• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p footage of FFXV tech demo

Probably gonna get flack for this, but that demo gives an impression of SE finally making a high-end PS3 title... or maybe WiiU (not the wireframe shots so much, but you get the point).

Well it is clearly WIP, but I think the foundations look very impressive. It does't seem their engine is fully up to spec yet anyway, if you go with what the have said. Look at the tech demo footage for instance. Personally, I think it looks more impressive than say Witcher 3, which already looks incredible. Running this on an ultra high end PC, I think it would beat out anything currently released in the PC space...I think IQ definitely adversely affects it at the moment, but nevertheless, what you are saying doesn't really make sense. For instance FFXIII was one of the best looking PS3 games, and X on WiiU while looking awesome, doesn't touch this technically.

LeleSocho

Banned
This game looks absolutely incredible, i never finished a FF game but this really makes me want to play it for hundreds of hours.

Too bad that the Luminos Engine is pretty much dead because aside from some pop-in/pop-out problems (which are probably given more for the platform than the engine) looks absolutely spectacular.
This is the Gears of War of this generation to me in terms of graphics.

LeleSocho

Banned
If not the game itself i at least hope that the engine is ported to pc, i want to see games that look like this with impeccable iq.

Hedge

Don't rule them out. It's still based on the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology, Fal'Cie are supposed to be in it, so we could see C'ieth.

Really? I haven't heard them mention Fal'Cie since they changed to XV. I hope you're right, though. There was nothing wrong behind the mythos of FNC. It was actually pretty good and with some interesting concepts. I'd be pretty pleased to see them actually do more with the FNC mythology. :)

REALLY hope they are able to get a handle on the aliasing and shimmering happening on screen.

Could just be the compressed small window causing that but i wont know till i get home and put it on my big screen

shimmering and aliasing like this is incredibly distracting, especially in an open world game. Hard to enjoy the expansive landscape when it looks like ants are crawling all over the background

Really? I haven't heard them mention Fal'Cie since they changed to XV. I hope you're right, though. There was nothing wrong behind the mythos of FNC. It was actually pretty good and with some interesting concepts. I'd be pretty pleased to see them actually do more with the FNC mythology. :)

I really like how l'Cie are implemented in Type-0, essentially as powerful champions branded by their respective nation's crystals.

I hope I can go to the opposite side of that lake and not have an invisible wall
You can, they do it in the video ;)

This game looks absolutely incredible, i never finished a FF game but this really makes me want to play it for hundreds of hours.

Too bad that the Luminos Engine is pretty much dead because aside from some pop-in/pop-out problems (which are probably given more for the platform than the engine) looks absolutely spectacular.
This is the Gears of War of this generation to me in terms of graphics.
They never said the engine is dead, that is just hyperbole after KHIII moved to UE4 (because the Luminous team is in Tokyo helping FFXV and cannot help the Osaka team with KH).

So far we know nothing what will become of the engine after this game.

raven777

better quality of the world map image
finalfantasyxvtechdemx4uc2.jpg

Can see some details in that supposed Accordo area..

RedSwirl

As a showcase of the game's sense of scale and graphics engine, this looks pretty damn impressive. Basically, it looks like an actual next-gen JRPG. Like, it looks to be taking JRPG traditions and applying them to next-gen tech and gameplay.

If I'm not mistaken this game isn't going to be one huge open world, but will in fact be split into large zones, kind of like Final Fantasy XII's zones, but much larger. If this is the average size of a zone then we could really be in for something. That one zone shows the potential for a fair variety of environments: A gas station, large forests, small buildings here and there. If Square Enix can actually get this running with areas this size filled with enemies and NPCs it could capture the old adventure feeling of JRPGs in a whole new, next-gen way.

It's good to see some natural light and dark nights outside driving sims.

I thought the same thing. The Lighting reminds me of ArmA, except this video doesn't seem to have ridiculous LOD and vegetation pop-in. With games like this and Metal Gear V, it looks like Japanese developers who have access to modern tech are moving towards natural, realistic lighting. Compare this to western open-world games that make heavy use of filters and moody lighting.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member

They don't have to call them fal'cie anyway. We never got to know who or what were the fal'cies in Type 0 were (they mentioned it in the Ultimania only I think) but it didn't mean they were not in the game.

Skilletor

I think Accordo's location and Tabata's statement about airships is pretty obvious.

There's no way to attack that city from the ground.

LeleSocho

Banned
They never said the engine is dead, that is just hyperbole after KHIII moved to UE4 (because the Luminous team is in Tokyo helping FFXV and cannot help the Osaka team with KH).

So far we know nothing what will become of the engine after this game.

I think Aeana or someone else said that some of the most important people responsible of the engine left because it was becoming a technical mess or something like that.
But i might be remembering it wrong so i'm sorry if anything i said is false.

Ishida

Banned
Probably gonna get flack for this, but that demo gives an impression of SE finally making a high-end PS3 title... or maybe WiiU (not the wireframe shots so much, but you get the point).

That looks nothing like a Wii U or PS3 game. FFXV looks a whole generation ahead of those machines.

On topic, here's a close up of Prompto's hair from his gameplay model. No cutscene, pure in-game, gameplay model. This is just INSANE.

i6eTBRF.jpg

EDIT: On the negative side, they need to correct that camera clipping through the models...

6gKZmIM.jpg

I think Aeana or someone else said that some of the most important people responsible of the engine left because it was becoming a technical mess or something like that.
But i might be remembering it wrong so i'm sorry if anything i said is false.

