• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Films to See in February (what are you watching?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I loved Hail, Caesar! It's really everything I wanted. A loving ode to the Golden Age while never losing the Coens' sensibilities. Totally agree with our review:

[Review] Hail, Caesar!

Dozens of films try to copy the Coens every year, and yet no one ever comes close. They have developed such a delicate (and yet fluid) witches’ brew of talent behind and in front of the camera, and a writing style that’s consistently funny and melancholy (often at the same time) that it seems impossible to replicate.

Hail, Caesar! is a film that could only ever be made by the Coens. Just as the brothers themselves love to present dialectics about the duality of triviality and seriousness, so too does Hail, Caesar! constantly skate back and forth between feeling slight and monumental.

That's a nice review. Happy to hear this isn't one of their rare misfires! It'd be pretty impossible to top Llewyn Davis, but everything I've seen for this looks fantastic none the less.

Yeah, Inside Llewyn Davis is masterpiece. I wouldn't go that far here, but it's so. much. fun.

Vanish

Nothing there really catches my attention. Just Deadpool for me this month. Maybe I'll catch Zoolander, Hail Caesar and Triple 9 on Blu ray.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot about Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. How's that? Anyone seen it yet?

IronRinn

Hail, Caesar!, The Witch, and Triple9 for sure (mainly the first two), but I had not heard of A War and Rams, both of which look interesting.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Planing to watch Deadpool. Zoolander 2 can wait till it comes on TV or Netflix.

Edit: Oh wait, I forgot about Pride, Prejudice and Zombies. How's that? Anyone seen it yet?

Judging by the trailer and the fact it's Pride and Prejudice but with Zombies shoehorned in I say it's probably terrible.

Went to see The Witch during TIFF. It has an atmospherically enveloping feeling of rising tension that kind of swallows you up while you watch. Personally, I enjoyed Demon more for this, but your mileage may very. I look forward to Egger's next work.

Interested in DeadPool, Hail, and potentially Zoolander. Not sure I'll enjoy two of those however.

Deadpool is the only one in February and Triple 9, although it comes out in March here in Sweden.

And Hail, Caesar. is a musical right? if so, i have a question. Why do people like musicals?

Deadpool, Hail Caesar and Zoolander 2 are the givens for me. Triple 9's trailer didn't impress me, didn't realize it would be good. Might see that too.

Deadpool is the only one in February and Triple 9, although it comes out in March here in Sweden.

And Hail, Caesar. is a musical right? if so, i have a question. Why do people like musicals?

No, not a musical. But there are 3-4 musical sections.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was the key for me to loving musicals. It's on Hulu+ if you have that. Highly recommended.

Bronx-Man

Banned
No, not a musical. But there are 3-4 musical sections.

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg was the key for me to loving musicals. It's on Hulu+ if you have that. Highly recommended.

How would you compare it to the other recent Coen Bros. films? One of the better ones or no?

Toothless

Hail, Caesar!
Deadpool (I'm not excited for it)
Zoolander 2
Eddie the Eagle

Probably some other stuff too, but I'm more catching up on 2015 movies I've missed.

How would you compare it to the other recent Coen Bros. films? One of the better ones or no?

It very much feels like a culmination of their work. It's certainly much more outwardly comedic than anything since Burn After Reading, but there is a darker underlying tone about the studio system and how it torments Eddie Mannix. I think it's something that will really blossom on future viewings. It's no A Serious Man or Inside Llewyn Davis, but it's hard to follow those. It's still like an A- for me, which is crazy high on my scale. I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom