• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 months out, any excitement for Piranha Bytes' Elex?

Banzai

EDIT: Release is the 17th of October

I am absolutely jonesing for a good 3rd-person action-rpg. Dark Souls, Witcher 3 and Dragon's Dogma can't keep me satisfied forever. Elex is looking to scratch that itch.

I know that from Gothic to Risen their games always had that jank to them and Elex is looking to be similar in a way. But honestly, I will never not give the people who made Gothic 2 another chance. Best RPG of all time.

How about it, Gaf?

Ragona

Gothic 2 is still one of my favorite rpgs ever so I really am looking forward to Elex, though its prolly gonne be a low 70 game again I will enjoy the fuck out of it :p

I am absolutely jonesing for a good 3rd-person action-rpg. Dark Souls, Witcher 3 and Dragon's Dogma can't keep me satisfied forever. Elex is looking to scratch that itch.

I know that from Gothic to Risen their games always had that jank to them and Elex is looking to be similar in a way. But honestly, I will never not give the people who made Gothic 2 another chance. Best RPG of all time.

How about it, Gaf?

Controls look like a Wonky Version of Mass Effect Andromeda, but I'm intrigued. Gothic games, for what they were, were always interesting. They just were missing that level of polish, especially in combat to take it to that next step.

Gameplay Video I found, not sure if they've uploaded anything more recent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzUMUUzXpaM

Haunted

why so janky tho

You'd think after so many years and so many games they would've gotten the basics down and could've polished things up a little more.

why so janky tho

You'd think after so many years and so many games they would've gotten the basics down and could've polished things up a little more.

Don't hold me to it, but they don't want to change. People working there have been frustrated with that fact - that's what I have heard.

Banzai

Don't hold me to it, but they don't want to change. People working there have been frustrated with that fact - that's what I have heard.

Heard where? I mean judging from their games it's not hard to believe, I guess.
I've enjoyed their output, but they are always short a couple of changes that keeps them from being great.

Nere

So it is out in 2 months, from the title I thought it has been out for 2 months by now.... Anyway I completely forgot it's existence tbh. I am not that interested in sci-fi rpgs but I will give it a look since I have played all their games.

Dadasch

Right now I'm playing Risen 3 and it's even more outdated than I thought it would be but it has its charme. Piranha Bytes doesn't want to change so I have to accept the jankiness of their games.
Well somehow it always reminds me of Gothic and that's a good thing. Not for the right reasons but who cares.

Their games always have something that keeps me coming back, despite bad combat and a lot of crappy stuff in general. But damn if their worlds aren't interesting to explore. I wish they would improve on their mistakes and then I feel we could get something really special.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Cautious excitement, yes.
I still hold PB in high regards even though the last good game they made was Gothic 2

Dadasch

I'm following it but not that closely. They haven't made a good game since Risen 1.
Risen 1 wasn't good either imo. I remember it being quite linear which really sucked tbh.
And their whole choose-one-out-of-three-guilds mechanic has to stop.

Audioboxer

I love some Eurojank. Not too interested in them doing sci-fi. Should just have stuck to making a new Gothic or Risen and trying to do a bit better.

Even if this reviews garbage I'll probably still end up playing it.

Spence

I'm cautiously curious, it does have several interesting things going for it the question is how it all comes together.

GenericUser

Their games have been underwhelming since gothic 2 imo. Their newest game looks like it shares the same problems as their previous games, so no, not excited at all.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I'll definitely be getting it but probably not at release. I really enjoy Piranha Bytes games and the jank doesn't bother me at all but it does make me chuckle that they never seem to ever be able to get rid of that jank. No idea why. Definitely on my radar though, as per usual I don't expect it to review well or have any fans outside of the usual eurojank fans.

Banzai

With Souls games and The Witcher 3 on the market, janky games cannot be allowed/forgiven.

Development philosophies aside, there is massive difference in size between Piranha Bytes and CDPR. Like a 20 to 500 difference.
You can't give up on games because they don't have orchestral sountracks or motion captured animations, that's how you end up not having any small studios in the business at all.

Unless it's an utter train wreck, yeah i'll be getting it. I've really enjoyed their previous games so i'm ready for whatever this one throws at me :)

EuroJank forever!

ISee

I stopped buying PB games after the mess that was gothic 3. G1 and G2 had problems but G3 was an insult, I steel feel burned. Elex needs to be very good to win me back and the combat isn't allowed suck (again).

StereoVsn

Development philosophies aside, there is massive difference in size between Piranha Bytes and CDPR. Like a 20 to 500 difference.
You can't give up on games because they don't have orchestral sountracks or motion captured animations, that's how you end up not having any small studios in the business at all.
That's correct to an extent but a)game will still be $60, b)Vast majority of these games kind of suck (Gothic 2 was great, Risen 1 was ok, everything else was pretty bad). It's very rare to have an actual good TPS/FPS RPG/ARPG that's actually any good, at least last last 5-6 years.

fushi

Disagreeing with the people who say they haven't made a good game since Gothic II -- the first Risen was quite alright. And gets special bonus points for Lena Headey doing VA work there.

But yeah, I could not get into Risen 2 at all, the camera controls alone were way too wonky. Haven't tried Risen 3 but the word of mouth on that one isn't all that favorable either.

Thus, cautiously optimistic, like most of you.

Yeah, but in a world with polished, well-made games, and limited time, wasting your money on bottom-tier janky games makes no sense at all.

There are more games worth your time than you'll ever be able to play. Might as well start from the top and work your way down.

Gothos

They've lost me with that shitty pirate theme in Risen 2/3 but this time it's sci-fi so I'm back. Not sure if Day-1, though. I feel this game will have serious technical problems. Also, the ugliest on screen UI I've even seen :)

eloxx

Yes, this is very much on my radar for this year. Not much else I will get besides Destiny 2 and Battlefront 2. I have always liked their games. Just the fact that there is no limit on storage space for the inventory is extremely appealing to me.

Banzai

That's correct to an extent but a)game will still be $60, b)Vast majority of these games kind of suck (Gothic 2 was great, Risen 1 was ok, everything else was pretty bad). It's very rare to have an actual good TPS/FPS RPG/ARPG that's actually any good, at least last last 5-6 years.

What you're saying is true, but what's your point? Should the price of the game be based on some arbitrarily chosen checklist of quality criteria?
As it stands, they charge what they have to to recoup their investments during development and for a small team with a high development time for bigger projects, that price will understandably be higher than some 5-hour inidie game's.

And believe me, I know how few rpgs of this kind are out there. I'm constantly on the lookout, but a large majority of rpg games is the top-down tactical stuff, which I'm just not that into.

Yeah, but in a world with polished, well-made games, and limited time, wasting your money on bottom-tier janky games makes no sense at all.

There are more games worth your time than you'll ever be able to play. Might as well start from the top and work your way down.

Point me in the direction of all the high-quality games in this genre, then. Witcher 3 is pretty much it if you don't go back further than 5 years. Even then, dragon's dogma, maaaaybe dark souls (but that's not exactly the same),...?

Aside from the UI the game looks beautiful from what I've seen. I loved Gothic 2 and Risen, Risen 2 was pretty bad and Risen 3 was ok. Hopefully a return to form with ELEX.

MadSexual

Haha, this thread going exactly as expected.

Elex is literally the only game I've been "hyped" for in years. I am well aware of all PB's flaws as creators, but they've been making the same game since Gothic 1, and no other developer has ever provided the same style of exploration, so I will always be hungry for more of what they do.

JPS Kai

It felt like Gothic with a jetpack when I saw it played at E3. Since I'm kinda fond of Pirahnabytes already, I'll be looking into this in a couple months.

What you're saying is true, but what's your point? Should the price of the game be based on some arbitrarily chosen checklist of quality criteria?
As it stands, they charge what they have to to recoup their investments during development and for a small team with a high development time for bigger projects, that price will understandably be higher than some 5-hour inidie game's.

And believe me, I know how few rpgs of this kind are out there. I'm constantly on the lookout, but a large majority of rpg games is the top-down tactical stuff, which I'm just not that into.

Point me in the direction of all the high-quality games in this genre, then. Witcher 3 is pretty much it if you don't go back further than 5 years. Even then, dragon's dogma, maaaaybe dark souls (but that's not exactly the same),...?

If you're only interested in one genre, then I guess playing the mediocre entries makes sense.

I try to play pretty much everything, so I don't have time for the also-rans of the world, and that's exactly what every game this dev makes feels like to me.

StereoVsn

My point is that I refuse to pay $60 for a janky game that is very likely to be either meh or even fairly bad.

It's hard to create such a game and for it to be good as witnessed by many failed attempts from even AAA studios (DAI, MEA, etc...) and PB has not shown anyone confidence that they can actually create a good game anymore.

Banzai

If you're only interested in one genre, then I guess playing the mediocre entries makes sense.

I try to play pretty much everything, so I don't have time for the also-rans of the world, and that's exactly what every game this dev makes feels like to me.

I play lots of games. Just this year I've bought a platformer, a rts game and vr games. Doesn't change the fact that I want to play more third person rpgs with fantasy monsters and towns and stuff. Since the AAA industry doesn't seem to be interested in making those kinds of games, I feel compelled to support smaller studios. Sure, there's some risk that it'll suck, but that's what reviews and youtube are for.
I guess I could go play some AAA shooter instead, though, thanks for the advice.

I love euro jank. Technomancer is a diamond in the rough more should play.

This games biggest fault is that God awful UI. The bright red life bar looks like something youd see in a 2 dollar throwaway steam game but everything else looks fine.

Does the title have a character creation? Or are they still insisting to force me to play as generic dude they create?

Top Bottom