• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 months out, any excitement for Piranha Bytes' Elex?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBkx5aUrl0M

3 ( Actually 4 ) Highlights and 3 Negatives in this Video

Negatives:

- It pretty much looks bad. Animation is pretty bad, some textures are bland and sometimes you have clipping as shown in the video. They haven't found major or gamebreaking bugs.

- Fighting is bad. As you can see in the Videos, fighting is not really fun. You have a standard combo of 5 in which only the last strike really does damage. At least you have a lot of weapons to choose from.

- Controls are bad.

Positives:

- The World. The world is huuuge, bigger than any other PB game and Gothic 3 was pretty huge. It has a lot of variet and is pretty much a mix of cyberpunk and fantasy. Works really really well.

- Quests. The Quests are amazing. Biggest pro Factor of this Game is you have to take decisions. Basically in every quest you have a decision to take. Having a lot of groups, doing a quest in a certain way benefits one but harms another. This video describes 2 Scenarios:
1. By snitching on a guy and telling the "government" he has a fake ID, then they basically manipulate his thoughts with mind control. By snitching him, you later have the possibility to learn mind control.
2. You have to find a bow and you can decide if you give it to the apprentice ( who gives you money ) or the teacher, who gives you nothing, but lends you a hand later in the game with a big fight. Of course you can win the fight without him, but a lot later in the game thus making the loot less useful.

- The Game is Huge. You can play up to 80 hours in your first playthrough and you have a lot of replay value just by the fact that you take so many decisions that are game changing.

- The Atmosphere is amazing. You can easily "loose yourself" in the game which according to them, hasn't happened in a long time and was also a strong point of the gothic series.
sounds better than I expected

Don't know if you guys played it but I've started playing The Technomancer today and this game has the kind of combat system I would have liked to see in ELEX. Even the animations are a world of difference in combat compared to ELEX. And this is also a studio that you could compare to PB. Such a shame PB just isn't improving those things at all. Especially when they nail other things so well.

So it looks bad now? Because I would say the visuals in many videos look far from bad actually.

pLow7

Don't know if you guys played it but I've started playing The Technomancer today and this game has the kind of combat system I would have liked to see in ELEX. Even the animations are a world of difference in combat compared to ELEX. And this is also a studio that you could compare to PB. Such a shame PB just isn't improving those things at all. Especially when they nail other things so well.

So it looks bad now? Because I would say the visuals in many videos look far from bad actually.

Well in the Video they say if you look at the technical aspects, it is pretty outdated, which i have expected. Perhaps i have expressed myself wrongly, it's not that it looks bad, it's just not looking good.

Banzai

Negatives:

- It pretty much looks bad. Animation is pretty bad, some textures are bland and sometimes you have clipping as shown in the video. They haven't found major or gamebreaking bugs.

- Fighting is bad. As you can see in the Videos, fighting is not really fun. You have a standard combo of 5 in which only the last strike really does damage. At least you have a lot of weapons to choose from.

- Controls are bad.

Positives:

- The World. The world is huuuge, bigger than any other PB game and Gothic 3 was pretty huge. It has a lot of variet and is pretty much a mix of cyberpunk and fantasy. Works really really well.

- Quests. The Quests are amazing. Biggest pro Factor of this Game is you have to take decisions. Basically in every quest you have a decision to take. Having a lot of groups, doing a quest in a certain way benefits one but harms another. This video describes 2 Scenarios:
1. By snitching on a guy and telling the "government" he has a fake ID, then they basically manipulate his thoughts with mind control. By snitching him, you later have the possibility to learn mind control.
2. You have to find a bow and you can decide if you give it to the apprentice ( who gives you money ) or the teacher, who gives you nothing, but lends you a hand later in the game with a big fight. Of course you can win the fight without him, but a lot later in the game thus making the loot less useful.

- The Game is Huge. You can play up to 80 hours in your first playthrough and you have a lot of replay value just by the fact that you take so many decisions that are game changing.

- The Atmosphere is amazing. You can easily "loose yourself" in the game which according to them, hasn't happened in a long time and was also a strong point of the gothic series.

Sounds equal parts worrying and exciting. Ah well, I'll see.

I also didn't expect this thread to pop up again, so I added the release date to the OP. The thread title wasn't a great choice in hindsight.

Negatives:

- Controls are bad.

Positives:

So all the important stuff are good according to that. Sound promising

vesirott

Neo Member
Looks and sounds like a proper B grade game made by PB. Cant say that combat or animation were the highlight of G2 for example, but that game a fucking classic, right up there with SS2 and DeusEx. Shitty combat? - check. Awful animation? - check. Cheesy dialogue? - check. Day1 purchase!

