• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1080p footage of FFXV tech demo

Horp

That is one of them, isn't it? One barely makes a "fetish party", and isn't really worse than what other FF characters has worn in the past. I mean Barret has an open vest? Vaan has an open vest? Fang is basically wearing a sports brah and a sash. Fran was wearing nothing much either!

I'm still not seeing the crisis.

I guess it's not worse in design, but in practice seeing these characters being so realistic and walking around in this lush environment being all styled up with goofy city hair cuts and matching black leather clothes.. It's looks like some one put Tokio Hotel in the world of The Witcher.

"It's hard to take people who don't know what a "vest" is, seriously."
Haha that's a classic! Think I'm going to use that.

Watch out for that tre...

bDkDY4A.jpg

Hedge

I guess it's not worse in design, but in practice seeing these characters being so realistic and walking around in this lush environment being all styled up with goofy city hair cuts and matching black leather clothes.. It's looks like some one put Tokio Hotel in the world of The Witcher.

Now that I can see. I too find it a bit odd, but it's more the hair than their clothing which I still find acceptable considering all. The clash between realism and the finely-detailed haircuts does take some getting used to.
I think it's more the fact that I haven't played a "next-gen" JRPG, so I'm not really used to their antics in high-resolution and with that kind of graphical fidelity. :)

I think it'll be great, anyway!

While it is in line with previous FF installments, it's original tagline was "This is a Fantasy based on reality", so they could have opted to go away from this trend. Just because it's happened before, doesn't mean they have to do so again. In any case, just because previous games use too-fantastical enemies doesn't make my observation wrong. The design is more heavily fantasy than the others - especially since the first many Versus years the only enemies we saw were soldiers.

Besides I never said "ugh no god how terrible I hate this this totally isn't final fantasy". I just remarked it looked more heavily fantasy-inspired, and I was surprised since - given the otherwise realistic environment - I hadn't expected this.
I think people are misinterpreting that meaning("A fantasy based on reality"), especially given the examples Square(and Nomura) has given since then. Nomura said he was inspired by the real world, but I don't think he means everything has to be grounded by real world standards. He's said time and again that the XV(back then, Versus) was going to be rich in traditional FF staples, and that monsters and even summons were going to have their more classical depiction going for them. And despite tossing around the "reality" word, again, given the setting, I think that has more to do with the character tension/global conflict thing than collective look of the world. We know a few things regarding FFXV's world:

1. Lucis(and other nations) have been inspired by real life locations in our world. That's all fine, but not unique for the series. Locations in FFIX, FFX and FFXII were also inspired by real life locations, and it seems like to get artists and location designers ready for such a task, they always send them out into the world to explore these locations in person(they traveled around Britain for FFIX, the Mediterranean for FFXII and Southeast Asia and Okinawa for FFX).

2. We know there's an odd balance regarding weaponry. It was explained a while ago, but for a nation to be "evolved" by society standards, they have to give up automatic weaponry. Lucis is in a state of a modern metropolis, but they forbid automatic weapons(particularly guns). Prompto is said to always be getting in trouble BECAUSE he carries around a gun(and he's a rebel to the "laws" forbidding them). On the other hand, Niflheim have given up their evolution of society, but instead focused on weaponry. What you get is a society that is heavily medieval, but are also heavily armed with automatic weapons and war machines(airships, tanks, magitek armor). So on one hand, you have Lucis, a modern society(by our standards) that seems to prefer bladed weapons(swords, spears, axes), while on the other hand, you have Niflheim, decked in classic medieval armor, but wielding assault rifles, gun-weapons(like gunblades, gunspears, gunaxes), piloting airships, magitek armor, assault vehicles and such.

3. The modernization is only limited to the nations with the crystals(or so it seems). So like above, there's a stark contrast between modernization and the "old world" outside it's walls. The settlements(things like gas stations) seem to prove that the modern sensibilities are "trying" to venture off and stake some claim in wilderness, but I would think, given the monsters(especially things like the Adamantoise), such attempts remain small.

4. Getting to the nitty gritty, the name drop of "reality" was explained to mean that conflicts seen within FFXV were to mirror that of our real world. Hell, I think Nomura said he drew a LOT of ideas from all the modern world events of the time(insurgents of the Middle East, rising tension between North and South Korean, political woes and conflicting ideas between rival political parties,...). This is what the "A fantasy based on reality" means, probably more than ANYTHING, I believe. It doesn't mean it's going to aim to be as realistic looking as it could be, because Nomura(and footage) proved it wouldn't. It's going to take ideas that are real(as in struggles real nations are going through, in REAL life) and apply them to the game's world. This leads to...

5. "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.", is misinterpreted as being a definitive sign that Nomura's copying Shakespeare(a play or two), literally. That quote is NOT meant to be taken in the context of Hamlet, but within the context of XV's world(to paint a picture of what to expect). It pretty much explains that even the villains won't be easily defined, and even those who you believe as your enemy might feel they are doing the right thing(for their people), because that's based in "reality". Noctis and crew might have to do some horrible things that we, the player, disagree with, while the villains might do some things that we empathize with. I think this is what Nomura means regarding that quote drop, not "It's Hamlet: The Game" or "Romeo and Juliet: The Game". That grey area IS realistic, and motives where you do things that might seem morally bad for the greater good is also realistic. Hell, that's happening all the time nowadays, and is extremely relevant within reality as a whole.

I have no idea why you're going off here. I never said Cie'th had to look like that at all? I just said I'd like to see them return since I liked their overall sombre crystal/stone designs. I'm not sure why you're seeing this as such an area of conflict. It was a pretty innocent remark.
There was no area of conflict and I apologize if you saw it that way. I just meant the Cie'th are one of those things that are unique within the series. Quite frankly, there are concepts I would've loved to see make a transition from one game to another, but I think in the long run, I think I appreciate it more it stayed unique.

Horp

Now that I can see. I too find it a bit odd, but it's more the hair than their clothing which I still find acceptable considering all. The clash between realism and the finely-detailed haircuts does take some getting used to.
I think it's more the fact that I haven't played a "next-gen" JRPG, so I'm not really used to their antics in high-resolution and with that kind of graphical fidelity. :)

I think it'll be great, anyway!

If they get the combat right it think FF fans will be very pleased indeed. Looks way better than the last couple of games, in pretty much all aspects we've seen so far.

Dark_castle

I think Square Enix really had to add in alternative outfits with different colours for the main party, maybe even some medieval armors designed by Akihiko Yoshida. And perhaps let the vehicle being able to be transmogrified into a old school buggy or something.

That would remove a lot of common complaints about "lol cars" "lol emo dudes" I seen on the internet.

I have no experience whatsoever with both the Final Fantasy series and Xenoblade, but judging from both their gameplay footage, THIS is how you do the faces (though I'm not fan of their "punkish" design itself). I still can't phantom how bad they are in Xenoblade X compared to the beautiful environments in there. I honestly thought I was looking at two different games.

Despite that, when all is said and done, I'm probably going to buy Xenoblade X because I already own a Wii U and because Monolith are said to be spec wizards (can´t say I disagree with Xenoblade running on the Wii in the first place).

graphically FFXV destroys xenoblade x in every aspect, it's just not the faces, this is the best looking next generation game easily, that lighting is just amazing.

Hedge

I think Square Enix really had to add in alternative outfits with different colours for the main party, maybe even some medieval armors designed by Akihiko Yoshida.

I'm sorry, I just had to focus on this, but.. THIS WOULD BE MY DREAM COME TRUE, OH MY GOSH YOU HAVE NO IDEA!

Hedge

[Long but great post]

You are absolutely right, and I am in complete agreement. I think my original "wow that's so fantasy" was simply because that was the first time I personally had actually seen something so heavily inspired by a mythological enemy in the game, so far.

And it does not help any that - and maybe that's my own fault - Nomura's vision of Versus and Tabata's vision of XV still tends to mix up in my head. So I'm actually not too sure of what I'm expecting once (if) XV releases. I guess it remains to be seen!
I'm happy with either vision, to be honest. I'm just craving a good, quality Final Fantasy. :)

Great post, none the less!

Philippo

I think people are misinterpreting that meaning("A fantasy based on reality"), especially given the examples Square(and Nomura) has given since then. Nomura said he was inspired by the real world, but I don't think he means everything has to be grounded by real world standards. He's said time and again that the XV(back then, Versus) was going to be rich in traditional FF staples, and that monsters and even summons were going to have their more classical depiction going for them. And despite tossing around the "reality" word, again, given the setting, I think that has more to do with the character tension/global conflict thing than collective look of the world. We know a few things regarding FFXV's world:

1. Lucis(and other nations) have been inspired by real life locations in our world. That's all fine, but not unique for the series. Locations in FFIX, FFX and FFXII were also inspired by real life locations, and it seems like to get artists and location designers ready for such a task, they always send them out into the world to explore these locations in person(they traveled around Britain for FFIX, the Mediterranean for FFXII and Southeast Asia and Okinawa for FFX).

2. We know there's an odd balance regarding weaponry. It was explained a while ago, but for a nation to be "evolved" by society standards, they have to give up automatic weaponry. Lucis is in a state of a modern metropolis, but they forbid automatic weapons(particularly guns). Prompto is said to always be getting in trouble BECAUSE he carries around a gun(and he's a rebel to the "laws" forbidding them). On the other hand, Niflheim have given up their evolution of society, but instead focused on weaponry. What you get is a society that is heavily medieval, but are also heavily armed with automatic weapons and war machines(airships, tanks, magitek armor). So on one hand, you have Lucis, a modern society(by our standards) that seems to prefer bladed weapons(swords, spears, axes), while on the other hand, you have Niflheim, decked in classic medieval armor, but wielding assault rifles, gun-weapons(like gunblades, gunspears, gunaxes), piloting airships, magitek armor, assault vehicles and such.

3. The modernization is only limited to the nations with the crystals(or so it seems). So like above, there's a stark contrast between modernization and the "old world" outside it's walls. The settlements(things like gas stations) seem to prove that the modern sensibilities are "trying" to venture off and stake some claim in wilderness, but I would think, given the monsters(especially things like the Adamantoise), such attempts remain small.

4. Getting to the nitty gritty, the name drop of "reality" was explained to mean that conflicts seen within FFXV were to mirror that of our real world. Hell, I think Nomura said he drew a LOT of ideas from all the modern world events of the time(insurgents of the Middle East, rising tension between North and South Korean, political woes and conflicting ideas between rival political parties,...). This is what the "A fantasy based on reality" means, probably more than ANYTHING, I believe. It doesn't mean it's going to aim to be as realistic looking as it could be, because Nomura(and footage) proved it wouldn't. It's going to take ideas that are real(as in struggles real nations are going through, in REAL life) and apply them to the game's world. This leads to...

5. "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.", is misinterpreted as being a definitive sign that Nomura's copying Shakespeare(a play or two), literally. That quote is NOT meant to be taken in the context of Hamlet, but within the context of XV's world(to paint a picture of what to expect). It pretty much explains that even the villains won't be easily defined, and even those who you believe as your enemy might feel they are doing the right thing(for their people), because that's based in "reality". Noctis and crew might have to do some horrible things that we, the player, disagree with, while the villains might do some things that we empathize with. I think this is what Nomura means regarding that quote drop, not "It's Hamlet: The Game" or "Romeo and Juliet: The Game". That grey area IS realistic, and motives where you do things that might seem morally bad for the greater good is also realistic. Hell, that's happening all the time nowadays, and is extremely relevant within reality as a whole.

There was no area of conflict and I apologize if you saw it that way. I just meant the Cie'th are one of those things that are unique within the series. Quite frankly, there are concepts I would've loved to see make a transition from one game to another, but I think in the long run, I think I appreciate it more it stayed unique.

Great post, must read i'd say.

Although for point 2 i would say that why Niflheim/other countries wears armors and use fire arms is because they don't have the Crystal, hence why they couldn't beat monsters with just swords (since they also doesn't have magic) or because they can't protect themselves from heavy attacks or deadly damages with Cure or Protect spells.
That also explains why the party travels in casual clothes. Yes i know it still happens in every other JRPG, but at least here they try to give it a plausible explanation.

Famassu

You missed the bare-chested with a shiny black leather vest, half opened look? And, well, "emo" applies to all of them obviously.
None of them look even remotely emo. I think emo is more of a state of mind and behavioural thing. None of these people act all that emo-ish, let alone dress like stereotypical emos. Dressing in black =! emo.

