non-violent both.

Edit : Forgot to mention: the lack of condemnation on Trump isn't helping anyone, though.

I'd rather not have a conversation with people that base their philosophy on murderers and lynchers and that wish that the times they could do that without consequences could come back.

Might as well start a conversation with motherfucking ISIS. That'll go well.

Nobody would ever ask people to do this.

Nobody would ever ask surviving families of ISIS violence if they forgive their attackers, either.

Curious that ISIS and ISIS sympathizers are put into the exact box they should be, but people constantly find ways to empathize and sympathize with nazis and white supremacists.

Hmm.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

That is quite literally people whining for the sake of it. It's them preemptively whining. Literally no one in the beginning of this thread, nor the article push this narrative. So the people jumping in to immediately complain just bring their negative experiences with what is, at it's core, a nice article and immediately focus on the negative aspects of something that wasn't even present in this thread yet.

The narrative pops all the god dammed time

Caelus

well... white people tell muslim people to talk to ISIS all the time, as if every person who might be arab has them on speed dial

On the other hand, it would be rather productive if more white people were to confront their racist family members and genuinely call them out on their shitty beliefs.

I do this, and I'm not even white.

ISOM

Nobody would ever ask surviving families of ISIS violence if they forgive their attackers, either.

Curious that ISIS and ISIS sympathizers are put into the exact box they should be, but people constantly find ways to empathize and sympathize with nazis and white supremacists.

Hmm.

It hits a lot more closer to home for white moderates. They probably have that racist relative or hell have had racist thoughts themselves. That's why their language is so forgiving and accomodating. ISIS though we have to bomb the shit out of those guys.

Hmm.

Quite a quandary indeed.

Weird that this never gets mentioned as part of the story

It would probably be a small asterisk, with even smaller print saying "results may vary."

This guy has been seeing a resurgence of attention lately. I like him and his approach. People are much less likely to blindly hate a whole group of people once they actually know people in that group. It's much more effective than pretending people don't exist.

Reading from some of the quotes they just pretend he and only he isn't Black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom