• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 months out, any excitement for Piranha Bytes' Elex?

Moff

Couldn't these largely be sidestepped by making a ranged build? Is pure ranged even viable?
Yes, Elex has the widest weapons selection in any of their games. Plenty of ranged weapons in it, especially in the Outlaws faction. Shotguns, Miniguns, Rocket Launchers, flame throwers etc.

Xater

Yeah if it's from E3 it's undoubtedly PC footage. They have been showing it only on PC really. I'm gonna check out the clips on my Xbox in a minute but damn, if it's already bad on base X1, they will have quite a job to do to make it good for One X I bet.

It's a PB game, so expect xonsole versions to be trash.

Lucifon

Is there any way to watch these Xbox clips on a PC? Also how did these folks get the game so early?

Edit - just seen them on the Windows Store. Goddamn, that tearing is bad. I don't mind some janky visuals but that level of tearing could be a dealbreaker.

zon

This sounds like a game I'll pick up when it goes on sale with a 50-75% discount, hopefully patches and mods have fixed the biggest flaws by then...

I was watching a clip of the combat and yeah it looks very very similar to Risen 2 I would say but I don't know why, but I am OK with that. I don't think it's even going to bother me that much. Fact remains that several other very important things are done quite nicely here and those might just be the things that will make it worthwhile for me.

Its not. The combat in PB games, with the exception of Gothic 3 and Risen 2 have always been with far more depth than people give them credit for. They're time based attacks that get richer as you evolve your character and unlock moves and you need to always time your hits perfectly tochain attacks. They're not hack n slash games and certainly not like how angry joe played Risen 2 or 3 and posted how its so shit.

There is a day one patch that hasnt hit yet. FYI.

I was thinking there could likely be one - so thanks for confirming and for the clips. Game is looking good to this PB fan - well yeah - apart from that screen tearing - that is actually pretty bad. Hopefully the patch helps or gives you an option to v-sync - drops to 20 might actually be preferable to that tearing. Also I'll be playing on PS4 Pro - so the extra power could help negate tearing there.

You haven't played the PS4 version perchance?

Gothos

I'll be reviewing it and I'm equaly scared and excited :D The most important fact is - no more freaking pirate themes. Risen 1 was really good so I'm optimistic :)

pLow7

Again, i played Risen 3 on PS4 and it run very well and looked good. Elex uses the same engine basically with some tweaks, so i assume it'll run smoothly.

Here is an interesting read:

https://www.worldofelex.de/en/game/the-engine

This part is interesting, but worrying at the same time:

A new graphical effect is global illumination, which calculates indirect lighting, through which the graphics seem a lot more realistic. Because of the high performance impact of realtime GI, GI is precalculated in many games and games with a day and night cycle often don't use GI. The use of global illumination together with a day and night cycle in Elex thus is a huge technical challenge. Piranha Bytes have mixed several approaches: For diffuse they create an unstructured grid of light probes in a pre-step, and each probe contains several informations, which are necessary to relight them with the current lighting situation in runtime. The light probes are then linked to a volume with the help of tetrahedral interpolation, so that the indirect lighting can be retrieved for every point in space. Furthermore Piranha Bytes prevent that indirect light propagates through thin walls, which is a typical problem of volume based global illumination. For reflexions Piranha Bytes calculates cubemaps for different points in space, which are adjusted to the current lighting situation and then interpolated with the help of the grid already used for diffused lighting.

Drazgul

Yes, Elex has the widest weapons selection in any of their games. Plenty of ranged weapons in it, especially in the Outlaws faction. Shotguns, Miniguns, Rocket Launchers, flame throwers etc.

I realize that, I meant more in the sense of gameplay and balance; are the ranged weapons just supplementary or can you get away with ranged only (ammo availability, specific skills, viability against harder enemies etc.) - guess we'll see soon enough.

Ok I'm watching the Xbox One videos of the game and I have to say it looks pretty decent in terms of graphics but the almost constant screentearing is ridiculous. Hope that day one patches removes that. Combat honestly looks better than expected and that world seems very nice to explore.

If they bring a good patch to One X that game could shine on it really.

