• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 New Left 4 Dead Screens, 1st Infected Gameplay This Week On GTTV

JoeMartin

Sciz said:

Source always has been fine.

I still firmly believe that it is one of the most if not the most photo-realistic engines too. It has an extremely natural color palette and lighting model that make many of the scenes far more believable than most of the engines out there. Animation - especially facial animation - is top notch.

Sure the textures aren't the most technologically impressive, but Valve has a very special attention to detail that serves far better to suspension of disbelief than most of the usual shit-out-lacquer we get these days.

Stitch

Gold Member
JoeMartin said:

I still firmly believe that it is one of the most if not the most photo-realistic engines too. It has an extremely natural color palette and lighting model that make many of the scenes far more believable than most of the engines out there. Animation - especially facial animation - is top notch.

^This.

It looks much better than U3 for example, where everything looks like something from Toy Story.

dLMN8R

Guys, I don't know what's up with those screenshots - compression, enlarging past original resolution, whatever - but Left 4 Dead certainly looks beautiful in motion on a high-end PC. When I playtested it a couple months ago, it looked every bit as good as Episode Two, with even better lighting effects.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
It's obviously the PC version, with the text that's shown onscreen, plus the weapon selection style - shame on those that I thought knew better...

And while it's not looking so hot there, it's the gameplay that got me interested in the game, and from what I saw from the 360 version in videos, it looks and moves just fine...

the xbots need to praise Valve and Gabe as they are the only developers who are still supporting xbox 1... oh wait.. its either that or Gabe has unlocked secret hidden rams in the Wii. Either way no Sale.

Sciz

Unregistered007 said:
the xbots need to praise Valve and Gabe as they are the only developers who are still supporting xbox 1... oh wait.. its either that or Gabe has unlocked secret hidden rams in the Wii. Either way no Sale.
Don't worry, I'm sure EA will pick it up so you can play too, eventually.

JoeMartin said:

Sure the textures aren't the most technologically impressive, but Valve has a very special attention to detail that serves far better to suspension of disbelief than most of the usual shit-out-lacquer we get these days.
I agree completely. It always looked good, and it will for a long time because of the tech and the attention they give it. The only shit I can give Source is the loading isn't done nearly as well as some other games. Anyway L4D is going to be amazing. I can just feel it.

SpudBud

Unregistered007 said:
Damn you are bitter, but don't worry I'm sure it will be ported to the PS3 sooner or later.

vertopci

Unregistered007 said:

10woca8.png

Yeah, why would people be excited about Valve producing a 4-player co-op game with zombies and random respawning AI? That's just crazy. Oh, and it was made by the same studio that gave us Counterstrike.

I guess because it's not powered by CELL technology. :(

Volcynika

Damn you Valve, why are you bringing us a co-op zombie game, with flexible AI that changes the experience each time you play, ways to votekick assholes/griefers, post-release support as you do with TF2, and pretty much guaranteed fun with friends with voice chat!

This is bullshit!

Milabrega

Volcynika said:
Damn you Valve, why are you bringing us a co-op zombie game, with flexible AI that changes the experience each time you play, ways to votekick assholes/griefers, post-release support as you do with TF2, and pretty much guaranteed fun with friends with voice chat!

This is bullshit!

Don't forget those assholes are letting people play as the infected just so they can grief!

dLMN8R

Darkman M said:
Im predicting right now this game will have alot of backlash and not live up to the gaf hype.
Having played the game for a few hours, you couldn't be more wrong :lol :lol

Darkman M

dLMN8R said:
Having played the game for a few hours, you couldn't be more wrong :lol :lol

If i am ill gladly purchase the game, just from those screens the game doesn't look polished at all. The one video gameplay i saw looked no different from any other middle range budget 1rst or third person shooter.

dLMN8R

Darkman M said:
If i am ill gladly purchase the game, just from those screens the game doesn't look polished at all. The one video gameplay i saw looked no different from any other middle range budget 1rst or third person shooter.
Like I already said, these screenshots are not representative at all of the game's visual quality, let alone gameplay quality. Left 4 Dead looks every bit as good as Episode Two - one of the most beautiful games of 2007 regardless of technology.

