• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

89f38771dd6ecabf366e366ffcb6276f.gif

Yellowstone was a bit too woke for my tastes, but a series based in the late 1800's hopefully remedies most of that. Sam ****ing Elliott let's go!

Rival

Gold Member
Huge fan of Yellowstone and I love Sam Elliott. This is one of the reasons I subscribed to paramount+. Got it with showtime for a full year for $129.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Ok I’ll bite .. how is Yellowstone woke lol ?

anyways can’t wait for this. Westerns are a must watch for me

This characters name is "Don't you feel bad about what your people did to my people"? Say the line Bart, my God.

Yellowstone-season-4-Kelsey-Asbille-as-Monica-Dutton-3068783.jpg

I quit after 2.5 seasons because the original sin cult stuff.

Plus, there was a scene where Rip hugs Jimmy and that made zero sense.

Last edited:

Dural

This characters name is "Don't you feel bad about what your people did to my people"? Say the line Bart, my God.

Eh, with a show about a family ranch vs tribal land vs developers I thought the "woke" stuff was relatively minimal (and I'd consider myself fairly anti-woke). That scene with Rip and Jimmy I thought was great, added more dimension to Rip's character.

I do find it funny that the main Native American character is of Chinese American descent, surprised she hasn't been canceled for it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Eh, with a show about a family ranch vs tribal land vs developers I thought the "woke" stuff was relatively minimal (and I'd consider myself fairly anti-woke). That scene with Rip and Jimmy I thought was great, added more dimension to Rip's character.

I do find it funny that the main Native American character is of Chinese American descent, surprised she hasn't been canceled for it.

Nothing wrong with the questions raised by Yellowstone. The problem I had was that it's question ("White people are evil right?") seemingly turned into its answer ("Yes, white people are evil.")

This episode of Wagon Train came out in 1962, explores the same question as Yellowstone, but reaches a completely different conclusion after 40 minutes ("Skin color is irrelevant. Character and values are what matter.")

Through 2.5 seasons of Yellowstone, every Dutton and Dutton adjacent (white people) become irredeemable and the woke signaling becomes gratuitous. The show made in 1962 got it right. The show made in 2019 got it wrong, repeatedly.

As for the Rip hugging Jimmy incident. That character (toxic masculinity personified, arm of a cursed, cold, tough as nails family, isolated PTSD existence) does not show affection by turning into Joy Bahar welxoming a guest from The View. That's little scene got me thinking "Hollywood can't write men anymore".

Last edited:

Dural

They show both good and bad in all the characters, including the Duttons, they're not shown as being all bad. The tribe, which you'd think would do no wrong, aren't shown in the best light a lot of the time too. I'd say the developers are the worst throughout the series. It doesn't seem as one sided to me as you see it, in fact, I'd say it's handled pretty even handed. Compared to a lot of stuff today I'm pretty happy with what they've done with the show.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So anyone watching this and thinking it's not that good? The German pioneers are stupid and niave to the point of parody. The bit about it being illegal to swim in Germany was especially dumb. If it wasn't for Sam Elliot being a curmudgeonly badass I would be done with the show. Also the bleached white teeth are massively distracting and emblematic of a show whose 'gritiness' is only skin deep.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

That's it? The series has been designated "woke" for a few scenes?? Jesus wept, you cunts literally throw woke around so much its lost all meaning

dorkimoe

That's it? The series has been designated "woke" for a few scenes?? Jesus wept, you cunts literally throw woke around so much its lost all meaning
Yeah while her scenes are really annoying, you dont even have to bother with them they have no connection to the story. Honestly not sure why they are even bothering with her anymore

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Her characters singular function is to remind the viewer how evil white people are. But then, once her scenes are done you get to watch this guy explain how evil white people are.

l-intro-1642114891.jpg

Then you get to see the central family (The Duttons) do evil @#$% self reflect by saying "Maybe we are evil."

No thanks. It's woke propaganda.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Bit of a running theme at this point. Female protagonist? Woke. Female character is not a 11/10 supermodel? Woke. Person of color in the cast? Woke. Gay person in the cast? Woke.

Its honestly just funny to me at this point lol

Last edited:
Bit of a running theme at this point. Female protagonist? Woke. Female character is not a 11/10 supermodel? Woke. Person of color in the cast? Woke. Gay person in the cast? Woke.

Its honestly just funny to me at this point lol
And yet The Expanse is universally loved by almost everybody despite having an incredibly diverse cast, prominent inter-racial relationships, and some of the most bad-ass women in all of fiction.

Curious.

Nobody_Important

So that’s your response to being proven totally wrong in a single post, it’s just the intolerant racists are inconsistent.