For those of us who've played & enjoyed PB games in the past it'll always be fine, it's just a shame because it limits their mainstream appeal - they could have a much larger potential audience if they just sorted out their animations and brought them to this decade. First impressions are crucial for smaller games like this, and if the first thing people see is awkward animations and bad combat from Youtube reviews and trailers, they'll ditch it in a second.

That is so very true man. Most of my friends laugh at PB games and they clearly don't take me seriously when I tell them these games actually have tons of great things to offer and that they in fact do some things better than the few beloved titles out there.

I mean I played and finished the first Risen on 360 and boy that game was ugly as sin and that framerate was nothing to write home about but I couldn't put the game down.

Great music in these ELEX clips by the way. Love me some lovely music in games like these.
I saw one clip of fast travel and the loading times weren't even too bad.

I'm not planning on buying it for Xbox One on day one but these clips has me having high hopes for the One X patch for sure.

Moff

there are plenty of let's plays out right now, many of them playing on consoles, seems to run well.

the OT is done' I'll put it up on monday

Buckle

Couldn't these largely be sidestepped by making a ranged build? Is pure ranged even viable?
Basically what I did for Risen 2.

Wasn't a fan of melee in the first two games so I just switched to a shotgun. Gunplay wasn't really exciting or challenging but it was a lot less frustrating. Was pretty entertaining to see enemies fly off like a rocket after getting hit though.

I knew there was another reason I was going with Outlaws aside from the post apocalyptic aesthetic.

If there are miniguns and flamethrowers, chances are probably good I'm going ranged again.

DMiz

I actually like how the game looks. I think the way that they've managed to integrate the two styles of the world very well, in a way that I actually quite like.

That said, I still have yet to finish any of hte Risen games and feel that this is probably going to be a game that I should experience after those ones. Would most people agree, or is each Piranha Bytes game different enough that there isn't an iterative build up to each new title?

I actually like how the game looks. I think the way that they've managed to integrate the two styles of the world very well, in a way that I actually quite like.

That said, I still have yet to finish any of hte Risen games and feel that this is probably going to be a game that I should experience after those ones. Would most people agree, or is each Piranha Bytes game different enough that there isn't an iterative build up to each new title?

I don't think you need to play any of the others if you like the look of this. It might even be better not to. If this keeps (and it's looking like it does) the 'Piranha Bytes' feel then you might just get much more out of this game because it will be your first time experiencing it.

If you play any of there other games then I recommend Risen and Gothic 2. Play the others if you still want more after those.

Moff

I dont think so.
Gothic 2 was a big improvement over 1 in many ways.
in Gothic 3 they planned too big and failed.
Risen 1 was again much smaller and worked well, definitely their last really good game, although the last few hours were bad. it became a hack and slay in endless dark dungeons towards the end.
Risen 2 was a huge change in many mechanics, very streamlined and simplified. their worst game in my opinion.
they improved on that for Risen 3 but it was still not received well.

Elex is something completely new now, story and setting wise, but it will definitely be a Piranha Bytes game with all their strengths and weaknesses from what I have seen so far.
I don't think you need to finish any of the Risen games if you want to jump in on Elex. I am mildly optimistic but we'll see.

Wamb0wneD

The only actually excellent game they made was Gothic 2 and it's expansion. That's it. I'd be pleasently surprised if they managed to pull something good off.

Buckle

Really rooting for this one to be good because I love the concept so much.

Four different versions of the future all at war with each. Medieval magic vs futuristic tech vs Mad Max/Fallout post apocalypse vs whatever the hell the Albs are supposed to be.

Moff

Really rooting for this one to be good because I love the concept so much.

Four different versions of the future all at war with each. Medieval magic vs futuristic tech vs Mad Max/Fallout post apocalypse vs whatever the hell the Albs are supposed to be.

albs are a splinter group of clerics (the futuristic factions)
you will apparently also be able to create an own, independent faction.

Buckle

albs are a splinter group of clerics (the futuristic factions)
you will apparently also be able to create an own, independent faction.
Thats interesting.

Wonder if that could be a way to mix and match skills you wouldn't get/ordinarly be locked out of by following one of the other factions

I know PB likes to hide certain abilities behind those choices from playing Risen 1/2.

It's the #1 PC bestseller on amazon.de at the moment and the PC SKU is higher than the PS4 one. No idea what this means in absolute numbers, but at least it's something

Sendero

Looking forward for early comments, for this game. Specially for PC. Already pre-ordered it anyway, since -barring some serious showstopper bugs-- I'm well familiar on what kind of game is going to be.

I'm excited, actually.

No. This is a new franchise, so there is no need to play the other games for story purposes.

You can argue that Elex might happen on a future version of the world where Gothic or Risen happened. And there might be some eastern eggs/call backs to those games. But that's it.

Moff

Thats interesting.

Wonder if that could be a way to mix and match skills you wouldn't get/ordinarly be locked out of by following one of the other factions

I know PB likes to hide certain abilities behind those choices from playing Risen 1/2.

the three big factions will have very different skills, fantasy magic for the berserkers, psi powers for the clerics and chemical stims for the outlaws.
I too am interested how that will work with your own faction, but I wasn't able to find anything about it, it's just briefly mentioned in the games first review (gamestar) with like 2 seconds of footage.

Had no idea this game existed until today. Loved Gothic 2 and Risen 1. A little bummed out they're still not giving the option to play a female character though. :/ But I suppose given PB's history of strictly male protags they're just going with what they know.

I'm still not really sure picking this game up is a good idea, especially since I haven't enjoyed a PB game in a long time. But...

Screw it. It looks interesting enough to at least hold me over till Mario and .Hack come out. I've just pre-ordered it. Don't let me down.

Moff

Had no idea this game existed until today. Loved Gothic 2 and Risen 1. A little bummed out they're still not giving the option to play a female character though. :/ But I suppose given PB's history of strictly male protags they're just going with what they know.

I think it's a question of budget, it's a tiny studio and they like to make big games, so we only get 1 preset.
I would also have loved to play as a female character.

So Pro Support is right there on day 1? Or he's just playing it on Pro.

ESO has gameplay footage too of a press copy.

https://youtu.be/ovCzo_jmyZY

there will not be pro support at launch, but they said they are working on it.

I think it's a question of budget, it's a tiny studio and they like to make big games, so we only get 1 preset.
I would also have loved to play as a female character.

there will not be pro support at launch, but they said they are working on it.

I expect them to do Pro first and then One X. Gonna be a while before I pick this up then. But that game world looks damn nice and I already want to explore it. It looks lived in and there's clearly plenty to see and do. And I like some choices in the dialogues.

I wonder if ESO is playing this on Xbox or if it's PC with Xbox controller.

Buckle

It's the #1 PC bestseller on amazon.de at the moment and the PC SKU is higher than the PS4 one. No idea what this means in absolute numbers, but at least it's something
Despite all the negativity, PiranhaBytes definitely seem to have a following that sticks with them through the good and the bad.Sales across all three Risen games look solid.

They're probably already working on Elex as a trilogy.

Shatohin

Neo Member
What’ wrong with the doors?
Why the hell there is no doors in this game?
Is it lore wise or is it budget wise?
How the hell they suppose to keep their towns and buildings safe from thiefs and marauders without the doors...
Literally unplayable.

For PC, it's 34.79 on CD Key. And thankfully, even cheaper in other regions.

Yeah, PC always having the nice prices, haha. If I would buy a hard copy of ELEX it would set me back 47 euros. But I'm definitely going to wait. Have several RPGs left.

Looking good. Not seeing that tearing we saw last week. Patch must have fixed it.

Is it Tuesday yet? I need my PB jank!

Oh yeah you're right, I forgot all about that. Unless it was just in those areas but I doubt that. If PB makes a proper patch for X it could be a real looker, despite the jank.

Buckle

What' wrong with the doors?
How the hell they suppose to keep their towns and buildings safe from thiefs and marauders without the doors...
Literally unplayable.
As someone who played their previous games with no doors and robbed NPCs blind, I can happily tell you that they don't.

What’ wrong with the doors?
Literally unplayable.

Doors were clearly the first thing to go during the Apocalypse. Anyway who needs doors really? Think how much time you'd save if you didn't have to keep opening and closing and locking doors. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

pLow7

German Gamepro gave it 83% ( PS4 Version), they gave Risen 3 70% if anyone is interested.

Interesting part is, that they call the world the best RPG-world since Morrowind.

Moff

I don't trust German reviews either.
On the other hand, international outlets didn't really get Gothic 1 and 2 either, they have a lower metacritic than they deserve.

Top Bottom