• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Year Anniversary! Let's Discuss & Appreciate the Games of Monolithsoft

TODAY IS MONOLITHSOFT'S 15 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

Can you believe they've been around for 15 years now? To celebrate, let's have a look back at their games, and discuss and appreciate all things Monolithsoft!!!

Monolith.png

Wikipedia said:
Monolithsoft, Ltd. -- A Brief History (from Wikipedia):
The company was founded on October 1, 1999 by producer Hirohide Sugiura and director Tetsuya Takahashi after they left Square and accepted an investment from Namco. As of May 6, 2007, Nintendo owned controlling interest in the company after Bandai Namco Holdings sold 80% of its 96% stake in Monolith Soft to Nintendo, thereby making them a Nintendo First Party Studio. This went into effect May 1, 2007. Later Namco sold the remaining 16% to Nintendo.

A majority of Monolith Soft's staff are former employees of Square Co., who transferred to the new company shortly after the creation of Chrono Cross. They were previously involved with the creation of Xenogears, from which the Xenosaga series is derived.

The company currently has two main studios, its Tokyo headquarters and a recently opened studio in Kyoto.

For a more in-depth history of Monolithsoft, check out this article here: http://www.nintendojo.com/features/editorials/developer-profile-monolith-soft

The Games of Monolithsoft (Prior to becoming a Nintendo First-Party Studio):

41RR8ZGA0ML.jpg
51SNCJYWV3L.jpg

Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht
Publisher: Namco
Release: JP February 28, 2002, NA February 25, 2003
Platform: Sony PlayStation 2
Genre: RPG

A spiritual prequel to Xenogears, the Xenosaga series was at first meant to have 6 chapters in all. There was quite a bit of hype and expectation for this first game in the series due to Xenogears. One of the notable complaints was that this game (and series) featured unusually lengthy cutscenes -- with a few of them being even over 20 minutes long. The North American version had some censorship.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXDk8ufe7I8

514GAAZBCCL.jpg

Xenosaga Episode I Reloaded: Der Wille zur Macht
Release: JP November 20, 2003

A re-release/special edition of the first game with added English voice-acting and a few special features. These included two additional armors which serve as alternate costumes for KOS-MOS and MOMO, and a theatre mode in which the game's cutscenes can be played at will (provided they have already been played in an existing saved game).

f527d0920ea08462f7afd110.L.jpg
5176XYW7TFL.jpg

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Co-Developed with Tri-Crescendo
Release: JP December 5, 2003, NA November 16, 2004
Platform: Nintendo Gamecube

A unique RPG that features cards for its combat system. Baten Kaitos was one of the more surprising releases back in the day because it was one of the few RPGs for a Nintendo console, along with Tales of Symphonia (which was also released by Namco) -- not to mention that the N64 had virtually no RPG games at all. The game's combat system was deep and rewarding but also quite slow. Aside from the combat, the game is most notable for its beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds, one of the most surprising twists in videogames, and the way odd mixing/processing on character voices which caused all characters to sound as if they were speaking through a tube -- though the reasoning for this was written into the story. Storywise, this game was ok -- but when pieced together with Baten Kaitos Orgins' story becomes even better.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iih9uTM26w0

51JXX22XB1L.jpg

Xenosaga Freaks
Release: JP November 20, 2003
Genre: Fan-Disc

Basically a fan-disc for Xenosaga. Xenosaga Freaks contained four separate parts: Xeno Komi, which plays like an illustrated, voiced text adventure, a word puzzle game called Kotoba no Puzzle: Xenopittan, which is a Xenosaga themed version of Kotoba no Puzzle: Mojipittan, an encyclopedia of Xenosaga Episode I terms, and a playable demo version of Episode II.

51C74PWTTKL.jpg
51EFTE269NL.jpg

Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
Release: JP June 24, 2004, NA February 15, 2005

The second installment of the Xenosaga series. Most notably, the art direction received a lot of stylistic changes from the first installment -- which includes a new composer as well. The game received quite a bit of criticism for all the changes made, and is widely considered the weakest entry in the trilogy. Sales-wise the game did not meet expectations and it was announced a bit after the NA release that the 3rd game would be the end of the series instead of what should've been six. This game's NA release featured censorship as well.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Ws6CfWQq4

logo.jpg

Xenosaga: Pied Piper
Release: JP July 14, 2004
Platform: Mobile
Genre: Visual Novel

Set 100 years prior to Episode I and the only mobile title from the studio. The purpose of Xenosaga: Pied Piper is to develop the back stories of some of the most important yet rarely felt presences in the Xenosaga universe.

51XT7GGH1RL.jpg

Namco X Capcom
Release: JP May 26, 2005
Genre: Strategy-RPG

Notable for bringing both Capcom and Namco characters into one game.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaBsDC0_fZM

513NNKNHC0L.jpg
51Y3H800NAL.jpg

Baten Kaitos II: Hajimari no Tsubaso to Kamigami no Shishi (JP)/ Baten Kaitos Origins (NA)
Co-Developed with Tri-Crescendo
Publisher: Nintendo
Release: JP February 23, 2006, NA September 25, 2006
Platform: Nintendo GameCube

One of the best games for the GameCube, Baten Kaitos Origins pretty much fixed all the flaws that was present in its predecessor. The combat still used cards but there was no longer a defense phase, and combat was very fast and engaging. You can also now move more quickly across the map and the voice acting was superb and not muffled. Storywise, if you've played the first game -- it's fantastic, and has quite a few plot twists and elements that really rewards those that have experienced the first title.

It should be noted that the announcement of this game was a big surprise for a few reasons: 1. The first game wasn't a huge seller so a sequel was not something people expected. 2. The game was being published by Nintendo -- who actually funded the development of the game. 3. The game was announced at Tokyo Game Show -- which Nintendo doesn't attend (though it was announced by Namco). 4. It was a new game that was coming out at the end of the GameCube's lifecycle.

Original Tokyo Game Show Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkYyQQqMIIs

41MW%2B%2B2ZrBL.jpg

Xenosaga I・II
Co-Developed with Tom Create
Release: JP March 30, 2006
Platform: Nintendo DS

The only Xenosaga game to grace a Nintendo console. This was not an exact retelling of the previous two games. Some major changes have been made to the storyline of the game without changing the pre-existing elements the first games have already laid out. Some scenarios have been edited and some new but minor characters have been included in these new parts. The Episode II portion of the game, originally told through Jr.'s perspective, will now focus on Shion, much like Episode I and Episode III. The Episode II portion of the game has been completely rewritten by Xenosaga creator Tetsuya Takahashi, which expands and enhances the storyline. This fills in some of the holes caused by Episode II, allowing for a better understanding of the plot and reducing the amount of questions that will be unanswered in Episode III.

410TTVAD7GL.jpg
511KHWNH0ML.jpg

Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games
Release: JP July 6, 2006, NA August 29, 2006
Platform: Sony Playstation 2

The final game in the Xenosaga series -- and also widely considered the best in the series. The game was widely praised and it was also the last game from the studio on a non-Nintendo platform. Many of the issues from the second game were addressed though like the first 2 games, the NA version featured censorship still.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pq6tE7UP0g

The Games of Monolithsoft (After becoming a Nintendo First-Party Studio):

51qKrjVy-TL.jpg

Soma Bringer
Release: JP February 28, 2008
Genre: Action-RPG.

The first title as a Nintendo-first party. The game was well received by JGAF but was released during the time where Nintendo was passing on localizing a lot of good games. 2008 was notable for Nintendo of America's lack of release of core titles.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJjVzcZ-KY

61J-ZpcOdzL.jpg
Super_Robot_Taisen_OG_Saga_U.S_Box_Art.jpg

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier
Co-Development with Banpresto
Publisher: Namco Bandai Games (JP) / Atlus USA (NA)
Release: JP May 29, 2008, NA April 28, 2009

Endless Frontier features multiple worlds with combat taking place on foot. Aside from the playable characters in the game, mecha, many of them similar to the ones from the Original Generation games, are controllable by the player's actions and issuing of commands. The battle system is similar to that of Namco × Capcom (another game developed by Monolith Soft), in that attack commands during battle are issued via timed button presses, rather than through the menu system typical of the role-playing genre.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbdE9Zu1eVE

