• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1TB "Ultimate Player" PS4 confirmed

Dimorphic

Via Kotaku

Well, it’s now totally official. Sony is rolling out a 1TB PlayStation 4 that it’s calling the “Ultimate Player 1TB Edition.” More like ultimate storage, am I right?

As of writing, the 1TB version is announced only for “select Europe and PAL territories.” It will launch on July 15 and Sony’s PlayStation Blog says to “check with your local retailer” for pricing.

Sony hasn’t yet released a full spec sheet, but this likely matches up with the other CUH-1200 series consoles, which are slightly lighter and use less energy.

I still don't think 1TB is enough space tbf.

Adam M

let's say that 1 game is about 50gb, so you can play with 20 games if you wanr ro with 1TB storage right?

itsgreen

The internal HDD is user replaceable so that shouldn't be a problem on PS4...

Last time I checked 4TB 2.5HDD's were available, not sure if they fit (in term of height though)

Respawn

Banned
I'm already pushing 1T. 1.5 would've been the sweet spot.
Remember folks the PS4 drive is easily replaceable.

KORNdoggy

let's say that 1 game is about 50gb, so you can play with 20 games if you wanr ro with 1TB storage right?

yeah, pretty much. not sure if people actually juggle 20 games though? so you can always remove games you've stopped playing. it's not like they take long to install if you deceide to go back to a game. 1TB seems like the ideal amount tbh. i have 1.5 and i've never been close to filling it and i own 40+ PS4 games. as long as you remove what you've finished playing even 500gig is fine.

Good for europe. Considering how the original PS3 launch in the UK we got stuck with the measly 40gb consoles, glad they gave them a better hdd storage option.

Even then, id say buy a seagate expansion 2tb and rip the hdd out yourself.

Seanspeed

Banned
I still don't think 1TB is enough space tbf.
It's what these consoles should have launched with. This should have been an announcement of a 2TB version(at least).

yeah, pretty much. not sure if people actually juggle 20 games though? so you can always remove games you've stopped playing. it's not like they take long to install if you deceide to go back to a game.
With the way PSN is, even with good internet speed, big downloads can sometimes take super long.

OmegaDL50

The internal HDD is user replaceable so that shouldn't be a problem on PS4...

Last time I checked 4TB 2.5HDD's were available, not sure if they fit (in term of height though)

PS4's HDD cage has a maximum height of 9.5mm so the largest current capacity drive that would fit inside the console is 2TB

Now there are means to get around this such as using a SATA extender cable to plug into a external SATA HDD which has a larger capacity but having a wire sticking out of the console isn't exactly clean, so other than that 2TB is the largest internal HDD size the PS4 will support........for now.

So both the new 500GB and 1TB models will have the lower power consumption and matte finish.

My feelings are mixed on the switch to matte going forward on both new PS4s in production and the new 1TB Xbox One -- it feels a bit like penny pinching to me, and while the quality of plastics on all three current generation consoles isn't amazing, the glossy "quarter" on both PS4 and One were a distinctive part of the design. Both look a bit pedestrian now. Especially so with the Xbox One, which now loses the chrome disc drive, similar to what Sony did with the 40GB and 80GB "fat" PS3 models.

But if it means more margins on hardware I'm all for it, we need this generation to be more sustainable than the last, and I'm sure some people will prefer having an all-matte finish since it won't scratch as much as the glossy plastic.

Edit: 1TB PS4 not matte

I just hit my 500GB limit on my original last night. I deleted a bunch of games I haven't played in months and freed up about 250GB. Realistically, no matter how many games I buy in total I don't think I'll ever be in a position where I need more than 7 or 8 on there all at the same time.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's what these consoles should have launched with. This should have been an announcement of a 2TB version(at least).

With the way PSN is, even with good internet speed, big downloads can sometimes take super long.

Which is (partly) why I still buy all my big AAA titles on disc. Just pop it in, and one minute later you're up and running (except for the 5GB of patches you have to download, of course... but you can at least start playing offline without those).

Ultranist

Banned
I have 4 TB in my PC. That means that i'm four times more ultimate player.
tumblr_lvu744YBNk1qekupso1_250.gif

6TB + 512GB SSD here

KORNdoggy

that's why i don't buy digital. lol. discs are cheaper, not linked to a system that will be abandoned at some point, and saves me the hastle of having to download them over and over for the sake of memory management.

Pimpbaa

Just don't expect to save files for more than five games to the PS+ cloud.

