• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films To See In April (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Before 2012 kicks into high gear with Cannes and the summer blockbuster season launching next month, we've still got a number of notable releases in April. A few film festival holdovers and likely the best Joss Whedon project of the year are among the highlights. Check out our matinee mentions followed by the ten must-sees below.

Matinees: Titanic 3D (4/4), American Reunion (4/6), Comic-Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope (4/6), The Hunter (4/6), Keyhole (4/6), The Lady (4/13), Monsieur Lazhar (4/13), Whore's Glory (4/20), Safe (4/27), Elles (4/27)

To See:

10. Detention (Joseph Kahn; April 13th)

Synopsis: A slasher-movie killer frightens a group of teens during their senior year of high school.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Since its SXSW premiere the latest film from the director of Torque has been receiving divisive response and judging from its insane trailer, one can clearly see why. With comedy, action, sci-fi, drama, horror and more making up this genre blender, I'm certainly looking forward to see what madness Kahn has in store.

9. Marley (Kevin Macdonald; April 20th)

marley.jpg

Synopsis: A documentary on the life, music and legacy of Bob Marley.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: With his latest fictional effort, The Eagle, flopping Macdonald has smartly been recharging his batteries in the documentary field. He was behind curating last year's excellent crowd-sourced film Life in a Day and he returns this year will a smaller scope, an in-depth look at the life of Bob Marley. And could the release date be any more perfect?

8. Bernie (Richard Linklater; April 27th)

bernie.jpg

Synopsis: In small-town Texas, the local mortician strikes up a friendship with a wealthy widow, though when he kills her, he goes to great lengths to create the illusion that she's alive.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After a string of live-action duds it is great to see Jack Black return with a promising lead role in this dark comedy from Richard Linklater. With an above-average response at AFI Fest and SXSW, the film will hit limited release later this month.

7. Headhunters (Morten Tyldum; April 27th)

headhunters.jpg

Synopsis: An accomplished headhunter risks everything to obtain a valuable painting owned by a former mercenary.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: With talks of a remake already swirling about and the original director attached to his Hollywood debut, I look forward to seeing if the buzz is warranted on this slick foreign heist drama.

6. Lockout (James Mather, Stephen St. Leger; April 13th)

lockout1.jpg

Synopsis: A man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter from an outer space prison taken over by violent inmates.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: In what looks to be a kick-ass throwback to '80's actioners, this Escape From NY meets Die Hard sci-fi adventure should be a great appetizer to the stacked summer popcorn slate. If nothing else, Guy Pearce gets to lead a Hollywood blockbuster, something that needs to occur more often,

5. The Five-Year Engagement (Nicholas Stoller; April 27th)

five_year.jpg

Synopsis: A comedy that charts the ups and downs of an engaged couple's relationship.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Nicholas Stoller fits perfectly into the Judd Apatow camp, mixing nearly non-stop laughs with a layer of charm and drama. After Forgetting Sarah Marshall and Get Him Into the Greek, he looks to have crafted his most endearing film yet, re-teaming with Jason Segel and adding the alluring Emily Blunt in this look at prolonged nuptials.

4. The Pirates! A Band of Misfits (Peter Lord, Jeff Newitt; April 27th)

pirates.jpg

Synopsis: Pirate Captain sets out on a mission to defeat his rivals Black Bellamy and Cutlass Liz for the Pirate of the year Award. The quest takes Captain and his crew from the shores of Blood Island to the foggy streets of Victorian London.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Any feature film is a labor of love, but few are as painstakingly detailed as those from Aardman. Their next stop-motion animation takes us on to the high seas with this pirate tale. Already coming off strong reception in the UK, the film is arriving in US theaters at the end of the month.

3. Damsels In Distress (Whit Stillman; April 6th)

damsels.jpg

Synopsis: A trio of girls set out to change the male-dominated environment of the Seven Oaks college campus, and to rescue their fellow students from depression, grunge and low standards of every kind.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: If you've seen any Whit Stillman film before then you're either on board with his style or far in the other direction. With his latest, teaming Greta Gerwig with Analeigh Tipton, Aubrey Plaza and more, the director returns after a 14-year break and continues the same sharp, witty dialogue with his refreshingly relaxed tone.

2. Sound of My Voice (Zal Batmanglij; April 27th)

sound_voice.jpg

Synopsis: A journalist and his girlfriend get pulled in while they investigate a cult whose leader claims to be from the future.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After premiering alongside last year's cult masterpiece Martha Marcy May Marlene at Sundance, Fox Searchlight have spaced out the release of their other highly praised drama dealing with similar subject matter. On the verge of her Hollywood breakout, Brit Marling stars in the drama which looks to take a more in-depth look at this lifestyle.