51FXn4Q8exL.jpg
Disaster_Day_of_Crisis.jpg

Disaster: Day of Crisis
Release: JP September 25, 2008, EU October 24, 2008, AUS November 13, 2008
Platform: Nintendo Wii
Genre: Action/Adventure

Disaster played like a cliche hollywood movie. The game featured exploration and shooting elements. Though set in America, ironically the game never received a North American release.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6UR3UVB4U8

91VsmfDZkZL_AA1500__zps86d87488.jpg
81AC82YBzEL_SL1500__zps5a638393.jpg

Dragon Ball Kai: Saiyajin Raishū (JP) / Dragon Ball Z: Attack of the Saiyans (NA)
JP April 29, 2009, NA November 10, 2009

A turn-based RPG that allows players to take on the role of six characters from the series, starting from the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai through the Saiyan story arc. Generally well received by gaming critics, complimenting the battle system, its visuals, and its ability to stay true to the series.

51Vco9EiEfL.jpg

Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier Exceed
Release: JP February 25, 2010

A sequel to the first title.

81ryF8wLdpL_AA1127__zps5679ea31.jpg
81cYxxklNL_SL1409__zpsf72e537a.jpg

Xenoblade (JP) / Xenoblade Chronicles (NA)
Release: JP June 10, 2010, NA April 6, 2012

Widely considered the best JRPG of last gen, Xenoblade Chronicles was originally titled Monado: The Beginning of the World when it was announced at E3 2009 via a trailer that wasn't even shown at the conference. At that time, the expectations for the game were pretty low due to the unappealing trailer, but in January 2010 the game was re-announced as Xenoblade. The game far exceeded everyone's expectations when it released because of how the in-game world was, which had seamless travel and pretty much no load times throughout the game -- and it was absolutely beautiful as well. The popular Operation Rainfall campaign centered around this game: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435214

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q_KFemPumA

61DRmdB3xdL.jpg
81qehTT4b9L_SL1500__zps32a4284d.jpg

Project X Zone
Release: JP October 11, 2012, NA June 25, 2013
Platform: Nintendo 3DS

The sequel to Namco X Capcom.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uUPS_B64ic

Xenoblade X (JP) / Xenoblade Chronicles X (NA)
Release: TBA 2015
Platform: Nintendo Wii-U

Announced in January 2013. this is one of the most anticipated Wii-U titles to date.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GxUMMGyZcM
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
Trailer 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg2PTVi7fl8

3a76d9aad00a7ad224c77ea7007658f4edd79d81_preview.jpg

Xenoblade (JP) / Xenoblade Chronicles (NA)
Release: TBA 2015
Platform: New Nintendo 3DS

Not much is known regarding this port at this time.
---------------------

Development Cooperation Titles

These are titles that Monolithsoft helped developed. The amount of work and roles Monolithsoft had with each game varies.

Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
Publisher: Square-Enix
Release: JP January 26, 2006, NA August 15, 2006

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Release: JP January 31, 2008, NA March 9, 2008

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Release: JP November 23, 2011, NA November 20, 2011

Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Release: JP November 8, 2012, NA June 9, 2013

Pikmin 3
Release: JP July 13, 2013, NA August 4, 2013
Platform: Nintendo Wii-U

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Release: JP December 26, 2013, NA November 22, 2013

Links:

Official Site: http://www.monolithsoft.co.jp/

Golnei

Amazing folks.

The turnaround in their reputation is astonishing.

I agree - comparing the amount of vitriol in the 'Monolith acquired by Nintendo' thread to their current glowing reputation is really striking. Especially considering we're much more accustomed to downward trajectories for developers.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Truly one of the PS2's finest opponent-based action games.

Percy

Banned
Man... Disaster was so good and Nintendo treated the game like shit when it came to the Western release.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

lol

Loona

The dialogues and references in NxC and PXZ are amazing works of research and love for the represented series.

Sadist

Baten Kaitos <3 Fuck the great Mizutti though. Origins not releasing in Europe still sucks.

Disaster is such a weird game though. One of the craziest games in terms of meshing genres together. Even though it's not the best of Monolith, it's pretty memorable.

