• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 months out, any excitement for Piranha Bytes' Elex?

Ricker

Watched a few video's here and there and it looks like fun...one guy saw a new kind of ennemy that looked hard,saved the game and went for it...of course it was too strong so he ran back to a firecamp where some random people where,they attacked it of course but didnt kill it,pop up came on saying that someone who died will change the story etc,then he kept running to a small town which was blocked by a guy,he tried to kill that guy to go in town but eventually got killed(the named entrance Guard was probably unbeatable,especially at his level)...looks like PB jank but also addicting when all kind of stuff like that happens...Two Worlds type of stuff also,which was even jankier but man,I had some fun with that mess also lol...

Lucifon

On XB1 the framerate is 30. I'm not sure what the resolution is, guessing 1080. But it will be getting an 4k patch for X.
For combat, you can just mash away but you do have a stamina bar. You will get tired and wait a couple seconds for it to recharge.
Definitely has the "eurojank" but I love it lol.
Thanks for the info - how's the screen tearing on xb1? Videos on the store looked pretty bad.

Karak

Technomancer, here here! :)
Me as well. Really dug that despite the issues.

Looks like the many tiered press release game is in full effect and its sad that that some got their copies so late. The 10 or so people I know reviewing it, got it almost 2 weeks prior to release like I did.

Sendero

Perhaps the most important insight that I expect from the early reviews is, if they found (or not) any show-stopper bug.

I did not spot anything major in the videos. But there are 3 points worth noting:

1) You need to sheath your weapon in order to pick up stuff --the prompts disappear.
(and you should do the same while being inside towns)
2) "Magnesium torchs" are used to light up dark areas. Seriously, read the description of items and missions.
3) Critical characters can be killed (even by accident). The game warns you about it.

And of course, look hard for hidden caves and areas. It seems to be packed with those.

Me as well. Really dug that despite the issues.

Looks like the many tiered press release game is in full effect and its sad that that some got their copies so late. The 10 or so people I know reviewing it, got it almost 2 weeks prior to release like I did.

It's a fun game for sure with some really cool stuff reminding me of good old BioWare, but I have to admit it's slightly starting to burn me out too with the backtracking to these same locations and the game world isn't incredibly varied. Maybe it'll pick up soon again.

When tomorrow do you think we can check out your ELEX review? :)

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Watched a couple of streamers play it, some were hardcore PB players and two specifically mentioned that the game feels more like G1&2 and Risen 1 as opposed to Risen 2&3 which is great news.

Karak

It's a fun game for sure with some really cool stuff reminding me of good old BioWare, but I have to admit it's slightly starting to burn me out too with the backtracking to these same locations and the game world isn't incredibly varied. Maybe it'll pick up soon again.

When tomorrow do you think we can check out your ELEX review? :)

For those I know who have it Monday, October 16 at Noon ET/9am PT.
I assume thats for everyone but some folks here said they just got code. I think there was also another streaming embargo earlier. As I said in my BTS video for reviews. More and more tiers are being added to launches for coverage.

OmegaDL50

I'm on board with this game.

Anything that resembles Morrowind is all thumbs up by me.

As for my tolerance for Eurojank. I have played and finished the first Two Worlds game on both the 360 and PC, so I doubt anything Elex throws at me could possibly be worse.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment

As for my tolerance for Eurojank. I have played and finished the first Two Worlds game on both the 360 and PC, so I doubt anything Elex throws at me could possibly be worse.

Lol PB games are much better than Two Worlds...

Humdinger

Look its made by a team of around 30 guys, its a huge open world RPG at a decent price,

It will provide 100+ hours of RPG exploration fun

I respect your opinion, but if we only accept AAA open world games from Bethesda, Bioware, and CDprojectRed then we get 1 game every 3 years.

Its not going to be perfect, but leave the nitpicking to one side, again how many large open world Western RPGs get released?

I'm in. You make a good case.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've watched a bit of this on twitch, from what I've seen this looks like a solid game. Looks much more Gothic 1/2/Risen 1 then Gothic 3/Risen 2/3.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Jesus... I have no idea how you made it through the Two Worlds games, especially on console.

BeeDog

I've watched a bit of this on twitch, from what I've seen this looks like a solid game. Looks much more Gothic 1/2/Risen 1 then Gothic 3/Risen 2/3.

On a jankiness scale, where does it fall between Gothic 3 at release and Risen 1 at release?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
On a jankiness scale, where does it fall between Gothic 3 at release and Risen 1 at release?

Haven't seen much in the way of gameplay impacting bugs, just some goofy stuff like odd camera angles during dialog, some really awful voice acting and stuff like that.

Banzai

Looks like a couple of people got interested now. That's cool, I'm glad I made the thread then. Bad title choice aside.
The reviews sound great, too. Comparing it to Morrowind might be a bit out there, but we'll see. We do know PB can do great worlds.

I got a review code for a site for xbox one and found a ps4 copy at a mom and pop early. Man this game kicks my ass even om easy. Lol

Also xbox one version finally got an update on 14th that has helped on performance.

For those I know who have it Monday, October 16 at Noon ET/9am PT.
I assume thats for everyone but some folks here said they just got code. I think there was also another streaming embargo earlier. As I said in my BTS video for reviews. More and more tiers are being added to launches for coverage.

Thanks man. That should mean around the time of dinner for us the reviews will be there, great.

Haven't seen much in the way of gameplay impacting bugs, just some goofy stuff like odd camera angles during dialog, some really awful voice acting and stuff like that.

And I guarantee you some sites or YouTubers will find ways somehow to show bad glitches and game breaking stuff. It wouldn't surprise me. But then again I've been blessed almost by hardly having any real issues with Skyrim on 360, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Eldon

I really enjoyed Risen 1, hopefully I can get into this

By watching the interactions with other NPCs and the fighting, it kinda looks that way. I'm really hopeful that it turns out like an improved Risen 1 (I know for sure that Gothic 2 can't be matched).

While I'm more or less a fan myself, German press has always been a bit too forgiving with PB (while american/english one typically way too harsh).

Apart from that, I wouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who thinks Morrowind was a peak so far, anyway.
Morrowind is yet to be topped as far as open world games go.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Lol indeed. I could still stomach Gothic and Risen games, but I couldn't cope with Two Worlds 2.

I will defend Two Worlds 2, all day everyday! therearedozensofus.gif :p

The Two Worlds 2 DLC was Pirates Of The Flying Fortress was genuinely excellent as well.

Anyway I love Risen 1 and 3 so I'll definitely give this a go. I was going to wait for a bit but I might pick it up straight away as it's sounding very appealing right now. One of these days I'll get round to playing Gothic 2 as well.....

What I'm wondering is have they improved the behavior of NPCs? I remember playing Gothic and being so impressed with NPCs going about their life. You had people sitting at the campfire, working during the day or playing instruments. And this behavior was similar for the animals at night and during the day. Really cool stuff.

At the same time I was playing Oblivion I believe back then and this NPC stuff wasn't nearly as well done. Wonder how they react and what they do in ELEX. But in some ways Gothic was ahead of its time.

I really hope this is good. Their last games had their issues, but my Piranha Bytes itch is growing stronger

But I hope they have improved on the story front. After the soft reboot of Risen 2 the lore was a complete mess. Seemed like they just made up some story fragments when they absolutely needed them

No continuity at all. Nothing about the Titans made any sense.

Saw some pc footage and man I hope they can make it look like that on One X. Quite the difference from Xbox One footage. Which is of course to be expected.

And for the folks calling it garbage and what not, there aren't a whole lot of RPGs coming out in the near future. BGS made it well clear that a new Elder Scrolls is waaaaaay off, Cyberpunk isn't coming anytime soon, while Assassin's Creed Origins may have RPG elements it isn't one, so hey, I'll gladly take those aged mechanics and still have fun with the game. I'm positive the game is very enjoyable and has a game world worth exploring.

Humdinger

From the reviews, it sounds like it has some serious performance problems.

It also sounds like you have to stick with it for 4-6 hrs (?) before it gets good.

Jamaro85

Never heard of this but it looks pretty cool. I'd like to see how it looks/runs on PS4 to determine if it's worth getting there over PC.

Humdinger

Well, it's out now. Averaging 59 on Metacritic. Impressions are starting to come in.

+ World/Exploration
+ Questing
+ Verticality

- Poor AI
- Frame rate problems
- Glitches
- Long time to unlock skills
- Takes a while to get good

Durante

It's actually averaging 74 on Metacritic right now.

(Of course, that's on the platform where people don't necessarily see a more complex skill progression system as a drawback :p)

It's actually averaging 74 on Metacritic right now.

(Of course, that's on the platform where people don't necessarily see a more complex skill progression system as a drawback :p)
Yeah. There's no point in looking on reviews from console players with such games

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I’m not particularly interested in Elex (I think the setting is intriguing, but I really wished I could create a character), but I just had to note that I will never understand this unspoken, yet heavily implied notion that all games ever released need to have the polish of a AAA title from some gamers.

Sometimes a developer is hamstrung for a lot of reasons, and some games will have some jank to them. Not every studio has the luxury to do multiple polish runs before the game hits store shelves, not the budget to delay a game for said polishing. It’s understandable if a player wants to hold off on dropping $60 for a title made by a “smaller” dev, or a dev that isn’t a Naught Dog or Blizzard, but sometimes the attitude of, “this game isn’t 100% perfect, so it’s garbage,” needs to stop.

I think Elex will probably be fun for fans of the devs who enjoyed Risen and Gothic. I played both, and I couldn’t get into them, but that’s more on me than anyone else. Some of my favorites games are rough around the edges (ie, Second Sight, Shadow of Destiny, Deadly Premonition, to name only 3), but don’t let that discourage you from looking into a game that was interesting enough to catch your eye. Sales and discounts are almost always around the corner. I didn’t pay $60 for Murdered: Soul Suspect, for example, but I nabbed it during one of the PSN sales, and really liked it, despite it not being a AAA game.

I’ll pribably do the same for Elex, since I am genuinely intrigued by it, but can’t afford to drop $60 on it at the moment (I already exceeded my gaming budget for the month, so quite a few titles are going to be waiting for sales, actually).

I’m enjoying reading impressions of this game on this thread.

Humdinger

I played 2 hours of it. I liked it.

I like wandering around the world. Visuals are pretty good. I feel immersed. I like the jet pack; it adds verticality, which helps. Combat is lame.

Anyhow, I'm enjoying it so far. Good for any PB fan, I think.

Top Bottom