• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Minutes of Hitman Absolution Gameplay [Update: Details]

Druz

Keyser Soze said:
It's not..

From recent Edge article

• IO have created a brand new engine called the Glacier 2 for the game.
  • Agent 47 is on the run, they showed off a level in a library.
  • There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.
  • With the instinct mode you monitor enemies trough walls, burning-red trails highlight the patrol route enemies are about to take, and the mode also highlight points of intrest (like climable ledges and vents). It can also be used to maximise your disguise.
  • The instinct mode can only be used for a short time, it is powered by a bar that refills when you do silent, stealty takedowns.
  • Enemy patrol paths will now take organic and shorter paths, this is done so the player can anticipate when the AI is going to do something and not getting randomly caught.
  • The mini-map in the corner of the screen is going to stay, the will give the usual info like past games.
  • A new take on the threat meter: a grey circle appears in the centre of the screen, edges of which occasionally show where the player has been spotted.
  • You can make weapons that are built into the invironments and are unique to each setting.
  • The sneak animation has changed, Agent 47 will kill more gracefully.
  • Levels will now be divided into discrete checkpoints.
  • More focus on smaller sandboxes, because they want to control the pacing better and bring more variety to the gameplay.
  • Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.
  • Longtime 47's voice actor David Bateson will not be returning.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28478908&postcount=318

FUCK!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Salazar said:
lol at me ?

Pour quoi ?
I think they mean this.

Interfectum said:
hitmanabsolution.jpg

Who the fuck cares if it turns out good or even great for that matter? Great shooters aren't a scarce commodity, decent stealth games are.

Darkarium

Neo Member
No David Bateson and no Jesper Kyd has killed it for me. I could put up with the casualised gameplay but they've just killed a large factor of what made the games great in the first place. I didn't laugh at the conviction photoshop because it's sadly true. Disgusted at IO interactive right now, they literally just stuck a massive middle finger up to not only their fanbase that supported them from the beginning but to the people that made the game so succesful e.g David Bateson.

brunoa76

There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.

NOOOO, Hitman without the map screen isn't Hitman !!!

I miss the old IO :/

Salazar

Nirolak said:
I think they mean this.

Ah.

The being able to see patrol trails thing is a bit silly. Of course, it's an option - and I'm usually fairly liberal in my attitude to those kinds of things - but there does come a point at which the temperament the game is supposed to cultivate (patient, observant) is corrupted beyond recognisability.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Mr_Brit said:
I don't see how any Hitman fan has even a sliver of hope after that reveal.
There's still the stuff we haven't seen yet. The more open levels, the hardcore mode, stuff like that. I'm not saying I'm totally on board yet, but before going all FOR/AGAINST, I'm gonna wait a little more. Maybe the first and the sixth levels are quicktime-eventy shit with slomo and vignetting, I'm like whatever as long as the rest is good.

I mean, there's really never been a Hitman game that was brilliant throughout. Look at Blood Money — the cutscenes are pretty much dick. The boat level sucks. The tutorial level is awful. Still, I play it to this day. I might have played "A New Life" more than 50 times at this point. Hitman is Hitman when it's best, and you take the bad stuff and shrug it off to get to those brilliant moments the games are known for. It's how it's always been with this series.

As long as that's still possible, I'm not gonna write it off.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
raphier said:
You know, I've heard "dumb" argument before, it's getting funny as of late, almost meme worthy.

"CCP is not that dumb to not make a PC version of Dust 514" Dooooh...
"Microsoft ain't dumb, kinect is just a passing road" Dooooh....
"They're not dumb(sony), they won't sell a system at loss this time..." Dooooh...

Dooh train continues...
That's a bit strange.

The CCP thing is pretty bad, but the other points make sense.

Microsoft has invested heavily in Kinect. I dislike it, but it wouldn't make any financial sense to simply drop support especially in light of the sales they've achieved.

