• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

So is it just in preparation for the DLC? Any noticeable differences in the main game?

Can't try the game out as my wee yins are running about. DR3 is Nightmare fuel for children haha.

Billy Lee

Always online. Deal with it.

adam%20orth.jpg

c0de

The size limit for patches was 4 MB on 360 (though there were some exceptions). It was super limiting for developers, and it was only in place because they wanted to account for users who didn't have HDDs.

Yeah, but that was long ago. Still I get rarely patches above 50mb... I heard the 4mb limit limiting devs but obviously it worked for games, didn't it? Where exactly was the limit ever a problem for games/updates?

This is hilarious. Forcing the update on people that don't want to purchase the DLC more or less, regardless of if they have a monthly bandwidth cap.

The real question is whether or not you can still play the game offline if you elect not to download this massive update. That way at least the folks that have no intention of buying the DLC and don't care for co-op can still enjoy the single-player version of the game (which honestly is the best way to enjoy it anyway IMHO).

I still find it hysterical that Microsoft was trying to push us toward all-digital distribution with relatively miniscule internal storage sizes combined with plenty of folks whose bandwidth and/or monthly caps can't handle these ridiculous game and patch sizes.

IIRC DR3 was 39gb day one install, plus a 3gb update, and now a 13gb update. So unless some assets are being over-written here, its total now stands at 55gb if you want to play online with both "updates" installed. And even if a lot of assest were over-written, it's still easily over 40gb.

All those folks that say digital distro is so great and they were looking forward to being able to switch games without having to swap discs are in for a rude awakening when their collection surpasses 8-10 games, especially if they frequently play a good majority of their collection and not the same 2 or 3 titles, because they're going to wind up having to re-download these massive updates after the system auto-deletes them to make room for other games and updates to games. Jesus.

No, it is not wrong!
Unless you are TMU limited or really bandwidth starved (which both seem very unlikely with the way the game looks) you are not going to need lower res textures.

Games with streaming game engines can have all their data in one or a few large blobs, e.g Farcry Blood Dragon is mostly 3 large files.

Textures: Well, they might have found that their textures were needlessly higher resolution than they needed to be, because you know, rush to launch. They might have found that baked normal maps were incorrect in their pipeline. Or that a large majority of mipmap levels are not being used, so perhaps they removed those mip levels to make more room in memory for post-processing memory. All manner of things may have occurred. We just don't know.

Streaming: Yes - you can have all your data in a few large blobs - especially for games reading their data from a hard drive, of course - so I stand corrected - obviously a large blob with a data lookup table/directory would be the same in terms of performance, only dealing with seek times on the hard drive as a bottleneck.

General gist of my point: Things happen in the rush to launch. Things need to be corrected/fixed. Maybe the patch system is bust at the moment (we don't know) or maybe DR3 had issued they wanted to fix/optimised (we don't know) - but we do know that these things will get better over the course of this console's lifespan.

This is hilarious. Forcing the update on people that don't want to purchase the DLC more or less, regardless of if they have a monthly bandwidth cap.

The real question is whether or not you can still play the game offline if you elect not to download this massive update. That way at least the folks that have no intention of buying the DLC and don't care for co-op can still enjoy the single-player version of the game (which honestly is the best way to enjoy it anyway IMHO).

I still find it hysterical that Microsoft was trying to push us toward all-digital distribution with relatively miniscule internal storage sizes combined with plenty of folks whose bandwidth and/or monthly caps can't handle these ridiculous game and patch sizes.

IIRC DR3 was 39gb day one install, plus a 3gb update, and now a 13gb update. So unless some assets are being over-written here, its total now stands at 55gb if you want to play online with both "updates" installed. And even if a lot of assest were over-written, it's still easily over 40gb.

All those folks that say digital distro is so great and they were looking forward to being able to switch games without having to swap discs are in for a rude awakening when their collection surpasses 8-10 games, especially if they frequently play a good majority of their collection and not the same 2 or 3 titles, because they're going to wind up having to re-download these massive updates after the system auto-deletes them to make room for other games and updates to games. Jesus.

It's not. It's increased by about 1.5G.

But I agree, Microsoft need to do something about the storage problems with the console - as well as providing options to be 'auto-on/voice enabled' without auto-downloads.

EDIT: Oops. Accidentally posted two posts in a row. Apologies mods.

13 gb or not, the install/update system on the Xbox One is a mess and a downgrade from what the 360 had.

That goes for quite a few other features as well. How could MS be so dumb?

I fucking love my One, but some of this shit is ridiculous.

TheD

The Detective
Textures: Well, they might have found that their textures were needlessly higher resolution than they needed to be, because you know, rush to launch. They might have found that baked normal maps were incorrect in their pipeline. Or that a large majority of mipmap levels are not being used, so perhaps they removed those mip levels to make more room in memory for post-processing memory. All manner of things may have occurred. We just don't know.

I highly doubt that a game like DR3 is running into a memory limit, with the unimpressive textures on display and low rendering res (and thus low PP rendering res) and even if that was the case and they had to lower texture res/remove mip maps, why is the game a GB or two bigger after a 13GB patch?!
Normal maps are also not going to take up 13GB.

General gist of my point: Things happen in the rush to launch. Things need to be corrected/fixed. Maybe the patch system is bust at the moment (we don't know) or maybe DR3 had issued they wanted to fix/optimised (we don't know) - but we do know that these things will get better over the course of this console's lifespan.

It does not matter what is in the future, we are talking about the present.