My dad is hyped for this game

I need to go back and play some of the older Piranha Bytes games. I wish Gothic 1 and 2 didn't have such awful controls :(

Sentenza

It's a Piranha Bytes game alright
Pretty much.

I would gladly smash my game system with an axe before playing another "game" from Piranha Bytes.
fWx327.gif

Eldon

Negatives:

- Controls are bad.

Positives:

Judging by the video, I don't think it looks that bad.
The PROs you listed are awesome.

I am exited and I will get it eventually. Depends on how good it runs on PS4(pro). I fear the worst because even Risen 3 on PS4 ran like shit. I might wait for my new gaming PC then. But that will take a while.

I am exited and I will get it eventually. Depends on how good it runs on PS4(pro). I fear the worst because even Risen 3 on PS4 ran like shit. I might wait for my new gaming PC then. But that will take a while.

That is the problem because I'm solely a console gamer and was planning on playing it on the Xbox One X.

PB was talking about 4K and this and that on Pro for this game but maybe they need to sort their issues out first, the most glaring ones. I would consider a terrible framerate that. I guess we'll soon find out how it runs on console.

Maedre

Banned
Gothic 1 and 2 were awesome. Gothic 3 after the Fan patches was also really nice. Risen 1 too. But i don't like this fantasy scifi mix in Elex.

I will wait and see.

Surfside

Banned
Looks and sounds like a proper B grade game made by PB. Cant say that combat or animation were the highlight of G2 for example, but that game a fucking classic, right up there with SS2 and DeusEx. Shitty combat? - check. Awful animation? - check. Cheesy dialogue? - check. Day1 purchase!

The magic system was what made the combat in that game great.

Surely you mean Risen 3 ran like shit on PS3? I can get behind you on that, but the PS4 version was fine - 30 FPS - but decent enough.

I do worry about Elex's performance on PS4 though. I don't think we've actually seen it running on there yet. I've searched on YouTube, but all the videos I found were just pricks regurgitating PC videos and slapping PS4 in the description.

What I did discover in my internet travels, that even though I'm already locked in for this game - I'll admit my expectations were pretty low - it's actually looking much better than I envisioned. So smiles all round and bring on the 17th.

Pre-Ordered!

I'm a huge PB fan! Yea, their games are janky, and combat isn't always the best. But their RPGs are unique, I can never find an RPG that scratches by RPG itch as well as PB RPGs do. I'm always so immersed!

Do I want to join the old camp who has the coolest armor, but are the douchiest? Or do I want to join the fur clad mercenaries and their sweet two-handers? Or the hippies in the swamp?

I just can't get enough of the PB games.

Surely you mean Risen 3 ran like shit on PS3? I can get behind you on that, but the PS4 version was fine - 30 FPS - but decent enough.

I do worry about Elex's performance on PS4 though. I don't think we've actually seen it running on there yet. I've searched on YouTube, but all the videos I found were just pricks regurgitating PC videos and slapping PS4 in the description.

What I did discover in my internet travels, that even though I'm already locked in for this game - I'll admit my expectations were pretty low - it's actually looking much better than I envisioned. So smiles all round and bring on the 17th.

Ok that is good to read. Should hopefully mean ELEX will at least run decent on PS4 Pro and One X.

But again, why is this dev so deadset on not changing the combat system all that much? It's like I'm watching Risen 2.5 here. And yet we have a relatively similar developer Spiders that has significantly improved their shit in their games. I'm actually having a blast with the combat in The Technomancer.

Ricker

Releasing this in October,squeezed in by Shadow of War,South Park,EW 2,AC etc etc,is a mistake lol...I will grab it at some point because it sounds like the first Risen,only even bigger...might wait for the X1X as well in November or December buy when things calm down lol ;)

Was Risen 3 generally seen as bad or did people here actually quite enjoy it? I do remember seeing some footage of it and graphically speaking it didn't look too bad. I was sad it didn't come to Xbox One, yet it did release on 360, odd.

Lom1lo

Except the animations the game looks great imo. It has the worst casting animation I have ever seen lol. Waiting for the performance on the one before I buy this.

Lucifon

Do we have any idea how this performs on console yet? Not sure whether to grab it on Xbox with the promise of an X update or grab it cheaper on PC. I'd rather play it on a console in front of the tv, but I'm worried about performance.

Sentenza

Combat looks terrible, and I liked Risen.
Risen (1) has one of the best combats PB ever came up with.
But yeah, I suspect the over-abundance of ranged weapons here would really not play in favor of this one, even by their standards.

Was Risen 3 generally seen as bad or did people here actually quite enjoy it? I do remember seeing some footage of it and graphically speaking it didn't look too bad. I was sad it didn't come to Xbox One, yet it did release on 360, odd.