Some of the people responsible for creating the engine left. But the engine is not a "technical mess" (that is the hyperbole part), we just don't have a reason for the creators to have left, so people just assume the worst (if anything, it was more poor management than technical mess that caused them to leave).

The biggest problem with the engine currently is that the entire team that is still there has to help FFXV's development, maybe because they need to port everything from the old engine to the new one, maybe because the engine is not completely finished yet (You can see the start of the tech demo saying "Luminous 1.4" on the bottom, and Tabata said the final game will be on Luminous 2.0).

Not to say that the engine hasn't seen better days, but we can only assume it's dead after XV is out and they pass out sentence on the engine (which honestly, I don't think they will kill off Luminous, but who knows).

Well aside from the goblins which just look like imps, many enemies are high-tec knights, robots or actual beasts, such as the behemoth and the big yak-like beasts grazing in the fields.
The naga is a human head with jewelry on the body of a snake. It does look more "fantasy" than the other creature designs.

It could be pulled off great in an area that is more ancient or "forbidden", but it simply looked a bit odd out there in the middle of the field, that's all.
I think it looks pretty in line with most other FF games. I mean, even the worlds of FFVII and FFVIII had things like Dragon Riders, giant sentient Russian eggs, and living tribal/tiki masks:

If anything, the variety in style is normal, even for a more "modern" set FF world.

Besides, I see FFXV's world as being similar to that of FFI or FFV's worlds after history has passed to the point of post-industrialization and modernization of society. Modern era FFI and FFV worlds would probably look a LOT like FFXV's(Nagas, Garulas and all).

The only reason I'm sad it's not affiliated with the XIII-saga any longer is the fact that there's no longer any chance of Cie'th appearing. I really loved some of those creature designs. :(

Cie'th were one of those things tied to specific installments of the series. Even when FFXV was Versus, it was likely going to establish itself as being different than FFXIII(regarding it's interpretation of the myth). That one creation tale of the myth where the gods are depicted as symbols were genius in doing so. Making them as vague entities represented by symbols allows interpretation to differ. The way they "look" in FFXIII(as seen in FFXIII and LR) aren't how they HAVE to look in other games. That design is specific to FFXIII and FFXIII alone. That both makes the original(FFXIII design) unique while allows other installments to do something new with the look and take on the myth.

Hedge

I think it looks pretty in line with most other FF games. I mean, even the worlds of FFVII and FFVIII had things like Dragon Riders, giant sentient Russian eggs, and living tribal/tiki masks:

If anything, the variety in style is normal, even for a more "modern" set FF world.

Besides, I see FFXV's world as being similar to that of FFI or FFV's worlds after history has passed to the point of post-industrialization and modernization of society. Modern era FFI and FFV worlds would probably look a LOT like FFXV's(Nagas, Garulas and all).

While it is in line with previous FF installments, it's original tagline was "This is a Fantasy based on reality", so they could have opted to go away from this trend. Just because it's happened before, doesn't mean they have to do so again. In any case, just because previous games use too-fantastical enemies doesn't make my observation wrong. The design is more heavily fantasy than the others - especially since the first many Versus years the only enemies we saw were soldiers.

Besides I never said "ugh no god how terrible I hate this this totally isn't final fantasy". I just remarked it looked more heavily fantasy-inspired, and I was surprised since - given the otherwise realistic environment - I hadn't expected this.

Cie'th were one of those things tied to specific installments of the series. Even when FFXV was Versus, it was likely going to establish itself as being different than FFXIII(regarding it's interpretation of the myth). That one creation tale of the myth where the gods are depicted as symbols were genius in doing so. Making them as vague entities represented by symbols allows interpretation to differ. The way they "look" in FFXIII(as seen in FFXIII and LR) aren't how they HAVE to look in other games. That design is specific to FFXIII and FFXIII alone. That both makes the original(FFXIII design) unique while allows other installments to do something new with the look and take on the myth.

I have no idea why you're going off here. I never said Cie'th had to look like that at all? I just said I'd like to see them return since I liked their overall sombre crystal/stone designs. I'm not sure why you're seeing this as such an area of conflict. It was a pretty innocent remark.

I don't think a lot of people have commented on this, but the sound effects are pretty satisfying to hear. The crunching of grass, the summoning of weapons, the stomping of monsters... I'm really digging all of them.

Dark_castle

There are actually A LOT of monsters shown in this, just not clearly
Pig Dinosaurs/ snuffleupugi
Snake head thing
Goblins
Chocobos
Red monster thing in distance
Electric Dog Lizard things
Behemoth

EDIT: Ill replace with real names if anyones got em...ald i cant seem to find the rhino vid

Pig Dinosaurs are Catoblepas, Snake heads are Naga, red monster in distance was actually Chocobos, Electric dog lizards are those Catoblepas in distance, the rhinos are wild horns.

i hope this game runs 1080p at stable 30fps. this will make this game really pretty. i hope we'll see more of the game soon. and also see a release window soon~ is long overdue since is already in dev for about 3 years by next fall~ since Tabata took over.

injurai

Banned
That looks nothing like a Wii U or PS3 game. FFXV looks a whole generation ahead of those machines.

On topic, here's a close up of Prompto's hair from his gameplay model. No cutscene, pure in-game, gameplay model. This is just INSANE.

i6eTBRF.jpg

EDIT: On the negative side, they need to correct that camera clipping through the models...

6gKZmIM.jpg

I think I see Ezio climbing out of that hair.

Top Bottom