• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13GB update for Dead Rising 3

Thanati

Just think what happens now that we might lose the net neutrality! We could be charged by the provider for downloading an update!

Can you even check the size of games/installs on XBO? I seem to remember that there isn't a data management system yet.

No, I don't believe there is, but it would be a good question to ask Microsoft when there's patches of this size being released. If it's somehow an additional 13GB on top of the previous fairly large install, then that seems a bit insane. There'd be no telling just how much space a single game would be able to take up on your hard drive, so a part of me has to believe that it's somehow modifying or overwriting pre-existing Dead Rising 3 data, rather than writing entirely new data while also leaving the previous data completely intact, further burdening storage on the hard drive.

You know what's the craziest part of all this?
This is only DLC 1 of 4, January 21st Operation Broken Eagle.

That means there is another 3 updates of DLC due.

Montresor

Not sure why people would complain about this, they don't give you a patch that size for the fun of it. It has to be textures and video/audio, stuff that will improve the game.

Would you all rather than just abandon the game and move on?

It can't be that difficult to understand, can it?

Let's lay down some basic assumptions:

1) We assume that there is 0% chance that all 13 gigabytes of this patch contributes to bug fixes and general improvements and enhancements for the main campaign.

2) We assume that there is a high likelihood that the majority of the 13 gigabytes of this "patch" downloads DLC assets, even if someone has no intention to ever purchase the DLC.

If you accept these assumptions, why don't you consider this scenario:

1) You are a Mass Effect fan playing on Xbox 360 in early 2013

2) You are playing Mass Effect 3, and you are enjoying the hell out of it

3) You are not a DLC guy. You will never pay for it. You will never download it willingly.

4) All of a sudden, The Citadel DLC gets released, and MIDWAY through star child's epic end-game speech, the game boots you to the dashboard and FORCES you to download 4 useless gigabytes.

Would you agree that this hypothetical Mass Effect 3 scenario is unacceptable? If so, why is it acceptable for Dead Rising 3?

def sim

I'm assuming they're including DLC assets in the patch. Probably to maintain some parity among players for co-op. The size probably isn't some weird Xbox thing, this is just how it will be on all platforms depending on how these companies handle patching.

I don't have a cap, but it's too bad for those that do. This generation is going to be rough.

malfcn

Actually, I got ready to play around 67% and it is still downloading. Right about 78% right now. That is strange, a patch that supports early play? Must be DLC..

Well, this can't be any more frustrating than installing Burnout Paradise on a PS3. That will test you.
Haha probably not. Or GT5.

Hell, the reason I haven't installed Little Big PLanet 1 or 2 on my new PS3 is the fucking updates.

My worry is HD space is this becomes a trend. Depends how this is handled though.

No cap or download throttling here. Something all next gen owners should get.
Luckily everybody has a wealth of options to choose from when it comes to internet service providers.

Oh wait...

ieatzombies

That isn't to say it couldn't happen elsewhere. But I'm pretty sure I was able to play Killzone without having to update it.

Had to wait for my girlfriend to come home so I could use her phone's internet to take on the update.

It's probably preparation for the DLC. Why? Because when someone rolls out a huge patch like that, especially Capcom, they love to hype it up. There's no indication as to what the patch contains or what it's fixing. "Stability issues" means jack shit when we have no idea what it's applied to.

That goes out to all of you damn developers. You gotta lemme know what bugs you squashed.
That's true as well. Hope it's not the begginning of a reoccurring theme.

Wereroku

Actually, I got ready to play around 67% and it is still downloading. Right about 78% right now. That is strange, a patch that supports early play? Must be DLC..
That sounds like it reinstalled the whole thing. Were you 60% through the game?

Razdek

Banned
No, I don't believe there is, but it would be a good question to ask Microsoft when there's patches of this size being released. If it's somehow an additional 13GB on top of the previous fairly large install, then that seems a bit insane. There'd be no telling just how much space a single game would be able to take up on your hard drive, so a part of me has to believe that it's somehow modifying or overwriting pre-existing Dead Rising 3 data, rather than writing entirely new data while also leaving the previous data completely intact, further burdening storage on the hard drive.

How would you ask Microsoft anything about this as they've been so vague on everything regarding the system? You'll never hear a straight answer from them. As long as this update downloads in the background when I'm not using the system I don't care. There needs to be transperancy on how things work.

Rat Salad

Banned
Stupid Microsoft publishing these obscenely large patches. Don't they know they can use diff files like Microsoft uses on 360? But, no, they have to be Microsoft and make everyone suffer through these idiotically large patches filled with crap they may not want.

Ahh look at the concerned Sony fan voice his outrage. Its cute!
Better go sell your PlayStations since Sony's made this the norm for years.

Griss

It can't be that difficult to understand, can it?

Let's lay down some basic assumptions:

1) We assume that there is 0% chance that all 13 gigabytes of this patch contributes to bug fixes and general improvements and enhancements for the main campaign.

2) We assume that there is a high likelihood that the majority of the 13 gigabytes of this "patch" downloads DLC assets, even if someone has no intention to ever purchase the DLC.