Sony selling Vita for a low price is a SMART move, not a "dooooh". They simply have no choice but to sell at a loss if they want to gain traction. The fact is, releasing that system at a higher price would most certainly have killed it early. I'm sure they didn't want to do that, but that's how competition works.

As for Hitman, the video does appear somewhat different, but a lot of the mechanical changes all seem to be for the better. I love the older games, but they are clunky as hell and look pretty terrible in motion. All of these mechanics shown here can definitely serve to enhance the experience. Their success in this case is not a foregone conclusion, of course, but I don't think it's fair to pass judgement so quickly.

Pachimari

To me it looks fantastic, and it's the first time I'm excited for a Hitman game. =)

Though, I do understand all the complaints which I share some of no doubt.

EDIT:
I haven't read the EDGE summary yet.

spidye

Keyser Soze said:
It's not..

From recent Edge article

• There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.
  • With the instinct mode you monitor enemies trough walls, burning-red trails highlight the patrol route enemies are about to take, and the mode also highlight points of intrest (like climable ledges and vents). It can also be used to maximise your disguise.
  • The instinct mode can only be used for a short time, it is powered by a bar that refills when you do silent, stealty takedowns.
  • Enemy patrol paths will now take organic and shorter paths, this is done so the player can anticipate when the AI is going to do something and not getting randomly caught.
  • The mini-map in the corner of the screen is going to stay, the will give the usual info like past games.
  • A new take on the threat meter: a grey circle appears in the centre of the screen, edges of which occasionally show where the player has been spotted.
  • You can make weapons that are built into the invironments and are unique to each setting.
  • More focus on smaller sandboxes, because they want to control the pacing better and bring more variety to the gameplay.
  • Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.

wow.there are no words that describe this travesty. such a shame.
no jesper kyd??? fuck you square/IO

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
spidye said:
wow.there are no words that describe this travesty. such a shame.
no jesper kyd??? fuck you square/IO
Oh wow, no Jesper Kyd? Really? That's a goddamn shame right there. Was one of the things that really help distinguish the series.

No Jesper Kyd, checkpoints, and possibly no David Bateson? I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it's getting really difficult at this stage. I don't mind improved shooting mechanics, a cover button and the instinct feature for easier difficulties, but there's a lot of bad news coming out of this.

UrbanRats

Keyser Soze said:
It's not..

From recent Edge article

The videos aren't bad, imo.
This list is horrendous though. :(

Interfectum

Nirolak said:
Well, I imagine appealing to new audiences is one of their major concerns, so this would be a success!

And all it took to appeal to the new audience was to strip away any intelligent thought, add flashy fun graphics and pretty much strip away everything that made a good Hitman game to begin with. Not too shabby I'd say!

daffy

Banned
Tomb Raider doesn't really look like a tomb raider game either, I think they even said it would be a totally different take or something like that. You guys should maybe give it a chance and wait it out, maybe we'll get more gameplay sometime soon. Actually chances are it'll go into hiding like Tomb Raider. But still give it a chance.

Keyser Soze said:

The instinct stuff sounds optional at least, but this...

njr

This has the potential to sell to a new audience, but what's the point if you you're just replacing your old fanbase? It's probably going to end up back to square one because they would the same amount as blood money to a different group of people when they could have had both.

UrbanRats

njr said:
This has the potential to sell to a new audience, but what's the point if you you're just replacing your old fanbase? It's probably going to end up back to square one because they would the same amount as blood money to a different group of people when they could have had both.
As always, they hope to strike the middlegorund.
Plus, the Hitman hardcore fans wil buy this anyway, just to see how it is, and maybe to bash it a bit.

Personally, as i said in the other topic, i think the old Hitman games weren't perfect, the controls were clunky and needed refinement, plus the AI and some other mechanics weren't that great.
But this is taking it too far, judging by those bullet points.
Checkpoints, linearity, and instict stuff sound like absolute crap.

Long-time series composer Jesper Kyd will not be returning. The duo Peter Peter and Peter Kyed will be doing it.
Longtime 47's voice actor David Bateson will not be returning.