Xenoblade is just amazing.

Cool thread, subbed.

If you didn't know already, the director for xenoblade and character designer/art are both husband and wife :)

They worked on previous ff games also. Like ff6.

Marcel

I love me some Monolithsoft but damn don't remind me about Xenosaga 1. That game is hot garbage and it wasn't the cutscenes that were the big problem. No BGM? The glacial pacing? Ugh.

Kouriozan

I also enjoyed Disaster : Day of Crisis.
Played through the game 4 time, the story was crazy but liked the cutscene, especially in the little girl's house near the volcano.

Happy Anniversary to Monolithsoft. I don't actually have a lot of experience with their games. Played Xenoblade but wasn't feeling it, I think that's just due to not being up for it at the time so I need to go back and try again. I also played Project X Zone but that game sucked :( Will need to pick up some Xenosaga soon to watch those.

If I should play one Monolithsoft game other than Xenoblade, what should I play?

Bennettt2

Happy anniversary to Monolithsoft. This thread made me check out some Xenosaga 3 story cutscenes and they're still as powerful as I remember.

Some serious talent, they have.

Ricky 7

The made the best RPG last gen' they turned into one of my favourite developers after playing just one game.

sublimit

Banned
I am a new fan,my first Monolith Soft game was Xenoblade Chronicles but it was such a great game that it really gave me hope that JRPGs could regain once again what they have lost in the previous generation.Nintendo seems like they are also the perfect parent company for them,and i think they have grown a lot as a studio since the acquisition.
Currently my hype for Xenoblade Chronicles X has reached dangerous levels.That game (and Bloodborne) are easily my most anticipated games next year.

Hopefully one day Namco will release an HD collection of the Xenosaga trilogy because us European JRPG fans were seriously shafted with the original games (and with Xenogears thanks to SE.)

Ultratech

Yup, Monolithsoft is pretty awesome.

Think the first actual game of theirs I played fully was Soma Bringer, which despite being a Diablo clone, was pretty damn fun.

The Baten Kaitos games are very good as well (though I need to find some time to actually fully play through both games).

And I can't say much about Xenoblade that everyone else hasn't said at some point or another.

(It's also quite fun seeing all the references and callbacks they put into their games.)

My favorite RPG company ever since I first played Baten Kaitos in summer 2008.

Baten Kaitos has the best battle system of any turn-based RPG for me.

I loved the religious symbolism in Xenogears and Xenosaga.

The wide open expanses of the Xenoblade games are what I want in RPG'S.

Xenoblade X is going to give me something I've always dreamed of, real-time mech use and traversal in the same areas you navigate as a human.

Also Disaster Day of Crisis is beautifully stupid.

Long-live Monolith Soft. Hope they'll be able to get their next major game out by 2018.

lo zaffo

I'm a fan of Xenoblade too, even though I'm just use to listen to its original soundtrack: indeed I never started playing it, and yes I have my copy and a fuctional Wii.

I will like to see Monolith soft being a relevant Nintendo asset and to see its outputs growing in popularity and market shares.

Tom_Cody

I am sorry to say that I haven't played any of their games.

I can't wait to play the crap out of Xenoblade when it releases for the n3DS.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Hated Xenosaga, thought Baten Kaitos was an interesting, if heavily flawed game... Picked up Origins due to some praise by former GAFfers like Dragona, and it totally blew away expectations and made me think "these guys are getting better with every game...". Then Xenoblade came out and it shot into the ranks of favorite RPGs ever, not an easy feat when you've played 100+ of the genre.

Hated Xenosaga, thought Baten Kaitos was an interesting, if heavily flawed game... Picked up Origins due to some praise by former GAFfers like Dragona, and it totally blew away expectations and made me think "these guys are getting better with every game...". Then Xenoblade came out and it shot into the ranks of favorite RPGs ever, not an easy feat when you've played 100+ of the genre.

Yeah, Ep1 was a trainwreck, but the Takahashis have gotten some good self-editing going now to make it work better. After Xenoblade, I'm buying their games sight-unseen, and need to get my hands on BK:O.

Top Bottom