It's not. It's increased by about 1.5G.

But I agree, Microsoft need to do something about the storage problems with the console - as well as providing options to be 'auto-on/voice enabled' without auto-downloads.

EDIT: Oops. Accidentally posted two posts in a row. Apologies mods.

Yeah I was still reading through many more thread replies after I typed that. I think I also have the file sizes wrong as someone else said the initial install was 19gb not 39gb. I may have been thinking of another launch title as I seem to recall a 39gb install size somewhere.

Still, if the game is sitting at 24gb more or less after the updates/patches and initial install, that's a fairly large chunk of available HDD space, and for people that were so excited about digital distro it would only be feasible if you're the type to stick to a few games at a time, because if you're bouncing around between 10 or 15 titles then sooner or later you're going to bump into having to reinstall and/or re-patch games as older content gets continuously overwritten.

crayman

Didn't Microsoft used to have a delta comprsesion update system? So it was just download the difference between the old and new files. What happened to that? If it's actually re-downloading whole giant files, this is a big step backwards.

What wait you cant refuse game updates?

People are misunderstanding. You can refuse the update, but if you don't accept it then you can't connect to Xbox Live while playing.

Even if the update is necessary in order to play online co-op, there should still be the option to decline the update and play single-player only while still connected to Xbox Live.

I only play co-op with a friend personally. Otherwise I always set my game to private so no one drops in. I and anyone else in a similar situation ought to be able to play the game while connected to Live so long as we are playing in a private, non co-op game. This is where the "mandatory" nature comes in, especially if you're into unlocking achievements, because you have to be connected to live to unlock achievements, so you would eventually be forced to accept the update if only to connect to live and pop any achievements you've earned offline.

It's a tad asinine to force the update on people, but sort of understandable for co-op play. They just need to allow solo players to decline it and still play online in solo mode. That would solve a lot of grief and bandwidth cap concerns.

That's an insane patch. Super Mario 3D World as a whole game was less than 2gb. Think about that..

While I agree the update size is insane, it's disingenuous to try and compare it to SM3DW. The only apt comparison is between other PS4/XB1 games with open-world free-roaming settings where the environments alone are many scales of magnitude larger than Mario.

People are misunderstanding. You can refuse the update, but if you don't accept it then you can't connect to Xbox Live while playing.

Even if the update is necessary in order to play online co-op, there should still be the option to decline the update and play single-player only while still connected to Xbox Live.

I only play co-op with a friend personally. Otherwise I always set my game to private so no one drops in. I and anyone else in a similar situation ought to be able to play the game while connected to Live so long as we are playing in a private, non co-op game. This is where the "mandatory" nature comes in, especially if you're into unlocking achievements, because you have to be connected to live to unlock achievements, so you would eventually be forced to accept the update if only to connect to live and pop any achievements you've earned offline.

It's a tad asinine to force the update on people, but sort of understandable for co-op play. They just need to allow solo players to decline it and still play online in solo mode. That would solve a lot of grief and bandwidth cap concerns.

While I agree the update size is insane, it's disingenuous to try and compare it to SM3DW. The only apt comparison is between other PS4/XB1 games with open-world free-roaming settings where the environments alone are many scales of magnitude larger than Mario.

Assassin's Creed IV was only 21.2gb, and the updates have been pretty small. This update is over half the size of ACIV's world, and nearly 7 times the size of 3D world. Really crazy.

RulkezX

Assassin's Creed IV was only 21.2gb, and the updates have been pretty small. This update is over half the size of ACIV's world, and nearly 7 times the size of 3D world. Really crazy.

We'll DR 3 has now had just shy of 20GB of patches since launch

Forza 6GB

Even KI which is a small game had a 3GB patch.

did not know, thanks. I could do that before my last format.

Actually these days you can also change a global setting to not pause downloads when you play. Alternatively you can change this on a per-game level.

You are also given the choice to download a patch or not when launching a game (introduced shortly after the 4GB XCOM patch which was along similar lines to this)

It took Valve a long time, but they have eventually more or less got there.

clear31

I've hardly played my xbox one, just curious though if we can start updates and do they download while the system is off?? Or do I need to leave my system on??

I know seems like something standard but you never know.

I've always laughed at the 500GB next gen systems because the games are so much bigger now...they need to have a way to upgrade the hard drives and soon. 13 Gb update...wtf. That's like 2-3 games on demand for 360 (depending).

derFeef

I've always laughed at the 500GB next gen systems because the games are so much bigger now...they need to have a way to upgrade the hard drives and soon. 13 Gb update...wtf. That's like 2-3 games on demand for 360 (depending).

It will come. And you can't expect higher res textures and bigger worlds without higher hd space requirements.

Cuth

Code:
System changes

- System stability has been improved.

Didn't DR3 have a hefty, several GB sized day one patch as well?

I was joking. That was a common patch note for sizeable PS3 firmware updates.
I've noticed some sites managed to put your made up patch notes as part of their news about the massive patch. It's clear this tell us much more about the "quality" of the sites than about the "quality" of your post, but maybe it would be useful if you can clear the thing even in the original post, also for the people reading the thread.

EDIT: of course it would be even more useful if someone at Capcom manages to say something about what the patch does. What are they waiting for?

It will come. And you can't expect higher res textures and bigger worlds without higher hd space requirements.

I know WHY the games are bigger....I just don't know why next gen games are on last gen capacity. should I say, I just don't understand the logic. Probably to control the cost of making them. 1TB should have been minimum.

Top Bottom