Um... what the hell? Open the game with 47 on the run, cover mechanics, lots of shooting, whatever. The traditional mechanics come back later. Can KYD and BATESON? I mean, I can deal with Bateson, but KYD? One of the best composers in the industry? How does that make your game more accessible, io? What the hell...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interfectum said:
And all it took to appeal to the new audience was to strip away any intelligent thought, add flashy fun graphics and pretty much strip away everything that made a good Hitman game to begin with. Not too shabby I'd say!
So, what franchise are we thinking next?

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from IO's twitter:
http://twitter.com/#!/iointeractive

@IOInteractive @Hitman cant believe u guys sold out to a broader audience. good job, you've turned into EA except unsuccessful.

@ECpackers Relax, mate. You'll have your hardcore stealth gameplay. We're not taking that away.

@IOInteractive ......ill avoid passing judgment until i see more i guess. but other than great graphics, i'm nervous

@ECpackers Fair enough. But please believe that we are focused on delivering everything fans expect and more. You will love it.

@IOInteractive so the new #hitman doesn't have contracts, or specific targets? does this mean no more silent assassin rankings on levels?

@candid_clark Silent Assassin is still there. It's the game you know and love and then some.

@IOInteractive is it still a sandbox like the earlier game or will it be a more linear experience such as splinter cell or call of duty?

@wildestcatever We still have plenty of sandbox gameplay for you to get your hands dirty with.

@IOInteractive Really because it sounds like it's now an action game with tons of scripted events and "Cinematic Takedowns" confirm/deny plz

@bhlaab It's the same old game with a bunch of new stuff in it. You've only heard about parts of the game, there's lots more to share.

theRizzle

I loved the first Hitman when it came out... played it to death. I think I completely skipped 2 and played Contracts a little. I hadn't even played Blood Money until I picked it up last year on 360, and I actually really liked it. My problem is I refuse to accept any mission outcome other than Silent Assassin, so I got stuck on the Mardi Gras level and never passed it. I sort of always wished the games were a little less obtuse and more accessible.

That said, this entire list of changes bums me out. I think a large part of the charm of these games is how rough they can be. I am willing to give it a chance, but it's hard to be positive about some of that stuff.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
You can't tell me what to love, IOInteractive. If that's even your real name.

daffy

Banned
@IOInteractive @Hitman cant believe u guys sold out to a broader audience. good job, you've turned into EA except unsuccessful.

*sigh* Is this really how it goes down on twitter? I hope this guy saw more than the 2 minutes we just watched. Sold out? Come on ECpackers, just come on

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
FTH said:
*sigh* Is this really how it goes down on twitter? I hope this guy saw more than the 2 minutes we just watched. Sold out? Come on ECpackers, just come on

This guy saw nothing. He's just an angry fanboy who overreacts like 99% of GAF.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I'll wait to see more, I just hope they didn't casualize it too much. Those Tweets make me feel a bit better.

There were things in Blood Money that needed fixed, but not dumbed down.

Also, fantastic box art. Overreaction? Sure. Hilarious nonetheless.

Helzown

Interfectum said:
I know everyone has been highly anticipating my reaction to the Hitman gameplay video.

Do you, now?

Gameplay looks good, but I'm expecting this to become more of an action game unfortunately.

ArjanN

Man, I hate how all these recent Hitman threads are full of people jumping to conclusions bases on way too little evidence.

There is instinct mode, which works similair to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum. It will replace the map screens from previous Hitman games.

So they outright lied when they said Instinct mode could be turned off and not used on the harder settings? Or is this confirmation that the levels won't be as sandbox-y as those in previous games?

Forkball

It's just the first level, it's more action-packed to show that Agent 47 is being hunted. Also it seems that why they are keeping the core silent assassin style gameplay, they also want to expand it to where you can run and gun if you want too. I can understand their desire to allow for multiple play styles, but it does make the punishment for failing at stealth a bit more lenient if you can gun your way past your mistakes.

Top Bottom