Yeah this is a massive pain in the ass. Especially when whatever game that caused it to go over the ps+ cloud space limit will not auto upload saves anymore even after freeing up space. Unless I'm missing something.

HUELEN10

Ultimate player? Add the ability to actually add storage to the console, then we'll talk.

Not gonna lie though, a greater default storage size is a step in the right direction though, but situation could be a LOT better.

KORNdoggy

Yeah this is a massive pain in the ass. Especially when whatever game that caused it to go over the ps+ cloud space limit will not auto upload saves anymore even after freeing up space. Unless I'm missing something.

free up space in the cloud, then delete all notifications for uploads/downloads. that should fix it.

TI82

Banned
Ultimate player? Add the ability to actually add storage to the console, then we'll talk.

Not gonna lie though, a greater default storage size is a step in the right direction though, but situation could be a LOT better.

Heuelen you should know from my post in line that you can change the hard drive on your own. No having to deal with super slow USB either :)

Carl

1TB is plenty. Delete shit you don't need. If you have it on disc it takes literally a minute before you can play it again

Vashetti

Banned
Heuelen you should know from my post in line that you can change the hard drive on your own. No having to deal with super slow USB either :)

USB 3.0 is faster than the SATA II inside the console. XB1 owners have commonly stated they have faster performance with their external drives.

hodgy100

Good for europe. Considering how the original PS3 launch in the UK we got stuck with the measly 40gb consoles, glad they gave them a better hdd storage option.

Even then, id say buy a seagate expansion 2tb and rip the hdd out yourself.

huh? we had 60gb PS3's at launch...
they were upgradeable too.

Trup1aya

Still would prefer they support external... 1tb wouldn't get me through the gen if ps4 became my primary. The first thing I'd do is swap it out for something larger, now I'm left with an extra 1tb HDD that I can no longer use to store my games.... It's a waste.

1TB is plenty. Delete shit you don't need. If you have it on disc it takes literally a minute before you can play it again

That's a terribly inelegant solution. What of the games I own digitally?... And the games I own on disc; wouldn't reinstalling them only give me access to the early portions of the game until the complete installation is done? If it's a game I beat, then deleted for space, surely I'd like to have access to the whole game if i revisit it.

Vashetti

Banned

That's only for the initial install to boot up the game. The rest installs in the background for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the game.

I always wait until the full install is done, to get the maximum performance.

A 1TB PS4 console for $549.00 AUD has been on Big W's stock system for a few weeks now. I wasn't sure if it was a mistake, given it never eventuated at E3. It's odd that it wasn't part of their conference.

KORNdoggy

That's only for the initial install to boot up the game. The rest installs in the background for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of the game.

I always wait until the full install is done, to get the maximum performance.

why? you can start once it's installed that first portion. as you say the rest installs as you play. waiting around doing nothing while it installs fully just seem....weird.

scsa

PS4's are like buses. You wait for a new one and suddenly two come along at once. Not only has Sony announced a new 1TB 'Ultimate Player' Edition for Europe but a revised version of the 500GB console is launching in Japan at the end of June.

The new edition of the console will gradually launch worldwide after the Japanese launch and is 10% lighter and has 8% less power consumption than the original. Also giving it a more, err, "casual look" according to the announcement is the complete matte effect rather than that shiny half we've grown accustomed to. This version appears to be staying at 500GB but this is a good sign that Sony is reducing the cost of the console and hopefully that'll pass onto us in the shape of a price cut. The 1TB PS4 will be released in Europe on July the 15th.

http://www.gamesradar.com/1tb-ultimate-player-ps4-and-new-lighter-console-sony/

First PS4 Hardware revision?

Vashetti

Banned
why? you can start once it's installed that first portion. as you say the rest installs as you play. waiting around doing nothing while it installs fully just seem....weird.

It's writing to the drive, the same drive you are reading from when playing the game. I believe tests have been done and shown that performance can be worse whilst the disc is still installing.

KORNdoggy

It's writing to the drive, the same drive you are reading from when playing the game. I believe tests have been done and shown that performance can be worse whilst the disc is still installing.

i've never noticed anything major playing from the get go myself. you'd maybe have issues in something open world though maybe? something with a lot of assets to stream in

1TB is fine IMO. 500GB causes issues, but with a little bit of swapping stuff out occasionally 1TB should be enough for most.

Edit: I'd still rather buy a 1TB SSHD to be honest..

Top Bottom