These are basically ~Nomura's version of stylized modern characters like Matrix was Wachowzkis' leather-orgy. The character designs are really good, in my opinion. They fit the world they've built.

Axass

Why are FFX and FFXII discounted? XIII I can understand (even though I liked it myself), but discounting X which is very similar to the PS1 games, and discounting FFXII whose only fault is an innovative battle system, seems very wrong and entitled.

Plus on top of all this the game you're calling the true sequel is one that takes a radical step in a different direction than any FF before it and indeed was a spin-off that became a sequel.

I'm gonna be harsh:

FFX is a great game on his own merit but it's really not anywhere close to the PSX ones. Much more linear and focused on the single main plot, less PC but always all together on the team, etc.

FFXII is an offline MMORPG, devoid of life and personality with what I find to be an abysmal battle system and an incredibly boring story dealing with politics.

Though I don't really feel that FFXV is any closer to the pre FFX entries. It's probably going to stand on its own merits just like FFX.

Really reminds of the single open area of FFXIII

Yep.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
need gamersyde video of this.
and plz need some aa for release because it is jaggies fiesta

That can only happen if SE releases the assets to the press. They have not so this is the best out there for now. Youtube quality is pretty bad though :/

Hedge

I'm gonna be harsh:

FFXII is an offline MMORPG, devoid of life and personality with what I find to be an abysmal battle system and an incredibly boring story dealing with politics.

While I know it is a popular opinion, it always makes me sad. XII was the one entry I thought really had character. Maybe it's because of the very cohesive world design, and the engaging environments, but I absolutely loved it. I also happen to love the plot, even though the writing itself suffered at times.
I'm not sure how it is more devoid of life and personality than earlier entries it is. Rabanastre and the city of Lhusu Mines both had interestin NPC's, and a lot of the cities and environments had such character! The forest of Fran (whose name escapes me) was wonderful as well! :)

I also found the battle system wonderful, and I'm glad to see the evolved version return in XV!

Diablos

It's coming out on Xbone and PS4, who would moneyhat specifically to not put it on PC?
FFXV could prove to be quite the system seller; would it not be in MS and Sony's best interests to keep it exclusive to consoles for an extended period of time so people can't just buy it on Steam and go on not buying a console?
If XV doesn't launch for PC alongside or shortly after a console release, I will probably have to bend over and get a PS4. :|

I also found the battle system wonderful, and I'm glad to see the evolved version return in XV!
"Evolved" implying smarter with apparently more focus on player input. Makes a world of difference. I hated FFXII but I'm quite intrigued by what I've read about XV's battle system so far.

YoungOne

While I know it is a popular opinion, it always makes me sad. XII was the one entry I thought really had character. Maybe it's because of the very cohesive world design, and the engaging environments, but I absolutely loved it. I also happen to love the plot, even though the writing itself suffered at times.
I'm not sure how it is more devoid of life and personality than earlier entries it is. Rabanastre and the city of Lhusu Mines both had interestin NPC's, and a lot of the cities and environments had such character! The forest of Fran (whose name escapes me) was wonderful as well! :)

I agree with all of it 12 is my personal favorite of the series.

That can only happen if SE releases the assets to the press. They have not so this is the best out there for now. Youtube quality is pretty bad though :/
Didn't they upload this version on youtube because people kept asking for it?

Keep asking for them to send out the assets then =P

Even if they don't do for this one, they might do for next ones.

FFXV could prove to be quite the system seller; would it not be in MS and Sony's best interests to keep it exclusive to consoles for an extended period of time so people can't just buy it on Steam and go on not buying a console?
If XV doesn't launch for PC alongside or shortly after a console release, I will probably have to bend over and get a PS4. :|
Last time I said that a lot of people defending the PC appeared.

And here's the thing, Sony doesn't need a system seller in the west, it's doing it through magic. MS doesn't have exclusivity so most people will just end up getting a PS4 instead of an Xbone for this game. And PC games in Japan rarely do well, so people would still end up buying it for consoles.

I'm pretty sure MS and Sony didn't get together to stop SE from putting this game on PC. Many people are expecting FFXV, but come on, it's nowhere near this level.

chadboban

God, I really can't wait for this. It looks sooo goood, and don't worry guys I'm sure the pop in and slight graphical blemishes will all likely be resolved once the full game is released. Really eager to see some footage of towns or cities in the future.