If you accept these assumptions, why don't you consider this scenario:

1) You are a Mass Effect fan playing on Xbox 360 in early 2013

2) You are playing Mass Effect 3, and you are enjoying the hell out of it

3) You are not a DLC guy. You will never pay for it. You will never download it willingly.

4) All of a sudden, The Citadel DLC gets released, and MIDWAY through star child's epic end-game speech, the game boots you to the dashboard and FORCES you to download 4 useless gigabytes.

Would you agree that this hypothetical Mass Effect 3 scenario is unacceptable? If so, why is it acceptable for Dead Rising 3?

Exactly. I'm lucky enough to have 160Mb/s unlimited internet and even I think that it's unacceptable. I don't buy DLC. Don't make me download it.

fine to me if it will improve the game. probably less of an "issue" down the road.got a feeling it was because the launch titles were a bit rushed.

That's true as well. Hope it's not the begginning of a reoccurring theme.

Really, at least when it came to Capcom, it's an old issue made worse. IIRC, DR2 and the expansion put the DLC pieces in the patches and you just bought the keys. Same thing with SFxT, for better or worse on that one.

Skip to this generation, and DLC pieces are now huge, and since Capcom doesn't know how to compress shit at all (see: digital version of SF4AE), you get a bloated update.

Ahh look at the concerned Sony fan voice his outrage. Its cute!
Better go sell your PlayStations since Sony's made this the norm for years.

Quell your sodium levels.

So about 16 minutes to download...

i don't get the anger ;)

People have different levels of internet speeds. Some people have caps. Some people have shitty services in general. People have different experiences and this is an inconvenience to more than just you ;)

Wereroku

It drops the percentage down based on the size. When I put it in it went from 100% to 50%, then goes from there.
Strange so there is no way to tell what the patch is doing. DLC textures and data sound like the most likely thing along with some bug fixes.

Lyriell

Where do you live where Xbox Live is giving you 115mbps speeds? Even if your speed test shows 115mbps, that has nothing to do with what MS will provide from their servers.

I hope you know I was just stiring the pot, but believe it or not I live in Australia and its an internet backwater :(

If it makes you feel better, my upstream is so bad and there are no twitch servers in Australia so I can't stream :( :(

Wait, what? Dead Rising players can actually get booted out of their game to download and install this patch?

That can't be right, can it?

I said that earlier but everyone was still too outraged to notice. That means a possible total of 52gb for ALL season pass content.
52gb!

That's assuming the same amount of data is added and not just replaced. Anyone got some confirmation on that?

it's not a gaf requirement to have words sony related in all your post. it's ok. the thread is about DR3 and XB1.

A console war never takes a break. You must forever be waging a battle on neutral grounds. That's the meaning of pure internet conquest!

Montresor

Wait, what? Dead Rising players can actually get booted out of their game to download and install this patch?

That can't be right, can it?

I haven't played Dead Rising 3 yet. Waiting until I get through Dead Rising 2 and Case West (thank you games for gold) before I delve into #3.

However, another poster mentioned being kicked out and then predicted that since it was awhile since his last save point, he likely lost story progress.

That's assuming the same amount of data is added and not just replaced. Anyone got some confirmation on that?

Of course, I was throwing out the worst case scenario.
Best case is the majority of content for the 4 packs are in this one and other updates will be a LOT smaller.

Lyriell

Where do you live where Xbox Live is giving you 115mbps speeds? Even if your speed test shows 115mbps, that has nothing to do with what MS will provide from their servers.

I know :(

20140119_155423.jpg

mechphree

Are their patch files? You shouldn't be forced to download dlc. I'd be pissed if I had to download a bunch of Borderlands 2 dlc knowing I had no intention of buying.

Mandatory, from what others are saying. Try to play the game, it boots you out until it reaches a certain point.

Plus, it is there so all they need to do is give you a key and be done with it.
yea but they said you are downloading the season pass ,if you are forced then does that mean they are forcing you to pay for it?

Megatron

Please tell me you're more intelligent than that...

...please.

Seems a lot of people here don't download a lot of PC games. 13GB....ok...shrug.

Does your pc have a 500 gig hard drive? Developers can just choose to install content on any pc game and you can't play the PC game until you do? You guys put up with that?

I said that earlier but everyone was still too outraged to notice. That means a possible total of 52gb for ALL season pass content.
52gb!

I had my fun with the game, finished it 2 times and I had my fill of zombies for a while, so yeah I'll need to trade in the game soon, no way I'm keeping the game if I have to download 10+GB of DLC even though I have no plans on buying it.

I get the shits with Steam(with games that I don't want DLC for,Base game is enough) and hence why I play in offline mode most of the time, my Internet is 100mbs and unlimited, my problem is the stupid bloat it does to my HDD,waiting to play the base game because of forced BS.

Someone said it makes it easier for devs, I say screw that...how about making it easier for the user, we pay for your game not the forced DLC you make us download.

Does your pc have a 500 gig hard drive? Developers can just choose to install content on any pc game and you can't play the PC game until you do? You guys put up with that?
just uninstall when you finish the game.then if one day you want to play reinstall. 500 gb wont be an issue that way.

Top Bottom