• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1.8 million votes were cast for the Smash ballot, more info might be coming

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
He'll show up in Virtua Fighter influenced games before Smash.

eLMvMBwHJV1zF_l.jpg

Fixed

Jawmuncher

I personally blame the games more then I blame sakurai. Ridley needs more development. How about that manga everyone brings up, put something like that in an actual game. People hate on Other M but I liked seeing Ridley change forms.

jrDev

Replace FE character No. 7341 with Shovel Knight and I would've been so damn happy. Still awesome to have Bayonetta and Cloud though.
That's actually really weird shovel knight didn't make it...someone needs to let Sakurai know we are tired of fire emblem characters now...

Is joining the fight of whoever beat him up the most what Ridley does best?
Yeah, may as well say K. Rool being a mini costume is a sign Sakurai really cares about the character

I love how people still try to come up with arbitrary rules behind certain decisions as if it followed any hard, consistent logic. Not to mention a new form of the "wasted character slot" argument of old, LMAO

SALT BROS.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ridley is also in Guild Wars 2 :p

Also if we're going for character redesign for Rool... is he going to become a moe-tan? Rool-tan?

That's actually really weird shovel knight didn't make it...someone needs to let Sakurai know we are tired of fire emblem characters now...

For a character that doesn't even have his game released in Japan (the place where Smash is developed in), is an indie, no real lasting icon on the platforming genre unlike Bayonetta in stylish action, and not really having a moveset unique as Corrin for DLC, it's pretty obvious that he's not in.

Edit: There are arguments for Marth and Roy in Melee, but they got in because Sakurai simply likes Fire Emblem, their movesets brought something unique to Smash, and they were made in Japan.

And they sorta kinda introduced the west to the fire emblem series.

That too.

Boss Doggie

Even if Corrin didn't get in you won't get Shovel Knight. Hell, I'd argue we'd not get anything at all.

ffdgh

For a character that doesn't even have his game released in Japan (the place where Smash is developed in), is an indie, no real lasting icon on the platforming genre unlike Bayonetta in stylish action, and not really having a moveset unique as Corrin for DLC, it's pretty obvious that he's not in.

Edit: There are arguments for Marth and Roy in Melee, but they got in because Sakurai simply likes Fire Emblem, their movesets brought something unique to Smash, and they were made in Japan.

And they sorta kinda introduced the west to the fire emblem series.

I doubt Sakurai hates Ridley, but it's obvious that he's not a big fan of the Metroid series. It took us until Brawl to have a stage resembling an actual Metroid-series location, and even then none of the stage concepts were actually Metroid-esque until boss battle fest Pyrosphere in Smash 4 - for a series that is most prominently about exploration of its locations. During the development of Brawl Sakurai wanted to add a second Metroid character and the best he could come up with was Samus, a second time, acting completely OOC and with a moveset that was 95% made up.

I would suggest making him play Metroid Prime 1 all the way through to change his mind, but then again this is the same man who likes George Lucas. So no accounting for taste y'know.

I personally blame the games more then I blame sakurai. Ridley needs more development. How about that manga everyone brings up, put something like that in an actual game. People hate on Other M but I liked seeing Ridley change forms.
Why would character development matter tremendously for a character to be in Smash Bros.? The headline fighters of the series are Mario, Link, Pikachu, and Kirby.

Even if Corrin didn't get in you won't get Shovel Knight. Hell, I'd argue we'd not get anything at all.
I'd say we would definitely have gotten something for the dev time of Corrin, even if it was just Wolf or somesuch.

Boss Doggie

And here I thought the G. Lucas shmultz wouldn't seep here.

He doesn't "like" him, he respects him as much as he respect other creators.

I'd say we would definitely have gotten something for the dev time of Corrin, even if it was just Wolf or somesuch.

Probably? But more than enough we've seen that rather than shift focus to another similar work they'd instead provide something else entirely.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
And here I thought the G. Lucas shmultz wouldn't seep here.

He doesn't "like" him, he respects him as much as he respect other creators.

Probably? But more than enough we've seen that rather than shift focus to another similar work they'd instead provide something else entirely.

What does it matter if he likes him or not? I don't think he has ever met him so he cant really like or dislike the guy sincerely, why would he even dislike him for? Cause he made some movies that some people dislike?
Who started this argument?

Boss Doggie

The famitsu article had your usual folks conflating Sakurai with Lucas because "he respects him".

ash_ag

I don't care for Mii fighters as I find them to be boring.

I mean why would I want to play as myself or a poorly design fake character? When the smash roster has better and more exciting characters.

Playing as one and playing as the other are not mutually exclusive options.

I'm so glad about Bayo. She's one of the few characters I'm probably going to buy. Still curious about the Top 5 of each region.

And thank god it isn't Snake. Boring character and the last two Metal Gear Solid games were gigantic pieces of shit.

latest

Lord Fredrik seems more interesting than Rool.
The whole Ice theme tropical freeze went with could make him have an interesting move set too.

But sadly he came to late to the party.
Fredrik's boss fight in DKCTF is literally a combination of K. Rool's boss fights from all 3 of Rare's DKC's. Moveset wise they'd literally be the same character, right down to having an identical build and a large weapon they shoot alternating projectiles out of.

Neiteio

Been busy with Christmas festivities, but just wanted to say (for the billionth time) I am SO HAPPY Bayonetta is in Smash. This is my "Mega Man for Ash Paulsen" moment. Well, this and the Koopalings being included with Bowser Jr.

jrDev

Isn't Shovel knight getting a amiibo too for gods sakes? If Sakurai adds any more FE characters in the Smash5 I'm going to scream (and I've never screamed at a game before like that). Was another FE character put in because of the ballot?

Regiruler

Really? I don't know why I thought he was Konami.

Would look weird on the CSS.

Ryu and Ryu.
Ninja Gaiden's NES origins are substantial enough that I could see acceptance for Ryu. Not much possible moveset differentiation from Greninja and Shiek though.

rhandino

Banned
Isn't Shovel knight getting a amiibo too for gods sakes? If Sakurai adds any more FE characters in the Smash5 I'm going to scream (and I've never screamed at a game before like that). Was another FE character put in because of the ballot?
So? Chibi-Robo got one and I bet that we could probably get Chrom in Smash 5 since he was the Lord that everyone expected from Awakening and tbh he is far more popular that some of the flops that are continously peddled in these threads.

Cerium

Ninja Gaiden's NES origins are substantial enough that I could see acceptance for Ryu. Not much possible moveset differentiation from Greninja and Shiek though.

The other thing about Ryu is that his design is kind of generic. He could be any ninja. I guess that's kind of the point.

It occurs to me that if they don't want Ryu or Kasumi, a Fatal Frame character would be an easy Tecmo rep and promote the exclusives too.

That would cover all the major publishers except Konami which isn't really a major publisher anymore.

L Thammy

I genuinely thought Lord Frederik was supposed to be a warm-up to the final boss. He looks pretty much like a regular Waldough to me.

Off the top of my head:

Whirlwind blade
Windmill shuriken (which can be jumped over to keep in play)
Shadow clones
Flying firewheel (Anti-air)
Izuna drop (not a NES thing, but it's what Ryu does in fighting games)

Weirdly, I'm not super interested in Ryu Hayabusa even though I'm completely in love with Ninja Gaiden for the NES. Oda Nobunaga would be a hilarious Koei Tecmo rep, conceptually, but I'm not sure I'd actually want to see him either.

Top Bottom