Mixed bag.
It starts absolutely dreadful, with a terrible opening section recycling poorly from the previous game.
It gets better with the hours and it even gets fairly engaging going on... Until at some point you realize it may probably have the most exploitable/unbalanced combat on any of their games beside maybe Gothic 3.

Banzai

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank

... yeah, I got nothing.

edit: wait, I'm gonna go with

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Elextric Boogaloo

That's a little better.

I'm looking forward to ELEX, in fact it may be my most hyped game for October. If it's anywhere near as good as Gothic 2 or Risen 1 I know I'll love it!
It'll probably let me down though like Risen 2 and 3 though...

venomenon

Elex |OT| Gothic 5: Risen From Jank
*like*

I'm hyped. Going in relatively blindly, but if I trust one dev with my money no matter what, it's PB.
I hope some assets that feel like they've been used since Gothic 1 (dialogue animations, for instance) return. :D

pLow7

Do we have any idea how this performs on console yet? Not sure whether to grab it on Xbox with the promise of an X update or grab it cheaper on PC. I'd rather play it on a console in front of the tv, but I'm worried about performance.

Can't talk for this game obviously, but Risen 2-3 were dreadful on last-gen consoles an performed very bad.
But Risen 3 got a HD Remaster on PS4 and it was really well done, performed smoothly and without any bugs, so it seems like they learned something in this aspect.

gossi

If you look on the game hub on Xbox One, some people have the game early.

I’ve watched about an hour of clips and... it doesn’t look too promising, technically.

There is extreme screen tearing. Peoples clothes flip through other items of clothes. The facial animations are, uhm, yeah. The first clip on the Hub is somebody who jet packs through the air, lands on a house and slides off - “End” appears on screen. He had died, basically.

It’s a lowish budget release though, hopefully it plays well.

I’ve watched about an hour of clips and... it doesn’t look too promising, technically.

There is extreme screen tearing. Peoples clothes flip through other items of clothes. The facial animations are, uhm, yeah. The first clip on the Hub is somebody who jet packs through the air, lands on a house and slides off - “End” appears on screen. He had died, basically.

Oh boy. Definitely sounds like the game won't be ready for that One X at all. Best to just wait it out and get it somewhere later down the line.

Besides that, The Technomancer will do me just fine right now, quite enjoying it and it will be Witcher 3 time when One X releases.

By the way, the uploader of this video claims this is the Xbox One X version, yeah right.

https://youtu.be/2xWAQRg9Tp0

gossi

Oh boy. Definitely sounds like the game won't be ready for that One X at all. Best to just wait it out and get it somewhere later down the line.

Besides that, The Technomancer will do me just fine right now, quite enjoying it and it will be Witcher 3 time when One X releases.

By the way, the uploader of this video claims this is the Xbox One X version, yeah right.

https://youtu.be/2xWAQRg9Tp0

That might actually be Xbox One X - it looks much better than the two players who have it on the Xbox One hub. Advanced warning, this game isn’t exactly The Witcher in looks.

Edit: I tracked down the footage, it originates from E3, the developer calls it “4K 60fps”, no platform is specified.

There is a day one patch that hasnt hit yet. FYI.

That might actually be Xbox One X - it looks much better than the two players who have it on the Xbox One hub. Advanced warning, this game isn’t exactly The Witcher in looks.

Edit: I tracked down the footage, it originates from E3, the developer calls it “4K 60fps”, no platform is specified.

Yeah if it's from E3 it's undoubtedly PC footage. They have been showing it only on PC really. I'm gonna check out the clips on my Xbox in a minute but damn, if it's already bad on base X1, they will have quite a job to do to make it good for One X I bet.

Drazgul

Negatives:

- Controls are bad.

Couldn't these largely be sidestepped by making a ranged build? Is pure ranged even viable?

Big worlds suck, I'm not sure why devs do that. Gothic 1, 2 and Risen had moderately sized worlds and were better for it.

Says you. The bigger the better.

I was watching a clip of the combat and yeah it looks very very similar to Risen 2 I would say but I don't know why, but I am OK with that. I don't think it's even going to bother me that much. Fact remains that several other very important things are done quite nicely here and those might just be the things that will make it worthwhile for me.

Drazgul

I was watching a clip of the combat and yeah it looks very very similar to Risen 2 I would say but I don't know why, but I am OK with that. I don't think it's even going to bother me that much. Fact remains that several other very important things are done quite nicely here and those might just be the things that will make it worthwhile for me.

For those of us who've played & enjoyed PB games in the past it'll always be fine, it's just a shame because it limits their mainstream appeal - they could have a much larger potential audience if they just sorted out their animations and brought them to this decade. First impressions are crucial for smaller games like this, and if the first thing people see is awkward animations and bad combat from Youtube reviews and trailers, they'll ditch it in a second.

Top Bottom