Jesus Christ, that looks like the most next-gen game after uncharted 4 so far. They better bring this to pc soon. It's an insult to not play this beauty in 3D at 60 fps.

Jesus Christ, that looks like the most next-gen game after uncharted 4 so far. They better bring this to pc soon. It's an insult to not play this beauty in 3D at 60 fps.

i think the chances are good.
After those FF13 steam releases and Nomuras hints that a Pc Port is possible (with enough demand)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
If they can clean up the IQ and get the performance steady then this game will be a stunner. That cave in particular looked insane.

Exentryk

There are actually A LOT of monsters shown in this, just not clearly
Pig Dinosaurs/ snuffleupugi
Snake head thing
Goblins
Chocobos
Red monster thing in distance
Electric Dog Lizard things
Behemoth

EDIT: Ill replace with real names if anyones got em...ald i cant seem to find the rhino vid

You can see all of the monsters with names here.

The only ones missing in that video is the ones in this gif, but you can barely even see them, leave alone put a name to them.

1416092152-monsters-unknown.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
(we should expect Vol. 2 before release since this is only for Luminous Engine 1.4; the final version should be Luminous Engine 1.5)

From Square Enix themselves. Looks gorgeous!

Enemies and events have been removed from the walkthrough since they want to show the vastness of the map and not much else. I'll take their word for it.

I thought SE moved over to UE4 instead of using Luminous?

HeelPower

1416092152-monsters-unknown.gif

Does anyone find the scenes when they're running away from enemies hilarious ?

Idk the combination of the music and running animations makes it unusually funny lol

wmlk

Does he run into an invisible wall @ 3:44?

Looks like it's a steep incline.

You keep watching and Noctis eventually runs around it.

is the game open world or are the areas separated by loading screens?

Tabata has said that it's seamless. It sounds like it may be all interconnected.

Still, for stuff like this, some people have different definitions for 'seamless' and 'open world'.

They haven't said this, but I think there's gonna be loading when you go to massive cities like this one.

Exentryk

Looks like it's a steep incline.

You keep watching and Noctis eventually runs around it.

Could also just be an event in the game where enemies are parked or something, and you can go through there. It'll be sorted in the demo.

I saw the "HD" version of the video, and it definitely is a Chocobo.

A higher bitrate version would make things so much more clearer. -.-

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I had seen these before, and my feelings remain.

The world is currently really empty, so I hope there's a lot more to see in the final.

The music loop, as happens to be the case with the KH soundtracks, is way too short. We get to the same positions of the song in about one minute or so, which can get really repetitive and annoying.

Yeah... I find it so weird that Square won't just release a full quality, direct-feed video. Youtube kills a lot of the quality...

I think they just don't treat this as a "trailer" like the TGS one, maybe because of the minimum editing, and how quickly it was put together.

Either, keep bugging them, they may start to send out the videos to websites like gamersyde.

wmlk

The music loop, as happens to be the case with the KH soundtracks, is way too short. We get to the same positions of the song in about one minute or so, which can get really repetitive and annoying.

The sound engineer behind this track, falk, actually alluded to the track being longer than what we hear in the video. Sounds like it, too.

As for the world map, yeah I have concerns with that too. It's more so about it taking forever to drive to story locations on the map.

The (current) world map suggests that there's gonna be a bunch of towns and locales like classic FFs. If the content matches those types of games, I'll be more than happy.

I actually don't have any problem with how empty it is. I think it fits the type of world this is and the road-trip vibe going on.

Exentryk

The (current) world map suggests that there's gonna be a bunch of towns and locales like classic FFs. If the content matches those types of games, I'll be more than happy.

I don't think those white dots/patches are towns. They'd be too small for a full town lol. Since they're meant to be to scale, you can compare them to the lake in the Duscae region.

If this is indeed a version of XV's map (and I don't think it is the full map anyway), these would be the places that I'd name on it. Duscae's lake and terrain roughly matches to what we've seen; Accordo is obvious with the water body surrounding it; and Lucis has that magic barrier over it seen as that darker shaded square.

Top Bottom