The M.O.B

Some new articles/previews up for L4D.

Preview from VideoGamer.com

Interview with the writer of L4D, Chet Faliszek.

Chet Faliszek-writer of Left 4 Dead said:
Left 4 Dead's characters have slightly different reactions to the traumatic events that unfold. For example, some of the characters are familiar with the undead, having seen countless horror films, but some are not. "We have one character, Frances, who gets confused between infected being zombies or vampires," says Faliszek, "because he's not of the world of zombie movies

Can't wait to see screens of the Airport campaign.

Chowfahn

Neo Member
saelz8 said:
NO ZOMBIE IS SAFE FROM CHICAGO TED.

Honestly, I can't fucking wait for this game, and especially the mods. Apparently there's a lot of desire for a cruise ship level on the Left 4 Dead 411 forums. Which would be pretty cool, although I can't think of any good reason to have M-16s and shotguns on a cruise ship. Maybe an improvised weapons mod?

Dabanton

Unregistered007 said:

Absolutely pathetic. :lol

Avvza

Unregistered007 said:

Good for you Kyle.

The M.O.B

MNC said:
I want my old Zoey ;-;

In a lot of valve games, there are models,skins,textures that were scrapped but are still accessible. Maybe they wont remove the old model entirely so we can put it back in.

I don't have a preference between the two sets of models so im fine with it.

Hunter D

People say they want the old zoey back, why? She has the same face that she had before the change to the clothes, the one she had in portal.

raYne

RBH

Unregistered007 said:
Cry more, little baby. :lol

Hunter D

raYne said:
It is a smaller change compared to the others, yes.. but basically battle hardened fighter > some girl that just walked out of Old Navy and saw some "monsters or something".

edit:

Old Zoey <3.
The new design fits the game better IMO. How many zombie movies have you seen where the main character(s) are dressed for combat?

bee

Fixed2BeBroken said:
but i cant lay back and chill on my couch with a keyboard and mouse....like i can with a controller

hook up a 360 controller to your pc then

Tbh I still find the source engine more asthetically pleasing that what is considered top of the pile these days. It has a certain realness, gritty quality that crysis, ue3 etc is missing entirely.

ps, I will be playing this game A LOT.

raYne

Hunter D said:
The new design fits the game better IMO. How many zombie movies have you seen where the main character(s) are dressed for combat?
The new designs only make sense if the outbreak just started. Considering how widespread it is, how many zombies there are, the state of the city and the fact that they're pretty much all that's left.. that certainly isn't the case.

So no, it really doesn't fit the game better.

Formless

MrPing1000 said:
Tbh I still find the source engine more asthetically pleasing that what is considered top of the pile these days. It has a certain realness, gritty quality that crysis, ue3 etc is missing entirely.

ps, I will be playing this game A LOT.
Agreed. The game looks SUPERB in motion from all the videos, so these screens don't really bother me in that regard either.

FightyF

Banned
Unregistered007 said:

It's the FINAL MELTDOWN *insert synth line here*[/Europe]

Never understood the hype for this game. It's always looked pretty poor to me...and I enjoy co-op, but I dunno, I have a feeling other co-op games will be way better this fall.

rod

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
Never understood the hype for this game. It's always looked pretty poor to me...and I enjoy co-op, but I dunno, I have a feeling other co-op games will be way better this fall.

its valve+zombies+fast coop action. whats not to like?

rod said:
its valve+zombies+fast coop action. whats not to like?

I don't see how zombies is anymore of a talking point than aliens or other monsters that you kill in games.

It just has really poor graphics to me...I hate using the word generic, but that's what it looks like. It'll be fun, because honestly, what co-op games aren't really fun? I just feel that there are better co-op titles coming out that I'd much rather play this fall.

Top Bottom