• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 years later Baldur's Gate 2 is still one of the best rpgs ever made

GenericUser

BG2 is the ultimate RPG. Everything else, even the best of the best, is still just an attempt to reach the same heights.

We'll said. Could not have said it better. BG2 is a league of its own. There are a lot of masterpiece RPGs, but BG2 it the definitive crpg ever and the Masterpiece of masterpieces and I seriously don't think that it will ever be topped.

StereoVsn

How does Divinity Original Sin compare? played it a bit but never completed. pondering if to pick this up.
Divinity OS has the best turned based magic combat in CRPG ever made. The sense of humor is decent, there are some good/interesting puzzles but the storyline a dcharacters are middling. It's still very much worth a playthrough and one of the best recent CRPGs (alongside PoE and Shadowrun games). Hopefully Divinity OS2 will have a large jump in storyline perspective and it looks like it does from what I played from EA.

Zushin

I have BG1 and 2 on GOG but haven't really played them because I was a little overwhelmed to start with. Are the enhanced editions much different in terms of introducing the DND rules to beginners?

Vortex566

Remember playing it with my Dad when I was younger and I will always remember the cloak that made the beholder section of the game a cake walk.

Baalzebup

I'll never forget that Firkraag fight. I had to cheese it so hard with fireball scrolls from outside his range haha.
I don't think there are enough fireballs in the world to solve that particular equation.

OT: Nice timing on the topic overall though. I've just recently started a frest BG: EE run with the intention of going all the way to clearing ToB. No mods or other fancies this time. It has been fucking ages since I've done a proper vanilla run.

StereoVsn

I have BG1 and 2 on GOG but haven't really played them because I was a little overwhelmed to start with. Are the enhanced editions much different in terms of introducing the DND rules to beginners?
Not really but they do have some QoL improvements. For the rule set check out gamefaqs for BG1&2 as there are some good guides on the subject there.

xealo

No, but it has some nice QoL features like being able to zoom in and out with the scroll wheel.

There's a number of outright exploits that has been closed off in the EE, but if you've never played that you wont miss them anyway.

bati

Quick question.

Any of you grew up on CRPGs from 80s to mid 90s?

Or is your RPG prime mainly in the late 90s to early 2000s?

BG1 was actually my first rpg (got my first PC in '96). Fallout 2 was the second and I tried Deus Ex when it came out but I didn't really appreciate these games until years later when I replayed them.

How does Divinity Original Sin compare? played it a bit but never completed. pondering if to pick this up.

Besides the isometric view (BG2 has a fixed camera position though) they don't really have much in common. BG is real time with pause (but the background calculations are based on rounds) and has a lot more serious tone. I've played DOS up until mid act 2 twice now and quit both times due to writing and micromanagement pains (hunting down skill books). It's a great game, but it's a little different from what I usually look for in rpgs. One of these days I'll try to look for a good Lone Wolf duo setup and try to power through to act 3 to see if things improve there.

Jeeeesh after that monologue OP I had to fire up the game and get started yet again! Thank you!

Enjoy! Figured I'd write this before the steam sale ends, in case anyone gets tempted ;)

No, EE are mostly about bug fixes and UI improvements. Core rules are mostly the same but they did patch some exploits and put some caps in place (summons etc). Two most common things that people usually trip over with BG games are thac0 and armor - because they go into negatives. Basically, the lower they are, the better. Second thing is the huge array of spells - for priests you can safely stick to heals and buffs and since they automatically get spells with levels you don't have to look for scrolls to keep them up to date. With mages it's different, there are different specializations that prevent you from casting spells of opposing schools, you have to learn the scrolls and then pick the spells you want to memorize for the day. Mid level casters will be able to cast about 20-25 memorized spells per day, and these are replenished with resting (there is no mana system).

To be honest the basics are fairly easy to grasp, you can pick one of straightforward kits like Inquisitor which is a pretty powerful paladin sub-type, quickly check the npc companion list to see which are good aligned and where to find them and then google 'best' cleric and mage spells.

I've never played a Baldurs Gate and know nothing of it (other than it being DnD based), and because of this thread (plus the summer sale) I snap bought the game. It's currently downloading - wish me luck GAF!

GenericUser

I've never played a Baldurs Gate and know nothing of it (other than it being DnD based), and because of this thread (plus the summer sale) I snap bought the game. It's currently downloading - wish me luck GAF!
Maybe one of the best decisions in your gaming life. Congratulations.

Kaji AF16

A legendary masterpiece. I remember playing it at launch and instantly feeling that it would be widely considered a crowning achievement not only for its genre, but for videogames as a sophisticated medium of expression.

An extremely interesting, very well writen, aesthethically beautiful journey.

I replay it once every few years and I am still amazed at its greatness. I ultimately believe that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and its expansions have taken the WRPG throne, but Shadows of Amn will be forever revered in my pantheon of favorite games of all time.

Quick question.

I started PC gaming in 1994. I didn't follow the evolution of the genre in real time, but I've played most of the 80's and early 90's cRPGs.

MikeyB

Ok ok! Im picking this up!

Anything I should know? Are there different versions?

Both the first and the second start off slow. Be patient. It really does become worth it. Also, both the pause button and the button to highlight items that have dropped are your friends. Your alignment and reputation each affects how party members (and the rest of the world) react to you and man oh man the party interaction, while not super common, is great. An evil playthrough is a little tougher.

The enhanced version is the way to go.

Finally, if you have the patience for it, Jan Jansen has some of the best banter in the game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Actually just restarted the trilogy again myself. Currently deep into BG1 using a party mostly made up of EE newcomers for curiosity(first play without Minsc et al.).

I actually find IWD holds up much stronger as a game. The environments, dungeons, and variety of monsters are more cleverly devised thrpugh its progression whereas BG kind of fafs about over-exposing fodder that drags down the narrative delights in all three games. But there is no doubt that BG tells a more riveting tale across its games.

A lot of posters argue 'no' above, but I somewhat disagree with them and feel the EE games do offer more QoL improvements that help newcomers slightly more than given credit.

Reworked tooltips provide more detailed explanations for spells and other attributes that the original games can often presume player familiarity. Many UI features, such as lifebars and turn action icons, help suss out WTF is even happening in the chaos of combat. Highlighting equipment stat changes and which party member benefits(green numbers good, red numbers bad!) also helps newcomers to quickly discern how that awkward D&D 2.5 gear ruleset works in an idiot-proof manner. The journal is easier to follow, and much more...

The EE isn't a total overhaul that hand-holds players through the occasional mire that is D&D 2.5, but if you are new to the game the EE is unquestionably the superior version to play.

xealo

Ok ok! Im picking this up!

Anything I should know? Are there different versions?

Just stay away from mage classes like wild mages or sorcerers, and you'll be fine.

Wild Mage has some quirks not really suitable for first timers, and sorcerer has a class setup where it's very easy to ruin your character when levelling up if you don't know what spells are worth picking, which you probably wont know all that well.

For those starting for the first time, my recommendations for starting character:

Paladin (Inquisitor, Cavalier or Blackguard kit)
Fighter/Cleric
Sorcerer (Lookup recommended spells for Sorcs when leveling up)

I've listed them in order of complexity to play, but each is a good first time character because they are mostly straight-forward and pretty hard to mess up. Paladins get the heaviest armor and biggest 2-H sword you can find and just kick ass on their own. Fighter/Cleric can fight on the front lines really well + get a decent amount of spells (and as a Cleric you get all your spells automatically, if you don't like the ones you picked for the day it is very easy to switch them out). Sorcerer you get a limited number of spells, which is tough to pick as a newbie but there are plenty of guides, but they have no stat requirements and wizards always need some babying anyway so why not play as one?

For when you start out, feel free to set the difficulty down to Easy and leave it there. Quicksave a lot, if any of your party members die just reload a save. Resurrecting them is an enormous pain in the ass until higher levels.

bati

Just stay away from mage classes like wild mages or sorcerers, and you'll be fine.

Wild Mage has some quirks not really suitable for first timers, and sorcerer has a class setup where it's very easy to ruin your character when levelling up if you don't know what spells are worth picking, which you probably wont know all that well.

It's not all doom and gloom, you can fix many mistakes with EEKeeper and it doesn't even void achievements if that's a concern.

Linkark07

Banned
Agree with this. Baldur's Gate 2 is one of the best RPGs I have ever played and one of my favorites too.

Excellent party members (Jan Jansen is the best for baster), awesome gameplay, and superb soundtracks. And Irenicus. Irenicus is a superb villain, especially thanks to David Warner; his voice is so grandiose.

And let's not forget all those mods that help enhance the experience.

While Throne of Bhaal isn't as awesome of Shadow of Amn, but it is still a superb expansion and a great way for finish the Bhaalspawn story.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Always see discussion on BG1 and BG2 (and yeah, they've earned it), but what was the concensus on Siege of Dragonspear?

grumble

For those starting for the first time, my recommendations for starting character:

Paladin (Inquisitor, Cavalier or Blackguard kit)
Fighter/Cleric
Sorcerer (Lookup recommended spells for Sorcs when leveling up)

I've listed them in order of complexity to play, but each is a good first time character because they are mostly straight-forward and pretty hard to mess up. Paladins get the heaviest armor and biggest 2-H sword you can find and just kick ass on their own. Fighter/Cleric can fight on the front lines really well + get a decent amount of spells (and as a Cleric you get all your spells automatically, if you don't like the ones you picked for the day it is very easy to switch them out). Sorcerer you get a limited number of spells, which is tough to pick as a newbie but there are plenty of guides, but they have no stat requirements and wizards always need some babying anyway so why not play as one?

For when you start out, feel free to set the difficulty down to Easy and leave it there. Quicksave a lot, if any of your party members die just reload a save. Resurrecting them is an enormous pain in the ass until higher levels.