It’s the ideology being pushed in the story that makes this crap suck my dude, at least we can count on you to be consistently disingenuous.
jennifer-lawrence-j-law.gif

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So that’s your response to being proven totally wrong in a single post, it’s just the intolerant racists are inconsistent.

It’s the ideology being pushed in the story that makes this crap suck my dude, at least we can count on you to be consistently disingenuous.

At this point it's just "oMg ItS nOt PrOpaGaNdA!"

The country has been Red Dawned by a mind virus and there are people that want to put their head in the sand and deny it.

Nobody_Important

At this point it's just "oMg ItS nOt PrOpaGaNdA!"

The country has been Red Dawned by a mind virus and there are people that want to put their head in the sand and deny it.
Yeah that makes much more sense lol

Explain to me how any of the examples I gave are "propaganda". I'll wait. :)

Last edited:
What examples? You just said people dont like women, black people, and gays, and that’s what all this woke criticism is all about, then you were proven wrong by a prominent counterexample, nice try though.

Dural

So anyone watching this and thinking it's not that good? The German pioneers are stupid and niave to the point of parody. The bit about it being illegal to swim in Germany was especially dumb. If it wasn't for Sam Elliot being a curmudgeonly badass I would be done with the show. Also the bleached white teeth are massively distracting and emblematic of a show whose 'gritiness' is only skin deep.

While I do think the pioneers can be a bit annoying in how naive they are, I'd imagine this is how a lot of the people coming over from Europe actually were. I've enjoyed it so far, it makes me think what the Oregon Trail games would be like if they were made into a show. Trading the ox for horses in the first episode and getting the supplies, bit by snake kills you, axels breaking, forging the river and people drowning.

I called the boyfriend dying to my wife as soon as they screwed, that was a bit too predictable. Didn't expect it that episode though. I have been surprised by just how many have died, seems like several die every episode.

poppabk

While I do think the pioneers can be a bit annoying in how naive they are, I'd imagine this is how a lot of the people coming over from Europe actually were. I've enjoyed it so far, it makes me think what the Oregon Trail games would be like if they were made into a show. Trading the ox for horses in the first episode and getting the supplies, bit by snake kills you, axels breaking, forging the river and people drowning.

I called the boyfriend dying to my wife as soon as they screwed, that was a bit too predictable. Didn't expect it that episode though. I have been surprised by just how many have died, seems like several die every episode.
I think it's way too extreme, from what I understand pilgrims tended to be too prepared.

This is the kind of stuff that was jettisoned - they had too much food, too many useful but heavy tools, too many guns and ammo.
In the show we get people who have too little food, a fucking piano and no guns.
The real life death toll was somewhere like 10% for the entire trip. In the show they have lost roughly 50% and they aren't even out of Texas yet.

I might still be able to suspend my disbelief if you didn't have a middle class teenage girl from Tennessee naively swanning around Texas without a care in the world while simultaneously being worldly enough to never be at risk even while swimming naked in bandit country.

Just doesn't work for me, except for Sam Elliott, who might be enough to keep me watching.

Last edited:

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I love this show. The last season of Yellow stone was a dud. I don't care what % of pioneers die or that the HS girl has hairy pits. I'm tuning in every week.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

89f38771dd6ecabf366e366ffcb6276f.gif

Yellowstone was a bit too woke for my tastes, but a series based in the late 1800's hopefully remedies most of that. Sam ****ing Elliott let's go!

That gif of wendy always freaks me out, apparently she fainted, Ive fainted before and it was not as sudden as that. The sheer terror in her face, truly freaky.

poppabk

I love this show. The last season of Yellow stone was a dud. I don't care what % of pioneers die or that the HS girl has hairy pits. I'm tuning in every week.
I can see why people love it, its a big budget western with some beautiful cinematography, and some great characters. Like I said I haven't switched it off, I just wish I could be immersed in the world, instead of being constantly pulled out by things that just don't ring true on a common sense level.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I can see why people love it, its a big budget western with some beautiful cinematography, and some great characters. Like I said I haven't switched it off, I just wish I could be immersed in the world, instead of being constantly pulled out by things that just don't ring true on a common sense level.
I know this is stupid and why I care I don't know. The thing that gets me in this the most is her talking about how magical the kiss was and how much fun it was. I haven't seen a tooth brush yet. I bet the cowboy hasn't cleaned his mouth in years. I can't imagine the taste.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
If you've chosen to focus on dental hygiene over all the other absolutely amazing things this show has to offer, it's more a reflection on you than anything. I mean Jesus, why watch anything at all? It's all fake.

Top Bottom