• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

151 artists each take on the original 151 Pokémon

These are incredible. Thnx OP.

tumblr_m2rk5vvdib1rop2v0o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m2dxumXlgl1rop2v0o1_1280.jpg

:D

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's really the only group where most gamers can say they've recognized due to the shared point of reference. I last played Gen 2 and I barely recognize those.

I agree. This is for charity too, I think, and likely aimed at the common public. I completely understand why they'd focus on the Pokemon most likely to be known by non-fans, and don't fault them for only using the original 151. Hell, even then there's probably a few of the original 151 that a lot of non-fans don't quite remember like Tangela and Exeggutor.

And I'm a fan who enjoys a lot of the later Pokemon as well, but there exists tons of fan-art for them too, so there's really no need for a Gen War here or thinking this is done out of the "only 151 canon discontinuity" mindset.

So you enjoyed the other images right?

I love recontextualisation. One of my favourite things.

Oh yeah, the others are fine.

But, like, Victreebell was sort of the moment where I realized that the "What if Pokemon were real-life monsters?!" has been done to death and I don't care anymore.

I like the jokey and whimsical variations more, honestly.

Magnemite/Magneton are awesome, also.

But, like, Victreebell was sort of the moment where I realized that the "What if Pokemon were real-life monsters?!" has been done to death and I don't care anymore.

Agreed, the realistic drawings are pretty lame to me.

Magnus

I saw the Farfetch'd one independent of its tag/name, and it took a few seconds to understand what I was looking at. Only once I dwelled on the leek stalks... ;(

Jintor

Fair enough. With 151 artists, there's something for everyone here.

Top Bottom