For main character use Kensai/Mage. God-character.

For main character use Kensai/Mage. God-character.

For your first playthrough? Hell naw.

Always see discussion on BG1 and BG2 (and yeah, they've earned it), but what was the concensus on Siege of Dragonspear?

I'm not sure if there is a consensus but I thought it was pretty good? It can be a little tough to recommend though, for instance on the steam sale right now:

BG1EE: 6.79
BG2EE: 6.79
Siege of Dragonspear by itself: 10 bucks

Spending more than either exceptional base game for an expansion pack? ehhhh.
There's also a 'Complete Saga' that includes all 3 for twenty. Obviously worth the money but for 13$ you get two awesome, complete games.

BG2 was great, for me mainly because you get the castle... (that was BG2 right...)?

Never did complete it though, kept dying when being attacked by the vampires in the town at night (I think it was BG2 and not 1). I should go back to them and try and complete them, but time :(

bati

BG2 was great, for me mainly because you get the castle... (that was BG2 right...)?

You get a stronghold, yep. And unlike Pillars where you got Caed Nua each class in BG2 has its own unique stronghold, with unique quests. They really went all out with this game :)

xealo

Never did complete it though, kept dying when being attacked by the vampires in the town at night (I think it was BG2 and not 1). I should go back to them and try and complete them, but time :(

What stronghold you get varies between what class you pick. E.g rogues and mage type characters do not get that castle, even if they can still go there for the quest.

Quick question.

Bit of both for me. I played (but never got into) Ultima, Wizardry, etc. My first big foray into loving CRPGs was the Eye of the Beholder/Ravenloft/etc era of D&D games.

But the BG/IWD/Torment-era was more my kind of thing (more story, dialogue, etc).

Uriah

You've convinced me OP. Is Siege of Dragonspear worth buying and playing though?

Edit: Looks like the DLC is for the first game. Still, is it worth picking up?

Decado

It was a game with a ton of combat and the combat system was pretty poor (DnD ruleset didn't help). RTwP continues to be shit to this day, sadly. It is easily been surpassed by many games.

bati

Edit: Looks like the DLC is for the first game. Still, is it worth picking up?

I haven't played SoD but the reception has been mixed, some people like it, some don't.

Picked up BG1 and BG2 during the Steam Summer sale. Is it worth it to play the first before BG2?

Hard to say. Some companions are available in both games so you'd probably feel a little more attached to them once you met them again in BG2. There are also a few references to the first game that you'd miss without playing it. But I have to be honest, low level AD&D is not all that great. It's best around level 10-20, and that's the bulk of playtime in BG2. Second game is also more focused, with better quests and writing.

Personally I'd start with BG2 and if you end up liking it, play BG1 afterwards.

Pilgrimzero

BG1 introduced me to the world of 2nd ed D&D.

It was after that I sought out a real D&D game at the local gaming store.

Good times.

fester

Banned
It's a shame how much the RPG genre has regressed over the years. At the time when BG 1 and 2 came out I knew I was playing something special, but I had no idea the industry would fail to build off the foundation that was laid. Even Bioware themselves have stumbled majorly from the heights of Baldur's Gate. I'd say Divinity: OS is a step in the right direction, but I don't see this trend changing any time soon. Not sure if indie games will be able to get us back to this point.

Audioboxer

I've not played BG1/BG2 or Planescape Torment xD I do not know what is wrong with me.

How did Torment: Tides of Numenera turn out? It goes for cheap as shit on PS4, but I'm going to assume it might be a dodgy port/unpatched? (yes I know PC is best, just came into my mind as I recently seen it on Amazon for like £12 in passing).

edit: I also own a copy of Divinity Original Sin which I haven't played either...

Great OP. In fact, I did not remember this Robe of Vecna, and looked it up on a wiki. I saw the Hand and Eye of Venca and googled them. Then googled the spells they grant. Holy crap it pays to be evil in the D&D universe.

After playing the recent remaster of Planescape Torment, I loved the story but thought the actual gameplay was insulting to *all* RPGs. So I purchased BG2:EE to experience what a balanced game was like again. I'm going to play the Planescape sequel first tho.

Witcher III is still the GOAT. BGII is now second place in my eyes.

A legendary masterpiece. I remember playing it at launch and instantly feeling that it would be widely considered a crowning achievement not only for its genre, but for videogames as a sophisticated medium of expression.

An extremely interesting, very well writen, aesthethically beautiful journey.

I thought the same thing on release. It blew me away, throughout the whole journey. Throne of Bhaal is fine, but not even close to main BG 2.

I'm so glad you mentioned the loot, it is incredible that virtually no other game seems to understand the principals put forth in BG2 - actually have interesting weapons and armour. Even the other isometric crpgs seem to forget this. Funnily enough the closest I've seen is Destiny for sheet uniqueness and variety but even those are not tied to specific quests for the most part.

Top Bottom