1. The Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard; April 13th)

cabin_woods.jpg

Synopsis: Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: Since it's hushed bow at BNAT last year, Drew Goddard and Joss Whedon's horror flick has been met with enthusiastic praise, yet spare details to go along with the buzz. Once you see the film, you'll be glad to have known very little, as every scene adds a new layer of mystery up until it's supremely satisfying conclusion. Know nothing and experience what'll likely rival any upcoming summer blockbuster in pure fun. Read our spoiler-free review from SXSW here.

What film are you most looking forward to this month?

Kapura

Banned
the only film i'm getting hype about is The Raid, which is opening near me in a bit less than two weeks.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Lockout. Because of this:

If nothing else, Guy Pearce gets to lead a Hollywood blockbuster, something that needs to occur more often.

He's on the very short list of actors whose films I will see solely because they're in them.

Carbonox

Never heard of Lockout before. Sounds awesome!

Anyway, the only film I'm seeing is Battleship (comes out next week in the UK). :p

How scary is Cabin in the Woods? There seems to be a nice amount of humor and sci-fi in the trailer... but is it straight up horror?

The girlfriend hates scary movies, so I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can take her to this.

freshair

Sound of My Voice (they taught me the secret handshake at wonderocn lol)
American Reunion
Lockout (wasn't hyped initially, but the wondercon panel made me want to see it)
5 Year Engagement
Titanic 3D (a must for me. saw in theatres when i was 11 i think for the first time)
Damsels in Distress
Cabin in the Woods (dont normally like scary movies, but it's gotten such good hype that i feel like i must)

Yes!

Looks bad, oh well.

I heard it embraces its cheesiness and a really good time.

How scary is Cabin in the Woods? There seems to be a nice amount of humor and sci-fi in the trailer... but is it straight up horror?

The girlfriend hates scary movies, so I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can take her to this.

Yes, there are scary parts and a good amount of gore. But it is the fun kind, not really sadistic like lots of films in the genre nowadays.

The Raid (opens in Montreal this week) Lockout, and Cabin in The Woods for me.

Yes!

Looks bad, oh well.

I would be interested to know the disconnect between that description of the trailer, and trailer itself. What part of the trailer looked "bad" when compared to the description?

Ah I went to high school with the girl on the right in the Damsels In Distress picture... Cool to see her getting more work.

I'll be seeing Cabin In The Woods Day One.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lockout better not get The Raid treatment. I'd like to actually be able to see it in the theatre.

Hey Sony, release The Raid full on already you stupid fucks.

Anyways this month Lockout (hopefully) and Cabin in the Woods.

Ah I went to high school with the girl on the right in the Damsels In Distress picture... Cool to see her getting more work.

I'll be seeing Cabin In The Woods Day One.

Nice! She was possibly my favorite part of the film. I really hope she gets more roles. That name (Megalyn Echikunwoke) is pretty unique, wonder if she'll change it.

Lockout better not get The Raid treatment. I'd like to actually be able to see it in the theatre.

It's going wide thanks to FilmDistrict (the awesome DRIVE distributors). Any other distributor and that shit would have been limited.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I would be interested to know the disconnect between that description of the trailer, and trailer itself. What part of the trailer looked "bad" when compared to the description?

Trailer's emphasis is on cheap cg and wooden lines from Guy. No badassery to speak of.

Lockout and Cabin in the Woods for me.

I'll probably eventually see American Reunion for the nostalgia trip but not in theaters.

Misfits

Neo Member
i'm a little perplexed by the omission of the avengers. isn't anyone on this forum looking forward to it? i i'm counting the days down until it's released.

25 days left. :D :D :D

I've seen Detention at the Fantasia Festival last summer here in Montreal. One of the funniest movie I've seen. One of the weirdest too!

shira

i'm a little perplexed by the omission of the avengers. isn't anyone on this forum looking forward to it? i i'm counting the days down until it's released.

25 days left. :D :D :D

This is an American release date thread, we get it on the holiday May 4th weekend

big ander

I feel like most months this year have had a fair handful of films I kind of want to see. This month is worse in that regard because it has barely any of those. Maybe Five-Year Engagement, Damsels in Distress, and Sound of My Voice?

But while there aren't a ton of films I want to see, there's CABIN IN THE WOODS and THE RAID, two films I've been so excited for for months and months. I wish the CABIN trailer that plays all the time at the theaters divulged less (though I guess I don't know anymore than you could already gleam from the image that accompanies the film in this thread), but if other reactions are to be believed I'll still be plenty surprised. With THE RAID I know what to expect and I couldn't be more excited.

Raxus

Great month. Sadly I think I will only be able to catch Pirates! and Lockout.

I will check out Cabin in the Woods if I can and Detention on DVD.

big ander

I'd think about seeing Detention if its filmmaker didn't seem like such a childish twat. I've seen fair critics give negative reviews of Detention only for him to berate them for months afterwards.

Solo

Not a single goddamn new release. Only Titanic.

Also:

headhunters.jpg

LOL

EDIT: wait, Ill be seeing American Reunion. 1 new film, 1 re-release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom