• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 months out, any excitement for Piranha Bytes' Elex?

MrCinos

They gave Risen 3 70% and Risen 1 75%? So why wouldn‘t they?

Seems fare. I didn't really doubt that I'd enjoy ELEX, but if it's better than Risen games then I should have a blast.

P.S. I'd trust German reviews more than others'.

German Gamepro gave it 83% ( PS4 Version), they gave Risen 3 70% if anyone is interested.

Interesting part is, that they call the world the best RPG-world since Morrowind.

Interesting. I enjoyed Risen 3 even though I didn't finish it.

If this is indeed a much better than that, I'd be down.

Doesn't seem to me that the score is all that high, actually pretty on point probably if the game world is indeed that great to explore, which it sure looks like in footage to me and quests are apparently very fun with multiple choices. Always a plus. Plus it seems it doesn't look and perform horrible on Xbox One, wile Risen 1 was horrible on 360 and Risen 2 i guess slightly better. Never played 3 on 360.

But then you got janky animations and combat that has barely changed over the previous PB games and pretty damn bad facial animations and that's enough to not bring it towards 90 or higher. But i can definitely see plenty of reviews next week scoring it 70 or lower because they just can't accept that the mechanics have barely changed and i can absolutely understand that too. But for me personally...i can cope with the jank when i get a great game world to explore, combat that for me doesn't look like the worst, interesting quests with several things to choose and it actually looking decent on console too.

PS4 Pro footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2FoVTn_1U

pLow7

Doesn't seem to me that the score is all that high, actually pretty on point probably if the game world is indeed that great to explore, which it sure looks like in footage to me and quests are apparently very fun with multiple choices. Always a plus. Plus it seems it doesn't look and perform horrible on Xbox One, wile Risen 1 was horrible on 360 and Risen 2 i guess slightly better. Never played 3 on 360.

But then you got janky animations and combat that has barely changed over the previous PB games and pretty damn bad facial animations and that's enough to not bring it towards 90 or higher.

To Quote the review, they say if you get past the First 3-4 hours and get used to the animation/combat you‘ll experience one of the best RPGs of the last years simply because the rest is THAT good.

Vuze

To Quote the review, they say if you get past the First 3-4 hours and get used to the animation/combat you‘ll experience one of the best RPGs of the last years simply because the rest is THAT good.
idk, the general jank is pretty annoying to me. I've only played about 3h so far and had to reload a previous save three times because I got stuck in the world geometry (rocks/behind/inbetween houses). Maybe I'm just abusing the jetpack functionality too much lol
The world and setting is indeed very intriguing.

Ricker

Looking forward to it Moff.

Here's one of the let's plays - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2FoVTn_1U

Looking good. I ain't seeing that tearing that the early non patched version on Xbox One had. Seems like the framerate is unlocked on the Pro.

The guy even looks like in Risen...lol,this is basically Risen 4 with a mix of futuristic and old stuff...just watchng the guy play makes me want to grab this but it will have to wait...and dude(guy playing) if you dont do what the tutorial says,it will show up for a long time lol...

gossi

I just ran some PS4 Pro footage through duplicate frame counting, it runs between 20-60fps - they have no lock on it. They should really lock it to 30.

jryeje29

I’ll personally look out for reviews but I don’t have enough interest for a day one purchase. Unless it turns out to be extremely bad or be like unplayable then it’s safe bet I’ll get it eventually. I enjoyed technomancer and bound by flame which both weren’t anywhere close to the best rpgs so I’d probably like this too.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
For those interested, ACG (Karak) said that he will have his Elex review up on Monday.

Humdinger

For those interested, ACG (Karak) said that he will have his Elex review up on Monday.

Excellent. I'll wait for that.

The German Gamepro comment about "best RPG world since Morrowind" is too good to be true. That is, I don't believe it -- I don't trust that particular review site, and it's too hyperbolic to be accurate. Yet, it piques my interest, because Morrowind is my favorite RPG.

I'm interested to hear what Karak says.

That sounds really good to me. Usually i get used to the combat pretty early on, so that should be no problem.

idk, the general jank is pretty annoying to me. I've only played about 3h so far and had to reload a previous save three times because I got stuck in the world geometry (rocks/behind/inbetween houses). Maybe I'm just abusing the jetpack functionality too much lol
The world and setting is indeed very intriguing.

How are the loading times on console? Also i noticed that the sensitivity of aiming is way too fast and it can't be changed? That would really suck. But remains me of Risen on 360, lol.

I just ran some PS4 Pro footage through duplicate frame counting, it runs between 20-60fps - they have no lock on it. They should really lock it to 30.

Sounds like there is still quite a bit of work left for the developer. Unlocked framerate is rarely a good idea. Probably gonna be a while before they get to X support. We don't even know yet if it has Pro support right now, do we?

Hell yes. I'm waiting for that for sure.

Vuze

How are the loading times on console? Also i noticed that the sensitivity of aiming is way too fast and it can't be changed? That would really suck. But remains me of Risen on 360, lol.
Oh I wouldn't know, sorry. Playing on PC. They are completely negligible, I just booted it up and it took 8 seconds to load the last save. Reloading an earlier save when you've been playing already is a little shorter even.
And yeah, the cam is waaaaay to fast by default - and that's 0.5 lmao. First thing I turned down. Feels good at 0.2. It can be adjusted for controller on PC (I'm using one).

Aomber

No. I heard CohhCarnage talking about it coming out so I decided to check out some videos, and it just doesn't look smooth or fun to play at all, like a poorly produced Elder Scrolls game or something.

Sentenza

The German Gamepro comment about "best RPG world since Morrowind" is too good to be true. That is, I don't believe it -- I don't trust that particular review site, and it's too hyperbolic to be accurate. Yet, it piques my interest, because Morrowind is my favorite RPG.

I'm interested to hear what Karak says.
While I'm more or less a fan myself, German press has always been a bit too forgiving with PB (while american/english one typically way too harsh).

Apart from that, I wouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who thinks Morrowind was a peak so far, anyway.

PrimeBeef

While I'm more or less a fan myself, German press has always been a bit too forgiving with PB (while american/english one typically way too harsh).

Apart from that, I wouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who thinks Morrowind was a peak so far, anyway.
I'd be more concerned with people that think Oblivion ans Skyrim were better RPGs than MW.

I fully expect this to be in line with their games. It will be fun but full of PB jank.

Humdinger

I wouldn't trust the opinion of anyone who thinks Morrowind was a peak so far

You should probably mistrust mine, then. I'm a console-only guy, but I can't think of an RPG released on console, since Morrowind, that had a more interesting world to explore.

Karak's review should be a good enough way to see if the game is worth it on day one. I always appreciate his reviews.

Yes. Me, too. He seems fair and thorough.

gossi

Looking forward to it Moff.

Here's one of the let's plays - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH2FoVTn_1U

Looking good. I ain't seeing that tearing that the early non patched version on Xbox One had. Seems like the framerate is unlocked on the Pro.

Re no tearing on this video, it’s on PS4 Pro and runs at an uncapped frame rate. 9 minutes in they point out the frame rate is terrible, 20 to 60 which is what I see. Around 2 hours in they have a section that runs ~20fps for some time, around some buildings. They actually stop to point out how bad it is.

Not a deal breaker but, uhm, I wouldn’t celebrate lack of tearing. Also, the Xbox One version doesn’t yet have a patch and it launches Tuesday.

Also spent about 3 hours with it so far on ps4 pro. A review in progress will go live on Monday.

Allegedly a 50 hour game according to guide, and they only gave us reviewers the code on Thursday evening.

That doesn't sound great for Pro yet. Let's hope this isn't the support they had planned because that framerate sounds just bad. Keep it 30fps locked if it can't be 60fps, which I think we all isn't going to happen with either console version.

Surfside

Banned
You should probably mistrust mine, then. I'm a console-only guy, but I can't think of an RPG released on console, since Morrowind, that had a more interesting world to explore.

I'm also an avid pc gamer with the opinion that there hasn't been one released on it either. Even Gothic's wonderfully handcrafted world has to bow to Morrowind's.

Buckle

Morrowind's world and art design was interesting as hell but I always preferred the gameplay of Oblivion and Skyrim (even if the locations were more generic fantasy), especially the latter.

Also the dialog system in Skyrim. Felt more like you were having actual conversations than just throwing random topics at everybody and hoping they say something new.

Sentenza

You should probably mistrust mine, then.
Eventually.

I'm a console-only guy, but I can't think of an RPG released on console, since Morrowind, that had a more interesting world to explore.
I would agree that the scenario was an outstanding part of the game, with an intriguing alien vibe for a fantasy title...
I just don't think it's enough to make it a good game.

TardisLover

Neo Member
Watched some playing, looks janky as hell with an inconsistent frame rate and terrible VA

Look its made by a team of around 30 guys, its a huge open world RPG at a decent price,

It will provide 100+ hours of RPG exploration fun

I respect your opinion, but if we only accept AAA open world games from Bethesda, Bioware, and CDprojectRed then we get 1 game every 3 years.

Its not going to be perfect, but leave the nitpicking to one side, again how many large open world Western RPG get released ?

Lets enjoy it (Jank and all), super hyped for Tuesday, loved Gothic and Risen (just as much as Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragonage, and the Elder Scrolls \o/ all great games)

Have fun everyone, as always just my 2 pennies worth

Buckle

Watched some playing, looks janky as hell with an inconsistent frame rate and terrible VA
If this turns out like the other PB games I've played, best way I can explain why people are still interested in it is basically Witcher 1 if you're familiar with that.

Game looked, played and sounded terrible but its a better experience than the sum of it's parts.

Its probably not going to be GOTY material but still a solid RPG.

Sendero

Is the OT thread planned til Monday?

I spent a few hours looking into some of the early Let's play videos, and have a couple of doubts, that would like to solve before trying the game myself.

1) Do we have the list of
companions
that we can acquire through the game? One player literally fell over one by accident (the one that
steals our equipment
during the intro). Also got the feeling that
a girl called "Nasty" -- apparently the sister from the Outlaw faction's leader-- might be another.
. And I guess both
Duras (the 1st guy you meet), and your robot
as well?

2) Is there a way to obtain magic attacks without joining a faction? It seems you can fight with melee and ranged weapons just fine (as long as you meet the attribute requirements).

gossi

companions
that we can acquire through the game? One player literally fell over one by accident

So it reminds me a lot of Morrowind to be honest, the whole world is open from the very beginning, it has factions, stealing etc, and quests and companions aren't marked - you just walk up to people and talk to them, it doesn't have markers above their heads.

To me it's the kind of game you should go in knowing nothing and explore.

Sendero

So it reminds me a lot of Morrowind to be honest, the whole world is open from the very beginning, it has factions, stealing etc, and quests and companions aren't marked - you just walk up to people and talk to them, it doesn't have markers above their heads.

To me it's the kind of game you should go in knowing nothing and explore.
I agree with the sentiment (Morrowind is in my top list, after all). So, I'm not interested on the details. Just roughly how many they are. Because contrary to back then, now I don't have nearly as much time to play, and I'm the kind of person that tend to wander around too much, soaking on the details and ambience, looking for hidden areas, etc.

The 2nd question is particularly important, because I likely won't be joining any faction until I have visited all of them (and dissidents). So would prefer not to waste too much points on melee, as magic will be my priority.

Stiler

Looking forward to this game, but South Park: TFBW and AC: Origins will probably keep me busy til I get this after those.

I hope this game is more like Gothic 2 and less like Risen 3.

Also sci-fi mixed with middle ages is really really hard to get right, hope they can pull it off.

120v

never played a PB game before but this looks pretty decent for mid tier. i can cut the more spotty aspects some slack since it's (presumably) a massive game

only thing i'm iffy on is the combat. waiting to see how reviews fare with that aspect

theDeeDubs

Would probably get this day 1 as I often love janky RPGs. I'm just coming off lttp on The Tehcnomancer, and I really enjoyed it. However, I'm playing through Dragon's Dogma again because of the remaster, and I'm afraid it will hinder my enjoyment of this Will probably wait for a price drop unless I hear the combat holds up decently. I'm just afraid coming from DD to this will seem jarring and ruin it more than coming off a non-action-rpg would. Following Dragon's Dogma would be like following Souls. It's just kind of unfair. Looking forward to more impressions though as I like what I'm hearing so far.

never played a PB game before but this looks pretty decent for mid tier. i can cut the more spotty aspects some slack since it's (presumably) a massive game

only thing i'm iffy on is the combat. waiting to see how reviews fare with that aspect

You can forget reviews exist as this game is concerned. Journos had a hard time getting Gothic 1 and 2 almost two decades ago, they stand no chance today. Honestly, reading rpgcodex after the game releases would probably be the best bet to learn in depth about the game. Also, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH1pe24yQqg&t=1m35s

and then this to learn how they (used to) make games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSc-WRl-0pM

Moff

Is the OT thread planned til Monday?

I spent a few hours looking into some of the early Let's play videos, and have a couple of doubts, that would like to solve before trying the game myself.

companions
that we can acquire through the game? One player literally fell over one by accident (the one that
steals our equipment
during the intro). Also got the feeling that
a girl called "Nasty" -- apparently the sister from the Outlaw faction's leader-- might be another.
. And I guess both
Duras (the 1st guy you meet), and your robot
as well?

2) Is there a way to obtain magic attacks without joining a faction? It seems you can fight with melee and ranged weapons just fine (as long as you meet the attribute requirements).
The OT goes up on monday, according to GAF law.
As far as I know you need to join a faction to learn magic. However there will be scrolls. I guess this will be solved similar to risen 3.

Dezzy

I'm looking forward to it. Ordered PC version for just $34(Thanks GMG!) so if it turns out to be another Risen 2 I can't feel too bad. I loved the Gothic series and Risen 1 and 3 so I'll give them the chance with this one.
Still working through Divinity OS2 though, which is fine because no doubt Elex will need a post-launch patch anyway.

Would probably get this day 1 as I often love janky RPGs. I'm just coming off lttp on The Tehcnomancer, and I really enjoyed it. However, I'm playing through Dragon's Dogma again because of the remaster, and I'm afraid it will hinder my enjoyment of this Will probably wait for a price drop unless I hear the combat holds up decently. I'm just afraid coming from DD to this will seem jarring and ruin it more than coming off a non-action-rpg would. Following Dragon's Dogma would be like following Souls. It's just kind of unfair. Looking forward to more impressions though as I like what I'm hearing so far.

Technomancer, here here! :)

Took a little to get going but it's quite interesting now and the combat is really fun. I'm actually quite look forward to Spider's next game next year.

I'll be playing a lot of RPGs for the rest of the year. Technomancer, I'll be going for a proper Witcher 3 playthrough when that One X patch arrives, AC Origins has RPG stuff now. I have Shiness as well and maybe, just maybe I won't be able to resist buying ELEX.

I loved it but the game was undeniably rough.

Shame PiranhaBytes haven't quite evolved over the years and had success like CD Projekt has. Small team but you can feel their potential still in there to make something amazing again.

Oh man that would have been great if PB just like CDPR evolved that drastically. From Witcher to Witcher 2 was already a huge huge improvement.

PB is damn good in several key things in a RPG, sadly not combat, animations and facial expressions. If they for example would have drastically improved on those aspects I definitely think we could be placing them next to CDPR. Because as that one video showed, several things in PB's game worlds are better executed than what CDPR did.

Champloo4

I'm playing on XB1. Only about 1 hour in, but enjoying it so far. There is some pop-in and the lip-sync is pretty bad - but the environments shine. Gorgeous world so far.

One minor complaint: you cannot pick up loot unless you holster your weapon. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic worlds and this one is definitely interesting me so far. Can't wait to dig in more.

I'm playing on XB1. Only about 1 hour in, but enjoying it so far. There is some pop-in and the lip-sync is pretty bad - but the environments shine. Gorgeous world so far.

One minor complaint: you cannot pick up loot unless you holster your weapon. Not that big of a deal, just kind of annoying.

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic worlds and this one is definitely interesting me so far. Can't wait to dig in more.

Sounds good. I have three questions.

Is the combat timed based or can you just mash away?

If you had to guess, 900p or 1080p?

Are the quests indeed fun with multiple choices?

Lucifon

Thanks for the info! Where did you get your copy early?

Any idea how it's running on Xbox One? Bad tearing? Framerate? I'm really torn between the pc and console version - I'd rather play on console but PC is less likely to perform badly.

Champloo4

On XB1 the framerate is 30. I'm not sure what the resolution is, guessing 1080. But it will be getting an 4k patch for X.
For combat, you can just mash away but you do have a stamina bar. You will get tired and wait a couple seconds for it to recharge.
Definitely has the "eurojank" but I love it lol.

On XB1 the framerate is 30. I'm not sure what the resolution is, guessing 1080. But it will be getting an 4k patch for X.
For combat, you can just mash away but you do have a stamina bar. You will get tired and wait a couple seconds for it to recharge.
Definitely has the "eurojank" but I love it lol.

Good to hear, sounds quite positive really.

I do wonder why the videos on Xbox itself have that bad screentearing. Maybe it's only in certain places. The patch isn't out yet is it?

gossi

Good to hear, sounds quite positive really.

I do wonder why the videos on Xbox itself have that bad screentearing. Maybe it's only in certain places. The patch isn't out yet is it?

You can tear at 30fps, basically if you can’t match that and vsync isn’t enabled. It’s good the XB1 version has a limit, they left PS4 unlocked and, uhm, it can’t keep up.

Re screen tearing though, I ton of 360 titles did it - eg Skyrim - and frankly I didn’t even notice back then. Considering this has 30 devs, it’s going to have technical issues competing with much bigger budget titles; it can’t.

Edit: DL size is around 30gb.

Thanks for the videos soulblighter, i'm already in but seeing Risen 3 made me realise that i miss it... lots. Can't wait for Elex now and yes my expectations are tempered by experience but i've always found enjoyment in these games so i know it's a game for me :)

Top Bottom